(Topic ID: 125794)

ColorDMD Announces Support for Metallica! (Official)

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MET_Thone_(resized).PNG
install_firmware_(resized).png
MET_Sparky_HiRes.png
20150430_212836.jpg
20150430_212832.jpg
20150430_212827.jpg
image.jpg
MET_Thone.PNG
image.jpg
333527.gif
DSC00961.jpg
transogram-swing-wing-4c.jpg
Oh-My-God-Its-In.jpg

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

Looks awesome. Can't wait to come over and see it in person.

#52 8 years ago

Woohoo! Got mine installed and played a couple games before leaving for Allentown. During the second game, I knocked one of the teeth out of the snake's mouth. Time to place another Mezelmods order.

#53 8 years ago

Had a minor heart attack trying to update mine this morning in the rush before work.

First - a little back story: When I got the sigma for my Metallica, the board fritzed out and died after a few days. I did the standard troubleshooting, then Randy had me try some other things, one of which was re-flashing the boot loader (which you do by putting a different rom file on the USB drive and it auto detects and runs) which didn't work and I ended up swapping the board out for a new one and it's been fine.

Now, today: I grabbed the colordmd.rom and went to install it. Plugged in the USB drive, turned the game on and just after a second or so the display shifted to a different color and then went off. I hadn't touched any menu buttons yet, so I wasn't sure what was going on. My brain immediately jumps to "oh crap, the board died again - is it my USB drive? is there something odd with the voltage in my game? CRAP!". So I turned it off and started doing standard trouble shooting from the colordmd support page. Voltage looks ok, leds are doing the right things, but it never comes on. Went to email Randy my tales of woe and noticed the bit about the boot loader re-flash in the old email chain, and realized what happened. The boot loader rom was still on the thumb drive, so it was auto-writing the boot loader and I didn't realize it. Thankfully, my interrupting it in the middle didn't kill anything (or I waited just long enough before turning it off the first time) and when I let it run it's full course, the bootloader & color rom programmed ok. And of course, it looks awesome. Just from watching the attract mode I don't think I'll stick with the smoothing now that it's colorized. I liked the HD mode in sigma, but it doesn't look right with the color for me. So XLDots it is.

tl;dr: Some dope almost wrecked his display by leaving a special bootloader rom on the USB drive.

#54 8 years ago

Wow!! Released at 4am central time. Does not seem like Randy ever sleeps.

#55 8 years ago

Got it on my thumb drive. Might get to try it briefly tonight but otherwise this weekend!

Jaz

#56 8 years ago

Going to be a little late to work, but it was worth it to get a game in with the color. This really looks fantastic!

I now have a serious problem though: My GnR sits between Metallica and AC/DC, both with Color DMDs. GnR looks terrible now. lol

I can't wait to buy another one if GnR gets finished.

#57 8 years ago

what gives ? I look on the webpage & its still says coming soon ??

#58 8 years ago

oohh nevermind I found it

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

what gives ? I look on the webpage & its still says coming soon ??

The purchase item may not have been updated yet, but the color file is on the support page (http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html).

Edit: Doh, too slow.

#60 8 years ago

Blargh!!!!! I knew I should have checked Pinside before heading into the office. Maybe I'll sneak home at lunch to load the ROM and play a game or twelve.

#61 8 years ago

Updated my display and played a few games before work! IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE!!!!!!

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Updated my display and played a few games before work! IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE!!!!!!

Well said Greg!

#63 8 years ago

I have a Metallica Premium Monsters, is this Color DMD easy to install in this version?

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from chuck1972:

I have a Metallica Premium Monsters, is this Color DMD easy to install in this version?

It's easy to install in all versions. In the original premiums you wouldn't need the newer bits that are required for the new style head. A few screws, a few wires to plug in. Done.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Come on...quit holding back...tell us how you really feel!

I must go home!

#66 8 years ago

OK, 7 hours is enough work for today. Time to go look at some colored dots.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

OK, 7 hours is enough work for today. Time to go look at some colored dots.

I guess I should update the machine to the latest code whilst I'm in there. Jesus I'm lazy.

#68 8 years ago

Going to run a short stream of Metallica with my ColorDMD now updated. Hopefully I can play well enough to see some animations! Come on and check it out.
http://www.twitch.tv/mcsirtuna

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

Going to run a short stream of Metallica with my ColorDMD now updated.

Awesome stream quality! I clicked on it right when you started Battery. Nice slide save, immediately punished by the right outlane.

#70 8 years ago

Nice looking pin Tuna!

#71 8 years ago

Gonna check it out when I get home

#72 8 years ago

I hate the ColorDMD on Metallica. Do you have any idea how many balls I drained to watch the animations ?

#73 8 years ago

I had the same problem with wanting to watch the animations vs. playing. I'll be glad to start up the stream again a bit later tonight if anyone still wants to catch it. I'll start up again at 9:30 EST for a bit.

Thanks for the compliments on the stream too. I'm looking for feedback as I've mainly been trying to get it to work good technically. I know it may not have the flashy backgrounds or anything yet and i'm debating to try and do 4 cameras to get a player cam too as I do like having the low angle view too.

#74 8 years ago

I have a few more games in now, and this is just an incredible upgrade. I had the cdmd tied into the speaker lights, so I was pretty used to the same colors flashing all of the time. The color looks great on its own, but it really offsets the other lighting effects very nicely. I am not going to have even a decent game for a while; too busy looking at everything. I have enjoyed playing AFM with cdmd at a show, and it looks great on my AC/DC, but neither of those compares to this. Nice work!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I hate the ColorDMD on Metallica. Do you have any idea how many balls I drained to watch the animations ?

I thought this was a kind of funny post and a little sad at the same time....and then it happened to me again & again

Damn that shit looks nice. I have it on the standard smoothing now, and it doesn;t bother me like some other games I've seen. I'll try out some other modes later.

#76 8 years ago

Just want to thank everyone who made this happen. It's pretty incredible. Excellent job.

Here are a few random attract mode pics. To me the game now looks perfect and finished.

20150430_212827.jpg20150430_212827.jpg
20150430_212836.jpg20150430_212836.jpg20150430_212832.jpg20150430_212832.jpg

#77 8 years ago

Just installed on my METLE, the only colours that show are showing are

mainly orange for the pics
Some yellow and white for outlines, scoring and text

I re-seated all the cables and reinstalled the rom

Previously I had the sigma rom installed with purple so I know other colours are available

Any ideas?

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

Just installed on my METLE, the only colours that show are showing are
mainly orange for the pics
Some yellow and white for outlines, scoring and text
I re-seated all the cables and reinstalled the rom
Previously I had the sigma rom installed with purple so I know other colours are available
Any ideas?

Kinda sounds like you got the wrong rom and it isn't recognizing frames right. If you go into the menu, what rom does it say you're running?

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Kinda sounds like you got the wrong rom and it isn't recognizing frames right. If you go into the menu, what rom does it say you're running?

I used a different USB 3.0 Key and re-downloaded the rom and all is good

#80 8 years ago

I just installed and made a quick video of the DOTXL mode of the DMD. I will soon post a Highres mode to compare the difference. ColorDMD for Metallica looks great, good job at ColorDMD on this one. All of the ColorDMD's look great on my machines.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/metallica-video-gameplay-with-color-dmd-dotxl-mode/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#81 8 years ago

Wiggy, thanks for posting all those ColorDMD videos. They look great, and I'm sure they help potential buyers evaluate the product.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Wiggy, thanks for posting all those ColorDMD videos. They look great, and I'm sure they help potential buyers evaluate the product.

Thanks Razorback, appreciate it.

Here is another video done in the High-Res Mode. I personally like this mode.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/metallica-video-gameplay-with-color-dmd-highres-mode/

#83 8 years ago

Huh, in your videos the bonus is in full color before and after the flips - mine goes to solid drab default color before the flip, is ok during the totals, then goes back to drab after the flip for the total. HMPH.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Huh, in your videos the bonus is in full color before and after the flips - mine goes to solid drab default color before the flip, is ok during the totals, then goes back to drab after the flip for the total. HMPH.

What version you running there Eric? v1.63 is the latest I think...

Keith

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

What version you running there Eric? v1.63 is the latest I think...
Keith

I think I'm up to date, but not sure.

#86 8 years ago

DotXL = bliss

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

DotXL = bliss

I did try the different settings and, for this title, definitely agree that I think DotXL is the best.

Up until now, I had thought that the Simpsons was their best show to date. I think Metallica has now replaced that one at the top of the totem pole. Well done gentlemen!

Jaz

#88 8 years ago

Man, just wanna say THANKS again to ColorDMD and the dudes who colored this game. Looks SO. F-ING. KILLER!!!!!

If I was allowed to make one suggestion - When the Snake gets hit by lightning in the "Fade to Black" Intro...I always imagined he would be completely charred...not just his tongue. Wouldn't mind seeing that revised if the colorists agree. Minor nitpick....everything just looks incredible.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, hah. I just realized why this is happening. I changed "Bonus" to "Boner" when I was replacing sounds with pinball browser. Dammit! heheh.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, hah. I just realized why this is happening. I changed "Bonus" to "Boner" when I was replacing sounds with pinball browser. Dammit! heheh.

That could certainly do it (depending on how the frame was masked and tagged).

Jaz

#91 8 years ago

Can you use the 5 volt connector that's already going to the original DMD or do you have to tap the aux power near the front ?

#92 8 years ago

The Sigma Rom was good but full color version is AWESOME!!!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Can you use the 5 volt connector that's already going to the original DMD or do you have to tap the aux power near the front ?

I assume it needs both 5 & 12 volt , looks great !

#94 8 years ago

I'm definitely liking dotsxl on this. Just blows the other colordmds I've seen out of the water... awesome job!

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Edited my rom back and it's in color through the BONER .. er BONUS like it should be. But now I can't chuckle like a 10 year old at the end of every ball.

#96 8 years ago
#97 8 years ago

RIP Boner Chekov.

#98 8 years ago

Wanting to upgrade to the colorDMD but I am confused as I would like to sell my original display once I have the color one in. I thought all the newer SAM machines used the red LED displays? Through the threads it appears the original display is orange with a red plastic cover over the display and if you order thru colorDMD's site you need to buy the clear display shield. So the original one in my machine now is a orange LED display? Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying my original display PM me and it will be available soon after I put the colorDMD in. Thanks!

#99 8 years ago

http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-metallica-pinball-machine/

Web site says "currently unavailable".
When will this be available?

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Wanting to upgrade to the colorDMD but I am confused as I would like to sell my original display once I have the color one in. I thought all the newer SAM machines used the red LED displays? Through the threads it appears the original display is orange with a red plastic cover over the display and if you order thru colorDMD's site you need to buy the clear display shield. So the original one in my machine now is a orange LED display? Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying my original display PM me and it will be available soon after I put the colorDMD in. Thanks!

Both the original METs and the new ones ship with an LED display (not a plasma). The LED modules use red LEDs in a white faced 8x8 array.

The older games shipped with a clear shield with a red removable filter between the shield and the LED display.

The newer games (with the angled metal speaker panel) ship with a red shield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-support-for-metallica-official/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.