(Topic ID: 205102)

ColorDMD Announces Support for Game of Thrones! - UPDATE FOR 1.37!!!

By Dmod

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sigils (resized).PNG
GOT_Jaime (resized).PNG
20180109_202059 (resized).jpg
5D569318-B47A-4EDD-AAE3-9B90E8EEDD1A.gif
ColorDMD GoT (resized).JPG
89A041F3-7DFE-45AF-AAF1-8317BF37576E (resized).jpeg
B86A0653-EDE9-433D-9A6B-52866FFAB84B (resized).jpeg
BA2E90E2-540F-42E2-8755-495B6C611827 (resized).jpeg
E438D578-CBB0-4E1E-B8B7-0C87A2AE5A06 (resized).jpeg
4903CDC8-565B-43E7-AEA2-811FC4BABAB7 (resized).jpeg
97FA1FEB-C00B-4B41-8CC4-ED0DBBD7A0F9 (resized).jpeg
727BD91A-12FF-40F8-89D1-FA751F16B342 (resized).jpeg
8684A131-8FB7-4E31-A1C1-166FCB76E0B1 (resized).jpeg
649DF286-EE8C-4D50-9EB5-7011EE5C8B2E (resized).jpeg
7B5E526B-C243-4A52-B6F2-2EA8B490771A (resized).jpeg
2C2DFF7D-88E8-4931-BC2A-E53F2A11040D (resized).jpeg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago

PinB did you get it working?

#152 6 years ago

I just installed this and WOW! Great job!

Now I can’t wait for Ghost Busters to get the Color DMD treatment.

#153 6 years ago

Both “Battle for the Wall” and “Winter is Coming” with ColorDMD is a remarkable experience for any Game of Thrones machine. So many new insights with these colors. 4903CDC8-565B-43E7-AEA2-811FC4BABAB7 (resized).jpeg4903CDC8-565B-43E7-AEA2-811FC4BABAB7 (resized).jpegE438D578-CBB0-4E1E-B8B7-0C87A2AE5A06 (resized).jpegE438D578-CBB0-4E1E-B8B7-0C87A2AE5A06 (resized).jpeg

#154 6 years ago

Installation instructions for SPIKE are now on posted on the hardware SUPPORT page of our site. Thanks to Chris for getting this together.

#155 6 years ago

Thanks ColorDMD for fast shipping and a great product. I must say I was hesitant in the past to purchase because of the cost, but after seeing the product and all that must go into it, I now understand. This is a must for this game. Excellent job!

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

pinb did you get it working?

Yes, I’m up & running! (LED on GOT LE) Reseated connectors & all is good now. Game looks awesome. ColorDMD rules. Buy all their stuff!

BA2E90E2-540F-42E2-8755-495B6C611827 (resized).jpegBA2E90E2-540F-42E2-8755-495B6C611827 (resized).jpeg
B86A0653-EDE9-433D-9A6B-52866FFAB84B (resized).jpegB86A0653-EDE9-433D-9A6B-52866FFAB84B (resized).jpeg
89A041F3-7DFE-45AF-AAF1-8317BF37576E (resized).jpeg89A041F3-7DFE-45AF-AAF1-8317BF37576E (resized).jpeg

#157 6 years ago

Led looks great too hmm...

#158 6 years ago

Glad you guys are liking it! Just wanted to mention/thank a few folks for helping me get to the finish line on this one.

Randy for putting up with all my feature requests and test compiles. Every time I went over the memory limit he had to figure out a way to make it fit. Hah. He won, dang it. He put a lot of work into rewriting the engine to handle some of the more complex scenes and compression to make the large amount of frames fit.

Chris for putting together a fantastic well choreographed video and doing the yucky manual work. Bleh.

debaser helped me find scenes and identify characters!

Underspin 's wife, Shannon helped me find scenes, characters and did a lot of work with finding the frames for most of Arya's kill list. Wow!

The play testers as mentioned previously. Squishing bugs is fun!!

My friend David for pushing me to take the long way on coloring some things. And helping with picking colors

Glad this one is done. Whew!!

#159 6 years ago

It's amazing to see scenes as brand new to the game.

Thanks!

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Glad you guys are liking it! Just wanted to mention/thank a few folks for helping me get to the finish line on this one.
Randy for putting up with all my feature requests and test compiles. Every time I went over the memory limit he had to figure out a way to make it fit. Hah. He won, dang it. He put a lot of work into rewriting the engine to handle some of the more complex scenes and compression to make the large amount of frames fit.
Chris for putting together a fantastic well choreographed video and doing the yucky manual work. Bleh.
debaser helped me find scenes and identify characters!
underspin 's wife, Shannon helped me find scenes, characters and did a lot of work with finding the frames for most of Arya's kill list. Wow!
The play testers as mentioned previously. Squishing bugs is fun!!
My friend David for pushing me to take the long way on coloring some things. And helping with picking colors
Glad this one is done. Whew!!

Fabulous work! I don't have my colordmd yet for GoT, but maybe sometime in January. I'm almost tempted to pull my new chroma display out of my IMVE, but I'm just making more work for myself.

Rob

#161 6 years ago

Installed and looking great! I'm usually a Hi Res guy but I'll admit dotsxl really clarifies the movie scenes well. There's images that I could never make out before that look awesome now. Great work guys!

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Installed and looking great! I'm usually a Hi Res guy but I'll admit dotsxl really clarifies the movie scenes well. There's images that I could never make out before that look awesome now. Great work guys!

For games with video clips, dots or dotsXL is the only way to go, IMHO. All the other modes look like crap in comparison.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Anyone with the LED-display, please post video how the new screens look with it!

Sure! Just installed the LED display this morning - it is MIND BLOWING! Love it. Video link below

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Sure! Just installed the LED display this morning - it is MIND BLOWING! Love it. Video link below
» YouTube video

Thanks, looks mighty good! I think I'll go for the LED-version myself as well!

#165 6 years ago

Here’s a longer video (<20min) of a 4 player game with my ColorDMD in scan mode. It also shows my new interactive cabinet lights.

#166 6 years ago

My colors seem a bit washed out. I have it on dotsxl contrast 4-5 and backlight at seven. I also have the LCD version but I could swap it out for a LED I have in walking dead. Is the LED the way to go because we are dealing with movie clip animations? Also is the status supposed to be all yellow with no color? Either way much better than the original.

#167 6 years ago

I own a lot of color dmds,all lcd so I can't speek of led displays but this game has truly been transformed,I am really enjoying what I could never see before,I was debating to do game of thrones because of my disappointment with Spider-Man but wow just fantastic.,good job guys

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

My colors seem a bit washed out. I have it on dotsxl contrast 4-5 and backlight at seven. I also have the LCD version but I could swap it out for a LED I have in walking dead. Is the LED the way to go because we are dealing with movie clip animations? Also is the status supposed to be all yellow with no color? Either way much better than the original.

Try back light at 9

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I own a lot of color dmds,all lcd so I can't speek of led displays but this game has truly been transformed,I am really enjoying what I could never see before,I was debating to do game of thrones because of my disappointment with Spider-Man but wow just fantastic.,good job guys

Eric did a great job with spiderman! GoT has the advantage of more dots per each video frame. 88x32 for Spiderman, 128x32 for GoT, and I think 4 more shades per dot.

#170 6 years ago

For those of you debating between the LCD and LED display, here's my take on it. I personally prefer the look of the LCD, and this is the route I choose to go with all my games. The LED is brighter, but the images look nicer to me on the LCD. The dots on the LCD have an almost painterly quality to them, as opposed to the harsher points of light you get with the LED. You also have the added advantage of the different modes with the LCD. DotsXL is awesome for a game like this with a lot of video clips.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It needs 1.3b because that revision includes more RAM which is required to store the monster size that GOT is. If the only display you've got is the older style and you don't want to spring for a new one (and use the current display in some other game) you can have the old board updated with a new chip. Here's a quote from Randy in a thread about Spiderman when this first became an issue:

The 64Mb chip is obsolete and NLA from a number of places already. If ColorDMD is already running out of memory and having to make color/shade concessions, why not use the 128Mb chip? Will the controller only map out 64Mb of address space? It's literally only like $2-3 more for the 128Mb chip in onsie-twosie quantity, and probably much less by the hundreds. I want KISS to be concession free with plenty of memory for shading the live video!

#172 6 years ago

Some more gameplay footage. I’m still running scan mode, I like the look of it.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

The source (display) on Spider-Man is trash. Compressed, contrast blown out. It only gets so good with color. Turning down the contrast value in the Colordmd helps fix some of the crap.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If ColorDMD is already running out of memory and having to make color/shade concessions

No concessions were made. Compression was rewritten ( twice) to fit more data in the same space.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

No concessions were made. Compression was rewritten ( twice) to fit more data in the same space.

On GoT some of the anti-aliasing on edges of characters on certain of the very dark or very light scenes is abrupt, so what I was trying to say I guess is with a 128Mb chip there could be more graduations of color on the edges of things on the live video to help it look more natural. Given that the cost difference is only a couple bucks between the 64Mb and the 128Mb, seems like a good, relatively cheap "future-proofing" trade.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The source (display) on Spider-Man is trash. Compressed, contrast blown out. It only gets so good with color. Turning down the contrast value in the Colordmd helps fix some of the crap.

Yeah, GoT has some of that too, which leads to some of the hard edges and colored edges. Can't color black dots. They really jacked up the contrast on somethings. Did the best I could.

#177 6 years ago

I can’t get over how much more I enjoy my game now. It JUST MAKES SENSE. For example the Lannister house quest is called Save Marcella. The 1st shot up the ramp plays the clip when in the tv show Jamie and Bronn see Tyrell solders coming. The 2nd shot up the ramp is Jamie hiding in the grass. The 3rd shot plays the clip of the solders confronting Jamie and Bronn. Then you start the quest if you choose to.

House Stark, 1st shot, Arya gets her sword. 2nd shot, she’s training in kings landing. 3rd shot, she’s heading to bravos to become a faceless man. Then the quest starts and she calls out her hit list.

The colour video is so much easier to make out. It adds so much to the cohesion of the game.

Well done.

#178 6 years ago

Hey all. So, I just tried installing the ColorDMD in my GoT. Started off with the Sigma rom, then installed the GoT ROM. Went into my settings, changed things to my liking (yes it showed GoT 3.0), re-entered my Key, saved and exited, blank screen. As soon as I press any of the menu buttons, menu pops right up, no issues.

Any suggestions??

#179 6 years ago

Maybe you installed the wrong ROM. There is colordmd and chroma. Check your board and see which one you have, then download the appropriate rom.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Hey all. So, I just tried installing the ColorDMD in my GoT. Started off with the Sigma rom, then installed the GoT ROM. Went into my settings, changed things to my liking (yes it showed GoT 3.0), re-entered my Key, saved and exited, blank screen. As soon as I press any of the menu buttons, menu pops right up, no issues.
Any suggestions??

#180 6 years ago

Disregard.....just tried a fresh install and all seems good.

#181 6 years ago

Received my ColorDMD, installed no problem.

I set all my games at Scan, and use the low contrast, high brightness settings posted in this thread.

I checked my older colordmds, and they were set the opposite (just from my lack of understanding) so everything looks better now. Thanks to those that posted about this.

#182 6 years ago

So, will we ever see KISS get the color treatment?

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

So, will we ever see KISS get the color treatment?

Will we ever see KISS get finished code is the better question.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Call me crazy, I really enjoy the game as it is.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Call me crazy, I really enjoy the game as it is.

I like the game as well, but it's ridiculous that the code is still incomplete after all this time.

#186 6 years ago

No source videos, so it's impossible at this time to colorize the video segments.

Quoted from gweempose:

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

No source videos, so it's impossible at this time to colorize the video segments.

Those videos have to be on some concert DVD or something somewhere.

#188 6 years ago

I don't own this game, but WOW great job. This really looks great and hats off to everyone that worked on these dots.

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those videos have to be on some concert DVD or something somewhere.

A big needle in the haystack I think!

Rob

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I like the game as well, but it's ridiculous that the code is still incomplete after all this time.

At least a final update is on the way. The code has so much promise as it is better than tons of games already so anything that makes it better, will be nice.

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Will be a shame if KISS doesn't get done.

I dream of finished code and a color DMD - might then be my favorite game of all time.

#191 6 years ago

Is there a way to look on the ColorDMD and tell if it can handle this rom? Can't recall if I have the newer one or not...

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Is there a way to look on the ColorDMD and tell if it can handle this rom? Can't recall if I have the newer one or not...

Check the size of the memory chip on the circuit board. I think it's at position U4 (has 8 legs, 4x2). It can be upgraded, and the chip is a few bucks, but it's surface mount, so it's not super easy.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

If it's an older display, it will show show REV 1.3B at the edge of the board if it has the larger memory. For newer displays, it will say Chroma A1 (or A2) beneath the ColorDMD logo.

#194 6 years ago

GOT looks fantastic.... Thank you color DMD. Will you be releasing another title first quarter 2018? If so who ya gonna call?

#195 6 years ago

Man, winter has come multiball just got 10X better with color dmd. I’ve owned GOT for 2 years and never saw Jon Snow slay the white walker on the display til now. Oh and the dragons during all 3 Targaryan modes, balls! This colorization of GOT is amazing!

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Man, winter has come multiball just got 10X better with color dmd. I’ve owned GOT for 2 years and never saw Jon Snow slay the white walker on the display til now. Oh and the dragons during all 3 Targaryan modes, balls! This colorization of GOT is amazing!

Glad you're enjoying it. Hearing this keeps me motivated for the next

And after a year and a half, I can finally put my backglass back in lol.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

2. Mounting. Don’t forget about the clear plastic color dmd guard which is at the bottom of the box under the foam.

I finally received my ColorDMD LCD today but I cant install it properly. There are no hex extenders and there is no plastic guard inside the box.
Does it supposed to come with it? I especially ordered the GOT version to make sure that I could mount it. Darn.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

I finally received my ColorDMD LCD today but I cant install it properly. There are no hex extenders and there is no plastic guard inside the box.
Does it supposed to come with it? I especially ordered the GOT version to make sure that I could mount it. Darn.

Go to a glass shop with the red plastic piece and have them cut you a clear one. It will probably cost $10.

For the standoffs, go to a computer store and ask for 8 of the brass standoffs used to mount computer motherboards. Those will work.

Once you have this all collected, it goes like this.. Clear plastic down, black spacers, original nuts, brass standoffs (4), lcd panel, 4 more brass standoffs to hold the lcd in place. Do not overtighten the last 4 standoffs, snug.

Rob

#199 6 years ago

Yes Mine came with all of that. I think the plastic protector was under the bottom piece of foam. Extenders were with the rest of the hardware.

Edit: See the post below. I did order the $24 kit.

#200 6 years ago

Did you select the $24 add-on for the shield and the extenders when you bought the ColorDMD?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-support-for-game-of-thrones/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.