(Topic ID: 205102)

ColorDMD Announces Support for Game of Thrones! - UPDATE FOR 1.37!!!

By Dmod

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sigils (resized).PNG
GOT_Jaime (resized).PNG
20180109_202059 (resized).jpg
5D569318-B47A-4EDD-AAE3-9B90E8EEDD1A.gif
ColorDMD GoT (resized).JPG
89A041F3-7DFE-45AF-AAF1-8317BF37576E (resized).jpeg
B86A0653-EDE9-433D-9A6B-52866FFAB84B (resized).jpeg
BA2E90E2-540F-42E2-8755-495B6C611827 (resized).jpeg
E438D578-CBB0-4E1E-B8B7-0C87A2AE5A06 (resized).jpeg
4903CDC8-565B-43E7-AEA2-811FC4BABAB7 (resized).jpeg
97FA1FEB-C00B-4B41-8CC4-ED0DBBD7A0F9 (resized).jpeg
727BD91A-12FF-40F8-89D1-FA751F16B342 (resized).jpeg
8684A131-8FB7-4E31-A1C1-166FCB76E0B1 (resized).jpeg
649DF286-EE8C-4D50-9EB5-7011EE5C8B2E (resized).jpeg
7B5E526B-C243-4A52-B6F2-2EA8B490771A (resized).jpeg
2C2DFF7D-88E8-4931-BC2A-E53F2A11040D (resized).jpeg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago

YES!!! This is EPIC!!
Install...program...Enjoy!

IMG_20171221_063145 (resized).jpgIMG_20171221_063145 (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago

No, you need 1.3b or later (chroma) with the increased 64mbit flash memory. Same requirement for Spiderman, Transformers, etc

Quoted from vbittnv:

Wait, Will this work with version 1.3 or 1.3a boards?? Sure hope so!

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

Wait, Will this work with version 1.3 or 1.3a boards?? Sure hope so!

It needs 1.3b because that revision includes more RAM which is required to store the monster size that GOT is. If the only display you've got is the older style and you don't want to spring for a new one (and use the current display in some other game) you can have the old board updated with a new chip. Here's a quote from Randy in a thread about Spiderman when this first became an issue:

Quoted from Dmod:

If you have someone locally who can replace a surface mount IC, it's an easy replacement and will be more cost effective than replacing a controller board. The IC that needs to be replaced is U3 near the AUX connector. The new part number is
Cypress S25FL164K0XMFI011
These parts are available from sources like Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cypress-semiconductor-corp/S25FL164K0XMFI011/1274-1097-ND/4457674)
Rob Anthony (Borygard) has indicated he is able to provide this service to customers who need to upgrade a board. Please contact him for pricing.

#104 6 years ago

Love it!!!!

On DOTXL seems the best. Can some one give me guidance on what the contrast settings are supposed to do? Say a setting of 1 versus 5 versus say 9?

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Love it!!!!
On DOTXL seems the best. Can some one give me guidance on what the contrast settings are supposed to do? Say a setting of 1 versus 5 versus say 9?

The lower the contrast setting is, the more defined the darker parts of the video clips will be. Bringing up the contrast basically brings up the low-end of the darkness scale. It will probably look best with a low-ish number. But the beauty is, you can experiment and decide what you like!

#106 6 years ago

Brightness controls the duty cycle (or active time) for the LEDs. For the LCD this controls the backlight LEDs and affects the “black level.” It has a direct impact on the consumed power and light output of the display.

Contrast is nonlinear mapping of the intermediate intensity levels without changing the max or min intensities. Higher contrast pushes all intensities up to max saturation. Lower contrast pushes the low intensities toward black.

For GOT, we recommend a contrast of 4 or 5 for best performance on the movie clips. Brightness is personal preference but the default setting of 5 usually works wel.

#107 6 years ago

The contrast setting seems to be most prominent in areas containing shades of the same color. For example, the Stark Direwolf is mostly shades of Blue/Grey. It's hard to get to the more cinematic scenes quickly for purposes of comparison.

You can see Contrast settings 1, 5, 9 below (Backlight = 8). I landed on Contrast = 4 & Backlight = 8

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#108 6 years ago

Like Dmod said, contrast 4 or 5, brightness 5.

I run my lcd at contrast 4, brightness 6. I enjoy a good contrast not only on the movie dots but the digital animations as well. My game room is also very dark.

Dotsxl of course.

Edit: nice example Markp99!

#109 6 years ago

Lcd. Dotsxl. Brightness 9. Contrast 5.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It needs 1.3b because that revision includes more RAM which is required to store the monster size that GOT is. If the only display you've got is the older style and you don't want to spring for a new one (and use the current display in some other game) you can have the old board updated with a new chip. Here's a quote from Randy in a thread about Spiderman when this first became an issue:

If I remember right you can expand the RAM with soldering a larger one on. I think some people did this during the SM launch

#111 6 years ago

Thanks, so after tweeking a bit

I landed DOTXL

contrast 4

Brightness 9

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Shit. I didn't know this either. Was looking forward to getting home from work and installing this puppy.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Shit. I didn't know this either. Was looking forward to getting home from work and installing this puppy.

All displays sold in 2016 and later include the larger memory needed to support SM, Transformers, and GoT. If the board has "REV 1.3B" near the edge of the board or "CHROMA" beneath the ColorDMD logo it has the larger memory.

Older boards (REV 1.2, 1.3, and 1.3A) can be upgraded by replacing the chip at U3 with a 64Mbit memory (S25FL164K). It's a surface mount chip, though, and requires special hot-air tools to remove safely.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

All displays sold in 2016 and later include the larger memory needed to support SM, Transformers, and GoT. If the board has "REV 1.3B" near the edge of the board or "CHROMA" beneath the ColorDMD logo it has the larger memory.
Older boards (REV 1.2, 1.3, and 1.3A) can be upgraded by replacing the chip at U3 with a 64Mbit memory (S25FL164K). It's a surface mount chip, though, and requires special hot-air tools to remove safely.

I just checked all six of my ColorDMDs....they're all 1.3 or 1.3A.

Dmod I've sent you a PM.

#115 6 years ago

Installed the new LCD, updated the colorDMD so it says GoT3.0 on the menu screen, but I get no video from the machine, just some random dots (that don't change) at bootup along the top. Menu works fine (circuit board "done" light is lit), and I can see all that great, just no video from the machine. I tried a different DMD cable, same story. Any ideas?

#116 6 years ago

Did ya plug the cable in the wrong way? Double check the rom file? Did you eject the usb stick properly or just yank it out when it looked done?

#117 6 years ago

I can’t get my ColorDMD to work. I just get a blank screen. What did I do wrong?

42AB5C56-5014-45B1-865A-8E7357B4DAA1 (resized).jpeg42AB5C56-5014-45B1-865A-8E7357B4DAA1 (resized).jpegC896AE98-FA35-4985-8F40-47E2550BDA18 (resized).jpegC896AE98-FA35-4985-8F40-47E2550BDA18 (resized).jpeg13160085-2B55-4592-B54B-78C558F14242 (resized).jpeg13160085-2B55-4592-B54B-78C558F14242 (resized).jpeg2C2DFF7D-88E8-4931-BC2A-E53F2A11040D (resized).jpeg2C2DFF7D-88E8-4931-BC2A-E53F2A11040D (resized).jpeg7B5E526B-C243-4A52-B6F2-2EA8B490771A (resized).jpeg7B5E526B-C243-4A52-B6F2-2EA8B490771A (resized).jpeg

?????

#118 6 years ago

Is the ColorDMD powering up? If you press the menu key on the ColorDMD do you get the menu?

#119 6 years ago

It's not powering up at all. If I attempt to press the menu keys, I get nothing. It's like it's dead. For reference, I'm on a GOT LE (sacrilege, I know )

#120 6 years ago

I love my GOTLE

Its probably the picture and the angle its at, but the power connector in the backbox looks like its off a pin and too high?

#121 6 years ago

Try to reset the cords again. I had this problem at first, but I unplugged the cords with a few wiggles and got GOT working. 649DF286-EE8C-4D50-9EB5-7011EE5C8B2E (resized).jpeg649DF286-EE8C-4D50-9EB5-7011EE5C8B2E (resized).jpeg8684A131-8FB7-4E31-A1C1-166FCB76E0B1 (resized).jpeg8684A131-8FB7-4E31-A1C1-166FCB76E0B1 (resized).jpeg727BD91A-12FF-40F8-89D1-FA751F16B342 (resized).jpeg727BD91A-12FF-40F8-89D1-FA751F16B342 (resized).jpeg97FA1FEB-C00B-4B41-8CC4-ED0DBBD7A0F9 (resized).jpeg97FA1FEB-C00B-4B41-8CC4-ED0DBBD7A0F9 (resized).jpeg

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

I can’t get my ColorDMD to work. I just get a blank screen. What did I do wrong?

?????

This happened to me once. I’m not near my machine but make sure you didn’t put the ribbon cable in backwards on the color DMD. It’s not groved so it will let you put it in either way. Hope that helps.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Did ya plug the cable in the wrong way? Double check the rom file? Did you eject the usb stick properly or just yank it out when it looked done?

I've done like 7 of these ColorDMD and never had this kind of trouble, but this is the first Spike, so...

Deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed the ROM 3x, all said they finished okay. Red stripe at pin1 mark on connector of Color DMD board. Reseated both mini-connectors from Color DMD to LCD. Reseated all power connectors.

Uninstalled back to original hardware and original Red Wedding Screen works perfectly. I think I may have a dud ColorDMD board (the LCD clearly is okay because it works for the menu stuff).

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This happened to me once. I’m not near my machine but make sure you didn’t put the ribbon cable in backwards on the color DMD. It’s not groved so it will let you put it in either way. Hope that helps.

Yeah, I double-checked the ribbon cable so that the red stripes are matched at pin 1 of connector & still nothing.

I’m using an LED display w/ a GOT LE.

Anyone else using this combo that can post pics of hookup, or am I the first?

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

I’m using an LCD w/ a GOT LE.
Anyone else using this combo, or am I the first?

No. This guy is, as he is THE Dave Timmer.

Quoted from nerbflong:

I love my GOTLE

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Yeah, I double-checked the ribbon cable so that the red stripes are matched at pin 1 of connector & still nothing.

Sounds power related. Reseat all the connections related to the ColorDMD power cable, which is 3 connections.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I’m actually on an LED display (edited from LCD).

I’m thinking this may be the issue?

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Shhhh, its a secret!

Quoted from PinB:

I’m actually on an LED display (edited from LCD).
I’m thinking this may be the issue?

I'm on a 1.3B older LCD so I'm not familiar with the newer power cable, sorry.

Eskaybee had a power issue as well in post #59. He ended up connecting in a different way that did work.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

It's not powering up at all. If I attempt to press the menu keys, I get nothing. It's like it's dead. For reference, I'm on a GOT LE (sacrilege, I know )

If you're not getting any LEDs lit at the ColorDMD, please use a DMM to measure the voltage between the gray/yellow and black wires to make sure you're receiving 12V at the power cable connection to the ColorDMD controller board.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've done like 7 of these ColorDMD and never had this kind of trouble, but this is the first Spike, so...
Deleted, re-downloaded and re-installed the ROM 3x, all said they finished okay. Red stripe at pin1 mark on connector of Color DMD board. Reseated both mini-connectors from Color DMD to LCD. Reseated all power connectors.
Uninstalled back to original hardware and original Red Wedding Screen works perfectly. I think I may have a dud ColorDMD board (the LCD clearly is okay because it works for the menu stuff).

Was the ColorDMD working with the SIGMA ROM before you tried installing the color ROM for GOT?

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Was the ColorDMD working with the SIGMA ROM before you tried installing the color ROM for GOT?

No. I thought flashing the ROM would take care of that. It didn't.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No. I thought flashing the ROM would take care of that. It didn't.

PM sent.

#133 6 years ago

I think i just screwed up, i didnt save my product key (lol?). Guess i shouldnt have installed while being distracted

#134 6 years ago

Also, is there indication that the ROM is completed uploaded? its been 1-2 minutes and program is still blinking at a steady pace like it was at the start.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also, is there indication that the ROM is completed uploaded? its been 1-2 minutes and program is still blinking at a steady pace like it was at the start.

It will change to "DONE" light when it's finished. It took longer to flash this one than previous games, so you're probably good.

#136 6 years ago

You shouldn't need to save the product key with the Chroma boards... just the older Rev 1.3B boards.

If it's repeatedly blinking a slow blink, that's an error code that a file with the correct name CHROMA.ROM couldn't be found on the drive. If it's strobing quickly and nearly solid, it's still installing.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

You shouldn't need to save the product key with the Chroma boards... just the older Rev 1.3B boards.
If it's repeatedly blinking a slow blink, that's an error code that a file with the correct name CHROMA.ROM couldn't be found on the drive. If it's strobing quickly and nearly solid, it's still installing.

Instructions say it should be colordmd.rom

can you link me to the correct rom file and/or instructions?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Instructions say it should be colordmd.rom
can you link me to the correct rom file and/or instructions?

COLORDMD.ROM is the name used for the older Rev 1.3B boards. The new ROMS should be saved as CHROMA.ROM.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html

Install instructions are at the bottom of the page. Other than the file name, the installation for both boards is identical.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

COLORDMD.ROM is the name used for the older Rev 1.3B boards. The new ROMS should be saved as CHROMA.ROM.
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html
Install instructions are at the bottom of the page. Other than the file name, the installation for both boards is identical.

OK, thanks. Found it just as you posted that. Not sure how i ended up on the old install instructions. Thought i clicked the direct link. Like i said, probably shouldnt be doing this with half attention span

#140 6 years ago

OK im all installed! First thing i noticed is my vertical is off (a little low) and the vertical settings dont seem to be taking in the menu. Any ideas?

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

OK im all installed! First thing i noticed is my vertical is off (a little low) and the vertical settings dont seem to be taking in the menu. Any ideas?

nevermind its just me being a dumbass again. i really should go to bed.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Glad you got it working!

Yes, thank you! kudos for the awesome fast pinside support! now how am i supposed to go to sleep when im looking at this SAWWEEET game in COLOR! looks so so good.

#144 6 years ago

Sleep is overrated.

#145 6 years ago

It is amazing how good the dots are on this game in conjunction with the clips. There is so much more to see then was possible on the stern supplied red DMD. Color DMD did a fantastic job on this one. When they stated it was epic that was no exaggeration. I really liked this game prior , now it has stepped up higher on my list.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

It is amazing how good the dots are on this game in conjunction with the clips. There is so much more to see then was possible on the stern supplied red DMD. Color DMD did a fantastic job on this one. When they stated it was epic that was no exaggeration. I really liked this game prior , now it has stepped up higher on my list.

Yep. This is a title that was begging to be colorized, and it does not disappoint. The video clips look a million times better in color. For starters, you can actually see what's going on ...

#147 6 years ago

Kind of makes me want to get a GOT

With all this good news, lets hope the happiness gets spread to KISS

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Took about 3-4 minutes for it to install on mine.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Took about 3-4 minutes for it to install on mine.

Same here. I started to worry because I never had one take nearly that long before.

#150 6 years ago

Anyone with the LED-display, please post video how the new screens look with it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-support-for-game-of-thrones/page/3?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.