(Topic ID: 166600)

ColorDMD Announces Support for DE Star Wars!

By Dmod

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by KBRI1700
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DESW (resized).png
20160823_182352 (resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2016-08-17_at_9.20.00_AM_(resized).png
DESW_Title_(resized).PNG
DESW_SkillShot_(resized).PNG
DESW_UseTheForce_(resized).PNG
DESW_SuperR2D2_(resized).PNG
DESW_Boba_(resized).PNG

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

COLORDMD ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR DE STAR WARS!

ColorDMD Displays is excited to announce support for Star Wars pinball machines!  Star Wars is the 46th title to be supported by the ColorDMD multicolor display platform, and the 15th new title to be released in 2016!

DESW_Title_(resized).PNG

Star Wars is the debut release from ColorDMD newcomer Justin Yeakley.   Justin resides in a galaxy far, far, away on a small planet in the Outer Rim Territories (known as Cleveland, Ohio).  He is a talented Jedi Knight (software engineer) who enjoys playing pinball with his wife and daughter, as well as repairing droids (yes, pinball machines) for the rebel alliance (other pinsiders?) to enjoy.

[Don't worry, we're almost done with the metaphors...]

DESW_UseTheForce_(resized).PNG

Star Wars is one of the Yeakley family's favorite themes and the main reason Justin wanted to bring this machine to life with a color display.  With this accomplishment complete, balance has been restored to the force (as well as Justin's free time).

[See that wasn't so bad.]

DESW_SuperR2D2_(resized).PNG

Star Wars leverages the newly designed ColorDMD LED pinball display platform which contains 128x32 individual RGB LEDs.  The compact design is similar in size to a conventional DMD and provides easy installation in Data East games.  All ColorDMD LED displays ship with the factory installed SIGMA ROM that supports WPC, WPC95, SAM, and Whitestar, and SPIKE platforms. Multicolor operation is enabled through download and installation of a game-specific color ROM file, available from our site. ROMs can be changed at any time, allowing use with other supported LED titles.

DESW_Boba_(resized).PNG

Displays are shipping now from our store site.  The color ROM for Star Wars pinball machines is targeted for release by Friday, August 26!  Watch our site and Facebook page for upcoming previews from Star Wars, as well as future announcements regarding new product updates and releases! For more information, please visit us at www.colordmd.com.

DESW_SkillShot_(resized).PNG

#2 2 years ago

I was expecting all the animations to be black or dark grey..

#3 2 years ago

Colordmd's tshirt is safe and sound!

Great job rolling them out ColorDMD team!

#4 2 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect Star Wars.
Looks like I have shopping to do

Thanks Guys

#5 2 years ago

great job on the speedy development. Need to work on the clues

Somewhere between too obvious and too obscure.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

great job on the speedy development. Need to work on the clues
Somewhere between too obvious and too obscure.

Third clue should have been easy if everyone hadn't got caught up on TWD - man you guys are morbid.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Third clue should have been easy if everyone hadn't got caught up on TWD - man you guys are morbid.

The crazy "24" coincidences were awesome though.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Third clue should have been easy if everyone hadn't got caught up on TWD - man you guys are morbid

We still want TWD....hoping you got the clues. lol

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I think you should just use the same clues once TWD is finally done

#10 2 years ago

Very exciting. One Q: Are the animations in the new ca. 2010s updated code supported?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Help me out here, what does the 3rd clue have to do with Star Wars?
What does Ali have to do with Star Wars? Also, what does the 2nd clue have to do with Star Wars?

#12 2 years ago

This opens the door for all the DE games now...cant wait for JP!!

#13 2 years ago

I'm an utter failure when it comes to these hints.

#14 2 years ago

Congrats Justin

#15 2 years ago

Congrats Justin, great job!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What does Ali have to do with Star Wars? Also, what does the 2nd clue have to do with Star Wars?

Ali is a fighter. in a tie. a Tie Fighter.
The title of the movie in the 2nd clue is "Soliders in the rain" Soldiers. Rain. Storm Troopers.
The third clue is a tight rope walker, in the sky. A skywalker.

Note: I didn't figure any of them out on my own either.

#17 2 years ago

Pretty cool! Now someone color Tales From the Crypt already!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Clue 1 : Tie Fighter ( Ali in a tie)

Clue 2 : Storm Troopers ( title was Soldiers in the Rain)

Clue 3: Sky Walker ( Picture of the rope walking in the Sky )

#19 2 years ago

In hindsight, the Skywalker clue was good but I doubt anybody got it.

One complaint on the clues, "rain" does not usually equal "storm" because most rain does not include violent weather conditions.

storm
/stôrm/
noun
a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.

#20 2 years ago

ColorDMD: question, I assume the rom will work for the Sigma LCD as well? As well do I need to use an external power source and I assume I have to modify the panel to get the LCD to fit in a DE. The LED looks nice but I rather have Tile mode on the LCD.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

ColorDMD: question, I assume the rom will work for the Sigma LCD as well? As well do I need to use an external power source and I assume I have to modify the panel to get the LCD to fit in a DE.

I believe the DE Star Wars ROM is only for the LED style ColorDMD.
The LCD version panel likely will not fit the game physically.

Some games will only have LED color dots support because of the physical limitations from my understanding.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

ColorDMD.
The LCD version panel likely will not fit the game physically

They fit, just needs modifications.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.colordmd.com/ColorDMD%2520Installation%2520Instructions%2520for%2520Data%2520East%2520Rev6.PDF&ved=0ahUKEwimp5684cjOAhVO9mMKHaluD7IQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFrxqj_itf7UL0KdrsewM0wi59QDQ&sig2=rx51Yuroz9NDqapT2sWzeA

As for the rom, I assume the rom is the same for either LCD or LED just LED doesn't have any modes. ColorDMD can you confirm this?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Very exciting. One Q: Are the animations in the new ca. 2010s updated code supported?

Yes.

#25 2 years ago

It is a metal speaker panel, just like JP. It seems you just need to modify the threaded posts.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Congrats Justin, great job!

Thanks! Hope everyone enjoys it!

Big thanks to ChadH for the superb help with testing this out!

Quoted from Spock:

ColorDMD: question, I assume the rom will work for the Sigma LCD as well? As well do I need to use an external power source and I assume I have to modify the panel to get the LCD to fit in a DE. The LED looks nice but I rather have Tile mode on the LCD.

The ROMs are different between the LCD and the LED...that said, I originally colored this on LCD and Chad tested this on LCD. Up to Randy on whether he wants to make the LCD ROM available.

I will say, the LED colors are much brighter and true - I would HIGHLY recommend the LED display! Much easier to install as well!!

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Thanks! Hope everyone enjoys it!
Big thanks to ChadH for the superb help with testing this out!

The ROMs are different between the LCD and the LED...that said, I originally colored this on LCD and Chad tested this on LCD. Up to Randy on whether he wants to make the LCD ROM available.
I will say, the LED colors are much brighter and true - I would HIGHLY recommend the LED display! Much easier to install as well!!

I think a lot of people would like to have the LCD option. Everybody likes something different and some features are more important than others to each individual.

#28 2 years ago

I just prefer tile mode vs dots. Cutting one threaded post is not an issue for me, however no rom for LCD is an issue.

I already have 9 color DMD's set to tile. I rather not have one odd duckling. So if LCD rom is not available I simply will pass and wait for the LCD rom.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

I just prefer tile mode vs dots. Cutting one threaded post is not an issue for me, however no rom for LCD is an issue.
I already have 9 color DMD's set to tile. I rather not have one odd duckling.

More than cutting a post if you want it to look right. You have to Dremel off the top plastic strip that runs horizontally on the back panel and drill holes in the colorDMD metal LCD frame. Takes some work.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

When someone guessed BSD, you said something to the effect of "a guy in a similar profession". I was thinking vampires and zombies.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

More than cutting a post if you want it to look right. You have to Dremel off the top plastic strip that runs horizontally on the back panel and drill holes in the colorDMD metal LCD frame. Takes some work.

All of which I am ok with. Rather have Tile mode if colorDMD can confirm we "will" have a LCD rom for Star Wars at some point then at least I can buy the LCD install it and just wait. If it will never be provided, then

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

I already have 9 color DMD's set to tile. I rather not have one odd duckling. So if LCD rom is not available I simply will pass and wait for the LCD rom.

I think Randy is hoping to stick to LED roms for games that would require hardware modification to fit rather than LCD. From a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense to NOT encourage customers to hack up their games just to fit a display.

You could try to plead the case that the LCD roms should be available also (especially since a few DE games got released on LCD before the LED was available), but I get why he might stick to his guns.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In hindsight, the Skywalker clue was good but I doubt anybody got it.
One complaint on the clues, "rain" does not usually equal "storm" because most rain does not include violent weather conditions.
storm
/stôrm/
noun
a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.

Clues can be returned for a full refund within 14 days.

#34 2 years ago

According to Facebook the LCD rom is available by request via Email.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-17_at_9.20.00_AM_(resized).png

#35 2 years ago

The original ColorDMD boards and new Chroma boards use a different processor. The ROMs are not compatible. A different ROM is needed for each board.

For DE games, LED is what we are officially supporting going forward. This is mainly due to installation challenges with the LCD that requires permanent modification of the speaker panel.

While not officially supported, if you want to install the LCD in a DE game, email us at info@colordmd.com to inquire about availability of an LCD ROM.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

While not officially supported, if you want to install the LCD in a DE game, email us at info@colordmd.com to inquire about availability of an LCD ROM.

Sound great, emailed

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The original ColorDMD boards and new Chroma boards use a different processor. The ROMs are not compatible. A different ROM is needed for each board.
For DE games, LED is what we are officially supporting going forward. This is mainly due to installation challenges with the LCD that requires permanent modification of the speaker panel.

That's great to hear. I figured Randy would be flexible on the LCD if you ask. He probably just wants to avoid confusion on the site so people don't mistakenly buy the LCD only to find out it doesn't fit without modification.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's great to hear. I figured Randy would be flexible on the LCD if you ask. He probably just wants to avoid confusion on the site so people don't mistakenly buy the LCD only to find out it doesn't fit without modification.

Agreed.

Having done both and currently have the option of either one in my DESW - I would really recommend the LED.

As I mentioned above, the colors are awesome on the LED and much more true to what I intended. With the LCD, the colors get washed out a bit...

Plus you will also have to remove a backbox bulb with the LCD - for some reason this bothered me.

#39 2 years ago

Hopefully....the full spectrum of games will be available for the LED screen....since it should work in everything.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Hopefully....the full spectrum of games will be available for the LED screen....since it should work in everything.

Eventually they probably will be. For now it's still in a limited-launch type of situation.

#41 2 years ago

Just ordered

#42 2 years ago

Awesome job Justin! Now I need to stop over and check it out.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Awesome job Justin! Now I need to stop over and check it out.

Thanks! Anytime Matt!

#44 2 years ago

Oh, and congrats on wrapping up your first game Justin!

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, and congrats on wrapping up your first game Justin!

Thanks E.

It was a blast to do! I think very few people understand the amount of work that goes into coloring a game. That said, it is truly amazing the quality and speed you turn these out - much respect!

Now that my cherry is popped, I need to find another machine that isn't colored yet...

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

I think very few people understand the amount of work that goes into coloring a game...

No...I think most of us realize it and that's why we leave it to the pros
Looks really good man

#47 2 years ago

Purchased. Can't wait

#48 2 years ago

Awesome news.

#49 2 years ago

Update: ColorDMD (LCD) is now installed in my DE. Was rather simple, just trimming off the lip on the back and installed without any issues. I also did not have to pre-drill any holes in the colorDMD

However ran into one problem: The back box light panel is in the way and wont allow enough clearance for the DMD. So, sadly I have to relocate a light and cut the light panel so the DMD can fit.

Also in my case, the DMD panel was damaged in its past so I really had no issue with trimming it a bit. The mounting screws were drilled out and replaced with bolts mounted from the front, this was done by the previous owner.

Overall, I still think it was pretty simple to install. Now I wait for the code...
20160823_182352 (resized).jpg

#50 2 years ago

Any chance of a video preview on the website?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brownsburg, IN
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
North Mankato, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside