5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dug
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

color 00.jpg
    DMD color.jpg
    SIGMA2_4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

COLORDMD ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF SIGMA 2.4

A new update for the SIGMA ROM is now freely available for download from http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html!

The SIGMA 2.4 update adds a new custom VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT feature to support installations with the new STERN PINBALL, INC. backbox design,and also to allow customers to fine-tune alignment of the video frame with the speaker panel.

SIGMA 2.4 also adds a new GAMMA selection feature that modifes how dot brightness levels are mapped to the screen. The "DMD" default setting provides the same nonlinear DMD level emulation as previoius products. The new "HI" setting uses linear level mapping, to provide higher contrast between bright and dark levels.

Finally, for P-ROC users, we have integrated P-ROC support into the main build. No more custom or hacked ROMs!

This update only affects operation when using the SIGMA (single-color) ROM and does not alter operation with any of the multicolor ROMs, also available from our site.

SIGMA2_4.jpg
    #6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Any chance of a higher contrast on the non-sigma, full color display mode? That's my only suggestion for improvement so far. To match the brightness of my old DMD I have to turn the brightness to high, but that also turns the black levels up, making the display more grey than I'd like.

The contrast between white (full-on) and black (full-off) is a function of the display technology. Passive backlit technologies (like LCD TFT screens) always have some light leakage that limits the contrast compared to active plasma or LED technologies. The GAMMA feature we added to SIGMA 2.4 won't improve the overall contrast... The max/min levels don't change, only the mid-levels.

So what good is it?

DMDs are inherently nonlinear in perceived brightness and the middle dark levels tend to be boosted relative to a normal CRT or LCD screen. Video source material will tend to look saturated on a DMD unless it is encoded to compensate for the nonlinear mapping. Even then color resolution at the low levels is still compressed.

We have always mapped our output levels to emulate what the standard DMD does. WIth SIGMA 2.4, we added the option of a straight linear output. This will make the mid-levels darker and provide better color resolution, at the expense of some brightness. The best setting to use is really a function of personal taste and how the source was encoded to 13 (SAM) or 16 (P-ROC) levels.

We're continuing to evaluate new technologies that can provide better overall contrast for future products.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Why doesn't the smoothing/sigma software work in full color modes?

There are limited processing resources in the FPGA (programmable chip). With the current processor, we can configure the chip to perform color processing or scaling, but not both at the same time.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from tatanka1961:

So maybe I'll just buy another one. I believe you mentioned thinking about a 'cheaper version' once, Randy. No news on that? Or better yet, a full color version for Star Trek?

Nothing new to report but we're still continuing to evaluate ways to bring the cost down. For a while we considered offering a kit without the LCD, but other than one or two people on Pinside there didn't seem to be a lot of interest.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The color dmd animation is right at the bottom of the window, with a large gap on top. Besides enlarging the mounting holes, there is no other way to move it at this time.

Sorry you're having trouble. It sounds like there's something unusual going on with your install. I've sent a PM to try to get some more information.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Randy, Do you think you can support Capcom games in the near future?
    I would like to install one into Pinball Magic and I have a friend that really would like to have one in Breakshot.

I know we can get the interface working. I'm working on finding some games locally to see if the LCD can be mounted.

1 week later
    #47 5 years ago

Awesome video with SIGMA running in the Matrix. This video shows off the improved gamma mapping in SIGMA 2.4 for better contrast between bright and dark levels. The same display can be used in Predator and other P-ROC based games.

#t=257

3 weeks later
    #62 5 years ago

Randy, do you have any drawings to connect the ColorDMD to the speaker panel LED controller?

No drawings but there's a FAQ here: http://www.colordmd.com/colorchange.html.

#67 5 years ago

Randy, I see that color Sigma does not have any red choices. Will that be in a future update?

Doesnt't have any red? Current options are 97 different colors including red.

#68 5 years ago

Yes, but you will have to buy an extra mounting kit due to the changes Stern made to the speaker panel.

Pinbits has an adapter for mounting both old and new ColorDMDs to the STLE panel.

The brackets we are shipping now have extra holes that should line up with the posts on the STLE but some additional hardware will be required for spacing/securing the bracket on the panel.

#70 5 years ago

I see different shades of orange...no real dark red.

Color 00 is pure red. Color 10 is yellow (red plus green). Color 08 is orange.

If your colors look off, make sure the blue LVDS cable is seated properly.

#74 5 years ago

Randy, Color 00 looks close to a burnt orange. Definitely not red.

color 00.jpg 4 KB

Try turning the power off and reseating both ends of the blue LVDS cable. To reseat the connector pull up on the tape to release the pullbar and slide the connector horizontally out of the socket.

1 week later
    #88 5 years ago

Thank you for your response. Then I will probably need to try and swap the blue LVDS cable between another ColorDMD that I have to see what happens.

Hi Brian, if you load SIGMA 2.4 onto both displays, you can try swapping the circuit boards and the LVDS cables between the two displays. If you are able to identify which component is causing the problem (screen, circuit board, or cable) we can replace it without needing to send the unit back.

Please email me directly with any findings (info@colordmd.com) and we'll get you fixed up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 289.00
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5.00
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside