Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dug
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

color 00.jpg
    DMD color.jpg
    SIGMA2_4.jpg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

COLORDMD ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF SIGMA 2.4

A new update for the SIGMA ROM is now freely available for download from http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html!

The SIGMA 2.4 update adds a new custom VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT feature to support installations with the new STERN PINBALL, INC. backbox design,and also to allow customers to fine-tune alignment of the video frame with the speaker panel.

SIGMA 2.4 also adds a new GAMMA selection feature that modifes how dot brightness levels are mapped to the screen. The "DMD" default setting provides the same nonlinear DMD level emulation as previoius products. The new "HI" setting uses linear level mapping, to provide higher contrast between bright and dark levels.

Finally, for P-ROC users, we have integrated P-ROC support into the main build. No more custom or hacked ROMs!

This update only affects operation when using the SIGMA (single-color) ROM and does not alter operation with any of the multicolor ROMs, also available from our site.

SIGMA2_4.jpgSIGMA2_4.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

First

Obligatory LOTR request

#3 10 years ago

Any chance of a higher contrast on the non-sigma, full color display mode? That's my only suggestion for improvement so far. To match the brightness of my old DMD I have to turn the brightness to high, but that also turns the black levels up, making the display more grey than I'd like.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Any chance of a higher contrast on the non-sigma, full color display mode? That's my only suggestion for improvement so far. To match the brightness of my old DMD I have to turn the brightness to high, but that also turns the black levels up, making the display more grey than I'd like.

I'm guessing this depends on the panel used. Two of mine are nice and dark. The third is more of a grey background and the colors are dimmer. Regardless, it's still better having color than sticking with a plasma DMD.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I wonder if a lightly smoked piece of filter gel would help. Might increase the contrast without darkening the colors overmuch.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The contrast between white (full-on) and black (full-off) is a function of the display technology. Passive backlit technologies (like LCD TFT screens) always have some light leakage that limits the contrast compared to active plasma or LED technologies. The GAMMA feature we added to SIGMA 2.4 won't improve the overall contrast... The max/min levels don't change, only the mid-levels.

So what good is it?

DMDs are inherently nonlinear in perceived brightness and the middle dark levels tend to be boosted relative to a normal CRT or LCD screen. Video source material will tend to look saturated on a DMD unless it is encoded to compensate for the nonlinear mapping. Even then color resolution at the low levels is still compressed.

We have always mapped our output levels to emulate what the standard DMD does. WIth SIGMA 2.4, we added the option of a straight linear output. This will make the mid-levels darker and provide better color resolution, at the expense of some brightness. The best setting to use is really a function of personal taste and how the source was encoded to 13 (SAM) or 16 (P-ROC) levels.

We're continuing to evaluate new technologies that can provide better overall contrast for future products.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Any chance of a higher contrast on the non-sigma, full color display mode?

ColorDMD_CRT!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The GAMMA feature we added to SIGMA 2.4 won't improve the overall contrast... The max/min levels don't change, only the mid-levels.

I must admit that when I read this, I thought it was of no real use.
    But I was quite surprised by the result: it gives the impression of a higher contrast. Previously, I had set the brightness to 'HI' because it was too dim otherwise. I now set the brightness to 'MED' and the gamma to 'DMD' and the animations look so much better... A HUGE improvement!

I took it out of my STTNG and now have it in my STLE. I'm a bit reluctant now to put it back in the TNG. So maybe I'll just buy another one. I believe you mentioned thinking about a 'cheaper version' once, Randy. No news on that?

Or better yet, a full color version for Star Trek?

#9 10 years ago

Why doesn't the smoothing/sigma software work in full color modes?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Why doesn't the smoothing/sigma software work in full color modes?

There are limited processing resources in the FPGA (programmable chip). With the current processor, we can configure the chip to perform color processing or scaling, but not both at the same time.

#11 10 years ago

I wouldn't want it anyways, games with dots should stay dots! I wish I owned more games that supported full color.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from tatanka1961:

So maybe I'll just buy another one. I believe you mentioned thinking about a 'cheaper version' once, Randy. No news on that? Or better yet, a full color version for Star Trek?

Nothing new to report but we're still continuing to evaluate ways to bring the cost down. For a while we considered offering a kit without the LCD, but other than one or two people on Pinside there didn't seem to be a lot of interest.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I wouldn't want it anyways, games with dots should stay dots! I wish I owned more games that supported full color.

+1

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

custom VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT feature

Are you going to add this feature to existing Color DMD games also? One I purchased for STTNG sits low in the existing window.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Are you going to add this feature to existing Color DMD games also? One I purchased for STTNG sits low in the existing window.

Make sure you have it set for WPC and not WPC-95

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Make sure you have it set for WPC and not WPC-95

Oh I do. I set it to wpc when I first installed it, but once I uploaded the STTNG software, that option went away. The only adjustment left is backlighting. I even reinstalled my original DMD to verify. The color dmd animation is right at the bottom of the window, with a large gap on top. Besides enlarging the mounting holes, there is no other way to move it at this time.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Nothing new to report but we're still continuing to evaluate ways to bring the cost down. For a while we considered offering a kit without the LCD, but other than one or two people on Pinside there didn't seem to be a lot of interest.

I must have missed that post.
    I'd consider a no-LCD option.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

SIGMA 2.4 also adds a new GAMMA selection feature that modifes how dot brightness levels are mapped to the screen. The "DMD" default setting provides the same nonlinear DMD level emulation as previoius products. The new "HI" setting uses linear level mapping, to provide higher contrast between bright and dark levels.

Thank you! This is awesome!

I too would consider a no LCD option that offered the metal mounting plate for the LCD.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The color dmd animation is right at the bottom of the window, with a large gap on top. Besides enlarging the mounting holes, there is no other way to move it at this time.

Sorry you're having trouble. It sounds like there's something unusual going on with your install. I've sent a PM to try to get some more information.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for the detailed answer. Maybe when OLED displays become cheaper!

#21 10 years ago

I'll be happy with a ColorDMD_LED display.

#22 10 years ago

Randy, Do you think you can support Capcom games in the near future?
    I would like to install one into Pinball Magic and I have a friend that really would like to have one in Breakshot.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would like to install one into Pinball Magic and I have a friend that really would like to have one in Breakshot.

I would love to add a color dmd to pinball magic!! Mounting the LCD would be.. complicated. Have you looked at all the hardware and the circuit board mounted to the back of the DMD? Why did Capcom stack so much crap on top of the DMD?!?!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I can imagine that most people would want an 'all in 1' solution. But I would certainly also consider a no-LCD option.
    I think especially for people outside the US this would be a nice option (also considering shipping and import duties)

A solution I was also thinking about was a different license for full color and for sigma. I believe the price is justified for the full color option, but for the single color solution, I find it somewhat expensive.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Sorry you're having trouble. It sounds like there's something unusual going on with your install. I've sent a PM to try to get some more information.

Thank's for your support! It's nothing that can't be fixed one way or another. After awhile I didn't notice it as much. But when you install something, you notice these details right off the bat.

It really is a great product, and I look forward to the day that I can see Judge Dredd's animations in living color too.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It really is a great product, and I look forward to day that I can see Judge Dredd's animations in living color too.

Yeah, the color makes everything more readable/viewable. It really does make a huge difference.

#27 10 years ago

+1 for judge dredd. someday.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thank's for your support! It's nothing that can't be fixed one way or another. After awhile I didn't notice it as much. But when you install something, you notice these details right off the bat.
    It really is a great product, and I look forward to day that I can see Judge Dredd's animations in living color too.

Isn't there two sets of mounting holes? Sure you used the right ones?

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Yeah, the color makes everything more readable/viewable. It really does make a huge difference.

sorry the picture isn't better. I actually wasn't trying to take a picture of the DMD but I move my color DMD to a different machine from time to time. Very easy and it amazing how quick someone notices it when I move it. Just moved it yesterday to Roadshow. I thought the blue matched the machine well.
    DMD color.jpgDMD color.jpg

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Isn't there two sets of mounting holes? Sure you used the right ones?

Yep. The other ones would make it way off. It's not that bad, I just wanted to know if it would become adjustable.

#31 10 years ago

I know we can get the interface working. I'm working on finding some games locally to see if the LCD can be mounted.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I'm working on finding some games locally to see if the LCD can be mounted.

I have a Breakshot not far away. Heck, I'd even let you guys use it as a guinea pig. That thing would look cool with some color.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

+1 for Judge Dredd. someday.

+2 for The Law

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

+2 for The Law

+3 Would look amazing. If I knew how I could do some of the grunt work to help make it happen I would.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from ReallifePin:

Would look amazing.

I think it would be their crowning achievement. The DMD colors would go soooo good with the colors of this machine. The animations are brutally hilarious too.

I would even let them borrow my machine to make it happen!

#36 10 years ago

So this software updatd is only beneficial for use in single color mode, right? Just wondering if downloading is of any use in multicolor mode.....

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

So this software updatd is only beneficial for use in single color mode, right? Just wondering if downloading is of any use in multicolor mode.....

You can't even use it in multicolor mode. Only one ROM firmware can be installed at a time.

#38 10 years ago

Color DMD in DE SW would look awesome. Such great animations in that pin!!

#39 10 years ago

Indiana Jones. That is all.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

You can't even use it in multicolor mode. Only one ROM firmware can be installed at a time.

aaah. all of mine are in supported games, didn't realize that- thanks

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I know we can get the interface working. I'm working on finding some games locally to see if the LCD can be mounted.

Wishing I lived close by. I will be happy to a test fit for you once you have some hardware ready for it.
    2 machines here just waiting for them to get another color other than orange. (Pinball Magic and Breakshot)
    Breakshot is in a pinball museum near me in Texas!! I volunteer my time to help keep the SS games going.

#42 10 years ago

I'm torn between buying a Sigma ColorDMD for either Judge Dredd or TZ

#43 10 years ago

Get the Sigma display for TZ. It looks amazing. You can change the colors depending on your mood. My pinside buddy Underlord has one on his and it is incredible. You will love the Jackpot animation.
    I just got one for my Lord of the Rings. They are pricey but worth it.

#44 10 years ago

I'm torn between buying a Sigma ColorDMD for either Judge Dredd or TZ

You don't have to choose! You can swap it back and forth freely!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

You don't have to choose! You can swap it back and forth freely!

Yeah, but I'm lazy. Which ever one it goes it, likely it will stay in. Just not enough in the pinball budget to buy 2 at one time. I would like to put one in POTC, but I don't feel it has enough animations to make it worth it right now.

#46 10 years ago

I wouldn't think twice about putting one in Pinball Magic if one can get fitted. Time will tell.

#47 10 years ago

Awesome video with SIGMA running in the Matrix. This video shows off the improved gamma mapping in SIGMA 2.4 for better contrast between bright and dark levels. The same display can be used in Predator and other P-ROC based games.

#t=257

#48 10 years ago

Supercharged DMD.

#49 10 years ago

Here is TSPP in Sigma 2.4

1 week later
    #50 10 years ago

Just uploaded the new sigma 2.4 to my spiderman and the matrix colordmd and I have to say: you guys have done a fantastic job!
    I already liked my colordmd but with the new software it is unbelievable, especially for games like SM and TM with lots of digitized movies it is a must have mod for your game.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-release-of-sigma-24/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.