(Topic ID: 274456)

ColorDMD Announces New Platform for 128x16 Games and 100th Title!

By Dmod

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by PinRob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BATMAN_Title (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_Signal (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_SkillShot (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_PushStart (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_Joker (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_GreatFun (resized).PNG
    BATMAN_Gotham (resized).PNG
    IMG_3753 (resized).jpeg
    HLED_Rear (resized).jpg
    HLED_Front (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

New ColorDMD Platform For 128x16 DMD Games!

Beginning in August, ColorDMD will be releasing a new platform designed specifically for games using 128x16 DMD displays! These games released by Data East in the early 90's include

Checkpoint
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    • Batman
    Star Trek
    • Hook

The color ROM for Batman is complete and will be available at time of release. Work is currently in progress on the four remaining titles, with the target to provide support for all titles in 2020.

The ColorDMD H-LED platform (for half height games) features a new mounting bracket and brand new board design that incorporates the display controller that was integrated with the factory display. To ensure replacement modules will be readily available, the ColorDMD H-LED platform uses the same P2.5 64x32 LED modules featured in standard size ColorDMD LED displays. Only 16 rows are illuminated with the remaining rows hidden by the speaker panel or backglass.

HLED_Front (resized).jpg

An onboard 32-pin socket is used to support relocation of the display ROM from the original display to the ColorDMD. This socket supports two mounting positions for 28-pin and 32-pin display ROMs. The 28-pin ROMs were used for Checkpoint and TMNT, while 32-pin ROMS were used for Batman, Hook, and Star Trek.

HLED_Rear (resized).jpg

Significant effort was placed in the design of a new integrated display controller to eliminate frame tearing in the original factory controller. Frame tearing results when the controller's graphics rendering operations overwrite the previous frame as it's being drawn to the display. This unique new design ensures proper color rendering and display by the ColorDMD H-LED.

We are now accepting orders on our store site, and displays will begin shipping the week of August 3.

Please follow us on Facebook, or join our mailing list for an upcoming preview of the Batman color ROM and information on other new product releases and updates!

#2 5 months ago

Our first title on the new ColorDMD H-LED platform! Display shown mounted in Ed VanderVeen's tricked out BATMAN! Originally planned to debut at the Texas Pinball Festival in March, we didn't quite make it this year but looking forward to 2021!

Thanks to Ed for all the support and testing that helped us get to release!

IMG_3753 (resized).jpeg
    #3 5 months ago

ColorDMD's 100th Title is Batman!

ColorDMD is excited to announce that Batman is it's 100th supported title and first 128x16 game to be supported by the new ColorDMD H-LED platform!

BATMAN_Title (resized).PNG

To commemorate our 100th completed title since the company was founded in 2012, we wanted to do something a little special by creating a new platform that could support Data East's early DMD games. Originally planned for a March preview at the Texas Pinball Festival, it took a little time to complete testing and production for the new platform.

BATMAN_Signal (resized).PNG

With the new platform came new challenges, not the least of which was that the early DMD games feature a unique display where the controller that renders the graphics and the display device are completely integrated. This involved new hardware design that would integrate the entire display controller subsystem with our coloring engine.

BATMAN_PushStart (resized).PNG

But then before coloring could begin, we found a second challenge. Frame tearing from the display controller was much worse than we had experienced with prior platforms. Later Data East, Sega, and Stern controllers would make greater use of offscreen graphics buffers where full images can be rendered before they are output to the display.

BATMAN_Gotham (resized).PNG

In contrast, the early Data East control system renders to the onscreen buffer as rows are scanning out to the display. This produces an undesirable (and unpredicatable) mix of the new and previously rendered frame data. To an observer, the distortion is barely noticeable. For a machine that needs to identify frames in order to direct color operations, it's a near impossible task.

BATMAN_SkillShot (resized).PNG

Solving this problem required development of a new enhanced display subsystem specific for 128x16 games that was capable of eliminating frame tearing, and producing a high-quality color output. It ended up being a lot more work than we first envisioned, but we feel the results are worth it and we're excited to share them with the pinball community.

BATMAN_GreatFun (resized).PNG

While Batman is the first supported title for the new ColorDMD H-LED platform, we have already started work on four other titles and are targeting release for all five 128x16 games by the end of 2020. The ColorDMD H-LED is shipping now from our store site, and the color ROM for Batman can be downloaded from our firmware SUPPORT page.

Please follow us on Facebook, or join our mailing list for future announcements including new product releases and updates! There's more to come in August!

BATMAN_Joker (resized).PNG

#4 5 months ago

Never thought i'd see the day these games would get a colordmd due to their 1/2 size form factor. Amazing work as usual. The design is simply elegant and a nice title to debut the design. Great stuff!

#5 5 months ago

100 titles, what an amazing effort. Proud of you guys, hard to think of anything that's contributed so much to so many games.

#6 5 months ago

What a surprise!! And right as I’m selling my Checkpoint. Wow!
    What a relief, replacements were so expensive and these games DESERVE color!

#7 5 months ago

Awesome,
    These displays have been expensive and tough to get for a while.

I have 7 or 8 of these small DMD games in the warehouse I can pull out now.

#8 5 months ago

I'm impatiently waiting for the DE Star Trek release.
    Happy to see this project actually making it this far. It's been a long... patient road.

1 month later
    #9 4 months ago

I couldn't wait... 128x16 is on the way... for my DE Star Trek.
    Now; I just need color dots.

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I couldn't wait... 128x16 is on the way... for my DE Star Trek.
    Now; I just need color dots.

Light blue should look good in the game.

4 months later
    #11 6 days ago

Anyone done a Turtles DATA EAST?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    € 3.70
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    To-Go Cup - LED Out of stock
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4,199.00
    € 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside