(Topic ID: 153884)

ColorDMD Announces Guns N' Roses! -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
colordmd_snake_boo_(resized).jpg
colordmd_snake_yay_(resized).jpg
7gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg
11gnrdmd2_(resized).jpg
12gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg
GNR_roses_(resized).jpg
GNR_Axl_Slash_(resized).jpg
GNR_roses_(resized).jpg
GNR_Yellow_Title_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackjacker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

This is a good thing.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

Installed mine Friday and spent some quality time with this over the weekend - as with every other title, it makes such a huge difference in this machine. GNR doesn't rely on a lot (comparatively) of animations per se, but does use a bunch of horizontal- and vertical-wipe type of stuff, and those have always seemed extra "flat" to me - the color really helps those simple screen wipes pop out.

The super-tight installation (DMD cable fighting for clearance under the light board) now adds an extra step whenever you need to remove the DMD/speaker panel, but not a dealbreaker.

Have seen a few anomalies in operation, though - wondering if everyone else has these or maybe a reload of my ROM is in order:

1) In Snake Pit mode, if you make the Snake Pit shot, at the end where you have Slash on a blue background and your mode bonus score across the center, everything is in blue for the last couple of frames - the background and the score.

2) On the scrolling credits screens, there's a spot in the middle that doesn't hold proper color - on the credits screen with Lyman F. Sheats, when his name gets near the top of the screen, the period after his middle initial changes from yellow into the various green/red/silver colors used in the background for a couple of frames. Later in that same screen another name (which I forget) not far behind Lyman's does the same thing.

3) Not really a bug, but the color just makes her stand out more - the girl on the left-hand side of the "1 More For Mystery" screen is quite the troglodyte. The other ladies on the DMD benefited from the colorization; Mystery girl though, nothing was going to help her. The pink numbers on the gal on the "modesty off" match screen are a nice touch.

#29 8 years ago

Timely post by wiggy07!

His video shows what I was describing about the end of Snake Pit mode. So it's not just me. Yay? Hopefully it's a bug or unfinished bit and not intended to be all blue like that.

Pic of right after you complete the mode, and then when it displays your mode score:

BeforeBefore
AfterAfter

Quoted from Blackjacker:

1) In Snake Pit mode, if you make the Snake Pit shot, at the end where you have Slash on a blue background and your mode bonus score across the center, everything is in blue for the last couple of frames - the background and the score.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Williestyle:

GNR Colorist here! So you found the snake pit bug! When coloring a game there are rare instances where a frame or transition sequence is not able to be colored properly. This final frame of the sequence (which sorta seems like a glitchy frame to begin with) was one of those instances due to the score being a little too embedded with the artwork. I colored it all green for a while, then decided on all blue. The other option is to black it out if it really bugs you guys. You wouldn't even notice something was missing. (To be perfectly clear, I would only be blacking out the wacky blue frame, not the rest of the awesome artwork with Slash and the snake). If I get enough feedback on this, I'll make the change with the first update ROM.

My vote: black it out.

I appreciate the insights, thanks for posting that! And thank you for tackling this game - it looks great!

Along those same lines, is that the reason that the display during Coma mode is all green? Countdown, score and text - everything on-screen is one color, seems kinda flat.

I like the red trucks and blue cars in Gilby mode - very nice touch.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Williestyle:

Scrolling Credits:
These credits took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to color, there were no shortcuts, every frame as the letters moved upwards had to colored manually.... I was seeing them in my sleep. But I think they look pretty good. I will check out the Lyman area... this is likely something I can easily fix.

Yeah, I imagine those were a pain. On that sequence with Lyman's name, it happens to every period on the screen - in Lyman's name (two of them), Lonnie Ropp, and Brian Rudolph. I did notice that in the credit screen with the song titles, the period in Mr. Brownstone is unaffected.

Quoted from Williestyle:

Mystery Girl:
Agreed she's a troglodyte! I don't know if there is much I can do here in terms of a makeover.. perhaps change her hair color.

I'd leave her alone. I'm sure her family loves her nonetheless.

2 months later
#46 7 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Any reason this is out of stock?

Plenty of reasons. Mostly, because it's awesome.

Blame the coming SM/SMVE releases for the current out-of-stockness.

Get on their mailing list and you'll know when it's back in stock. Expected late this month or early July from what I understand from the SM/SMVE ColorDMD threads.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackjacker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-gnr?tu=blackjacker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.