(Topic ID: 153884)

ColorDMD Announces Guns N' Roses! -- RELEASED!!!

By Dmod

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
colordmd_snake_boo_(resized).jpg
colordmd_snake_yay_(resized).jpg
7gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg
11gnrdmd2_(resized).jpg
12gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg
GNR_roses_(resized).jpg
GNR_Axl_Slash_(resized).jpg
GNR_roses_(resized).jpg
GNR_Yellow_Title_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

ColorDMD Rocks Data East!

ColorDMD Displays is excited to announce support for Guns N' Roses pinball machines! This marks the 35th multicolor release for ColorDMD, 4th new title in 2016, and first ever for the Data East pinball platform! Amid all the news of a GNR reunion at Coachella this year and possible stadium tour, this is the perfect time to pay tribute to this great band and a great game!

GNR_Yellow_Title_(resized).jpgGNR_Yellow_Title_(resized).jpg

Guns N’ Roses is the debut release for Color DMD developer Will Dann. A life-long fan of the band and a pinball enthusiast, Will viewed this challenge as a labor of love. Will went to his first Guns N’ Roses concert 23 years ago and has owned the pinball machine for 8 years. He will never part with it. Ever.

He resides in the greater Seattle area with his amazingly understanding wife Suzi. In his spare time he gazes pathetically at the pieces of his Star Trek: TNG pinball machine that have been lying on the floor of his man cave for almost a year. Maybe now he will have time to finish working on it!

GNR_roses_(resized).jpgGNR_roses_(resized).jpg

The ColorDMD for GNR pinball machines leverages the company's popular SIGMA platform and supports six different rendering modes. Multicolor operation is enabled through free download and installation of a game-specific ROM using a USB drive. The display may be reconfigured for use with any supported title.

Installation in GNR is slightly more challenging than other platforms and requires minor modification of the speaker panel to remove one of the existing mounting posts. Detailed installation instructions will be provided on the GNR product page prior to release.

GNR_Axl_Slash_(resized).jpgGNR_Axl_Slash_(resized).jpg

Displays for GNR will be available on the company's store site the week of March 6, and the color ROM will be available for download by Friday, March 11. We will send a follow-up announcement to our mailing list when displays are back in stock on the site. A video preview and livestream of the game are being planned prior to release.

Thank you for your continued support! Please stay tuned for some other exciting new information and product announcements later this month! For additional information, including upcoming game previews, please visit us at www.colordmd.com!

EDIT: Video Added

#2 8 years ago

Nice!

#4 8 years ago

Amazing

#6 8 years ago

This is a good thing.

#7 8 years ago

cool. Now I can put a sigma display into Rocky and Bullwinkle so I can install the high res in that game

#8 8 years ago

A Data East game..."bury" good news. Excited to see what comes next!

#9 8 years ago

Sweet. I like this!

Not so sweet: I need 1200 bucks to do my current DMDs

#10 8 years ago

Looking forward to the teaser video.

#11 8 years ago

A preview video for the new ColorDMD display for Guns N' Roses pinball machines is now available on YouTube.

Displays for GNR are available and shipping now from our store site! The color ROM for GNR will be available for download by Friday, March 11.

#12 8 years ago

Can I get a " Hell Ya " !!

#13 8 years ago

Just ordered it, can't wait to put this bad boy in!
I'm fairly new to all this though, have seen upscaled dmd's in place (CFTBL), is this something that can happen with the GNR one?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I'm fairly new to all this though, have seen upscaled dmd's in place (CFTBL), is this something that can happen with the GNR one?

You can choose what setting you like in the ColorDMD set up menu , hi-res , scan , tile , dots , dotsXL etc...

#15 8 years ago

Bump...back in stock.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

You can choose what setting you like in the ColorDMD set up menu , hi-res , scan , tile , dots , dotsXL etc...

Okay, awesome, Hi Res sounds like the way to go

#17 8 years ago

Definitely play around to see what you like best, I think I've settled on Dots XL. Also start with your contrast setting at 3 - it really helps the skin tones pop on this game. When I filmed the trailer footage, I hadn't quite figured all this out yet so you'll notice it looking fantastic live. Glad you ordered one!

#19 8 years ago

Hey guys I am going to be doing a live stream of color GNR this Thursday night at 7pm CST. Please follow and watch us at twitch.tv/pinballafterdark and @dark_pinball on Twitter. Hope to see you there!

#20 8 years ago

just ordered one myself!

#21 8 years ago

Hello all. I've wanted to do some streaming for awhile but we finally arrived at a perfect opportunity to start. My best friend just finished programming the colorDMD for Guns N Roses, which officially launches Friday morning, so we will live stream the game Thursday night so people can see what it's all about. I'm extremely proud that my friend did such a great job, and thankful to colorDMD for letting me be the beta tester over the last month or so. Great team to interact with and they loved getting feedback.

So anyway, I am launching my channel on Twitch called Pinball After Dark. I will rotate guests in and out and we will stream a different game each week, with the first episode being Thursday night at 7pm CST, so I really hope you tune in. Follow us at twitch.tv/pinballafterdark, and @dark_pinball on Twitter. Thanks and hope to see you there!

#22 8 years ago

Bump reminder that Will and Brett will be livestreaming GNR tonight at 7PM CST!

http://twitch.tv/pinballafterdark

#23 8 years ago

RELEASE!!!

The color ROM to support Guns N' Roses pinball machines has been released and is now available for download from our SUPPORT page.

Thanks again to Will Dann for coloring this title, and to Brett Emerson for all the support getting it to release!

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

GNR_roses_(resized).jpgGNR_roses_(resized).jpg

#24 8 years ago

Have the physical installation instructions for GNR been released yet? I'd love to read the install for Data East prior to purchase.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Have the physical installation instructions for GNR been released yet? I'd love to read the install for Data East prior to purchase.

Yes, there's a link to them on the GNR product page. Please note that the instructions are only for the GNR type cabinet that has a wood speaker panel.

#27 8 years ago

Installed mine Friday and spent some quality time with this over the weekend - as with every other title, it makes such a huge difference in this machine. GNR doesn't rely on a lot (comparatively) of animations per se, but does use a bunch of horizontal- and vertical-wipe type of stuff, and those have always seemed extra "flat" to me - the color really helps those simple screen wipes pop out.

The super-tight installation (DMD cable fighting for clearance under the light board) now adds an extra step whenever you need to remove the DMD/speaker panel, but not a dealbreaker.

Have seen a few anomalies in operation, though - wondering if everyone else has these or maybe a reload of my ROM is in order:

1) In Snake Pit mode, if you make the Snake Pit shot, at the end where you have Slash on a blue background and your mode bonus score across the center, everything is in blue for the last couple of frames - the background and the score.

2) On the scrolling credits screens, there's a spot in the middle that doesn't hold proper color - on the credits screen with Lyman F. Sheats, when his name gets near the top of the screen, the period after his middle initial changes from yellow into the various green/red/silver colors used in the background for a couple of frames. Later in that same screen another name (which I forget) not far behind Lyman's does the same thing.

3) Not really a bug, but the color just makes her stand out more - the girl on the left-hand side of the "1 More For Mystery" screen is quite the troglodyte. The other ladies on the DMD benefited from the colorization; Mystery girl though, nothing was going to help her. The pink numbers on the gal on the "modesty off" match screen are a nice touch.

#28 8 years ago

Blog Post and Video Installation of ColorDMD's Guns N Roses

Blog Post:
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/mod-install-colordmd-install-and-game-play-of-data-east-guns-n-roses/

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/data%20east%20color%20dmd%20repair.html

Video :

12gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg12gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg

11gnrdmd2_(resized).jpg11gnrdmd2_(resized).jpg

7gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg7gnrdmd1_(resized).jpg

#29 8 years ago

Timely post by wiggy07!

His video shows what I was describing about the end of Snake Pit mode. So it's not just me. Yay? Hopefully it's a bug or unfinished bit and not intended to be all blue like that.

Pic of right after you complete the mode, and then when it displays your mode score:

BeforeBefore
AfterAfter

Quoted from Blackjacker:

1) In Snake Pit mode, if you make the Snake Pit shot, at the end where you have Slash on a blue background and your mode bonus score across the center, everything is in blue for the last couple of frames - the background and the score.

#30 8 years ago

installed mine last night ... pretty simple but a little tight as already mentioned ... ALSO as the video stated the "data east" holes shown in the instructions do not work because you cannot close the back box door at that height (it will hit the top of the color dmd)... Then when i dropped it down to the available next holes i still have to slightly lift the back box door to get it to clear but it works ... Seriously the hardest part for me was "Step 6" the tight space you have in removing the 15 pin CN6 and then installing the "power tap".... not much room to work in there ..... nice mod tho .. looks great and makes a big difference unfortunately I didn't get a lot of time to play and enjoy before i went to bed ...... off topic if you have the Pinsound Board this just makes adjusting that even more cumbersome but i guess those are the breaks and like BlackJacker already said definitely NOT a deal breaker .....actually if we could extend the existing 26 pin ribbon cable that goes to CN3 it would make accessing the lower part of the back box less frustrating ... I assume that would be possible by adding 26 pin ribbon extension to it but im not a computer guy ... definitely gonna look into it

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

installed mine last night ... pretty simple but a little tight as already mentioned ... ALSO as the video stated the "data east" holes shown in the instructions do not work because you cannot close the back box door at that height (it will hit the top of the color dmd)... Then when i dropped it down to the available next holes i still have to slightly lift the back box door to get it to clear but it works ... Seriously the hardest part for me was "Step 6" the tight space you have in removing the 15 pin CN6 and then installing the "power tap".... not much room to work in there ..... nice mod tho .. looks great and makes a big difference unfortunately I didn't get a lot of time to play and enjoy before i went to bed ...... off topic if you have the Pinsound Board this just makes adjusting that even more cumbersome but i guess those are the breaks and like BlackJacker already said definitely NOT a deal breaker .....actually if we could extend the existing 26 pin ribbon cable that goes to CN3 it would make accessing the lower part of the back box less frustrating ... I assume that would be possible by adding 26 pin ribbon extension to it but im not a computer guy ... definitely gonna look into it

Highway Starr, in reference to the ribbon cable and lack of length, what I did was remove the ribbon cable from the wire organizers in the back box, (White Clips that organize the wires). After that, the ribbon cable had more slack which made moving the DMD display easier in removing and installing from the back box when having to drop it down. The first time before removing the ribbon cable from the wire organizers, I bent the pins on the display board and had to bend the pins back to its original location. Give it a try.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

His video shows what I was describing about the end of Snake Pit mode. So it's not just me. Yay? Hopefully it's a bug or unfinished bit and not intended to be all blue like that.

GNR Colorist here! So you found the snake pit bug! When coloring a game there are rare instances where a frame or transition sequence is not able to be colored properly. This final frame of the sequence (which sorta seems like a glitchy frame to begin with) was one of those instances due to the score being a little too embedded with the artwork. I colored it all green for a while, then decided on all blue. The other option is to black it out if it really bugs you guys. You wouldn't even notice something was missing. (To be perfectly clear, I would only be blacking out the wacky blue frame, not the rest of the awesome artwork with Slash and the snake). If I get enough feedback on this, I'll make the change with the first update ROM.

I had a blast coloring the game and as a huge GNR fan I made every effort to be as accurate as possible. I researched what video/concert a sequence was sampled from and got the clothing colors right, same with the the color of the stripes on the Mustang GT from the Don't Cry video, etc, etc. I tried to leave no stone unturned. Hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am!

I'm open to other feedback, and making additional updates within reason.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Williestyle:

GNR Colorist here! So you found the snake pit bug! When coloring a game there are rare instances where a frame or transition sequence is not able to be colored properly. This final frame of the sequence (which sorta seems like a glitchy frame to begin with) was one of those instances due to the score being a little too embedded with the artwork. I colored it all green for a while, then decided on all blue. The other option is to black it out if it really bugs you guys. You wouldn't even notice something was missing. (To be perfectly clear, I would only be blacking out the wacky blue frame, not the rest of the awesome artwork with Slash and the snake). If I get enough feedback on this, I'll make the change with the first update ROM.

My vote: black it out.

I appreciate the insights, thanks for posting that! And thank you for tackling this game - it looks great!

Along those same lines, is that the reason that the display during Coma mode is all green? Countdown, score and text - everything on-screen is one color, seems kinda flat.

I like the red trucks and blue cars in Gilby mode - very nice touch.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Williestyle:

I had a blast coloring the game and as a huge GNR fan I made every effort to be as accurate as possible. I researched what video/concert a sequence was sampled from and got the clothing colors right, same with the the color of the stripes on the Mustang GT from the Don't Cry video, etc, etc. I tried to leave no stone unturned. Hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am!
I'm open to other feedback, and making additional updates within reason.

Now thats what i call S E R V I C E !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks .... Ill vote black it out myself!

#35 8 years ago
#37 8 years ago

Snake Pit:

The people have spoken! I'll black it out.

Coma:

Yes this was one of those instances where the EKG line graph interfered with all the text making it impossible to separate things. However - old EKG machines were monochrome green, so look at it as an immersive experience... listen to that Coma heart beat / kick drum and you are right there in the hospital with Axl!

Gilby:

Thanks, this one hurt my brain and I was so happy to finish it. Colored vehicles make it much easier to navigate. Have you completed it and seen the sweet flaming skull?

Scrolling Credits:

These credits took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to color, there were no shortcuts, every frame as the letters moved upwards had to colored manually.... I was seeing them in my sleep. But I think they look pretty good. I will check out the Lyman area... this is likely something I can easily fix.

Mystery Girl:

Agreed she's a troglodyte! I don't know if there is much I can do here in terms of a makeover.. perhaps change her hair color.

#38 8 years ago

I can't get the damn thing to work! When I hold down the initiate ROM Download button, 2 green lights on the back are on but the "prog" one flashes non stop & nothing loads - what have I done wrong?

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I can't get the damn thing to work! When I hold down the initiate ROM Download button, 2 green lights on the back are on but the "prog" one flashes non stop & nothing loads - what have I done wrong?

Single repeated blink is an error code that means a file with the name "colordmd.rom" could not be found. The usual problems are extra characters like "colordmd(1).rom" or a hidden double extension "colordmd.rom.rom".

If you suspect a double extension, easiest thing to try is to delete the visible extension and try again.

To clear the error code, turn the game off and on again before inserting the USB drive.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Williestyle:

Scrolling Credits:
These credits took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to color, there were no shortcuts, every frame as the letters moved upwards had to colored manually.... I was seeing them in my sleep. But I think they look pretty good. I will check out the Lyman area... this is likely something I can easily fix.

Yeah, I imagine those were a pain. On that sequence with Lyman's name, it happens to every period on the screen - in Lyman's name (two of them), Lonnie Ropp, and Brian Rudolph. I did notice that in the credit screen with the song titles, the period in Mr. Brownstone is unaffected.

Quoted from Williestyle:

Mystery Girl:
Agreed she's a troglodyte! I don't know if there is much I can do here in terms of a makeover.. perhaps change her hair color.

I'd leave her alone. I'm sure her family loves her nonetheless.

#41 8 years ago

Will Guns and Roses ColorDMD work with Pinscore PJ-5047-HV Power Supply for Data East Dot Matrix Games? Will ColorDMD power tap daughter board for CN6 connector fit without clearance issues?
Good to know ColorDMD will work with Rottendog replacement pinball DMD driver board DMD004.
Reply from Dmod ColorDMD: Rottendog is fine as its a replacement for the DE/Sega board and matches the same timing. Stern boards have one small difference that throws off our frame recognition when used in a DE or Sega game.
I will work on a fix for this after TPF and issue a ROM update when available..
Thank You

Added over 8 years ago: Guns and Roses ColorDMD does work with Pinscore PJ-5047-HV Power Supply. Power taps fits. It is close. Also version received 5-18-16 has mounting holes for Data East and it fits without door or panel interference.

#42 8 years ago

Regarding the Stern board which I have ... Please hurry I'm dying with this single yellow color

2 weeks later
#43 8 years ago

Installed one today, awesome

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#44 8 years ago

It's glorious!

1 month later
#45 7 years ago

Any reason this is out of stock? Would love to order this!

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Any reason this is out of stock?

Plenty of reasons. Mostly, because it's awesome.

Blame the coming SM/SMVE releases for the current out-of-stockness.

Get on their mailing list and you'll know when it's back in stock. Expected late this month or early July from what I understand from the SM/SMVE ColorDMD threads.

#47 7 years ago

Got it. Thanks...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-gnr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.