(Topic ID: 120038)

ColorDMD AC/DC Now Shipping - ROM Released!!!

By Dmod

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 31 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150321_114317.jpg
20150321_114216.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-03-15 11.11.22.jpg
Why_not_both.jpg
3-13-2015 2-43-04 AM.jpg
3-13-2015 2-36-00 AM.jpg
ACDC_Color.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG
IMG_4689-2.JPG
IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4684.JPG
ACDC_HiRes_Conductor.PNG
acdc.JPG
back of new dmd.jpg

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I asked Randy the same thing. I have mine running 1.65 and don't want to lose scores also. He said there would only be issues if animations had changed between 1.65 and 1.68. If you get the color dmd for ac/dc could you keep yours at 1.65 and let us know if you incounter any problems with how it looks?
thanks,
Tslayer

I'm running 1.65 in mine for the same reason and haven't had any issues at all with the color upgrade.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

I'm running 1.65 in mine for the same reason and haven't had any issues at all with the color upgrade.

Cool - Thank You!

#253 4 years ago

The ColorDMD rocks and really fits perfectly with Aurich's awesome Helen art

2015-03-15 11.11.22.jpg
#254 4 years ago
Quoted from StormyX73:

Aww yeah!!

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from StormyX73:

OT: fun fact Helen's belly button is a 6.
image.jpg

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Thanks for the info - good to know! The real question is how easy is it to do. Will it require me to read 50 pages of the pinball browser thread? Are there instructions on how to alter the high score area specificly?

You open pinball browser, go to the scores tab, enter scores. Save. Done.

Using pinball browser isn't hard for music or sounds either. You just snip the song to the same length, convert to the right format and insert in pinball browser.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You open pinball browser, go to the scores tab, enter scores. Save. Done.
Using pinball browser isn't hard for music or sounds either. You just snip the song to the same length, convert to the right format and insert in pinball browser.

Thanks I'll check it out. I'm pretty happy with the AC/DC code, but a couple of changes might be fun...

#258 4 years ago

I just posted on my blog video and gameplay of the new ColorDMD. I recorded the DOTXL gameplay of Hells Bells and Thunderstruck.

Blog: https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/acdc-color-dmd-game-play-video-thunderstruck-and-hells-bells-dotxl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#259 4 years ago

How do you switch from DOT to DOTXL?

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

How do you switch from DOT to DOTXL?

Concretehardt , I believe its the far right button, switches through the modes.

Get to Style : push one button over to the left to select the modes in style. When you see DOTXL push the far right button until you get to save mode.

Then I think you go two more button to the left (2nd button from the left) saves your settings.

I am doing this by memory, I think that is how it works.

#261 4 years ago

Mine will be here tomorrow! I know it's not a cheap mod, but I think it's worth every penny.

Rob

#262 4 years ago

It looks great, I'm a happy customer.

Anyone know if the DOTXL mode will be added to prior releases?

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

It looks great, I'm a happy customer.
Anyone know if the DOTXL mode will be added to prior releases?

Good question and easy enough for them to do.

But I am still half way through applying the software changes than came out in February that included the TILE mode! I love it on MM, it goes so well with the castle brick images.

#264 4 years ago

hi

dotxl?

what is this exactly?

if the dot is bigger, is the space between the dots smaller?
otherwise the screen must be bigger ?!?

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

hi

what is this exactly?
.. the dot is bigger, ... space between the dots (is) smaller?

It's that.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: fun fact Helen's belly button is a 6.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I'm sorry, but a Helen translite on a Luci is just blasphemy!

Rob

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Helen has nipples and Luci don't.

#268 4 years ago

Really great job guys - looks fantastic on my machine. I already noticed a few details in the animation that I never did before due to the color making things really pop.

I was really surprised how lackluster the standard dots seemed in color. Way too much black space I guess. The XL dots are definitely better, but I highly recommend scan lines. It's a nice subtle effect that works great with the animation style on ACDC. You get the nice crisp letters and numbers of hi rez, but it doesn't seem to over-smooth all the artwork in the same way.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

If it feels good do it!
image.jpg

#270 4 years ago

I had a few minor issues with my install, but it's working now.

1: The screws on the daughterboard were not tight so 2 of them were floating around in the pink package during shipping. Good thing they did not damage the screen.

2: The seating of the ribbon cable on the daughterboard was suspect. I was not getting any picture, just a black screen. It's possible that the lock bar doesn't lock 100% because of the tag that's on it keeps it from pushing all the way down. I had it working, put it together and then had an all white screen. I reseated that cable again and now it's working.

Rob

#271 4 years ago

So why do some of you like the dotsxl as opposed to hires for example?

Plus where is the documentation for the menus/buttons?

Rob

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Helen has nipples and Luci don't.

Oh I'm sure they are in there somewhere

Rob

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

http://colordmd.com/FAQ.html

How can I change the settings on my ColorDMD display?

ColorDMD controller boards include a simple four-button menu system for changing and saving display settings. The right button is used to enter the menu system. Then left and right buttons move through the adjustable settings which currently include color, display style, backlight, and mounting position. The inner buttons are used to modify settings. The "SAVE AND EXIT" screen allows new settings to be stored to the display.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I like them both, the hires is cool, and I appreciate the benefits and work that went into it. It's nice and bright, text is really clear.

But I just love the pixel art. The designers put so much heart and soul and detail into these little 128x32 pixel grids. It's so damn tiny, it's really an art to make it look awesome. And the thing that rocks so much about ColorDMD is all of a sudden these beautiful details, that were sometimes hidden in black and three shades of orange, are coming to life. And the dots are the truest representation of that art.

I don't need them to be something they're not, the original pixels are great. But the color just enhances them, as opposed to trying to hide things, or really change them. I feel like the dot artists must love seeing it, I would love to talk to someone who did dots on a 90s game and then gets to see them in color. They should be really proud of the work they did being shown in such detail for the first time.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Hires won't turn pixel art into true high resolution cartoons. Dot/pixel art looks cool because it's working within its own limitations...and they have a retro charm to them. When you see "good" dot animation, your mind fills in the blanks. When the algorithm fills in the blanks for you, it "smears" the original art to do so - and it changes what I see in my mind. I wrote this in another thread - but Simpsons is a good example. When I look at "dot" Apu, in my mind it looks like a great retro representation of the character...but in Hires it makes his eyes a diamond shape. I know Simpsons characters all have round eyes - so hires has the opposite effect for me - it changes the artwork to a flawed version, vs. a retro version that looks cool within its limitations. On TOM, the girls look sexy in dots...but in hires, they appear to have Down's Syndrome. In Scared Stiff, the jagged edges of the TV during the match sequence don't really register in my mind as jagged edges in dots...but once the blanks are filled in...the limitations of the art become clear - it's a TV with "stair steps" - which isn't REALLY high res...it's just odd art. But in dots - looks like sweet retro art.

#276 4 years ago

While I totally agree with what Aurich and Rarehero are saying, I think AC/DC looks great using the scanline option - I recommend trying it. It's a really nice middle ground between high res and dots.

Do SAM games have more shades of color than B/W ones? This is my first ColorDMD -- I've only seen others at shows. Maybe that's what helps.

Scanline looks fantastic on everything except the live/FMV Angus in the match sequence (when he holds his hand up to his ear) -- which is totally understandable because it's not hand-drawn at the native resolution like everything else. The cartoon versions of the characters (e.g. when pulling the train whistle or blowing the TNT) look great.

P.S. this is why I'm excited to see games like Star Trek and Metallica on ColorDMD, but I don't think games like Tron or Iron Man with a lot of FMV will end up looking very good (at least not those animations).

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Do SAM games have more shades of color than B/W ones?

Yes SAM is 16 shades, others are 4 shades.

#278 4 years ago

I received mine yesterday and put in the best mod ever in my BIBLE. Out of the box, the DMD is beautiful. Love the girls exiting the low rider.....

Thanks again folks at ColorDMD, whoever the heck you folks are.... Simply gorgeous....

#279 4 years ago

I noticed in the instructions it says an 8gb flash drive or smaller for installing the rom. Has anyone used higher? All I've got is 32gb and wondering if I need to run out this weekend to grab a small one at Best Buy.

#280 4 years ago

I haves used a 32gb drive without issue.

#281 4 years ago

Just installed mine in my ACDC Pro LED.

This WILL NOT JUST INSTALL FROM THE FACTORY. If you have an ACDC PRO LED, there are some very minor modifications that MUST be done to install this properly.

Here's Exhibits A and B:

So with the LED Pro version, the speaker housing is all metal, and it has an exaggerated lip that houses the bottom of the translite. When put in place, speaker panel sits more at an angle than flat back like we are so used to. Well, that lip keeps the ColorDMD from being able to lay perfectly flat against the speaker housing. As well, there are 6 mounting screws in the speaker panel, and the bottom one actually interferes directly with the screen. Left over time, I can see this actually scratching the ColorDMD screen - not good.

20150321_114216.jpg20150321_114317.jpg

** - edited out as response below this post was very informative and helped me devise a solution - ** - please see this post as to what I did to make this install work 100% : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-know-what-it-is-like-d/page/2#post-2326381

#282 4 years ago

We have a mounting solution for the metal speaker panels using a set of 1/4" hex standoffs and washers. There's no need to cut anything but it does sit back from the speaker panel.

http://www.colordmd.com/Mounting%20for%20New%20Stern%20Cabinets.pdf

Clear displays shields and the standoff kits are available on our store site. They can also be obtained from other sources.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We have a mounting solution for the metal speaker panels using a set of 1/4" hex standoffs and washers. There's no need to cut anything but it does sit back from the speaker panel.
http://www.colordmd.com/Mounting%20for%20New%20Stern%20Cabinets.pdf
Clear displays shields and the standoff kits are available on our store site. They can also be obtained from other sources.

You are the fricking man. Thank you!

Post showing the resolution here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-finally-know-what-it-is-like-d/page/2#post-2326381

#284 4 years ago

I'd imagine that this solution will be needed for metallica pro led models as well

#285 4 years ago

I installed it this weekend and wow, it makes the game look amazing. Chose to go with the DotXL option as I felt it was crisp but also kept the dot matrix feel.

Will also add that the standard red DMD does not give all the great album artwork and animations Stern did the justice it deserves. This makes it all pop.

#286 4 years ago

Just installed this weekend also. What a great job!

Do have a question though.. Why does it come with a short ribbon cable? You use the existing cable for install and the new one would be too short to reach the sound board anyway? Is it standard for a different game?

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Just installed this weekend also. What a great job!
Do have a question though.. Why does it come with a short ribbon cable? You use the existing cable for install and the new one would be too short to reach the sound board anyway? Is it standard for a different game?

The short ribbon cable is used for the Whitestar installation.

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from dug:

The short ribbon cable is used for the Whitestar installation.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Ahhhhhh. Thanks.

Fast forward to 11:00 in my Monopoly ColorDMD install. I show the connection of the cable in question if curious.

3 weeks later
#290 4 years ago

Anyone notice a few random black dots in the Angus fleshtones during the match sequence? Was that intended?

Rob

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Anyone notice a few random black dots in the Angus fleshtones during the match sequence? Was that intended?
Rob

I haven't noticed it but I will look into it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside