(Topic ID: 120038)

ColorDMD AC/DC Now Shipping - ROM Released!!!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150321_114317.jpg
20150321_114216.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-03-15 11.11.22.jpg
Why_not_both.jpg
3-13-2015 2-43-04 AM.jpg
3-13-2015 2-36-00 AM.jpg
ACDC_Color.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG
IMG_4689-2.JPG
IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4684.JPG
ACDC_HiRes_Conductor.PNG
acdc.JPG
back of new dmd.jpg
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 9 years ago

Thanks very much for posting these grabs in dots and not high-res, I like it so much more

#52 9 years ago

I let my wife know... Fathers day is coming up so it is just a matter of time.

#54 9 years ago

I was wondering about SAM shading! This will make SAM games stand out from Williams and early Whitestar.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

When will we see video?

A little birdie tells me it's being worked on, so I'd guess soon.

#56 9 years ago

Looks great!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A little birdie tells me it's being worked on, so I'd guess soon.

I'm waiting on this...can't wait to see it!

#58 9 years ago

It is amazing how deep this game is. We had to try and "discover" everything in the game rules wise and there are so many little things that I didn't know existed in the rules. I am sure I will never see a lot of them in game but really good players might. The little things Lyman included are really impressive. I have a new appreciation for the game now and have kind of fallen back in love for it.

When I was working on Dredd I kind of got sick of the game and didn't play it for a while. The opposite has happened with AcDc, I can't get enough of it now.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

It is amazing how deep this game is. We had to try and "discover" everything in the game rules wise and there are so many little things that I didn't know existed in the rules. I am sure I will never see a lot of them in game but really good players might. The little things Lyman included are really impressive. I have a new appreciation for the game now and have kind of fallen back in love for it.
When I was working on Dredd I kind of got sick of the game and didn't play it for a while. The opposite has happened with AcDc, I can't get enough of it now.

Looks great!

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Funny thing is during coloring for DW (which was the better part of a year) I didn't play the game much at all. Sad really because it is a great game. I also learned tons about the game, though it also made me think about how much the game could be with a new ruleset, improved dots, sound, added modes, etc. One thing about newer games are all the different ways you can achieve different MB and scoring modes. While DW has some good strategy available due to the different doctor selections, they are unbalanced in some ways. Once finished I was about ready to sell DW but then I started playing it again and realized just how fun it is. It's got me wanting to go back to the P-ROC project I had planned to do with it before coloring.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I was talking with the artist who's helping colorize Metallica (going to look so awesome) and he was talking about how great all the dots were for things I'm never going to see with the glass on.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I think I'm going to just go ahead and hack in a 12v power supply to the bill validator connector as seen in this post, unless someone advises me otherwise.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-how-do-i-re-wire-this-fgy-service-outlet-to-turn-on-off-with-the-game#post-1700290

Here's some more data:

The ColorDMD is powered from the 12V supply which is fed by bridge 3. The feed to bridge 3 is protected by fuses F12 and F13 on the input terminals. Both are 5A fuses. I pulled the fuse at F12 and measured the AC current through F12 to the bridge.

AC/DC in game mode and the ball at rest in the shooter lane. ColorDMD plugged into the power source connector on the right side of the cabinet.

ColorDMD Unplugged: 0.207A

With the ColorDMD Plugged In:
ColorDMD(Backlight=1): 0.617A
ColorDMD(Backlight=5): 0.738A
ColorDMD(Backlight=9): 0.849A

The total measured current with the ColorDMD at max brightness is only 0.85A and well below the 5A fuse rating for that circuit.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was talking with the artist who's helping colorize Metallica (going to look so awesome) and he was talking about how great all the dots were for things I'm never going to see with the glass on.

Oh, you mean like End of Line, which I was one CIU relight away from last night when my game ended around 300 million? >=\

#64 9 years ago

When will the video be out.

#65 9 years ago

I can only say for both of these titles that newer Stern games like AC/DC and MET have truly great dots. There are plenty of places where it might be hard to tell what is happening because of video rips, but the coloring both main artists are doing on them is nothing short of fantastic. Things you can't normally make out become so much clearer. While dots can be colored by anyone, the choices made by a colorist are absolutely important to getting it right while making it clear what is being presented and making things look the best they can. The countless hours that go into coloring and recoloring, reviewing, editing, bugfixing are pretty overwhelming if you stop to think about it during or after the process is over. The team at CDMD is really that, a team and community and it's really fun to see all the progress made on games throughout their development.

When I am only helping out with sprites on a game, my focus is usually pretty narrow just to those modes but I get to see things progress. While the scope of my help is sometimes narrow, it takes into account everything about the game's coloring as we strive to make things consistent.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh, you mean like End of Line, which I was one CIU relight away from last night when my game ended around 300 million? >=\

Hey, that's closer than I've been! He said the end dots were awesome, so now I have to decide once I get the ColorDMD do I want to earn them, or cheat and just see them? Problem is if I do earn them I'm not gonna want to sit there and watch the DMD ...

#67 9 years ago

UPDATE:

All displays are back in stock and shipping now!

Video for AC/DC will be out soon.

Hardware for AC/DC preorders is shipping. Color ROM available for download on/before March 13.

http://www.colordmd.com

#68 9 years ago

Damn you guys. I already have 14 of these things. But you keep picking the games I own. I think it is a plot.

I have an AC/DC Pro sitting next to my LOTR with ColorDMD. I was thinking of moving the ColorDMD over to "help beta test a Pro" for you. But I have the feeling if I do that #15 would be ordered soon after.

Keep up the good work.

#69 9 years ago

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but do you need to order any additional mounting HW along with the DMD for ACDC or other SAM games? Thanks

#70 9 years ago

Go

Quoted from jints56:I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but do you need to order any additional mounting HW along with the DMD for ACDC or other SAM games? Thanks

Good question, I would also like to know if I need to buy anything extra before making the purchase. I think the extra hardware is needed only for the new style slanted speaker boxes but I could be wrong.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but do you need to order any additional mounting HW along with the DMD for ACDC or other SAM games? Thanks

Nothing else is needed for AC/DC or other Stern games with wood speaker panels. The display is preassembled and installation cables are provided. Installation can usually be completed in 10 minutes.

For games with metal speaker panels, a clear display shield and set of hex spacers is needed.

#72 9 years ago

I bet "back in stock" days are pretty crazy at ColorDMD HQ.

/pack, ship, repeat.

#73 9 years ago

Video and updated shipping information has been added to the original post.

#74 9 years ago

That digitized video bit at the end looks surprisingly good.

#75 9 years ago

I want to order this but have both the Total Rock Concert Mod and the Pinball MikeD LCD mod. Will this work with both those mods installed or will it overload the power supply?

#76 9 years ago

Wow. Makes me want to buy an ACDC again. Great work as always.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

I want to order this but have both the Total Rock Concert Mod and the Pinball MikeD LCD mod. Will this work with both those mods installed or will it overload the power supply?

I posted some power measurements above. ColorDMD running in the game at max backlight measured about 0.85A on a 5A circuit. Not sure how much current the other mods draw but there's quite a bit of margin there.

If you want to know for sure, the best thing to do is to try pulling the fuse at F12 and use a DMM in AC current mode to measure the current being pulled across F12 by the game while everything's running. If you're not sure how to do this, please seek assistance.

#78 9 years ago

It still says pre order on the site or did they sell that fast?

#79 9 years ago

I left it at preorder because the ROM is not yet available for download, but hardware is shipping now.

#80 9 years ago

That looks so damn bad ass in motion.

Also, Chris, you're my hero for the end music, you know that right?

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's the worst. You'll get there soon enough, I'm sure of it. Kind of surprised you didn't get there on that ass whooping you handed me a couple weeks ago.

As for AC/DC - I'd say to take my money but I don't have any right now. Someone give me some money that he can take This looks like a must have for this title and for my Met. I'm going to go broke with all these cool mods.

#82 9 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful. Great job!

#83 9 years ago

I'm in. Ordered this one!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That's the worst. You'll get there soon enough, I'm sure of it. Kind of surprised you didn't get there on that ass whooping you handed me a couple weeks ago.

You are gonna love my pro, dude. It'll be in the Pinnovators booth, make sure you stop by and take a look...I did some interesting LED choices that turned out REALLY good I think.

#85 9 years ago

That looks amazing...even the Angus live video!

#86 9 years ago

watching Angus do his guitar strut in color is surreal!

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You are gonna love my pro, dude. It'll be in the Pinnovators booth, make sure you stop by and take a look...I did some interesting LED choices that turned out REALLY good I think.

Will do. I'm actually looking more forward to that STTNG since I've never played a decent example of it.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That digitized video bit at the end looks surprisingly good.

Bodes well for Tron!!!! They've proven they've got the skills to color live action characters on black background.

#89 9 years ago

Man.. The live video looked spot on. Fantastic news.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bodes well for Tron!!!! They've proven they've got the skills to color live action characters on black background.

Tron doesn't generally have a lot of color in the video segments though. Mostly black or white with some glow/highlight color.

Ironman clips would be rough, but would be interesting to see attempted.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Man.. The live video looked spot on. Fantastic news.

I wonder if they could actually make IM's video-capture dots look like something more than a bunch of swirling dots?

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I wonder if they could actually make IM's video-capture dots look like something more than a bunch of swirling dots?

Given the amount of different colors in some ironman scenes, I would think it would end up blotchy - but who knows, it might work.

#93 9 years ago

Looks really really nice! Look forward to Metallica.

Also another shameless NGG plug, heck if I knew you were doing it I would even just buy one and wait

#94 9 years ago

Just ordered. Hopefully this will get me playing AC/DC again...until Metallica is finished.

#96 9 years ago

This just made our day!

SteveRitchie.PNGSteveRitchie.PNG
#97 9 years ago

Rock on!

#98 9 years ago

Looks great Randy!

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Given the amount of different colors in some ironman scenes, I would think it would end up blotchy - but who knows, it might work.

I think they could actually make the majority of them look decent, it would just take some time. Many of them are Iron Man flying on a blue sky, or characters against dark backgrounds. As long as the characters are nice and clearly colored, they could fudge the BG details a bit or even keep them shades of grey.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

This just made our day!

SteveRitchie.PNG

That's awesome, I love that he saw that. Must be a trip to see the game you made suddenly coming to life in color like that.

I've kept putting off getting an ACDC, but I can't wait to see this installed.

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-acdc-as-game-18-official/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.