ColorDMD Addams Family Demo at PPE

By Dmod

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

ColorDMD Displays will be onhand at the 6th Annual Pacific Pinball Exposition in San Rafael, California on September 21-23, 2012. We will be demonstrating our new Addams Family pinball color display which is set to release in October. We'd like to thank Dan Miller for organizing the demonstration. Randy and Chris will be in attendance at the show so keep an eye out for our ColorDMD T-Shirts and feel free to stop us to say hello.

For additional announcements regarding our October production run, please register for our mailing list at http://www.colordmd.com.

#2 11 years ago

Can you make some MM dmd's. Why such a delay?

#3 11 years ago

The October run will include more MM and AFM displays along with the pilot run for TAF. At our current rate, you can expect production runs every 2-3 months. We're still bootstrapping and increasing production on each run to address supply shortfalls.

The last run was early August so it hasn't really been as long as it may seem. Between production runs, we're busy ordering parts, addressing customer issues, and continuing to develop future products.

#4 11 years ago

All good news. Well done!

Have there been any changes to the code and animations of the TAF ColorDMD since CAX?

#5 11 years ago

I am ready for my MM - thanks.

#6 11 years ago

Have one in my AFM - fantastic! Highly recommended!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Have there been any changes to the code and animations of the TAF ColorDMD since CAX?

The major change between the CAX and PPE demos is that we are using a new board revision which integrates a lamp interface to control the THING lamps. (A prototype for this board was demonstrated at CAX). Because the LCD occupies the space where a lamp board would normally reside, we're using the ColorDMD to read the lamp matrix and illuminate the screen behind the THING letters.

We are continuing to tweak a few of the animations between now and the production release in October, and we are also incorporating the new sprite coloring engine (introduced for MM video mode) to handle some of the more 'random' animation sequences.

#8 11 years ago

I am wondering why you guys are not taking preorders with money up front for the first run of TAF?

Seems like with the past 2 releases you have had lots of disgruntled fans that have anxiously awaited the release and then just been too slow to buy before they sell out (we all know they go quick!). I have also seen a few of your DMDs get flipped for a profit on the secondary market and I would guess that the flippers will be out in full force for the TAF release >> that likely translates to more PO'd fans.

I am sure many would happily pay up front for a secured spot in the October release...

#9 11 years ago

What is planned after TAF??

#10 11 years ago

Wouldn't Doing a order end the same way. Second preorder starts they run out of them and people still left out. Flippers can still do the same thing.

#11 11 years ago

Are recent Sterns possible with the setup used?

#12 11 years ago

Is the dev kit out? I'm interested in working with that

#13 11 years ago

Would it be possible to have a color DMD that is generic that the user could select a single color to have a customizable look to their games? For example, a lot of people would like to have an affordable blue DMD for TRON and Avatar.
If ColorDMd is selling these intensive programmed DMD's for $400, can't you provide the generic setup without the programming and just selectable mono colors for around $250?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Would it be possible to have a color DMD that is generic that the user could select a single color to have a customizable look to their games? For example, a lot of people would like to have an affordable blue DMD for TRON and Avatar.
If ColorDMd is selling these intensive programmed DMD's for $400, can't you provide the generic setup without the programming and just selectable mono colors for around $250?

I think thats a fabulous idea!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Wouldn't Doing a order end the same way. Second preorder starts they run out of them and people still left out. Flippers can still do the same thing.

I was making the assumption that they could make production better fit demand if they had a preorder list with payment up front (more $ to work with plus a better idea of # desired). Even if they have to leak them out at 200 per batch, people will be less likely to feel the need to pay a flipper if they know they will get one in run #X...

#16 11 years ago

Looking foward to seeing it. I don't like the fit of this one as much as the others, but it could turn out a winner.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am wondering why you guys are not taking preorders with money up front for the first run of TAF?

Preorders can solve some problems but they create others including relationships with distributors, and with customers when products are delayed. There's no real need to take anyone's money until we know we have a product that's ready to ship.

The underlying problem we've had is the supply shortfall. We're trying to address this by bootstrapping production volumes on each run so that we (hopefully) have fewer disappointed customers in the future. With each run and new product release, we learn a little more about the addressable market and demand levels. Interested buyers can help by subscribing to our mailing list and indicating their interest through our product notification lists.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

What is planned after TAF??

Once we get the October release out, we plan to start work on the next 2 or 3 titles in parallel for release through the first half of next year. We'll announce the titles when they're far enough along to demo, but our focus is currently on Bally/Williams games.

#19 11 years ago

If I had to guess, TZ, and MB would make most sense. Nice if CFTBL was done

#20 11 years ago

If I am allowed, I am happy to assist with developer code for WhoDunnit or FT. I understand that they are less likely titles to get the treatment unless it is through voulenteer manhours.

#21 11 years ago

I think a ColorDMD would look fantastic in WH20, MB, TOTAN, and TZ.

I think they'd all make sense from a business standpoint, too. Each game either was made in large enough numbers or has such a high value that there is a certain amount of "guaranteed" sales, if they decided to do a run for any of these pins. The higher value pins, people buy the ColorDMD because they usually add a lot of mods and the ColorDMD adds that extra little sizzle to the pin. The other, more common pins, there's just so many of them out there that the percentage of owners that would actually buy the ColorDMD's translates into a number that makes it financially feasible to do.

Can't you just imagine the sunset scene in TOTAN after you save the princess in full color? That would be worth it alone!

#22 11 years ago

Can someone snap a video of TAF colorDMD and post please! Super excited for this!

#23 11 years ago

They should have it on their website....

Here it is. Just what we've been searching for!

http://shop.colordmd.com/Addams-ColorDMD-Display-Available-Q4-2012-TAF.htm

#24 11 years ago

Looks awesome. My aunt has a TAF (man do I wish we got along!) and I forwarded her your link. Maybe I'll get to see one someday!

#25 11 years ago

Thanks- await on their website, just thought it would be cool to see it in action...also would like to see how they pulled off the 'thing' lights below the DMD.

#26 11 years ago

await = saw

Phone typing

#27 11 years ago

I'm here at PPE now. Color DMD's look as great as ever and it's nice seeing people's reaction to it that have never seen it before.

I heard a guy outside on his cell talking to someone saying... "...imagine playing MM in color dude!!"

#28 11 years ago

I saw a couple errors whilst I was playing it. The first was during the T-H-I-N-G bonus where Thing walks across the screen. The animation was completely white until the last 20% or so, then it went full color. A couple of other animations also had the color flicker from white to colored as they started, but I can't remember which ones they were, at the moment. Later on, in the Tunnel Hunt mode, when the Tunnel Hunt screen first came up, the screen went all funky and started freaking out. It was only for a couple seconds, but it still did it.

Then, after a while(on my second ball) the game just reset. The odd thing was that the DMD stayed on the whole time even though the playfield went dark and nothing else was on or working. I doubt the ColorDMD caused it, but it still happened.

I still find it hilarious that with TAF being the pin with the highest production numbers in the last few decades, there was only one at each of the west coast pinball shows: PAGG, CAX, and PPE! Oh, we had FOUR Taxi's at PPE and plenty of duplicates of many other titles, but only ONE TAF. I'm beginning to think many op's just threw theirs out when they were done with them and that they're actually kind of scarce.........no that can't be it.

#29 11 years ago

Any thoughts of using Kickstarter to bootstrap future releases?

#30 11 years ago

Can I put a request in for SM!!

#31 11 years ago

Looks good. I would consider getting one for my TAF.

#32 11 years ago

I will definitely be getting one for my TAF. If I'm fast enough that is...

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have only been to the website like 10 times trying to pay for one.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yeah... what he said.

#35 11 years ago

That is a great idea.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Yeah... what he said.

Nope, because these aren't DMD's, they are LCD's which require programing to replicate each and every frame.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Nope, because these aren't DMD's, they are LCD's which require programing to replicate each and every frame.

Actually, they already have that feature. Check the website under FAQ.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Actually, they already have that feature. Check the website under FAQ.

It says in their website that the LCD "can be made" to work with any game. But it requires the programming first. Plug it into Tron and see what happens...

#39 11 years ago

ColorDMD LCD displays can be put in a single-color mode that works with any game, but only the programmed full-color sequences will work with currently supported games, obviously.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

ColorDMD LCD displays can be put in a single-color mode that works with any game, but only the programmed full-color sequences will work with currently supported games, obviously.

I stand corrected then. Sounds cool

#41 11 years ago

Hope they make one for sttng or one of the early sterns like TSPP or lotr

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 159.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-addams-family-demo-at-ppe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.