DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
Customized Art.png
Flames - Modified  Art.png
Flames - Origianl Art.png
Angus - Dots.png
Angus Upscaled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

SDMD is currently only for Stern SAM games as I am aware, CDMD for Stern WS, SAM, and B/W WPC. CDMD will also work in DE games but none have yet been colored.

Smart dmd will work with any game. you will just have to set your own pallete. Like with CDMD you can choose a color and put it any game but just that color with 4 different shades. On Smart DMD you can choose which 4 colors you want, and can be completely different colors.

Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, you can with Pinball Browser if you're just doing it yourself. But I *believe* if you buy the pre-colored dots from Mike you cannot edit them yourself then. Just change the palettes. If I'm wrong someone correct me and point me to a source and I'll fix.

I can change any dot to any color that i want to with pinball browser. after you get the modified rom image you can modify it any way you want.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My understanding though is that what Mike is distributing is "locked down" in some fashion, and you cannot just open it up and edit.

where did you get that from? im not saying it isnt true because no one has his stuff yet but i havent seen this anywhere? do you have somewhere you are referencing to? or is this how you "think" it might work?

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is it possible to colorize your own dots with Smart DMD on Whitestar? What program could you use if so?

I believe it is possible to pick a color pallete but not colorize each dot. I know it works with DE bally/williams and sega so i am assuming it works with whitestar as well.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I'm curious about Data East version 3 boards. rocky and bullwinkle is one of my favorite pins and it has fantastic animations. It was stated in another thread that SmartDMD would only be able to handle 4 colors per frame on this MPU. Is this correct?

I believe this is correct. Except it is 4 colors per game, not 4 per frame. I believe you pick one color scheme for the whole game.

#121 9 years ago

Just so everyone knows you are comparing mikes PMD smart dmd vs color dmd.

SmartDMD was designed to be used and colorized by the individual and you can do whatever you want with it. PMD has made it available all in one and will colorize a game for you if you want for an extra charge.

SmartDMD is still around and will continue to be.

So this thread really does not talk about the benefits of smartDMD just the PMD to be clear.

SmartDMD will work with many more machines other than just SAM machines. Those are the only ones mike is planning on colorizing at the moment. but you can colorize a game yourself for whatever game you want. Bally/williams, DE, SEGA, Stern...

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think the biggest deal killer for me with smartdmd is the lack of shading. It really shows in this image.

Rob

Just to let everyone know that images doesnt look like it even takes 16 colors with all the shading. So PMD would be capable of showing the same thing as the CDMD but when it was colored it was not done that way. With SmartDMD software you could make them look pretty much the same.

1 week later
#321 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

ColorDMD vs SmartDMD thread

wrong!!!

all the smartdmd guys stop posting because it was so one sided from you. If you want to compare PMD to ColorDMD go for it but it isnt out yet so it will be hard.

As far as SmartDMD goes you refuse to list any of its pros so we all stopped trying.

THIS THREAD DOES NOT COMPARE SMARTDMD TO ANYTHING!!! SmartDMD is not being represented here at all.

Read the first thread all the pros have a long intro and warnings with them. And pure flat out lies!! Any game can be had for free!! not $50. you can customize anything you want on the SmartDMD unlike the opening post suggest.

Everyone from SmartDMD stopped posting in here because it is only a pro ColorDMD thread, and we were just getting ignored anyway.

#333 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In case you missed it this is the ColorDMD vs SmartDMD thread, where we're comparing things. I'm just hoping to see some more actual comparisons directly from end users.

Quoted from Aurich:

The very first line of this thread is "This thread is for ColorDMD vs Mike PMD's SmartDMD." The thread title is "ColorDMD vs PMD Smart DMD comparison".

This is what i was reffering to. U keep putting it out there like the PMD is the SmartDMD. SmartDMD was out way before the PMD.

Quoted from Aurich:

As for the editing and cost, Mike has been changing his mind on all of that as the thread has progressed. Which is his right. But until something is shipping it's hard to tell what's really going on, so I'm behind on editing info that was correct when the thread started. If someone can confirm they have a PMD SmartDMD, that they were able to load the fully colored ACDC onto it for free, and that they can edit it however they want I'd be grateful.

Did someone have it in hands and told you that was what it was going to be in the first post? No we told you it was different and then when it was proven to be different you ignore it and wont change the info. We get it this is a pro ColorDMD thread and you cant talk about SmartDMD in it even though its in the title.

First off games are free now. one error. Second you can modify anything you want however you want. two errors. Game cost is $300 now. third error.

193 colors on ColorDMD wrong sort of. You can pick 12 Colors and automatically get 16 shades for each color.

12 unique COLORS with 16 different shades of those colors. 16*12=192+black= 193.

Also why put in the stuff about needing to have a windows computer? anyone with a Mac knows how to run in windows mode.

But all of these are still wrong in the "unbiased" begining? Doesnt sound to unbiased to me.

And even if you did change it now, the damage is done from the previous month of lies. Everyone has made up their mind because of these false "facts".

They are really for different people.
ColorDMD if you want something plug and play you cant change and money isnt a concern.
SmartDMD if you want to edit the colors so you can have "your own" colors and saving a $100 means something, if you have no computer skills and not willing to learn then this product prob isnt for you.

#336 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Nope. Dont do it and was told this product is not for everyone. I wont buy it.

OK like my post said if you have no computer skills and are not willing to learn then SmartDMD isnt for you. Gives you no benefit except saving $100.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't. Whenever I had PC/Windows - NOTHING worked, ever. Now that I'm Mac across the board, I don't want to bother with anything Windows related.

If Pinball Browser & ColorDMD's development software worked on Macs, I would have changed a bunch of soundtracks & colored a bunch of ColorDMD games by now!

I think you meant to say SmartDMD.

If you think you have a chance at coloring a ColorDMD or SmartDMD you have more than enough skills to run a mac in windows mode.

Who knows maybe it will support mac in the future.

#338 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you've read any of the ColorDMD threads, you've seen the confusion that simply copying a file to a USB drive (using any computer with any OS), then installing it on the display can cause. The requirement to patch a ROM file and reload the game is most definitely something that needs to be included in the comparison.

Ok this makes sense then. I was thinking that if people really have a hard time with running windows then they might have trouble just messing with the USB drive and loading new software onto a pinball machine.

From what you said that seems to be the case and it looks to be a bigger deal than i thought. Computers are second nature to me.

So leave the windows thing in as some seem to have a problem with running windows.

Quoted from herg:

Mike's PMD SmartDMD based kit is a very welcome improvement. It is the reason we're having this discussion.

Mikes kit is great, if only just because he puts everything together for you. But that is not what we are comparing as Aurich has made clear. We are comparing PMD's color scheme to ColorDMD's color scheme.

Quoted from herg:

For AC/DC, that is what's on the website. Who knows for other games? I'm so confused at this point.

I thought that was all we are comparing right now?

Quoted from Aurich:

This thread is primarily for people who own ACDC (possibly Metallica or other games, but for now mostly ACDC) who want to buy something they can plug in, and have a color game.

1 month later
#387 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Why would anyone that purchased a SmartDMD post their opinion here? They’d have to be a glutton for punishment. Has it occurred to you that maybe SmartDMD owners simply aren’t interested in arguing with you?

thats why i stopped posting. Everything i would say he would then say ohh well i will have to check on that. The first post never gets updated, even though he has checked on it and it is true and has been true for a long time. So people get misinformation from the begining.

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Obviously you don't control all macros that would be passed around for pinball browser, but for the ones you support in the future, are they going to be case-by-case considered for 'locked' distribution, or is it straight up open source from here on out?

Its up to the programmer whether they want to share their work or not. Most of the ones i know are open.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

You've said this before, completely ignoring the fact that Aurich has, on several occasions stated that any corrections should be pointed out to him and he has updated the original post several times. None if this seems to matter to you.

Have you actually read any of my comments? I have stated it multiple times to him in PM and through this thread. He always said well i will have to check on it. Well he checked on it about a month ago and knew it to be true as i stated it, and still hasnt changed it.

EDIT: Going back and looking he has changed a couple things as of three days ago. after what you quoted me for.

Still very misleading about coloring costing $50 Where is that info from? Who has told you they are charging $50 for their roms? It is either they are giving it for free or they are not sharing it at all from what i have seen so far.

But when you quoted my message nothing had been updated for over a month.

Quoted from Aurich:

if something isn't accurate just post it.

Quoted from Aurich:

You can't change the way the dots are colored yourself, but you could decide that you want to make all shades of a certain red a shade of green instead. (Edit: It seems this is changing, and you can edit the dots after all. Stay tuned.) (Edit2: You can edit the dots on "unlocked" games, but still can't if someone chooses to not give it away for free, and keeps it locked.)

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I can change any dot to any color that i want to with pinball browser. after you get the modified rom image you can modify it any way you want.

So thats had an edit but why why have the original misinformation there? Put out the current info for everyone to see. We dont have it posted how ColorDMD first started working and has changed since for example the different options for upscalling and scan lines has not been available the whole time but there are no edits in there with misinformation?

Also whos files are locked? have you seen or heard of one file that is locked or being charged for? I have heard of people not sharing their work and that is their choice which is fine.

It just seems that if Aurich hears something bad for SmartDMD it gets edited in right away and even when it is proven that it is not correct it stays there and just has an edit after it. And when he hears something good for SmartDMD his response is always i will have to check on that even if he knows it to be true. Why dont you check the bad things before making the edit? Seems very one sided.

#401 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thing is, in the middle of the thread Mike went "screw that, I'm giving everything away!" And cool, good for him, he's of course free to do that. But it wasn't clear what that meant. He's promised people who were coloring for him a cut of the sales. So were they going to still get paid? It seemed like the deal was some files might be given away, the ones he did himself at least, some might be $50 still, or maybe they'd be "pay what you like". I still don't honestly know.

If you know then speak up. But you didn't know about the $50 charge, or the locked files, so I'm kinda thinking you're not actually sure yourself. I think you're just defending "generic" SmartDMD, which is totally open, totally editable, and a DIY kind of product.

Thats what im talking about. It was all heresay in the beginning and he was trying to figure out what was going to be done. But since he has stated otherwise and you continue to leave the old "facts" in that are nowhere near facts. Yes at the beginning he was thinking about charging for the roms. Did he ever do it? Not that im aware of. Has he since changed it? Yes so lets edit stuff to the correct info as of now.

I did know about the $50 and the locked files. But when you started this thread that was allready starting to change. by the end of the first page i told you it changed. Mike told you it had changed, his thread where you say you are getting your info from has changed. Your thread however has not. Just update it and take all the old stuff out, that we know to be incorrect now.

#403 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's simply not true, sorry. Mike announced that he would change things and give them away for free in this very thread. On page 5. This post:

It is true, it was being talked about behind the scenes. but you know everything because you are part of every conversation. His product wasnt even officially announced for sale before you started this thread so no everything wasnt set in stone before you started this thread. he was just doing sneek previews. So yeah the product has changed and evolved. Unlike this thread.

He announced it in this thread to you around page 5. It was know well before. I told you way before(page 1 to be exact), and you refused to believe it.

That is why I have stopped posting here, you asked and now you have an answer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorddmd-vs-smartdmd-comparison?tu=jdawg4422 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.