DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
Customized Art.png
Flames - Modified  Art.png
Flames - Origianl Art.png
Angus - Dots.png
Angus Upscaled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grinder901.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 9 years ago

I have a Colordmd in both my IM and my Avengers LE. Randy has been super helpful whenever I needed him for my installation questions. Easy as hell to install and a definite albeit not cheap improvement over the stock DMD. However neither of my titles has really ever been breathed by Randy or Colordmd as a likely title of colorization. Mike and his guys at SmartDMD are about to release Avengers and say IM is a title they plan on doing. It's simple for me. I want color so I'm going with their color display for my games.

#168 9 years ago

Here's a dumb question: is it impossible for these companies to say, "hey potential customers, we have X amount of artists on our team and here are the tentative dates for these titles to be released". Is that crazy of me to want that information?

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

I'm sure everyone would like that but then there's a two edge sword, of for some reason they can't be done with something by the advertised date people will complain.
Oh and quick, someone get the guy that published that white paper into helping organize a colorization crew

Well throwing out that tentative word as a disclaimer would prevent me from being upset if they were delayed and if they finish before the date well then Merry Christmas.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

IMO, what would be even better would be to offer an interactive web-based voting and pre-order system on the company website.
Stage 1 - allow visitors to vote for which titles they'd like to see colorized.
Stage 2 - for the titles that reach a certain threshold of votes from stage 1, the system would move those titles into a finalist group and allow visitors to place pre-orders with a minimal down-payment, say $50-$100? (only refundable if title doesn't get released for some reason). If I were at the helm, I'd even offer a discount to all those that pre-order a title since I'd be able to plan my inventory and purchasing better.
Stage 3 - Have a 'bounty board' where enthusiastic visitors could post a bounty, which would be payable to the colorization person/team once title released. Think of it as an incentive, donation or tip. This could be an optional +add during the pre-order part of stage 2. Using bounties, perhaps we'll have a better shot at getting low production quantity games like Champion Pub, Cactus Canyon, Playboy 2002, and others colorized.

I love it. Very out of the box ideas with a heavy emphasis towards customer involvement. Would be awesome to see a poll showing which games customers want done. I'd def be down for the bounty idea as well to incentivize artists to do less popular titles.

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

IMO the reason companies don't do that is because the public will hold them to EXACTLY the date they said it would be released. If it is released a month after deadline the pitchforks will come out and the public outrage will be loud. Look what happened to PPS and missing the deadline on MMR. I bet they'll NEVER give an anticipated release date again.

Come on, you are comparing a $300-$400 dollar mod to a $8,000 dollar game?

If I were told we plan on releasing these titles on these dates but that could change for any reason and then if I was told when those reasons had occurred to delay titles, Id understand. Why does this business have such a hard time with communication with its customers? The more communication, the more loyalty and the more open wallets stay open.

#201 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

You are comparing PMD's coloring of ACDC to ColorDMD. Yes you can compare the technical aspects of it, but read through the amount of disinformation in this thread. Worse yet you post in other threads with half baked information. In short, you do more harm than good.

Come on, it's clear that Aurich is partial to one maker over the other.

Quoted from Aurich:

Mike has already announced several games, and indicated he wants to do a lot more. I think he said his plan is to do all SAM games.
ColorDMD has pre-announced several titles too. Metallica, Tron, and Twilight Zone at least.
Thing is, these colorizations take time. You can run into obstacles. Some games are done by volunteers, with day jobs, just volunteering their time. It's hard to target dates.
It's no really reasonable to expect more than what we are getting. Both companies are happy to accept your volunteer time if you want to colorize a game yourself.

I actually reached out to both companies and didn't get a response from either.

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike has already announced several games, and indicated he wants to do a lot more. I think he said his plan is to do all SAM games.
ColorDMD has pre-announced several titles too. Metallica, Tron, and Twilight Zone at least.
Thing is, these colorizations take time. You can run into obstacles. Some games are done by volunteers, with day jobs, just volunteering their time. It's hard to target dates.
It's no really reasonable to expect more than what we are getting. Both companies are happy to accept your volunteer time if you want to colorize a game yourself.

So the artists that color Colordmd don't get any compensation for their time? I think Mike said his artists get a piece of the action. Maybe I have that wrong.

#262 9 years ago

Avengers Assemble!!

#278 9 years ago

I'll gladly donate to the artist once the game has been colored in addition to buying any hardware needed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grinder901.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorddmd-vs-smartdmd-comparison?tu=grinder901 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.