Topic Stats

• 414 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 48 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

amazon-goats.jpg
HceI0OB.gif
o-NEWCASTLE-AD-facebook.jpg
dmd-redhead.jpg
sexy-redheads-30-e1292983407844_large.jpg
3-13-2015 2-43-04 AM.jpg
3-13-2015 2-36-00 AM.jpg
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
Customized Art.png
Flames - Modified  Art.png
Flames - Origianl Art.png
Angus - Dots.png
Angus Upscaled.png

There are 414 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thing is, in the middle of the thread Mike went "screw that, I'm giving everything away!" And cool, good for him, he's of course free to do that. But it wasn't clear what that meant. He's promised people who were coloring for him a cut of the sales. So were they going to still get paid? It seemed like the deal was some files might be given away, the ones he did himself at least, some might be $50 still, or maybe they'd be "pay what you like". I still don't honestly know.

If you know then speak up. But you didn't know about the $50 charge, or the locked files, so I'm kinda thinking you're not actually sure yourself. I think you're just defending "generic" SmartDMD, which is totally open, totally editable, and a DIY kind of product.

Thats what im talking about. It was all heresay in the beginning and he was trying to figure out what was going to be done. But since he has stated otherwise and you continue to leave the old "facts" in that are nowhere near facts. Yes at the beginning he was thinking about charging for the roms. Did he ever do it? Not that im aware of. Has he since changed it? Yes so lets edit stuff to the correct info as of now.

I did know about the $50 and the locked files. But when you started this thread that was allready starting to change. by the end of the first page i told you it changed. Mike told you it had changed, his thread where you say you are getting your info from has changed. Your thread however has not. Just update it and take all the old stuff out, that we know to be incorrect now.

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Thats what im talking about. It was all heresay in the beginning and he was trying to figure out what was going to be done.

No, it wasn't. Simple facts. They're still true now too, if the game isn't free, you can't edit it. That hasn't changed. How the DRM works I have no idea, Mike never posted that part. Maybe there will never be a single one released with the DRM, I have no idea. Mike would have to clarify if things are just on pause, or if he's not going back to his original idea again.

You're acting like he was just musing out loud. These are simple things that were clearly posted. He posted the prices in his official thread, I clarified in his thread what he meant just to be safe, and posted them here. Simple. No hidden agenda, no making things up.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I did know about the $50 and the locked files. But when you started this thread that was allready starting to change.

That's simply not true, sorry. Mike announced that he would change things and give them away for free in this very thread. On page 5. This post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorddmd-vs-smartdmd-comparison/page/5#post-2294855

Again, good for Mike! I'm not attacking him at all. But page 5 of my thread is pretty deep into it, you're acting like when I started it things were going to be free already. Not true. My link there proves it.

I have no idea if anyone ever actually paid for one. To my knowledge Mike never shipped a single complete kit, so I doubt it. If anyone bought one and got it shipped to them feel free to chime in.

Now it seems that Mike has pretty much abandoned his plan for now, and is simply supporting the free, DIY side of things. But I have no real clue what's happening with people who were already coloring games, after being told they'd be paid for them. Maybe they're still doing it, maybe they stopped, maybe they decided to give them away too. If you're one of those colorists please add to the conversation.

Or Mike, chime in if I have something wrong, I'm obviously not privy to your side of the private business arrangements.

As it is this thread isn't really useful anymore, there are no longer two turnkey products to compare. I've edited the info post already, I read it again just now and it's all still accurate I think. As far as I know right now the only options are the free ones, it will take time to see if anyone ever tries to offer a colored ROM macro for sale.

I resent your implications, which is why I'm having this pointless argument. Everything I've posted in this thread has been a fact. You have yet to point out anything that wasn't true (at the time of posting at least).

All I wanted was for people to have a place to decide which ACDC they wanted to buy. I was hoping for a side by side comparison video even. TPF would have been great, but there were no ACDC SmartDMDs there. From what I hear Metallica was, no idea if it was completely colored or not. Maybe with ColorDMD about to release Metallica we'll see a side by side of that one?

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's simply not true, sorry. Mike announced that he would change things and give them away for free in this very thread. On page 5. This post:

It is true, it was being talked about behind the scenes. but you know everything because you are part of every conversation. His product wasnt even officially announced for sale before you started this thread so no everything wasnt set in stone before you started this thread. he was just doing sneek previews. So yeah the product has changed and evolved. Unlike this thread.

He announced it in this thread to you around page 5. It was know well before. I told you way before(page 1 to be exact), and you refused to believe it.

That is why I have stopped posting here, you asked and now you have an answer.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

It is true, it was being talked about behind the scenes. but you know everything because you are part of every conversation.

See, you're just making this personal. I do feel defensive, because you're attacking me, but it's certainly not personal with me. You're not arguing in good faith, you're just trying to poke at me. You're being blustery and sarcastic, fine, good for you, but you're not linking any posts, or providing any evidence. Just being mad over ... who knows what. That I dared to create a space for people to compare products that compete that they might want to decide to buy?

I have no idea what Mike was privately discussing. He was sure making lots of public announcements. Everything I posted was based on those public announcements. If he was thinking about offering things for free why was he posting prices in his own threads? $50 for a colorized game if you've already bought the display. Posted in his official thread, by him. I'm not psychic, I have no idea how believing that makes me the unreasonable person.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

He announced it in this thread to you around page 5. It was know well before. I told you way before(page 1 to be exact), and you refused to believe it.

How was it "well known"? Was it posted on Pinside? Was it public in some way I was supposed to know? Can you link up the evidence for your claim? I linked Mike's post in this thread, anyone can read what he said. Here, I'll quote it:

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

For starters, I'd like to thank Aurich for starting this thread. Obviously people want to know what the differences are between the two products and see them presented in a fair and unbiased way, so I'm happy he created this platform for an open discussion.
This thread has been very educational for me, providing insight into what SDMD customers really want. Therefore, I've decided to give my personal color files away for free, leaving them 100% open for SDMD users to do whatever they want with them (colors, dots, you name it). Whether you buy a finished hardware kit from me or build your own, my personal color files will be open source - no strings attached.

There it is, on page 5. He credits this very thread for his decision. So sorry, your story makes no sense. And if there's any truth to your claim it was never publicly supported that I saw, and there's no way I could know it, because somehow I'm not part of every conversation, your snark aside. Thank goodness. You can tell me you told me so, but I don't know who you are. So yeah, I went with the person who's running the company's official announcements over Random Guy Who's Mad At Me For No Reason. Shock.

I'm done with this back and forth. You're obviously taking this all personally for some reason. I've never attacked Mike, I've never twisted his words, I've only posted what was public knowledge, and he thanked me for the thread. Frankly I've tried to keep my own opinions out of this thread to be fair. I could say a lot about either product, and make my own arguments for which I prefer. I've declined to do so to try and keep the thread as neutral as I could. Purely because it felt right, there's no Pinside rule about me making my own arguments.

So whatever your issue is you can just deal with it I guess, I'm not interested in continuing to debate with you. The facts have been posted, anyone can read them or research them to see they're true. You haven't posted any, so people can just make up their own minds on whether to believe you or not.

#405 4 years ago

Aurich you're spinning your wheels with this guy. I thought this thread was a good idea, oh well...

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Aurich you're spinning your wheels with this guy. I thought this thread was a good idea, oh well...

I'm done with it, once it was obvious he was just out to get me, and not actually contribute any real information I was over it.

So it goes, you can't please everyone, I'd be a moron to even try.

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm done with it, once it was obvious he was just out to get me, and not actually contribute any real information I was over it.

You really shouldn't let your goat run around loose like that.

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

That is why I have stopped posting here

Really, doesn't look like you have. I hope that statement was more of a self fulfilling prophecy.

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

You really shouldn't let your goat run around loose like that.

Well technically it's not my goat, I'm just renting it from Amazon.

amazon.com link »

amazon-goats.jpg

#410 4 years ago

So to sum up right now

PBM dmd for acdc and met will be DIY (as of now) but cheaper, with free color files and are editable correct? (I'm choosing to ignore all the other stuff and bring the topic back on point)

3 months later
#411 3 years ago

Ok - so I read this thread, looked at Mike's threads on SmartDMD, and then decided what is best for me. ColorDMD definitely has a nice out of the box product and has done an excellent job marketing and selling a turnkey solution. I know lots of people who have gone that direction and are very happy.

For me - I am going with the SmartDMD because its cheaper, looks great, and lets me customize and modify the final look of my machine.

Here's a nice example:

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Ok - so I read this thread, looked at Mike's threads on SmartDMD, and then decided what is best for me. ColorDMD definitely has a nice out of the box product and has done an excellent job marketing and selling a turnkey solution. I know lots of people who have gone that direction and are very happy.
For me - I am going with the SmartDMD because its cheaper, looks great, and lets me customize and modify the final look of my machine.
Here's a nice example:
» YouTube video

He, nice youtube video, wonder who made it

However, Pinterest sums it up very nicely. Exact same motivation over here. Being a DIY guy like me who likes to fiddle and play around SmartDMD was the best solution for me (and being Dutch saving some money helps to ).

And yes, ColorDMD makes a great product to. Have nothing against it. Saw LOTR ColorDMD and wow, nice and the trailer on Shadow : awesome.

#413 3 years ago

Actually I really like most of your color selections. I'll be reaching out to you when I have all my hardware put together!

I actually enjoy working on and playing with the hardware and software as much as playing pinball. Not everyone does and I can also appreciate that. In fact - I have mad respect for Aurich's skills and I am surprised he's not into playing with SmartDMD because with his talent as an artist I am sure he could do some AMAZING things with it.

#414 3 years ago

Looking forward to trying out SmartDMD as soon as all the parts arrive. ( Slow boat from China) I have purchased a couple of ColorDMDs for two other games and I wanted to try something new. PMD's Met colorizing sold me on this...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, MN
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
There are 414 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside