DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
Customized Art.png
Flames - Modified  Art.png
Flames - Origianl Art.png
Angus - Dots.png
Angus Upscaled.png
There are 414 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 9 years ago

Heh, see this is the confusion. I'm going to try and clear it up, someone jump in if I get it wrong.

I think we all understand what ColorDMD is. Complete system, doesn't change your game code, it just intercepts the DMD image stream, and applies color to it (simplistic explanation). You can update it with any of the ColorDMD ROMS at any time, free.

SmartDMD, not PMD, nothing to do with Mike, is a system for building a ColorDMD-like system, that used a computer screen to show dots. People have been building their own from parts off eBay etc for a while, and doing cool things with them. Like applying a 4 color palette to it that replaces the 4 shades of orange from a DMD. Jurassic Park was done with shades of red and yellow for instance, which gives it a sort of pseudo-colorized look.

Mike took that existing idea, and is doing a couple things with it. He's offering pre-built display kits, much like the ones you can build yourself, but with the sourcing and work done for you. You can use them anywhere a SmartDMD works, though I don't know what kinds of brackets are offered.

He's also doing a complete system, which pairs the above "generic" SmartDMD display with a file that patches your game ROM to do colors. Right now that's SAM only, and ACDC is the first one.

Initially he was going to charge for the color file, cheaper as a bundle with the screen, and it was "locked", meaning you couldn't edit the dots themselves, just change one color someone had picked to another.

Now it sounds like Mike is going to offer some of these for free, and "unlocked". It's not clear yet which ones will be free or not, and I presume the ones that aren't free will remain locked, because that's what keeps people from just sharing them. Those are guesses.

So that's where the SmartDMD confusion comes from. If that's even clear at all.

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, see this is the confusion. I'm going to try and clear it up, someone jump in if I get it wrong.

So that's where the SmartDMD confusion comes from. If that's even clear at all.

It's almost like we need a thread dedicated to comparing these things directly and clearing up confusion...

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It's almost like we need a thread dedicated to comparing these things directly and clearing up confusion...

It is more like Aurich needs to stop posting altogether. He posted in other threads with misinformation. I do not think it was intentional, but at this point he has offended one side. There is little to be gained from dealing with him further.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I think you meant to say SmartDMD.
If you think you have a chance at coloring a ColorDMD or SmartDMD you have more than enough skills to run a mac in windows mode.
Who knows maybe it will support mac in the future.

No, I meant ColorDMD. They have a lot of volunteers coloring games for them. I would totally do it if I could easily do it on my Mac. Regardless of my skills, PC's have been a dick to me for way too long. If I haven't figured out how to use them by now, it's over. I'm a Mac guy...they just work, what else can I say.

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It is more like Aurich needs to stop posting altogether. He posted in other threads with misinformation. I do not think it was intentional, but at this point he has offended one side. There is little to be gained from dealing with him further.

Um, what?

How about people who don't like my thread either stop posting in it, or directly name the problematic information? What is it specifically?

I'm getting sick of all you people coming in here and telling me I'm wrong, and attacking me, and not actually spelling it out. You're the ones with agendas as far as I can tell. Go yell at Mike for naming his product SmartDMD if it offends you so much.

So go for it. I'm not going to stop posting in my own thread. If I said something in here that's wrong then please quote it and correct it. If you're right then I'll fix it.

Otherwise just go away, you're not adding anything of positive value to this thread.

#356 9 years ago

It might be a good idea to start a new thread entirely once SmartDMD has shipped some units.
Both products have evolved quite a bit in features, prices, etc. since this thread was started and some of the information throughout is confusing some people.

#357 9 years ago

This thread went a really weird direction and I can't even figure out what happened. We're like two irritated posts from a flood of Jennifer Connely pictures

#358 9 years ago
sexy-redheads-30-e1292983407844_large.jpgsexy-redheads-30-e1292983407844_large.jpg
#360 9 years ago

I prefer the original SMOOOOOOOTHING

#361 9 years ago

Are those XL dots?

#362 9 years ago

Honestly, PMD and Smartdmd folks your not doing mike any favors. Your coming off as douchie. I don't know what your stake is in this, but please, just stop. Instead of personal attacks on people making thread topics why not just take the higher ground and post up something positive for the PMD, I don't get it, mikes system was running high just a few weeks ago, aside from a few concerns (which mike has mostly addressed) this should be a great time to show the product and get some positive vibes. This isn't helping it.

That being said, there was a comment from the colordmd folks as well that felt low too. I'm not sure if there's some falling out between the two camps but the average person doesn't care. They just want a good product that does what it's advertised to do.

Persoanlly I really do hope we can let all the bs drop and just get to looking at what each product does and how enjoyed table they are (free from attacks on members here)

#363 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I prefer the original SMOOOOOOOTHING

Sure that isn't enhanced?

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Are those XL dots?

Actually they are, exact same size and spacing as the new ColorDMD ones.

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

Honestly, PMD and Smartdmd folks your not doing mike any favors.

I hope that is not directed my way as I have kept it Disney clean in this thread or any about the subject. If not no worries. Lets all share in a round of Newcastle!

o-NEWCASTLE-AD-facebook.jpgo-NEWCASTLE-AD-facebook.jpg
#366 9 years ago

Dots did not do the job here. Can I see tile or 8-bit?

#367 9 years ago

My preference is for the clearer, crisper, cleaner, beaver shots on the ladies existing the low rider......

2 weeks later
#368 9 years ago

Did anyone ever get a MikeDmd ?? His thread just died

#369 9 years ago

Yeah, I dunno what happened, he's still posting updates, but it doesn't seem like you can actually order any right now. Supply issues maybe.

I can tell you this: we're not too far off from being able to compare Metallica colorization too.

I already have the ColorDMD installed in my game, I can't wait for this one.

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

we're not too far off from being able to compare Metallica colorization

Awesome! Metallica will be my first (maybe only) colorized game and I'm patiently waiting to make an informed decision.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can tell you this: we're not too far off from being able to compare Metallica colorization too.

That's the second time I've seen you mention this. You know something.

#372 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I dunno what happened, he's still posting updates, but it doesn't seem like you can actually order any right now. Supply issues maybe.

I actually meant This thread not His thread.

Anyhow look forward to Met and if I could get NGG would be stoked those are my two keepers for now.

By the way Herg loving thr LED OCD on my Gofers !

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's the second time I've seen you mention this. You know something.

Quoted from Mando:

I actually meant This thread not His thread.

Oh, ha. Yeah, I don't think Mike shipped them like he was planning, but since he's still updating I guess it's still going to happen. I dunno, it feels like the air came out of the balloon. I was hoping for some head to head comparisons or something, and the ColorDMD is shipping and I've seen no PMD ACDC reports.

#374 9 years ago

Has anyone done a comparison of SmartDMD and DMD Extender?

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you please narrow down "not too far off" a little bit?

I have had a ColorDMD in mine since I bought it at Cax last year. I am ready for some colors.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Metallica colorization

HceI0OB.gifHceI0OB.gif

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh, ha. Yeah, I don't think Mike shipped them like he was planning, but since he's still updating I guess it's still going to happen. I dunno, it feels like the air came out of the balloon. I was hoping for some head to head comparisons or something, and the ColorDMD is shipping and I've seen no PMD ACDC reports.

it's right here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-everything-you-need-to-know

$199 for the kit sans LCD, $299 for plug-and-play

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

it's right here
$199 for the kit sans LCD, $299 for plug-and-play

Right, that thread is what I was referring to when I said he was still updating. But has anyone actually bought one? Are they actually shipping? I've seen no first hand reports yet. Ultimately this thread is about people comparing and making calls, and then hopefully reporting back and keeping the conversation going with first hand reports and experience.

If anyone has a PMD ACDC colored pin let us know!

#379 9 years ago

Yea I saw that thread too, but like Aurich I want to see head to head! I am still holding out hope it can be comparabel to ColorDMD so I can save $100 and customize a bit.

2 weeks later
#380 9 years ago

Mike just updated today with this:

"Unfortunately, due to my increasing work load outside of pinball I will no longer be able to assemble “turnkey” SmartDMD kits. However, I will continue to offer “DIY” kits for folks interested in building their own SmartDMD systems. DIY kits are available for $199 + shipping and include everything minus the LCD screen and driver board."

So it looks like if you're looking to do some roll your own style stuff he's going to get you part of the way there, but he's not competing in the out-of-box experience.

That, combined with the pricing model changing to give away some of the coloring pretty much puts him back into the "generic" SmartDMD camp, for people who are looking for DIY stuff instead of turnkey.

If anyone builds one and installs ACDC please post your impressions and videos here still though, maybe we can still do some kind of head to head comparison for those who are curious.

Metallica too, since the ColorDMD version is dropping shortly, not sure if the SmartDMD one is colored enough to use daily now or not.

#381 9 years ago

So after months of this PMD stuff, no product has ever materialized? We're still on the same SmartDMD DIY kits?

What is the future of all the pricing/distribution of colorized roms/macros?

#382 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone builds one and installs ACDC please post your impressions and videos here still though, maybe we can still do some kind of head to head comparison for those who are curious.

What a joke.

Why would anyone that purchased a SmartDMD post their opinion here? They’d have to be a glutton for punishment. Has it occurred to you that maybe SmartDMD owners simply aren’t interested in arguing with you?

However, I’m inclined to acquiesce to your request. Here are a few videos I found when doing a quick YouTube search:

#383 9 years ago

So after months of this PMD stuff, no product has ever materialized? We're still on the same SmartDMD DIY kits?
What is the future of all the pricing/distribution of colorized roms/macros?

Aurich forgot to include that minor detail in his last post - what a surprise. To answer your question, the Pinball Browser macros for ACDC, MET, Avengers, and POTC are all free.

#384 9 years ago

Uh, ok. Sorry you're too busy to make them, but congrats on whatever it is that's making you busy.

What's wrong with a head to head comparison and asking people for their impressions? Isn't that what we all want to see?

I've freely admitted my Metallica bias. I know the guy who helped pick the colors and he's got a great eye. Other than that what's the issue? This was supposed to be a turnkey comparison thread. If a couple DIY people didn't like it I can't help that.

I guess that's dead now, but after all your work and posts why not at least still try to compare?

#385 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

What a joke.
Why would anyone that purchased a SmartDMD post their opinion here? They’d have to be a glutton for punishment. Has it occurred to you that maybe SmartDMD owners simply aren’t interested in arguing with you?

#386 9 years ago

What's your point?

#387 9 years ago

thats why i stopped posting. Everything i would say he would then say ohh well i will have to check on that. The first post never gets updated, even though he has checked on it and it is true and has been true for a long time. So people get misinformation from the begining.

#388 9 years ago

To answer your question, the Pinball Browser macros for ACDC, MET, Avengers, and POTC are all free.

Cool!

Obviously you don't control all macros that would be passed around for pinball browser, but for the ones you support in the future, are they going to be case-by-case considered for 'locked' distribution, or is it straight up open source from here on out?

#389 9 years ago

Obviously you don't control all macros that would be passed around for pinball browser, but for the ones you support in the future, are they going to be case-by-case considered for 'locked' distribution, or is it straight up open source from here on out?

Its up to the programmer whether they want to share their work or not. Most of the ones i know are open.

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Its up to the programmer whether they want to share their work or not. Most of the ones i know are open.

Yeah, that's for SmartDMD in general, I was referring more towards the specific games Mike was currently and eventually targeting/supporting with PMD (ie - the PMD variants of ACDC, MET, Avengers, and POTC). I was under the impression that there were more in the pipeline that would be released specifically for Mike's PMD. That may not be the case now if we're back to complete open source.

In short - I don't have much desire to hunt down and find different versions of macros floating around nor will I be colorizing my own stuff. I was much more interested in the idea of a consolidated 'vendor' type distribution system.

#391 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

thats why i stopped posting. Everything i would say he would then say ohh well i will have to check on that. The first post never gets updated, even though he has checked on it and it is true and has been true for a long time. So people get misinformation from the begining.

I'm sorry, Mike kept changing what was happening, which is his prerogative, but it became hard to keep up, and I kinda let the thread die since the product didn't seem to be shipping. It's just a thread to try and have a space to compare things without shitting on either company's dedicated threads, it's not a sales page, sorry if I didn't meet your expectations.

I've update the first post. But as I've always said, if something isn't accurate just post it.

You wanted to argue about generic SmartDMD stuff, and this simply wasn't the thread for it at the time, I was trying to compare the solutions for people who weren't looking for DIY, and just wanted plug and play.

Obviously that's pretty moot now, since Mike has transitioned to just providing parts to help you roll your own. Mike, I'm not actually clear on what you get for the $199 now. No LCD and driver board, so what's left? The mounting hardware and cables?

Given that there isn't an out of box showdown to talk about anymore, I relinquish my request to keep this from being about DIY stuff, so feel free to bring up or link things that are relevant.

I don't know the average price for an LCD screen and driver board for instance, so if people can give me some numbers I'll put them in the first post.

#392 9 years ago

In short - I don't have much desire to hunt down and find different versions of macros floating around nor will I be colorizing my own stuff. I was much more interested in the idea of a consolidated 'vendor' type distribution system.

This thread was for people like you. That's all. No agenda against DIY. Was just trying to provide a place to discuss the shit you can just buy, plug in, and be done with.

If you like tinkering and rolling your own thing I totally respect that, was never crapping on it, please keep doing the mad scientist thing, I love it. I've done plenty myself.

But sometimes I just want to pay for something, plug it in, and play pinball. Neither way has to be "right", it's just different approaches. Don't understand why that's generated animosity towards me from a couple people. If I said anything confusing because "SmartDMD" kind of applied to two different things that weren't really the same then I apologize.

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Uh, ok. Sorry you're too busy to make them, but congrats on whatever it is that's making you busy.

Yes, right now I'm extremely busy with my real job, working over 60 hours a week. I'm also dealing with an illness in the family, which doesn't help. Bottom line, pinball is a hobby for me, not an occupation. I simply don't have time to make ANY pinball MODs right now - that simple.

Quoted from Aurich:

What's wrong with a head to head comparison and asking people for their impressions? Isn't that what we all want to see?

There isn't anything wrong with a head-to-head comparison.

I'm just telling you what my customers have told me; they aren't interested in arguing with you. It doesn't matter what anyone says, you've already made up your mind.

#394 9 years ago

For people that are actualy interested in learning about SmartDMD, I suggest you read this thread:

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

You've said this before, completely ignoring the fact that Aurich has, on several occasions stated that any corrections should be pointed out to him and he has updated the original post several times. None if this seems to matter to you.

Mike, sorry to hear about your family illness, dealing with these things can be really hard. As for this thread, it's always been about a head-to-head comparison. If people looking for the SDMD solution didn't want to post their observations, that's fine, but this forum is open for opinions on all sides. Aurich isn't to blame if one side or the other is more represented and he has been very forthright about his one bias. Best wishes to your family and you in your day job and modding. Still looking forward to cool mods. I too would be interested in knowing what the $199 package includes as I might need such a package for a completely custom situation. As for that I haven't quite figured it out from the other thread but I'll keep watching it.

#396 9 years ago

Yes, right now I'm extremely busy with my real job, working over 60 hours a week. I'm also dealing with an illness in the family, which doesn't help. Bottom line, pinball is a hobby for me, not an occupation. I simply don't have time to make ANY pinball MODs right now - that simple.

Sorry to hear that man, I was glad to see you posting your Fathom updates again, I hope you're able to finish that.

I'm just telling you what my customers have told me; they aren't interested in arguing with you. It doesn't matter what anyone says, you've already made up your mind.

Well it doesn't really matter if I've made up my mind or not, the point is that other people can make up their own minds by seeing what's posted. What I put in my personal machines shouldn't make any difference towards what other people do. You've gotta figure out what's important. The products both have their own strengths and only you can decide which ones matter to you personally.

I have my own biases, I'm human, but I haven't been really arguing for one product or another, not with any strong opinions or real arguments at least.

Frankly there are two people who seem to have an issue with what I'm writing, and see the post above, everyone else seems to notice they just complain about some supposed misleading thing I'm saying, but never actually quote it.

If you have an issue please quote it specifically, so we can resolve it. If I'm wrong I'll correct it, and if not I'll try and explain better.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

You've said this before, completely ignoring the fact that Aurich has, on several occasions stated that any corrections should be pointed out to him and he has updated the original post several times. None if this seems to matter to you.

Have you actually read any of my comments? I have stated it multiple times to him in PM and through this thread. He always said well i will have to check on it. Well he checked on it about a month ago and knew it to be true as i stated it, and still hasnt changed it.

EDIT: Going back and looking he has changed a couple things as of three days ago. after what you quoted me for.

Still very misleading about coloring costing $50 Where is that info from? Who has told you they are charging $50 for their roms? It is either they are giving it for free or they are not sharing it at all from what i have seen so far.

But when you quoted my message nothing had been updated for over a month.

Quoted from Aurich:

if something isn't accurate just post it.

Quoted from Aurich:

You can't change the way the dots are colored yourself, but you could decide that you want to make all shades of a certain red a shade of green instead. (Edit: It seems this is changing, and you can edit the dots after all. Stay tuned.) (Edit2: You can edit the dots on "unlocked" games, but still can't if someone chooses to not give it away for free, and keeps it locked.)

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I can change any dot to any color that i want to with pinball browser. after you get the modified rom image you can modify it any way you want.

So thats had an edit but why why have the original misinformation there? Put out the current info for everyone to see. We dont have it posted how ColorDMD first started working and has changed since for example the different options for upscalling and scan lines has not been available the whole time but there are no edits in there with misinformation?

Also whos files are locked? have you seen or heard of one file that is locked or being charged for? I have heard of people not sharing their work and that is their choice which is fine.

It just seems that if Aurich hears something bad for SmartDMD it gets edited in right away and even when it is proven that it is not correct it stays there and just has an edit after it. And when he hears something good for SmartDMD his response is always i will have to check on that even if he knows it to be true. Why dont you check the bad things before making the edit? Seems very one sided.

#398 9 years ago

On my phone so I can't answer in detail, but things you're complaining about, like the $50 color file thing? Straight from Mike. Not my fault you weren't paying attention to his threads like I was. He's changed his pricing and product repeatedly since I started this thread. Sorry if I didn't keep up or it was confusing. But things like the $50 fee were simple facts, straight from the source.

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

On my phone so I can't answer in detail, but things you're complaining about, like the $50 color file thing? Straight from Mike. Not my fault you weren't paying attention to his threads like I was. He's changed his pricing and product repeatedly since I started this thread. Sorry if I didn't keep up or it was confusing. But things like the $50 fee were simple facts, straight from the source.

Yeah the $50 fee really bugged me too to be honest. It seems like ColorDMD is going to do almost every Sam game so that rocks!

#400 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

It just seems that if Aurich hears something bad for SmartDMD it gets edited in right away and even when it is proven that it is not correct it stays there and just has an edit after it. And when he hears something good for SmartDMD his response is always i will have to check on that even if he knows it to be true. Why dont you check the bad things before making the edit? Seems very one sided.

Back home now, so I can quote better.

Here's the deal: you've been annoyed with me about SmartDMD representation from the very beginning, you made that clear. But you've never actually called out facts, and now that you are, I'm sorry, but you're off base.

Part of this is on Mike. Sorry Mike, not trying to play gotcha with you, but you announced things, and I started this thread, and then you kept changing things up. Even in this very thread actually. Which is totally your right! But it's not been easy to keep up with it all, and now you're not actually even doing the whole plan (for now at least) so I've kinda given up a little to be honest. I think what I have in the opening post is accurate, but if I missed something let me know.

Anyways, skipping that confusing changing part, you're acting kinda outraged that I would say extra color files are $50. Or you can't edit the dots. That's because that's what Mike said! Yes, of course you can edit dots with Pinball Browser and a homebrew SmartDmd display, but we weren't talking about people rolling their own, we were talking about the commercial kit. Which was including "locked down" files, that you could not edit. Repeat, couldn't edit them, not like normal. You could change the palettes, but you couldn't edit the dots. And they weren't free, you could get additional ones for $50.

Again, this is all straight from Mike. And I had no problem with any of it. If someone is going to spend hours and hours of their time and want to be paid for it and not give it away, and have locks on it to keep people from just copying it and messing with it? Totally cool by me. Don't like it? Color your own, give it away, whatever. So it wasn't a ding on Mike.

These are facts, not things I made up.

Thing is, in the middle of the thread Mike went "screw that, I'm giving everything away!" And cool, good for him, he's of course free to do that. But it wasn't clear what that meant. He's promised people who were coloring for him a cut of the sales. So were they going to still get paid? It seemed like the deal was some files might be given away, the ones he did himself at least, some might be $50 still, or maybe they'd be "pay what you like". I still don't honestly know.

If you know then speak up. But you didn't know about the $50 charge, or the locked files, so I'm kinda thinking you're not actually sure yourself. I think you're just defending "generic" SmartDMD, which is totally open, totally editable, and a DIY kind of product.

As I've repeatedly said, this thread isn't about that. Roll your own all you like. This was for comparing "out of the box" experiences, where you bought a complete product, plugged it in, and got color. No muss, no fuss.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
16,500 (Firm)
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 414 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorddmd-vs-smartdmd-comparison/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.