Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170830_201708 (resized).jpg
    sb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

I'm just not paying $400 for a $20 monitor and controller

I'm not sure what you think we're using, but please go to ebay and search for "LP156WF1 new" and report back on what prices you find. That's just the screen and you'll find that it alone is around 3.5-5x your quoted price. You'll pay more for one guaranteed for zero stuck pixels which is what we require of our vendors.

Then add to that the cost of a full-custom controller which we developed (and patented), custom cables, custom brackets, custom cut foam and packaging. Add in contract manufacturing, assembly and test, shipping costs and expected losses and you've just covered the cost of goods.

Next take the number of hours you plan to spend on content creation... that's development of the coloring algorithms, tools, and frame-by-frame colorization for your title of choice. Also factor in the value of the library of (currently) 64 color ROMs which can be downloaded for free and changed at any time.

Unfortunately, the costs are quite a bit higher than what you've accounted.

Regarding newer displays, there is a new generation of laptop displays that are a bit more expensive as is the cost of driving them since it needs to be sent using displayport instead of LVDS. The main problem, however isn't the cost. In order to create super-thin screens, the electronics were moved from the rear of the panel to the edge, making the display taller than the generation we continue to use. The taller display won't fit a WPC95 backbox.

We're happy we have the displays we have... there aren't a lot of choices. The previous generation is out of production and we buy up stock whenever we can find it but it's extremely limited.

Regarding your previous comments on LED technology, it's not what's cheapest. It's the only tech available in the form factor (2mm LEDs) we need for pinball. The ghosting has been fixed on the new panels but the lack of diffusion is still there and the LEDs are arranged in a red, green, blue column which gives rise to the separation between red and blue. Hopefully this will improve in the future, and when it does, we'll do our best to incorporate it.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from ufiti:

Can anyone confirm if there are any issues with installing the LCD in a WPC-95 (Congo)? I had heard it is sometimes difficult because it is larger?

There's no problem installing an LCD in Congo. It fits all all WPC-95 games except Safecracker.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

my only rub with the colordmd guys is that they charge over $32 bucks to ship......so on top of the BS California tax we have to pay ridiculous shipping costs....it costs about $488 to get one delivered in California....

Shipping USPS Priority insured is only $16.38. The only added cost for California is the 7.75% state sales tax.

LCD is $446.38 shipped to Pleasanton ($42 less than what you quoted)
    LED is $413.98 shipped to Pleasanton ($74 less than what you quoted)

I checked the site and looks like it's being billed correctly. If you're seeing different prices, please send me a PM and we'll investigate.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Of course if I wanted to change it to color, it would cost almost $470 to have one shipped to my home, plus about another $130 for a piece of shit replacement repro speaker panel from classic arcades with a clear window or hack the original, so $600 for a color display system that won't make it play any better or $250-$300 that will help my gameplay.

Invisiglass and ColorDMD are not mutually exclusive. No problem to like one without trying to bring down the other. But the price comparison you presented isn't correct (at least based on retail prices).

ColorDMD LED shipped to CA is $413.98. BSD is the only game that requires a repro plastic, but even if you want to include that cost, it's only $99 shipped. Total is $513... not $600. Invisglass shipped to CA is $346 ($295 + $51 shipping)... not $250-$300.

The actual delta is $167... not the $300-$350 that your post implies. The delta is only $68 when doing the comparison for any other game besides BSD, and only $39 if you're outside CA and not paying CA sales tax.

If you're talking about sale prices, you should take into consideration that discounts are available through ColorDMD for volume purchases or when exhibiting a display at a show.

We're thankful to Classic-Arcades for producing the BSD repro plastic with clear window for those that want it. For a long time, the original factory plastic with red screened window was a showstopper.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not putting down the product as I have purchased several colorDMDs in the past. I just said it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade BSD at that price and when I bought my invisiglass it was on sale. And again the Ca sales tax was not mentioned which adds about another $40.
    Does colorDMD ever offer pinside discounts or have sales when ordering off the website?

The price I quoted was for LED and includes the sales tax ($369 + $16.38 + $28.60). The website will automatically apply free shipping on orders of three or more displays.

Other discounts are usually not advertised. We generally offer discounts in conjunction with show organizers if you're bringing a game to a show and exhibit a ColorDMD. Reduced pricing may also be available for large orders.

#101 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

If thats the case your site isn't correct...I added the $399 dmd, estimated shipping costs ($33.07 USPS Priority), and tax....
    Cart Items Qty Item Price Item Total
    Subtotal: $423.00
    Estimate Shipping & Tax
    Shipping (USPS Priority Mail): $33.07
    CA Sales Tax: $32.78
    Grand Total: $488.85
    ColorDMD Replacement Display for AC/DC Pinball Machine
    Installation Kit: Add Shield/Standoffs for Metal Speaker Panels +$24
    Change

Thanks for reporting this! The issue has been fixed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-worth-the-price-or-no?tu=dmod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.