Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170830_201708 (resized).jpg
    sb (resized).jpg
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I have so far purchased 3 color DMD's from Randy at ColorDMD.com and while it does cost me quite a bit for that bling on the machine I still think it's worth it.

I just purchased one for my Stern Batman Dark Knight and installed it last night. Mind you I am on second shift now and I have to do most of my work after 11PM EDT. I installed it and powered it up and it came to life! I adjusted teh settings and then loaded the firmware and the DMD went completely dark and would not recover. I attempted to reload the firmware and followed the troubleshooting guides online. My last resort was to email Randy at 1:30AM and went to sleep.

I got up the next morning and had an email from Randy roughly 10AM(most likely while he was making coffee). He asked a few questions and sent me new drivers to load. This brought it back to life and it looks great.

Moral of the story is, you are not buying just the product, you are also buying the great service as well.

What do you all think?

#2 6 years ago

Hands down, the best mod you can do to any game.

#3 6 years ago

Best mod, changes the game for me. So much so that I have bought 17 of them over the last 3 years.

#4 6 years ago

No brainer...by far the best mod in ANY game....

#5 6 years ago

Yes.

If you need a new DMD. Definitely yes.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

I really like Color DMD, but at $400 each, I have a hard time buying them. At $300, I'd probably have a bunch more. Maybe bulk pricing at some point would be nice.

#7 6 years ago

Not worth the price currently, but things are fixable on their end. The LCD panel they use is based on old technology. Expect weak blacks and color performance as well as poor response. The LEDs have ghosting issues. There is no diffuser on the pixels so the color isn't mixed at all so you see the tiny dot pitch. Think instead of purple you see a blue and red dot. I'm sure they spent plenty of money getting things up and running, but they went with the absolute cheapest display options and it shows. It shows too much for me to outfit any more of my games with them until they make some improvements.

#8 6 years ago

Slam dunk yes.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

Not worth the price currently, but things are fixable on their end. The LCD panel they use is based on old technology. Expect weak blacks and color performance as well as poor response. The LEDs have ghosting issues. There is no diffuser on the pixels so the color isn't mixed at all so you see the tiny dot pitch. Think instead of purple you see a blue and red dot. I'm sure they spent plenty of money getting things up and running, but they went with the absolute cheapest display options and it shows. It shows too much for me to outfit any more of my games with them until they make some improvements.

Its like your expecting a 4K OLED screen. I really notice the black levels are weak on my ColorDMD especially on night time exteriors and characters in black clothing

#10 6 years ago

One of the best mods but if you have more then 3 games you want to put them on it gets REALLY expensive. That and my other games that aren't colored yet (Mustang and ST) keep me from buying more.

#11 6 years ago

I won't own a DMD game without one anymore. I think they may need to upgrade their product at some point though. The larger display on AFMR is definitely more impressive.

#12 6 years ago

I've had a few, but between shipping costs and Ca. sales tax it is no longer worth it to me.

You don't play the DMD. Invisiglass is a more worthy investment IMO.

#13 6 years ago

Yes!! Definitely worth it!

Phoebe

#14 6 years ago

It's great, and they do great work, but it's expensive. But it is worth it.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Best mod, changes the game for me. So much so that I have bought 17 of them over the last 3 years.

6K plus.

#16 6 years ago

First one I bought was for Metallica Pro and holy crap did it make it much better. Then I got an LED for my BSD and I thought it was ok but I prefer the LCD hands down.

#17 6 years ago

Yup and worth every penny!

#18 6 years ago

I buy 1 per year

#19 6 years ago

I put ColorDMD in every game I have that supports it. Best upgrade ever.

#20 6 years ago

worth it for 'special' games expensive to have on all games

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

worth it for 'special' games expensive to have on all games

Define "special"

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've had a few, but between shipping costs and Ca. sales tax it is no longer worth it to me.
    You don't play the DMD. Invisiglass is a more worthy investment IMO.

Huh? Seriously? A $250 piece of glass? I bought some new glass for $40 and a bottle of windex and everybody that came up to play the game at a show thought it was invisiglass, lol.

Most titles are worth it to upgrade, not all. WPT wasn't anything special, but some of them like MET and TWD are just spectacular.

#23 6 years ago

With my bad eyes I have contemplated the invisiglass but I'm still not sold on it.

#24 6 years ago

Color dmd , pdi/invisaglass , powered subwoofer and leds are a must on every game in my house.

#25 6 years ago

Amazing work and product, but ultimately not worth it. $400 is a lot of money for low rez color. Buy a PS4 with 4-5 AAA games instead. Waaaaaay more value.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Color dmd , pdi/invisaglass , powered subwoofer and leds are a must on every game in my house.

could not agree more....I have color/invisiglass on all my pins...although for whatever reason the sheet of PDI that I got isn't as good as the invisiglass...I bought one of each to compare....ended up with settling in on invisiglass for the balance of the machines

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

could not agree more....I have color/invisiglass on all my pins...although for whatever reason the sheet of PDI that I got isn't as good as the invisiglass...I bought one of each to compare....ended up with settling in on invisiglass for the balance of the machines

Yea i dont see much difference between the the 2

#28 6 years ago

Yes Yes and Yes! We have fitted to 2 of our machines so far. It was my birthday the other day and guess what? Another color LCD dmd as a birthday present. They are worth every cent. We love them. Only problem is you keep looking at the color dmd and lose the ball! That is how good the animations are. Great product and well done.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Its like your expecting a 4K OLED screen. I really notice the black levels are weak on my ColorDMD especially on night time exteriors and characters in black clothing

Nah no 4k or OLED necessary. Just a decent display that even comes on the most basic tablets and laptops.

The new AFMr gets it right. And I'm not talking about the size. It has a 'modern' looking display in terms of the black level and color reproduction. And the pixel response times are great. I'm just not paying $400 for a $20 monitor and controller to run it again when I know they can and should be better for barely any more cost on their end. They are the only ones doing it, so bless all of you that are happy with their product. I'm sure they will come out with some new options at some point.

#30 6 years ago

Color DMD was the best mod for my LOTR hands down.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

I'm just not paying $400 for a $20 monitor and controller

I'm not sure what you think we're using, but please go to ebay and search for "LP156WF1 new" and report back on what prices you find. That's just the screen and you'll find that it alone is around 3.5-5x your quoted price. You'll pay more for one guaranteed for zero stuck pixels which is what we require of our vendors.

Then add to that the cost of a full-custom controller which we developed (and patented), custom cables, custom brackets, custom cut foam and packaging. Add in contract manufacturing, assembly and test, shipping costs and expected losses and you've just covered the cost of goods.

Next take the number of hours you plan to spend on content creation... that's development of the coloring algorithms, tools, and frame-by-frame colorization for your title of choice. Also factor in the value of the library of (currently) 64 color ROMs which can be downloaded for free and changed at any time.

Unfortunately, the costs are quite a bit higher than what you've accounted.

Regarding newer displays, there is a new generation of laptop displays that are a bit more expensive as is the cost of driving them since it needs to be sent using displayport instead of LVDS. The main problem, however isn't the cost. In order to create super-thin screens, the electronics were moved from the rear of the panel to the edge, making the display taller than the generation we continue to use. The taller display won't fit a WPC95 backbox.

We're happy we have the displays we have... there aren't a lot of choices. The previous generation is out of production and we buy up stock whenever we can find it but it's extremely limited.

Regarding your previous comments on LED technology, it's not what's cheapest. It's the only tech available in the form factor (2mm LEDs) we need for pinball. The ghosting has been fixed on the new panels but the lack of diffusion is still there and the LEDs are arranged in a red, green, blue column which gives rise to the separation between red and blue. Hopefully this will improve in the future, and when it does, we'll do our best to incorporate it.

#32 6 years ago

Two big thumbs up here for ColorDMD. My TZ and FG thank me every day.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

...again when I know they can and should be better for barely any more cost on their end. ...

"No, no, no, no, no. You insulted him a little bit. You got a little bit out of order yourself...."

sb (resized).jpgsb (resized).jpg

EDIT: in memoriam

#34 6 years ago

I know that the displays were high quality but now I have even more respect for the product. Thanks Randy!

#35 6 years ago

It's a cool, but expensive, mod. I like them for sure, but unless I buy a game with it already installed I think I'm done. I bought one for Shadow and swapped it into my Metallica and I had one included with the Judge Dredd I bought a while back. I had a bunch of family and friends spend each weekend in August at our house and my games got played a ton. Not one person mentioned anything about Metallica being in color and the other pins not. The colordmd is just something pinheads will notice, no one else cares.

Except whomever releases a colored Baywatch first - that one I will buy because it's my wife's "keeper" game and she wants it. The other guy's color screen for Baywatch looks fantastic and I'm keeping an eye on when that one is finished to buy.

#36 6 years ago

YES!!!!!
    BUY IT!!!
    Only problem is if you are slightly OCD like me its going to cost you a lot to do them all.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I really like Color DMD, but at $400 each, I have a hard time buying them. At $300, I'd probably have a bunch more. Maybe bulk pricing at some point would be nice.

If the cost was $300 then it would be 'but at $300 each I would have a hard time buying, but at $200 I would have a bunch more'

The product rocks and the support for them is top notch. Worth the price. I have 27 displays and need to order a couple more for the newly supported games.

#38 6 years ago

Ok. So it's a (whatever the cost) monitor. It is still a poor performer. Of course I'm not discounting the fact you have $$$ tied into developing the controller and such. The main point of my post is this is one of those products that is really close to deserving the asking price. Just wish it had a display that looked good is all and exhibited performance of even an average display of 5 years ago.

#39 6 years ago

Color DMD is a fantastic product. Excellent customer support and very dependable company. Worth every penny. The only problem I have with them is they do not support Ghostbusters. YET

#40 6 years ago

Yes. A must!!! Also invisi glass!!!

#41 6 years ago

Also Pinsound and Flipper Fidelity. Also...

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

Ok. So it's a (whatever the cost) monitor. It is still a poor performer. Of course I'm not discounting the fact you have $$$ tied into developing the controller and such. The main point of my post is this is one of those products that is really close to deserving the asking price. Just wish it had a display that looked good is all and exhibited performance of even an average display of 5 years ago.

Yeah, and the software writes itself!

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Huh? Seriously? A $250 piece of glass? I bought some new glass for $40 and a bottle of windex and everybody that came up to play the game at a show thought it was invisiglass, lol.
    Most titles are worth it to upgrade, not all. WPT wasn't anything special, but some of them like MET and TWD are just spectacular.

Its $300....and its worth every penny

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

It's a pinball machine, not a 90" 4k tv.

#45 6 years ago

Absolutely 100% yes. It gives a modern look to the old games we have loved for years. If you sell a game, you can always move it to another. IMO the best pinball mod in the business.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Its $300....and its worth every penny

Because before Invisiglass was invented pinball was absolutely horrible to play. My eyes! No it isn't. An $8 glareguard, and good lighting along with clean normal glass it worth it because for 5 sheets of IG I could have an entire other machine (or 2).

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Because before Invisiglass was invented pinball was absolutely horrible to play. My eyes! No it isn't. An $8 glareguard, and good lighting along with clean normal glass it worth it because for 5 sheets of IG I could have an entire other machine (or 2).

Nobody is saying that the standard glass is horrible. All I am saying is the Invisiglass is a BIG improvement. You should really try one for a while so u can appreciate the difference. It really is night and day!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Nobody is saying that the standard glass is horrible. All I am saying is the Invisiglass is a BIG improvement. You should really try one for a while so u can appreciate the difference. It really is night and day!

Tried it, own it, not great in every condition of lighting. Color DMD is.

Just stating my opinion... not saying which is better

#49 6 years ago

WoW....
    Very insulting. Who are we to say how much someone should charge for a product. Shame! There are material costs yes but what about R&D --- Research and development ---- This is expensive. How much are you worth? How much money did it cost to make the idea work? No one knows.. Nor should they. Color DMD is a great product... Hands down. Would I like to see them cheaper? Sure why not.. Do I think it is priced right? Yes... Color DMD Thank you for making a great product. I own around 40 Color DMD units and we are in process of buying more. Ghostbusters hint. hint.

#50 6 years ago

considering the small market segment I think $400 is cheap considering what u get....

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-worth-the-price-or-no?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.