Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rockytop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Buy a color DMD?”

• Yes 179 votes
      77%
    • No 53 votes
      23%

(232 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Thinking about getting the color dmd for Lotr.

The best "mod" for a pinball machine would be Stern catching up with everybody else and putting an LCD in the pin

Going from Pong to Intellivision games was very cool, but I'd say PS4 is much better!

#52 9 years ago

Edit: ToM color DMD sold. Thanks guys.

#53 9 years ago

I'll probably break my own rules here and pickup one for LOTR. There is so much detail in the animations for this one, that I feel the bang for buck is not too bad. Besides, LOTR is a never leaving game, so it's not too bad an investment.

#54 9 years ago

I have one in my STTNG and it's really cool but I don't think I would buy any more due to the high price tag. Also, the black levels of the LCD aren't that great. It's more of a dark grey vs. black. I know that's a common drawback to LCD's and not the ColorDMD guy's fault but it's bothersome to me. If they were to find a way to improve the black levels and get the price under $299 I would buy them for my other machines, but otherwise I'm content just to keep using my old school orange DMD display's.

#55 9 years ago

I think the worst color dmd is taf because it doesn't have many animations .....

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

I think the worst color dmd is taf because it doesn't have many animations .....

Not many animations in color > orange. Glad I put the color dmd in my TAF.

#57 9 years ago

Bought another one today. Score!

#58 9 years ago

Speaking of worth the money...................they are accepting orders now and free shipping if you buy three. GO!!!!!!

#59 9 years ago

Ordered my LOTR ColorDMD today! My precious.......

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

More with the gold rom.I held off on getting one for Taf and didn't much like the gold rom.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

More with the gold rom.I held off on getting one for Taf and didn't much like the gold rom.

Completely agree.....love mine.....

#62 9 years ago

I cringe every time I pay for one, then when it arrives and I install it, I think "Awesome! What took me so long to buy this?"

Have them installed in 4 pins right now, my IJ is the only one waiting for one (and cryin'!).

1 year later
    #63 8 years ago

Finally have enough money to buy a color DMD---but see on the website they don't have a single one in stock. I hope I didn't miss my chance.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Finally have enough money to buy a color DMD---but see on the website they don't have a single one in stock. I hope I didn't miss my chance.

More in production now - will be ready in a few weeks. Join the mailing list to get notified when orders are opened up!

#65 8 years ago

Same for me , i had the money now

#66 8 years ago

LOTR is night and day. I've had my game since 2004 and the day I installed my color DMD I noticed animations I had never noticed before.

LOTR and Metallica are for sure buys IMHO.

#67 8 years ago

NO totally not worth it, I do not recommend that you get started w color dmd's.

They are like frickin' potato chips, can't just have one......

Unless of course, you happen to like potato chips!

#68 8 years ago

"Depends on the game".

Original DMD SS, not really.
    New Modern SS, sometimes, they do accent the games factory designed with LEDs in mind, very well, if the dot animations were solid.

What collectors do not take into consideration are THREE factors:

1) This does not automatically make the game "worth more" when it gets flipped when an owner gets "bored", runs out of money, or wants a new toy

2) "X" game in a collection still needs to be in good repair even to use this low voltage display, especially when an owner installs a ridiculous amount of mods using the same +12V line. A lot of new collectors have learned this way too late, and do not understand what happened to their PCB voltage lines, or were careless in installations.

3) Replacing an ENTIRE collection of games with LCDs continues to be prohibitively expensive right now, until future modern games incorporate this feature and technology costs continue to decrease. A few games (<10) is not really a huge issue, 50 is another story altogether. More than 100? That is just out of the universe. Most collectors would rather have more games.
    50 Color DMD installed games = $20k = an average of anywhere between 5-10+ DMD machines in good repair = 40+ EMs/early SS.

Games are like potato chips, not Color DMDs.
    Most people do not stare at the screen while they play.
    "To each their own" if they do.

#69 8 years ago

What's kinda funny, a dmd blew up on me (chip did) and I needed a new one for my Judge Dredd (wayyy before they colorized it).
    So I got a colorDMD and set it to white and man the animation is more crisp and smooth.
    I'm sick of orange haha and plasma dmds are around 200$ now!

#70 8 years ago

Must admit that I do really like color displays but also like to fiddle. So went the DiY route for acdc and Met which saves approx 50%. For my GnR I went the colordmd route and it is awesome. It is a true plug and play solution

Is it worth almost usd 500 over here in Europe? For me yes but for each his own

#71 8 years ago

No, it's not worth it. At least not here in Europe for almost EUR 500. I would be interested for 250 - 300. But it seems to be normal to sell pinball parts with 500 percent mark up...

#72 8 years ago

Sure. At least buy one to keep in your marquee game like AFM. Most mods are stupid but this does it perfectly - enhances and improves while keeping the original feel.

You can always sell your regular DMD for $100.

And people, it's $100 for a used DMD with no flaws. Stop trying to get $150 for them, that's ridiculous.

#73 8 years ago

I think it really depends on the game. XMEN for example looks incredible with a ColorDMD, especially in the high res mode.

#74 8 years ago

I really love mine. It's hard to look at orange dots when you're used to color.

#75 8 years ago

I think it's the best mod...with the exception of putting LED's in an older pin. I have 6 of them and plan on getting others in time. I think it really updates the overall look of a game and makes the information being displayed much easier to take in. You can probably turn around and sell the DMD too, which helps offset some of the cost.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-worth-the-money/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.