Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rockytop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Buy a color DMD?”

• Yes 179 votes
      77%
    • No 53 votes
      23%

(232 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago
    #2 9 years ago

Hell no it isn't.

But I own one, and am planning on buying two more... so....

#3 9 years ago

I have 5, so I vote no also

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

I'm thinking about color DMD's for some of my pins. Are they worth the $400? Do they add much to the game playing experience?

As long as the DMD you're replacing is nice you can sell it pretty easily for $100-125 so really you're only spending $300… in the world of pinball machines $300 is cheap so yes its worth it!

#5 9 years ago

I like how it has enhanced my Doctor Who, I like it. I paid even more to have it delivered to Aus......... and was lucky to have my friend Toads adjust and install for me (not just a unpack and click it in place job) If I was going to complain about the cost, I would not have bought it.

#6 9 years ago

The color DMD for IJ looks spectacular, a must have for Indy owners.

I was running one in my LOTR with sigma and that too looked really good. Unfortunately I recently sold it, so I reinstalled the original DMD. Wow, even after playing with the sigma, the regular DMD looked like crap.

For me, colorized or sigma, it just adds another dimension of enjoyment.

My answer is yes, worth it.

Psssssst, hey colordmd, please bring the color treatment to RBION

#7 9 years ago

It makes sense if you are in the states. I think the majority of International buyers would rather have a 25% deposit on another pin. ex. $400US = $460 + $50 shipping + customs = $580 CDN.

I find them really cool. But too rich for my blood for just color. 1 color DMD is fine by me

#8 9 years ago

Yes, in some cases considering that ALL old DMDs will Gas out, etc... someday,
    when a game is going out, getting one for a game and using gasser as a back up is good.
    My Doctor Who shall most likely get one next!

#9 9 years ago

If you like it, buy it. Its cosmetic only. I have heard no reports of any women getting friskier when one is installed.

Now ladies, it is a distinct possibility the opposite is true for men.

#10 9 years ago

It's only money! I own 2 and would buy a third.

#11 9 years ago

To me personally, no. I can do a pretty sweet (customizable) color build for under $250...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

#12 9 years ago

I've owned 2 and sold them with the games I bought them for. They definitely work and look awesome and add to the resale value of the game. Also, if someone is looking for a game and they have two choices, one with and one without, they will take the one with (that happened to me).

#13 9 years ago

I am about to buy one for my TAVLE. Gonna put it on blue.

Would love to know how to code these things so I can try to colorize it for my Avengers. I doubt it's high on their list. TSPP is prob next.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I am about to buy one for my TAVLE. Gonna put it on blue.
    Would love to know how to code these things so I can try to colorize it for my Avengers. I doubt it's high on their list. TSPP is prob next.

I think they should give everyone the possibility to make their own color roms or modify the ones that allready exist. They would sell many more Color DMD's in my opinion. Even if there are specific problems with some games, there's always a workaround. Make it community work... I'd be glad to help.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Endprodukt:

I think they should give everyone the possibility to make their own color roms or modify the ones that allready exist. They would sell many more Color DMD's in my opinion. Even if there are specific problems with some games, there's always a workaround. Make it community work... I'd be glad to help.

Agreed. Its what has held me back from buying one. If I don't like how they chose the colorization (Green ring for LOTR?), I don't have the option to change it. The irony is that, judging by the community-created mods, there are some really talented people out there and the likelihood is some folks would come up with some awesome schemes that we could choose from.

#16 9 years ago

Wow. I'm ignorant in these ways. I assumed I could colorize my ColorDMD. So users don't have that option?

#17 9 years ago

To me it's a no-brainer. Sure, $400 isn't cheap, but as someone said you can sell your existing DMD for $100-$150 if it's in good shape. So that helps offset the costs.

They are well made and well documented so they are very easy to install. Plug and play and go. Other than revamping the whole backbox to put in an LCD a-la WOZ or Hobbit, it really helps update the look of the game to modern times.

Jaz

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Wow. I'm ignorant in these ways. I assumed I could colorize my ColorDMD. So users don't have that option?

Smart DMD and DMD Extender are the only customizable options at this point in time.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

If you contact them and do not mind spending possibly hundreds of hours working on it, they have offered the software that make the colorozing possible (I assume they must assess the level of commitment you have on the project before sending it).

In terms of the value, I honestly just had the choice of buying upgraded speakers/sub and a shaker motor for my new SM, vs the color display for LoTR.

I chose the SM upgrades since I can feel/hear them during gameplay. Color DMD's are still awesome though. SM is also a newer game in my collection, so I am playing it more.

I can see upgrading the LOTR display "soonish".

#20 9 years ago

Yes, they are worth it. When I put one in my AFM I was blown away by the detail I was seeing and all the small things that I never even noticed when it was all orange. I love how they colored the 3 missiles on the truck to look like Bomb Pops!

I'll be purchasing my second ColorDMD for LOTR when they become available.

#21 9 years ago

I just got a DM as my first pin and see they sell a color DMD for it. I was thinking of buying one, but wasn't sure if it was worth it or now. Unfortunately, I can't find a video of one in action to see how it looks.

Good thread.

#22 9 years ago

I have two right now in MM and AFM but probably won't get any more. I've thought about removing and going back to plasma, but I think I'll keep them in those games. MB was another I wanted to get...maybe someday.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

To me personally, no. I can do a pretty sweet (customizable) color build for under $250...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd/page/4#post-1509520

I agree with crash I loved the results from the dmd extended build. I well still be getting a color dmd for my ft since they are pretty kool and I got try out at least one. But I do think there kinda high priced for what you get.

#24 9 years ago

A huge "YES" for an answer ....

#25 9 years ago

I'd buy more if I had more games that supported it. Right now all I have in color is Scared Stiff, but it's so nice that I can't imagine wanting to go back to orange. Makes the whole game feel better.

To me it's the perfect blend of the old school, retro dots, it still feels period authentic, along with color that brings out all the wonderful details the artists put into the animations. I'm constantly discovering new things I didn't realize were even in the DMD drawings because the orange obscured them.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

If you contact them and do not mind spending possibly hundreds of hours working on it, they have offered the software that make the colorozing possible (I assume they must assess the level of commitment you have on the project before sending it).
    In terms of the value, I honestly just had the choice of buying upgraded speakers/sub and a shaker motor for my new SM, vs the color display for LoTR.
    I chose the SM upgrades since I can feel/hear them during gameplay. Color DMD's are still awesome though. SM is also a newer game in my collection, so I am playing it more.
    I can see upgrading the LOTR display "soonish".

I offered to do it for T2, even sent in some samples, got a short answer that they'll contact me and nothing happened since then. Since they don't make a difference between different pinball machines that take more or less time to colorize (IJ will take much more time than FT or TAF), they don't earn on the roms at all. So why not offer the software to make roms to the public?

Btw... it takes around 100 hours to complete a game. And yes... some pins need special attention and could make problems that the Color DMD team has to fix in the software itself... but that shouldn't stop them from making it (the software) available to everyone (or those who own a Color DMD if you want).

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I am going this route for BF it just looks great with the colors.

I have a Color DMD for my TAF I really enjoy it on TAF. So I think they are both worth it.
    Since they allow you to move it to different games really adds value and they do a good coloring the games.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I just got a DM as my first pin and see they sell a color DMD for it. I was thinking of buying one, but wasn't sure if it was worth it or now. Unfortunately, I can't find a video of one in action to see how it looks.
    Good thread.

Demo Man? If that's what you're talking about, that's not colorized yet. You can get the display and use it in sigma mode which lets you change the color (single solid color). It will also support smoothing and other styles that sigma implements. But, a colorized multi-color implementation is not there yet.

Jaz

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Demo Man? If that's what you're talking about, that's not colorized yet. You can get the display and use it in sigma mode which lets you change the color (single solid color). It will also support smoothing and other styles that sigma implements. But, a colorized multi-color implementation is not there yet.
    Jaz

Oh, that sucks. I saw they had an installation guide on their website, so I assumed they sold a screen for it. I suspect they won't bother making it now, since it's an older game.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

As long as the DMD you're replacing is nice you can sell it pretty easily for $100-125 so really you're only spending $300… in the world of pinball machines $300 is cheap so yes its worth it!

Agree w teekee....I guess worth is what someone is willing to pay.....pretty good bang for the buck, completely changes the look of the game in a positive way, imo.....mark

#31 9 years ago

I love having one in my STTNG.

To me, some of the games look better than color than others. There are a couple of games where I didn't think it made as much of a difference. The longer expected life is a plus, too. I picked mine up only after the DMD I had started to outgas a little.

#32 9 years ago

If it will make Judge Dredd an $1800 game, then yes!

#33 9 years ago

Is that just a wild guess? I'm hoping you're right.

#34 9 years ago

Just a guess. I figured it would be LOTR and TSPP. Follow the money

#35 9 years ago

I find that Color DMD is just like PDI. Once you get one.....one isn't enough!

#36 9 years ago

They cost too much money - don't buy one. And interesting that when games are turned off the ColorDMD screen looks black while the amber dot screen looks gray, but while on the amber dot background looks much darker than the ColorDMD background.

I have six now. Figure they'll do the difficult-to-colorize TZ someday and if so I will add that one. That would, however, make my WHOdunnit feel bad (as my only B/W game then without a ColorDMD).

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

That would, however, make my WHOdunnit feel bad (as my only B/W game then without a ColorDMD).

Throw in a sigma and go black and white, give it a real "film noir" look!

#39 9 years ago

Probably the single coolest mod for games. Expensive, yes... but I can't help to buy one for every game I own... DAMN YOU RANDY AT COLORDMD !

Great product, great people behind it, the colors and animations keep getting better and better with each title as well !

Joe

#40 9 years ago

I think there awesome but so is the dr pinball dmd extender that allows you make a color dmd too.

#41 9 years ago

Maybe on games with a lot of stop and go cool animations.

#42 9 years ago

Expensive... yes. Awesome.... hell yeah. I own 3 and would never go back to "orange" again.

#43 9 years ago

Yes,it's worth it to me.Its a big enhancement to the over all game.Could not go back to orange.

Ordered AFM on release date,then Wh02 on release date and TOTAN on release date.

Would like one for TZ.I could enjoy the black/white now and change it to color when released.

But,cost and shipping to Aus is about $540 at the moment.

#44 9 years ago

I will be getting one for my LotR as soon as they are ready and yes they are worth it.

Joe(acejedi)

#45 9 years ago

Yes. Expensive, but easily the best general mod available for games (along with shakers).

#46 9 years ago

Best mod ever,
    Once you have one you will say why did I wait so long.

#47 9 years ago

Thank God ColorDMD doesn't support every game I own. I'd be broke.

#48 9 years ago

ColorDMDs are well worth it!! I have 5 (AFM in color, Congo, SM, Met, and CSI all Sigma. Working on 1 for Popeye as soon as I talk Hubby into it!) Can't have a game in a lineup with other ColorDMDs and still have orange dots in it...not a fan of orange to start with, but once you have 1 you have to get them all!!

Phoebe

#49 9 years ago

I agree, once you get the first one you get hooked.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Just a guess. I figured it would be LOTR and TSPP. Follow the money

Too funny, I'm colorizing mine as we speak.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-worth-the-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.