(Topic ID: 73917)

Color dmd wont download firmware ............

By slow1000rider03

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dendoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Anyone have this issue yet. Got my DMD in today(early surprise Xmas present from the wife) , easy install, Sigma working nicely, but I cant get the firmware to download. Anyone else have this issue that can tell me what I did wrong.
    1. downloaded the firmware.
    2. inserted the flashdrive
    3. held down button on the left side.
    4. IT IS SUPPOSED TO FLASH 5 TIMES AND STAY LIT. BUT MINE WILL ONLY FLASH 4 TIMES, GO OFF, THEN REPEAT.

#2 10 years ago

Try re-saving it onto your flash drive. Also, I believe the file name has to be exactly as it is typed in the directions for it to work. Shoot Randy an email...he is quick to respond and very helpful.

#3 10 years ago

sent a email earlier, but im just excited and very impatient. I deleted everything from my flash drive, reinstalled, still not working. I read it had to be a certain flash drive. mine says 8gb but I don't have any further info. Maybe I need a better one?

#4 10 years ago

Slow sounds like its having trouble reading your flash drive. Make sure it's formatted correctly, I believe it's suppose to be FAT from what I remember. And I thought they recommended a 8GB drive. All that's on the FAQ on colorDMD site you might check that out again.

Edit: just double checked it's FAT32 and 8GB. You might try a different stick. I had to do that on my first install.

#5 10 years ago

small is better for some reason. I think he says 8 or smaller. I have used a 1g flash for all 4 of my colordmds. I just put my SS in about 3 days ago. Had the same problem at first, but I just re-saved it and figured I must have screwed something up the 1st time.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mantra:

Slow sounds like its having trouble reading your flash drive. Make sure it's formatted correctly, I believe it's suppose to be FAT from what I remember. And I thought they recommended a 8GB drive. All that's on the FAQ on colorDMD site you might check that out again.
    Edit: just double checked it's FAT32 and 8GB. You might try a different stick. I had to do that on my first install.

It was definitely the flash drive not being formatted correctly. I ran up to Staples and bought a $5 dollar 8gb Scan disk flash drive and boom 30 seconds later I am in full color. Thank you for the help and gotta run as I need to go kiss my wife for the cool present!

#7 10 years ago

awesome!

#8 10 years ago

You probably had it right the first time. The Color DMD *WAS* pretty picky when it comes to flash drives. I had to try 3 different ones before it would flash. Love it on my WH20!

#9 10 years ago

Glad you got it working!

Earlier this year, we updated the USB driver code that ships with all new displays and, since then, we haven't seen many issues with USB drives.

A repeating four flashes usually indicates that the drive is not formatted as FAT32. You can check the drive format in WIndows by right clicking on the drive and selecting 'Properties'. Under File System it needs to show 'FAT32'. If it's formatted as something else, you can back up your data and then reformat the drive to FAT32.

All the new flash drives I've purchased this year have come formatted as FAT32, and 16GB drives from multiple manufacturers seem to work fine with the updated driver.

1 month later
    #10 10 years ago

Got mine working tonight on my MB.
    Talk about dumb, couldn't work out why it only showed red colors, then after reinstalling about 5 times, discovered someone had put a red Perspex over the DMD. Took it off, and problem solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-wont-download-firmware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.