(Topic ID: 175246)

Color DMD with idol lights question

By KornFreak28

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6164 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6163 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6077 (resized).PNG
    IMG_6147 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6146 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6145 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6144 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6143 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6142 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6139 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6138 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6124 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6137 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6136 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6133 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6125 (resized).JPG
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The way it always works for me updating the display:
    1) download the rom (chroma.rom in your case since you are using a new display board) and copy it to the usb stick. This should be the only file on the usb stick.
    2) turn off the game. insert the USB stick. turn on the game.
    3) once booted, hold the first button on the left down down and watch the display board blink 5 times. This is the button closest to the ribbon cable. It should start downloading the rom and you can leave go of the button. The display will now be BLACK as its getting updated, then around 45 seconds later, the display will turn on with the color rom loaded.
    This video from color dmd shows the process. start at 1:17 to update the display. again disregard the filename in the video, you need the new chroma.com, but the rest should be correct.
    » YouTube video

Thank you very much! I wasn't aware that the chroma file has to be the only file inside the usb. I tried 3 different usb's and all have words files in them. So I have to buy a new usb for this? I cannot delete my files because I need them.

My first color DMD I bought was for a Getaway. If I'm not mistaken, the usb I used had other files in it and I had no issues. I will try your method. Thanks!

#52 7 years ago

There can be other files on the stick, I was just simplifying the procedure to guarantee results. The loader is going to look for the file in the root directory of the stick, it won't look anywhere else.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thank you very much! I wasn't aware that the chroma file has to be the only file inside the usb. I tried 3 different usb's and all have words files in them. So I have to buy a new usb for this? I cannot delete my files because I need them.
    My first color DMD I bought was for a Getaway. If I'm not mistaken, the usb I used had other files in it and I had no issues.

#53 7 years ago

Other files can be on the USB drive.

Take it step by step and watch the PROG LED.

(1). Power the board on without the USB drive. THe PROG LED will blink briefly at power up and the board should boot to DONE. DONE indicates that the boot process is completed.

(2) insert the USB drive. PROG should blink once on mounting the drive and go out. If PROG keeps blinking at this stage there is a problem with the USB drive. You'll need to reformat the drive with MS-FAT32 or purchase a new drive. MS-FAT32 is the formatting used for new drives.

(3) Press and hold the left button. PROG will blink slowly 5x and then go solid for the installation. When installation is complete the PROG LED will turn off. IF PROG starts repeatedly blinking here there is a problem with the filename.

If the filename looks correct and doesn't contain any additional characters you may have a hidden double extension (chroma.rom.rom). You can try deleting the visible extension. Turn the power off and on again and repeat the process.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There can be other files on the stick, I was just simplifying the procedure to guarantee results. The loader is going to look for the file in the root directory of the stick, it won't look anywhere else.

Got ya. I will still try your method.

One thing is for sure, I would gladly pay a little extra to Color DMD to download the file before shipping. That would be a cool option for customers who don't want to deal with this stuff.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Other files can be on the USB drive.
    Take it step by step and watch the PROG LED.
    (1). Power the board on without the USB drive. THe PROG LED will blink briefly at power up and the board should boot to DONE. DONE indicates that the boot process is completed.
    (2) insert the USB drive. PROG should blink once on mounting the drive and go out. If PROG keeps blinking at this stage there is a problem with the USB drive. You'll need to reformat the drive with MS-FAT32 or purchase a new drive. MS-FAT32 is the formatting used for new drives.
    (3) Press and hold the left button. PROG will blink slowly 5x and then go solid for the installation. When installation is complete the PROG LED will turn off. IF PROG starts repeatedly blinking here there is a problem with the filename.
    If the filename looks correct and doesn't contain any additional characters you may have a hidden double extension (chroma.rom.rom). You can try deleting the visible extension. Turn the power off and on again and repeat the process.

Thanks! Today after work, I will run to the store and buy a brand new usb MS-FAT 32 just to be sure. I will download again and hopefully it works out for me.

Randy, what about the status light? What is that supposed to do when you download the file?

What is the status light for?

#56 7 years ago

The STATUS LED doesn't really do anything except light when you're pressing buttons. It's controlled by an embedded processor so it provides evidence that the chip has booted and is working properly.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The STATUS LED doesn't really do anything except light when you're pressing buttons. It's controlled by an embedded processor so it provides evidence that the chip has booted and is working properly.

Sounds good. Please check thread later today. Thanks!

#58 7 years ago

Success! Bought a 7 dollar usb, formatted it and it worked like a charm!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Thanks for your help Randy! Great customer service! Last question: Which dot style are the "original" style? Thanks!

IMG_6163 (resized).JPGIMG_6163 (resized).JPG

IMG_6164 (resized).JPGIMG_6164 (resized).JPG

#59 7 years ago

Great! Glad you got it working.

DOTS is the style closest to the original DMD but must people prefer DOTXL over DOTS which makes the display brighter and improves the contrast.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Great! Glad you got it working.
    DOTS is the style closest to the original DMD but must people prefer DOTXL over DOTS which makes the display brighter and improves the contrast.

Awesome! Thanks Randy!

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-with-idol-lights-question/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.