3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mattyk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I haven't seen this issue here so I thought I'd point it out to others. Or, it's possible I'm just an idiot and no one has done this. I installed a LCD DMD in TSPP a couple of days ago. When I first booted the machine the display was showing white, which is default for the SIGMA ROM. I was unfamiliar with the buttons and menus, and began scrolling through the different colors having a look. I had it on red and hit save by mistake. I wasn't too worried about it as I was going to download the TSPP ROM and that ROM would overwrite the SIGMA file right? Wrong. I loaded TSPP and boom, I have color. I started playing and it didn't take long to notice the yellow was not true yellow. There was a greenish tint to everything yellow. Of course, Simpson's characters are yellow, and Homer, Bart, everyone displayed looked sick and about to puke with this greenish tint. I got my wife and she agreed yes, something looks off.

So today, I thought maybe selecting the red has caused the issue. I downloaded the SIGMA file and installed it. The display was showing everything in red. I was really surprised, as this means the red color selection is saved somewhere on the board. I fully expected the default white to be showing. I went ahead and switched to white and saved. I loaded the TSPP ROM and now I have bright yellows with no green tint. It sure appears that a color selection saved in SIGMA will impact game ROM color displays. I don't understand how, since if the red was stored somehow within the board I would expect the yellow to have an orangish tint instead of green if the colors were somehow mixing. When I first saved the red my initial thought was I better switch it back to white. My second thought was why bother, the file will be overwritten. With as many color DMD's out there now I'm wondering if there's others that have done this and don't know that their display is not showing the proper colors. Perhaps the color DMD folks can advise as well.

Hope this helps someone

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The default single color for the SIGMA ROM is stored in flash. That setting is ignored in the game-specific multicolor ROMs, but will still be there when you load the SIGMA ROM back up.
The SIGMA single-color setting should not have any impact at all on the colors rendered by the TSPP color ROM.
It's possible there was another problem (errored byte) during the TSPP ROM installation that affected the rendered colors. It's likely that just doing a reinstall of the TSPP ROM solved the problem.

Good to know. I didn't notice anything unusual when loading the ROM the first time. It didn't make sense to me why the SIGMA color would have anything to do with the wrong colors on the game ROM. It must have been an error then, thanks for the reply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 218.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-tip-sigma-color-change-can-cause-incorrect-color-display?tu=Dr_Gonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.