image-113.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Did I hear or read somewhere that the Color DMD folks now have a DMD for Spiderman? I think I saw a post from Phoebe, or someone talking about one of the games that she brought to Expo...being an example of Spidy with a color dmd. Can someone shed some light on this for me as am not seeing anything on their website. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Only thing I heard is they are working on it. Sigma displays will come out first which if understand is just a solid color you can choose including white. Later on they will program the dots for the color dmd effect.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks SDTM. I have been waiting since they announced the first one, hoping that they would have one for my Spiderman soon. I am not into mods much, but I think that this would be pretty cool.

#4 10 years ago

You're thinking of my post. Phoebe was running a ColorDMD on her Spider-Man, but not in full color, it was upscaled-style purple. So still just one color.

#5 10 years ago

This may make me keep my Spider-Man... Would love to see how color cleans up the animations.

#6 10 years ago

I doubt you'll ever see full color frankly. Those movie scenes would be seriously crappy to do by hand. The sigma smoothing did clean them up a little though. I could be wrong, just a guess.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I doubt you'll ever see full color frankly. Those movie scenes would be seriously crappy to do by hand. The sigma smoothing did clean them up a little though. I could be wrong, just a guess.

Yeah, the only way SM would look great via Color DMD is if the display ran higher res clips from the movie rather than trying to unjunk the Stern DMD stuff. And I can`t see that happening due to license issues.

You could homebrew something, but that would be an insane project.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Jhanra:

Did I hear or read somewhere that the Color DMD folks now have a DMD for spiderman? I think I saw a post from Phoebe, or someone talking about one of the games that she brought to Expo...being an example of Spidy with a color dmd. Can someone shed some light on this for me as am not seeing anything on their website. Thanks.

Yes I had a Color DMD Sigma 2.2 in my SM and Metallica at Expo SM was in blue and Met in purple. The Sigma allows the dots to be smoothed out and filled in. They are not individual colored screens like the displays for AFM, MM, etc. They are single color you choose in the menu which of the many colors you choose.

Phoebe

#9 10 years ago

Here's a couple of quick photos from Expo. SM was set to a light blue. First shot shows a scene from one of the Venom animations. Second shot shows the enhanced scaling with sharper text.

EDIT: Phoebe beat my post while I was searching for photos!

IMG_0523.JPGIMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0521.JPGIMG_0521.JPG

#10 10 years ago

I would love to see a video of the Spider-man DMD running Sigma 2.2, especially to see how the smoothing looks overall. The picture above certainly looks like an improvement.
I just read that my friend Herg has built a power cable and got his Metallica running with a ColorDMD.

#11 10 years ago

Metallica in purple.

IMG_0547.JPGIMG_0547.JPG IMG_0535.JPGIMG_0535.JPG
#12 10 years ago

any video of it in action? I'm guessing i better get ready to drop some money on all my pins.

#13 10 years ago

Hopefully they will get the different color dots worked out for sterns. Take my money then.

#14 10 years ago

Sparky dug it!

I tried to grab some video before bugging out to the airport. It's not great but I should have it up later tonight.

IMG_0553.JPGIMG_0553.JPG

#15 10 years ago

Hahaha, that Sparky was hilarious. Whatever the dreads were made out of they're flexible enough to shake around with him.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Hopefully they will get the different color dots worked out for sterns. Take my money then.

Nothing to get worked out....they just have to decide when to code them....just like any Williams title that hasn't been done.

#17 10 years ago

I liked Pheobe's Spider-Man's with the blue display. Not wanting to spend $400 for a color dmd, I just so happen to a blue LED display in my AvaTar. We'll use to. It's in Spidy now. A real improvement over the orange standard dmd.image-351.jpgimage-351.jpgimage-113.jpgimage-113.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Here's a couple of quick photos from Expo. SM was set to a light blue. First shot shows a scene from one of the Venom animations. Second shot shows the enhanced scaling with sharper text.
EDIT: Phoebe beat my post while I was searching for photos!

IMG_0523.JPG 3 MB

IMG_0521.JPG 3 MB

Can't wait for the video!! I didn't have any photos or videos so I didn't beat you to it Randy!!

Phoebe

#19 10 years ago

Hmmm, I guess I will need to see the video before deciding if it is really that much of an improvement. Unless the smoothing of the dots really looks great I don't see myself getting a new display for just a color change. I really like the improvement that is accomplished on the other games. And 400 clams is a lot to drop for just a color change. Thanks for all the responses.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would love to see a video of the Spider-Man DMD running Sigma 2.2, especially to see how the smoothing looks overall. The picture above certainly looks like an improvement.
I just read that my friend Herg has built a power cable and got his Metallica running with a ColorDMD.

It was actually my Tron, but that's not all that important. I stole the display from my Scared Stiff, and I have another on the way to replace it. If you want, I could build another power cable and we could play with it in your Spider-Man before I put it Scared Stiff. Just let me know.

#21 10 years ago

The content of the videos I grabbed at the show was pretty limited but hopefully others will post some additional videos soon. Both games were set up set to HD upscaling to demo the improved algorithm.

#22 10 years ago

I LOVE it on Metallica!!!!!

#23 10 years ago

I currently have a european rohs compliant led dmd in my spiderman and it sucks, it is just a blurry mess with all the video clips.

A friend of mine replaced his led dmd with a regular dmd which is much better and I was ready to buy it.
Luckily I found out that the sigma color dmd would be stern ready in the near future, so I really can't wait for this to hit the market and put it in my spidey.

#24 10 years ago

I am so in for this for my SM!

#25 10 years ago

I have it for STTNG, TZ is next for me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-stern-spiderman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.