Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dEviant
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

After having the Color DMD in my TZ set to black/white for a while, I decided to update it to the latest firmware and try out the TZ color ROM again. What I am consistently seeing is that the image flickers between color and white. This happens in attract mode (e.g. when the TZ logo against the same background as on the cabinet side art, scrolls off the screen to the left - but note that flickering is not always present when it scrolls to the right), during some (but not all) piano or slot machine animations, and other in-game animations. But the kicker is that presence of flickering does not seem to be limited to animated frames. For instance, when you get the extra ball, the animation ends with a static image of Tina with the words 'extra ball'. Even that static image is flickering between color and white.

I have had this issue since I got the Color DMD, which was in part why I switched it to black/white. I did see another thread on Color DMD flickering issues (here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flicker-in-color-dmd-on-white-water) mention to reseat the ribbon cables which I did, but that did not seem to have an effect.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything else I can do to try to resolve this, or is my only recourse to reconfigure the ColorDMD back to black/white?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from dEviant:

Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything else I can do to try to resolve this, or is my only recourse to reconfigure the ColorDMD back to black/white?

My AFM on the very first revision of the firmware and colordmd (AFM was the launch title) will RARELY in video mode switch to B&W temporarily. I think it's just an idiosyncrasy of the way the colorDMD works. It usually corrects itself on the next frame or two.

The thread you linked listed another cause that appeared to be something with the timing - you might want to reach out to colordmd and get their input. It should not do what you are describing. Do you happen to have any other ribbon cables you can try?

#3 1 year ago

I recorded some videos trying to highlight the issue. Here is one from the extra ball animation- note that there is flickering even when there is no animation going on - and that in this case only the red color is flickering (the others are stationary). I have noticed that in other animations, all colors seem to flicker, and/or the flickering does not always occur (e.g. in gumball release animation).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wZBKv6O7XbW4mzFtoODAdiMpIUd2rUeX/view?usp=share_link

slochar I don't think I have another ribbon cable around.

I've had this issue since day #1 that I got the ColorDMD - and did contact their support initially and was told something along the lines of frame matching algorithm doesnt always know how to recognize dynamic frames - which makes sense. I switched it to white only until now, so I had not really done a deep dive into this issue until I thought 'lets run it in color mode for a while'. Ive reached out to support again and see what they suggest to do to troubleshoot the issue.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from dEviant:

I recorded some videos trying to highlight the issue. Here is one from the extra ball animation- note that there is flickering even when there is no animation going on - and that in this case only the red color is flickering (the others are stationary). I have noticed that in other animations, all colors seem to flicker, and/or the flickering does not always occur (e.g. in gumball release animation).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wZBKv6O7XbW4mzFtoODAdiMpIUd2rUeX/view?usp=share_link
slochar I don't think I have another ribbon cable around.
I've had this issue since day #1 that I got the ColorDMD - and did contact their support initially and was told something along the lines of frame matching algorithm doesnt always know how to recognize dynamic frames - which makes sense. I switched it to white only until now, so I had not really done a deep dive into this issue until I thought 'lets run it in color mode for a while'. Ive reached out to support again and see what they suggest to do to troubleshoot the issue.

It sounds like a board related issue on the colorDMD itself?

I guess it could be a bad ribbon cable, but pressing on it, or wiggling it (without unplugging it) would be able to repeat the error.

I would report it to them and see if there is a resolution?

#5 1 year ago

My dmd controller was the case of this exact issue. I forget what the owner of color dmd said but I swapped with another wpc dmd board and the problem moved.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

My dmd controller was the case of this exact issue. I forget what the owner of color dmd said but I swapped with another wpc dmd board and the problem moved.

Good to know that I'm not the only one seeing this problem. Just before the time I purchased the ColorDMD I had replaced the dmd board with an x-pin one, because the stock board had issues with the high voltage circuit (which resulted in a "vertically rolling dmd image"), and unfortunately I don't have another dmd board lying around. I don't see any mention of xpin dmd board incompatibilities mentioned on the ColorDMD website.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

It sounds like a board related issue on the colorDMD itself?
I guess it could be a bad ribbon cable, but pressing on it, or wiggling it (without unplugging it) would be able to repeat the error.
I would report it to them and see if there is a resolution?

I wiggled all the ribbon cables around and it did not seem to affect the problem.

I did some more testing and saw that the "extra ball lit" message is all-white during the stationary part, but flickers with color during the transition part. It does look like there is something off with the dot-generation-timing-and/or-interpretation. I'll see what ColorDMD support will say about this.

#7 1 year ago

Some frames just straight up get missed during colorization. Not sure if that's what's happening here or not. Usually happens when there is a very short screen animation (displayed for a very short period of time) or during transitions (one screen fades out as another fades in).

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Some frames just straight up get missed during colorization. Not sure if that's what's happening here or not. Usually happens when there is a very short screen animation (displayed for a very short period of time) or during transitions (one screen fades out as another fades in).

In talking with someone who had colored alot of games, there isn't much that can be done about color loss on transitions where one screen is fading out as another one is fading in (how would you know what dots were supposed to be what color?).

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from dEviant:

Good to know that I'm not the only one seeing this problem. Just before the time I purchased the ColorDMD I had replaced the dmd board with an x-pin one, because the stock board had issues with the high voltage circuit (which resulted in a "vertically rolling dmd image"), and unfortunately I don't have another dmd board lying around. I don't see any mention of xpin dmd board incompatibilities mentioned on the ColorDMD website.

I wiggled all the ribbon cables around and it did not seem to affect the problem.
I did some more testing and saw that the "extra ball lit" message is all-white during the stationary part, but flickers with color during the transition part. It does look like there is something off with the dot-generation-timing-and/or-interpretation. I'll see what ColorDMD support will say about this.

I dont have any flicker at all on my colorDMD games.

Might be the DMD controller or a weak connection to it.

#10 1 year ago

ColorDMD support got back to me and identified the issue as being the X-Pin dmd controller board - it is not compatible with ColorDMD as it affects dot timing too much so that the frame recognition algorithm no longer can identify the incoming frame. Mystery solved.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from dEviant:

ColorDMD support got back to me and identified the issue as being the X-Pin dmd controller board - it is not compatible with ColorDMD as it affects dot timing too much so that the frame recognition algorithm no longer can identify the incoming frame. Mystery solved.

Pinsound has a new controller:

https://www.pinsound.org/products/dmdlux/

I wonder if its compatible?

#12 1 year ago

We have not seen any issues with the Pinsound or Rottendog DMD controller boards.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from dEviant:

Time to reinstall the original stock DMD controller board since you don't need that high voltage anyway with the ColorDMD.

#14 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for all your comments/suggestions!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 1,059.00
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-randomly-flickering-white-on-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.