Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5185 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5187 (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

I've got 6 Color DMDs on my games. Last year on one of the screens, half of the screen broke away from the board and was just hanging by the cables. It still worked fine so not a big deal.

Over the past month it has happened to another two of them. This is happening on it's own with the game just sitting in the same spot and even without any play. I turn the game on and notice half the DMD has dropped away.

I have used superglue and now double-sided tape to re-attach the screen back together again.

This is now 3 of the 6 that I have owned that this has happened to so it has become a bit of a frustration and disappointment with the quality of the units.

Anyone else had this happen?

#2 2 years ago

I got 4 color DMDs and have had no problems that your describing.

#3 2 years ago

Are they ColorDMD or Pin2DMD brands?

#4 2 years ago

Post pictures please.

#5 2 years ago

I have 12 ColorDMDs and have no issues. 4 are newer LCD ones from the past 2 years.

#6 2 years ago

I have one for about 8 years in use on my Tom. Zero issues.

#7 2 years ago

I have 40 or so ColorDMD's (LCD) and have not had an issue)

#8 2 years ago

This isn’t making any sense. The LCD screens cant even do what is being described. The LED ones i think are mounted and soldered to a board so I cant see how those could fall apart with wires dangling either. Something seems fishy. Post pics if this is a serious thread.

#9 2 years ago

Apologies, I wasn't very clear with my post and a photo would have helped too (posting at work ).

It is the "COLORDMD" LED screens that I'm referring to. These screens are in two sections that make up the full DMD size screen. It is one of these sections (or half the screen) that has broken off from it's solder points and hanging by the wires. They still work but I need to either superglue or stick them back in place which is a nuisance.

As I said, no rough treatment, the last two happened on games that hadn't even been played for a while and I only noticed when I turned them on to play.

I thought it may be a common issue as it has happened to 50% of the LED screens I have (3 of 6).

At work at the moment so will post a photo later.

#10 2 years ago

This doesn’t seem like anything I’ve ever seen. (And I have seen about 100-200 fairly close)
    You sure you didn’t buy the knock off brand? Edit-I see you said color dmd brand.

Have you contacted them directly?
    I know they will respond, they are a pretty good little company.

#11 2 years ago

Does PIN2DMD show up on the display when you turn on the game?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Does PIN2DMD show up on the display when you turn on the game?

No. They are ColorDMD as I bought them all direct myself.

Photos show what I poorly described earlier.

I just posted out of frustration due to this happening to two of mine over the past month. The 1st of mine that did this was over a year ago.

I thought it would probably be a common fault on these. Anyway, I'll get the superglue out and fix it. Whinge over

IMG_5185 (resized).JPGIMG_5185 (resized).JPGIMG_5187 (resized).JPGIMG_5187 (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago

They are LED (Light Emitting Diode) not LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

They are LED (Light Emitting Diode) not LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)

Correct.

#15 2 years ago

I think nearly every person reading this thread will "assume" you have LCD displays which is why they are commenting that it isn't possible for them to do what you have experienced.

Seems the colour LED panels aren't terribly well affixed to the frame. Glue or double sided tape I suppose is the fix?

#16 2 years ago

Whoa! Haven’t seen that before.

Have you contacted colordmd?
    Did you buy the two that broke, close together or at the same time? I’m curious if a run of them had something bad in it.

#17 2 years ago

You are in Australia, could it be some wonky-power-conversion-thing that's causing them to heat up and separate?

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

You are in Australia, could it be some wonky-power-conversion-thing that's causing them to heat up and separate?

The displays are from Europe which has the exact same mains voltage as Australia (well, made in China but it also has the same 230V mains). It is only the USA and a handful of mostly small countries that use 110V.

I'm sure there are just as many of these working in countries with 230V supply as there are in the USA/Canada.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Whoa! Haven’t seen that before.
    Have you contacted colordmd?
    Did you buy the two that broke, close together or at the same time? I’m curious if a run of them had something bad in it.

No I haven't contacted ColorDMD as it is fixable, just annoying. Yeah I was thinking maybe a dodgy batch or something but I bought the 6 DMDs 2 at a time over a period of a few months from recollection (3 x 2 screens separate orders).

#20 2 years ago

Those pieces that are separating are not joined as part of COLORDMD assembly: the plastic frame and LED panel come integrated as one piece from the Chinese LED panel manufacturer. Could just be a bad batch of LED panels or a batch from a cheap manufacturer.

Maybe ColorDMD would provide replacement panels: I imagine they just screw to the metal frame.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Those pieces that are separating are not joined as part of COLORDMD assembly: the plastic frame and LED panel come integrated as one piece from the Chinese LED panel manufacturer. Could just be a bad batch of LED panels or a batch from a cheap manufacturer.
    Maybe ColorDMD would provide replacement panels: I imagine they just screw to the metal frame.

Thanks for the feedback. A replacement isn't necessary as I can repair them. The LED panels are actually attached by small solder points not by screw.

I really shouldn't have posted this. It was just out of annoyance as I used doubled sided tape to fix the last two panels and then next time I powered the games on I noticed that the panels weren't properly aligned (tape wasn't holding them properly) so now I have to do it all again.

All good; I'm happy to move on. I love the ColorDMDs and would buy from them again. Thanks for the feedback guys.

#22 2 years ago

I'm surprised Dmod hasn't chimed in yet as he seems to keep tabs on topics mentioning colordmd here. He always seems to provide good support and service from what I've seen.

#23 2 years ago

I even have 4 LED ColorDMD's. A local Pinsider has at least 12 of them, another friend has 6. I have installed at least 15 more LED displays at the past 2 Houston shows and none experienced this type of issue.

I would like to see a picture of the whole backside of any of those displays.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I think nearly every person reading this thread will "assume" you have LCD displays which is why they are commenting that it isn't possible for them to do what you have experienced.
    Seems the colour LED panels aren't terribly well affixed to the frame. Glue or double sided tape I suppose is the fix?

If you read the thread the op does say they are led not lcd so no reason to assume. Just sayin.

I've had the color led and swapped it around my games a few times and have not had an issue. Maybe a bad run? Were they purchased around the same time frame?

#25 2 years ago

I would contact the vendor, and stop all of my own stopgap repairs. This is what I would do. They will likely respond in 24 hours so we can hear what they tell you about your issue. Specifically.

Good luck.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

Thanks for the feedback. A replacement isn't necessary as I can repair them. The LED panels are actually attached by small solder points not by screw.
    I really shouldn't have posted this. It was just out of annoyance as I used doubled sided tape to fix the last two panels and then next time I powered the games on I noticed that the panels weren't properly aligned (tape wasn't holding them properly) so now I have to do it all again.
    All good; I'm happy to move on. I love the ColorDMDs and would buy from them again. Thanks for the feedback guys.

No reason you can't / shouldn't post information like this, what else is this forum for? You didn't unnecessarily blast ColorDMD (who I think are great and stand behind their product in my experience) and just pointed out an issue you're having which may help others that may see the same thing in the future.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

No I haven't contacted ColorDMD as it is fixable, just annoying. Yeah I was thinking maybe a dodgy batch or something but I bought the 6 DMDs 2 at a time over a period of a few months from recollection (3 x 2 screens separate orders).

Not sure I understand why you wouldn't contact ColorDMD First before a public investigation?? They are incredibly helpful people over there seems letting them know would be the first step.

#28 2 years ago

No harm in asking if anyone else has seen/had this issue. I have never seen that before. I am sure ColorDMD may have a suggestion/fix. Sure they would also like to be aware of this as they stand behind their product and go out of their way to help people when needed. I would see what they say before fixing if you can. Your fix may be the best or a good option but can’t hurt to let them respond.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure I understand why you wouldn't contact ColorDMD First before a public investigation?? They are incredibly helpful people over there seems letting them know would be the first step.

I didn't contact ColorDMD simply because it is a problem I can fix myself. I don't need any after-sales support. As I said, I just posted here because I was annoyed and frustrated and assumed that if I was having this problem, most likely others were too. It was not intended to be a name and shame post, I was just venting a little at an inconvenience. I apologise to ColorDMD if it has been taken that way. I love their product and would buy again despite this experience.

#30 2 years ago

Has happened to two of mine. Had to crazy glue the panel back in and it leaves a tiny visible trace but not noticed when game is playing.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

I didn't contact ColorDMD simply because it is a problem I can fix myself. I don't need any after-sales support. As I said, I just posted here because I was annoyed and frustrated and assumed that if I was having this problem, most likely others were too. It was not intended to be a name and shame post, I was just venting a little at an inconvenience. I apologise to ColorDMD if it has been taken that way. I love their product and would buy again despite this experience.

It might be helpful to advise Randy of the issue you experienced, to help him investigate and take any actions for new batches of devices. In the past, they have helped me out quickly and without problems when I had a few self-inflicted wounds. I am sure he would welcome hearing from you so he could correct the design or manufacturing process.

For your units, I would suggest that you consider an epoxy with some body rather than thin Cyanoacrylates (like superglue). Something with some fillers/esters or equiv in it... and perhaps the new UV cure types like: https://www.amazon.com/FlashFix-Plastic-Adhesive-Seconds-Complete/dp/B099TFPPF4/ref=asc_df_B099TFPPF4/

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

Never felt you posted to name and shame and I'm sure you can fix it just know they take a lot of pride in their product and would probably like to know there was an issue so they can investigate so others don't get frustrated. Wouldn't want anyone to question a typically great product for possibly just a bad batch or shipping mishap from temperature. Glad you fixed it.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

I was referring to how the LED panels connect to the metal frame if you wanted to try and get replacements for the defective ones. I meant you could just get replacement LED panels and replace them yourself since they screw to the metal frame.

There's some problem with terminology because the "LED panel" generally means both that plastic frame and the array of LEDs mounted on it (the 2 pieces you find are separating), as they're always one piece (or should be, ha). What you're calling the "LED panel" is actually just a component of the "LED panel" which I'll call the "LED array". It's a bit confusing to talk about because we haven't established terms for what refers to what. So "LED panel" = "plastic frame" + "LED array".

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I was referring to how the LED panels connect to the metal frame if you wanted to try and get replacements for the defective ones. I meant you could just get replacement LED panels and replace them yourself since they screw to the metal frame.
    There's some problem with terminology because the "LED panel" generally means both that plastic frame and the array of LEDs mounted on it (the 2 pieces you find are separating), as they're always one piece (or should be, ha). What you're calling the "LED panel" is actually just a component of the "LED panel" which I'll call the "LED array". It's a bit confusing to talk about because we haven't established terms for what refers to what. So "LED panel" = "plastic frame" + "LED array".

Gotcha I think I've referred to it by many names as I was unsure of the correct terminology. I know now - thank you.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

Looks like someone else has had this problem now too. Nothing wrong with alerting others of the issue. But would suggest alerting ColorDMD also.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-quality-of-screens?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.