Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by busa32927
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
David-Hasselhoff-in-Kun-Fuy-Fury-Music-Video-True-Survivor_(resized).jpg
bw_(resized).jpg
baywatch_(resized).jpg
grammer_nazi_5_(resized).jpg
nAQqEA0_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I was looking ata Baywatch with color dmd that was had out-gassing issues. My question is since these are fairly recent devices if anyone has a handle on the life expectancy of them? And since they cost so much more has anyone tried to fix them?
I have some pins I've had since the early 90's that still haven't shown any signs like this and I'm worried that a coiple of the other color ones I have will fail soon.
Thanks

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

I was looking ata Baywatch with color dmd that was had out-gassing issues.

That's unpossible. There's no gas to go out.

#3 3 years ago

Color DMD can't be "out-gassing", because it is an LCD monitor. It may have a different issue that looks similar though.
You should be able to just buy a replacement LCD screen if it goes bad. The cost/value of Color DMD is more in the technology to make it produce the image (software) - the LCD panel should just be a normal LCD panel that can be easily and not too expensively replaced.

#4 3 years ago

excellent use of unpossible

nAQqEA0_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Just to be clear, ColorDMD doesn't currently support Baywatch or the 192x64 format. So whatever the problem was, it wasn't ours.

#6 3 years ago

You might reach out to color DMD if you buy it. They have fantastic customer service.

#7 3 years ago

Boom. See how fast they are. Although it's not the answer you were hoping for, it was still a fast one.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

excellent use of unpossible

grammer_nazi_5_(resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

Posting a photo of the display issue might help diagnose the problem.

#10 3 years ago

I haven't gone to look at it but this is what I got.
"Have a nice baywatch pinball. Nice game but dmd has some outgassing with it. Some screens it looks perfect, other times it fades."
And now that I look at the picture again, well...I might be wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

baywatch_(resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

that's a regular sega sized gas plasma display with strange lighting issues caused by all of the LEDs on the playfield

colorDMD out-gassing, what a hoot!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

I was looking ata Baywatch with color dmd that was had out-gassing issues. My question is since these are fairly recent devices if anyone has a handle on the life expectancy of them? And since they cost so much more has anyone tried to fix them?
I have some pins I've had since the early 90's that still haven't shown any signs like this and I'm worried that a coiple of the other color ones I have will fail soon.
Thanks

Please remove the "color" from your title. It is an original DMD not a colorDMD.

#13 3 years ago

It is a plasma DMD.

#14 3 years ago

Original plasma dmd with aweful leds makeing color puke everywhere. If your lucky you need to rebuild the high voltage section maybe old dried electrolytic capacitors. Those large dmds are not cheap or easy to come by.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Please remove the "color" from your title. It is an original DMD not a colorDMD.

+100
Click on edit of your original post in order to correct your thread title.

#16 3 years ago

The large sega dmds have their own hv section on the dmd. Not rebuildable.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The large sega dmds have their own hv section on the dmd. Not rebuildable.

Wow, did not know that. I always avoided Those few games.

#19 3 years ago

A color is orange.

#20 3 years ago

Orange is the new Amber.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Original plasma dmd with aweful leds makeing color puke everywhere. If your lucky you need to rebuild the high voltage section maybe old dried electrolytic capacitors. Those large dmds are not cheap or easy to come by.

What's the deal with the overuse of pink and purple on playfield LED lighting people do? It's almost always ugly. I don't get it.

#22 3 years ago

A Clockwork Orange.....

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

What's the deal with the overuse of pink and purple on playfield LED lighting people do? It's almost always ugly. I don't get it.

I agree, but I also remember feeling the same way about some powder coated Shadow ramps you showed off several years back. And some of your more blinged-out WD/Spaz packaging. We all have our own tastes!

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Orange is a color.

Pink is a color too

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

+100
Click on edit of your original post in order to correct your thread title.

Still waiting for a correction to your thread title.

#26 3 years ago

That lighting....

bw_(resized).jpg

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

That lighting....

...doth hassle the Hoff.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

...doth hassle the Hoff.

David-Hasselhoff-in-Kun-Fuy-Fury-Music-Video-True-Survivor_(resized).jpg

#29 2 years ago

The Plasma display is outgassed terribly. A raspberry pi and DMD extender are in its future. The game wasn't as LED'ed out in stupid colors as the photo looks. All ww leds or incandescent bulbs in the hard to reach places in the GI. Fun game though. Needs flipper rebuilds and the shooter is too weak for the skill shots.

My main complaint with leds (aside from vomit-tacular GI colors) is in the inserts. Trying to color match leds wash out and/or over saturate the colors. Cool whites under cool colors, warm white under warm ones and reds under reds. Impossible to mess up.

#30 2 years ago

My electromechanical games keep blowing transistors!

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My electromechanical games keep blowing transistors!

Mine won't go into attract

#32 2 years ago

Just edited the thread title for the OP. Not a color DMD...

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

The Plasma display is outgassed terribly. A raspberry pi and DMD extender are in its future. The game wasn't as LED'ed out in stupid colors as the photo looks. All ww leds or incandescent bulbs in the hard to reach places in the GI. Fun game though. Needs flipper rebuilds and the shooter is too weak for the skill shots.
My main complaint with leds (aside from vomit-tacular GI colors) is in the inserts. Trying to color match leds wash out and/or over saturate the colors. Cool whites under cool colors, warm white under warm ones and reds under reds. Impossible to mess up.

Are you the one that bought it?

#34 2 years ago

My friend did. I went to look at it with him.

1 week later
#35 2 years ago

Technically you own 1/3 of that game. Don't try to deny that you now have part of a Sega in your collection. Your system 11's will get over it.

#36 2 years ago

Well...we got the wrong controller board, so we decided to go with an even bigger screen and just taped an LCD TV to it! Go big or go home!

image_(resized).jpeg

#37 2 years ago

Well that's novel!

#38 2 years ago

I call shenanigans. If it was a real fix you'd have used duct tape and not the blue junk.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Just edited the thread title for the OP. Not a color DMD...

It looks like a color DMD. A color display. Not ColorDMD™. For everyone absolutely dogging this guy because it looks like a mudslinging post against ColorDMD™, here is the original thread title in the address bar.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-out-gassing-on-baywatch

The dashes resemble spaces. He was not informed on what type of display is in the game, and the horrible color mess in that blurry photo makes it seem unclear. Yes he did say it's outgassing, but he's new and has only made four posts.

Quoted from fathom:

I was looking ata Baywatch with color dmd

In the end a little confusion over terms, but the response and title change was unwarranted. Looks like he never intended on smearing the brand.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

I haven't gone to look at it but this is what I got.
"Have a nice baywatch pinball. Nice game but dmd has some outgassing with it. Some screens it looks perfect, other times it fades."
And now that I look at the picture again, well...I might be wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you by chance have a picture of the back side of the display?

#41 2 years ago

if it is color it sounds like it is the dr pinball kit with a raspberry pie. i would check the connections and make sure the sd card is in it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside