Topic poll

“Color DMD Simpsons of Lord of the rings?”

• The Simpsons 20 votes
    49%
  • Lord of the Rings 21 votes
    51%

(41 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

I have one color DMD but can't decide which game to put it in... Any comments on which of these two games is better for a color DMD? Reasons?

#2 6 years ago

I have both as well and just had to make that decision. Decided to try LOTR first. But I'm betting TSPP is great too.

I'm running it in 8bit mode and looks great.

#3 6 years ago

TSPP !!!

#4 6 years ago

BOTH !!!!

#5 6 years ago

As soon as you put it in one, you'll want to do the other.

You can easily swap between the games, so you can't go wrong putting it in either game.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You can easily swap between the games, so you can't go wrong putting it in either game.

This. Takes minutes really, so just try them both.

But I can already tell you what's going to happen. You're going to install it in one or the other, realize it's awesome, that you can't go back to orange dots, and will just give in and buy a second.

#7 6 years ago

pinchamp, do you already have one in MB, IJ, and MET? Those are all colorized.

#8 6 years ago

Oops...TAF is also colorized.

#9 6 years ago

pinchamp, do you already have one in MB, IJ, and MET? Those are all colorized.

Yes I do but not in TAF. I originally purchased it for TAF but didn't want to mess around with the the thing lights

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Yes I do but not in TAF. I originally purchased it for TAF but didn't want to mess around with the the thing lights

You don't have to. The color Dmd lights up behind the Thing letters. It's dimmer than having the light board there - but it's a good solution if you don't wanna mod the light board.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don't have to. The color Dmd lights up behind the Thing letters. It's dimmer than having the light board there - but it's a good solution if you don't wanna mod the light board.

Really? I don't understand this... So I can remove the THING light board and the color DMD will light the thing letter as required the ought the game? I didn't realize this... I thought I had to mod the light board to fit the color DMD behind

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Really? I don't understand this... So I can remove the THING light board and the color DMD will light the thing letter as required the ought the game? I didn't realize this... I thought I had to mod the light board to fit the color DMD behind

Really! The bottom on the LCD goes down far enough to be able to light up the things lights. I've never re-done the light board for it and it's been bright enough.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

Really! The bottom on the LCD goes down far enough to be able to light up the things lights. I've never re-done the light board for it and it's been bright enough.

Giddy up!! Yet another problem solved by ColorDMD.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This. Takes minutes really, so just try them both.
But I can already tell you what's going to happen. You're going to install it in one or the other, realize it's awesome, that you can't go back to orange dots, and will just give in and buy a second.

True enough. Your color addiction has begun, no turning back now.

#15 6 years ago

I'm in a similar predicament except have XMLE and TSPP but thinking of doing TSPP first because it's an older DMD anyway, but likely as not I should get two and save on the shipping.

#16 6 years ago

Giddy up!! Yet another problem solved by ColorDMD.

Haha... Sweet! So now I have to choose between 3... Is TAF the winner then? Over TSPP and LOTR?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Haha... Sweet! So now I have to choose between 3... Is TAF the winner then? Over TSPP and LOTR?

Buy all 3 and it's free shipping now

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

No! You need TAF in addition to either TSPP and/or LOTR.

#19 6 years ago

TAF is not the one I would pick first. Not ColorDMD's fault, just one of the most boring DMDs out there. TSPP and LOTR offer way more exciting animations and colors. You really can't lose with either one. LOTR looks great, Randy did a killer job on it. TSPP is just a natural, it's a freaking cartoon. If you can't pay for both now that's fine, but if you can just know that you're going to wish you just shipped them both at the same time once you install one.

#20 6 years ago

If it was a matter of buying 1 or 2 then I would be buying 2. However this is the color DMD I removed from the STTNG so that is why I am trying to decide.

#21 6 years ago

Tspp and LOTR are equally awesome. Really hard to choose.

Sorry I'm of no help lol.

Both better than Addams...but I ColorDMD every game that becomes available.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

If it was a matter of buying 1 or 2 then I would be buying 2. However this is the color DMD I removed from the STTNG so that is why I am trying to decide.

Do you have a Stern power cable adapter? If not, you can order one separately of a display.
http://shop.colordmd.com/accessories/

#24 6 years ago

Do you have a Stern power cable adapter? If not, you can order one separately of a display.
http://shop.colordmd.com/accessories/

Yeah I have both Williams and stern cable adapters. LOTR is ahead by 2 votes.

#25 6 years ago

If I had to choose I'd take LOTR. Only because it's an epic game and feels more epic in color.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If I had to choose I'd take LOTR. Only because it's an epic game and feels more epic in color.

It's a much more "orange" game though. TSPP is cartoon colour, perfect match. And that is the extent of my artistic capabilities.

#27 6 years ago

Tough choice.
I have both and couldn't decide.

Bad news: no right choice here.

Good news: no wrong choice here.

Go back to work, get the money, and buy the second ColorDMD.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

TAF is not the one I would pick first. Not ColorDMD's fault, just one of the most boring DMDs out there. TSPP and LOTR offer way more exciting animations and colors. You really can't lose with either one. LOTR looks great, Randy did a killer job on it. TSPP is just a natural, it's a freaking cartoon. If you can't pay for both now that's fine, but if you can just know that you're going to wish you just shipped them both at the same time once you install one.

I was going to PM you, but might as well ask here. What would Tron or IM look like as a color DMD? (I realize they have not been ported for those games, but Tron at least seems likely).

And as a side note, I prefer the smoothed (not sure what you call it high res?) instead of the dots or dots plus.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was going to PM you, but might as well ask here. What would Tron or IM look like as a color DMD? (I realize they have not been ported for those games, but Tron at least seems likely).

Tron is being worked on right now. I can't speak to the status of Iron Man.

#30 6 years ago

Not sure I can see how LOTR wins on this. Randy did a great job, but TSPP being a cartoon just changes the look more than LOTR and really many games.

As for Tron/IM and that era...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!