• Latest reply 6 years ago by libtech
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

47DDAEC0-CD35-489C-8DA4-E696B493CAFE (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I'm just curious what looks better to most people, the color DMD LCD or the newer LED, I've had a few LCD and know what to expect but the LED is very tempting, I don't anyone with the LED model in their game so looking for a little advice. Its for my TWD Pre any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks very much
Hazoff

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm just curious what looks better to most people, the color DMD LCD or the newer LED, I've had a few LCD and no what to expect but the LED is very tempting, I don't anyone with the LED model in their game so looking for a little advice. Its for my TWD Pre any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks very much
Hazoff

I prefer the LED for 2 reasons:

1 - I like the look of the dots.

2 - Simple to install.

#4 6 years ago

LCD has more options and looks better IMO. LED is a great option if LCD doesn't fit. I have 5 games - all using colordmd lcd

Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm just curious what looks better to most people, the color DMD LCD or the newer LED, I've had a few LCD and no what to expect but the LED is very tempting, I don't anyone with the LED model in their game so looking for a little advice. Its for my TWD Pre any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks very much
Hazoff

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Covered in depth here:

Thank you sir

#7 6 years ago

Personal preference.

If you prefer larger dots with options and don't mind slightly muted color, use LCD.

If you don't mind smaller dots but want vivid color and a factory installed look with true blacks, use LED.

I have LCD in most of my games and just recently bought my first LED for my MET. If LED had larger dots, I would prefer that. But as it stands, I give the edge to LCD given the options it offers.

I would still use either as they're both great.

#8 6 years ago

Personally, for B/W, I alway choose LED. For newer Sterns, LCD.

PS: The earlier referenced thread will make your brain hurt.

#9 6 years ago

I’m enjoying my lcd, looks great and easy to install.

#10 6 years ago

It is personal preference.

#11 6 years ago

LCD. More for options and better durability. Seen pixels go out on the led

#12 6 years ago

Just put a LCD in my AC/DC looks great!! Have not seen an example of the LED but the LCD does have a few options that are nice for the display

#13 6 years ago

Both of my games have LCD displays set to Hi-Res Dots.

#14 6 years ago

I like the LCD's using the "dotsXL" option, because you still get dots but it feels like an upgrade. Haven't compared LED side by side but I'm sure they look great on their own too.

#15 6 years ago

I selected LCD for my ST pro. My wife is getting it for me for Christmas, we'll see what it looks like. I was on the fence about which to pick.

#16 6 years ago

LED ColorDMD reminds of these types of signs. Very twinkiley

47DDAEC0-CD35-489C-8DA4-E696B493CAFE (resized).jpeg47DDAEC0-CD35-489C-8DA4-E696B493CAFE (resized).jpeg

I prefer the LCD.

2 weeks later
#17 6 years ago

How do you guys address the gap that is created with the LCD in a newer Stern? I don't want to see inside the backbox from the side. Black foam?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

How do you guys address the gap that is created with the LCD in a newer Stern? I don't want to see inside the backbox from the side. Black foam?

Yes, black foam weatherstripping from the hardware store can be used to fill the gaps.

#19 6 years ago

Thanks, install went easy enough. Tight fit, had to skip the washers and coax it into my ST Pro today.

Dotsxl seems to be my preference.

#20 6 years ago

Never understood why they use that big lcd, you can get near perfect size bar shaped LCDs eg: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/open-frame-14-9-inch-stretched_60648056024.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.80.6abc893e2UDSem that would offer the benifits of lcd but with the more factory install look of the lcd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-led-vs-lcd?hl=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.