You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
IMG_4015 (resized).JPG
IMG_4014 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Curious what could cause this issue with my color DMD in my Dracula. It has been working perfect and I turned on the machine and I'm getting lines with no color. I've reset the cables but it didn't help.

IMG_4014 (resized).JPGIMG_4014 (resized).JPGIMG_4015 (resized).JPGIMG_4015 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Nearly guarantee you your problem lies with your DMD Controller behind the translite. Did you reset the cable on that side?

#3 5 years ago

Communication problem between the MPU and video RAM on the DMD controller board. To confirm, try running a display test from the game menus to the end and you'll get a report on reads/writes to the video RAM.

Can usually be fixed by reseating (or replacing) the two wide ribbon cables that run from the MPU to the DMD controller board.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Curious what could cause this issue with my color DMD in my Dracula. It has been working perfect and I turned on the machine and I'm getting lines with no color. I've reset the cables but it didn't help.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd try re-flashing the colorDMD.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Communication problem between the MPU and video RAM on the DMD controller board. To confirm, try running a display test from the game menus to the end and you'll get a report on reads/writes to the video RAM.
Can usually be fixed by reseating (or replacing) the two wide ribbon cables that run from the MPU to the DMD controller board.

Ribbon cables swapped out and I still have the same problem. I ran the display test and came back PAGE ERROR BK (1) O 12. It’s hard to tell if a K and D because of a line thru it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd try re-flashing the colorDMD.

How does one re-flash the Dmd? I’ve always got games with the color in them and never installed one. Thank you

#7 5 years ago

Are your ribbon cables correct, sometimes the ribbon can be flipped and installed wrong. Just a guess.

#8 5 years ago

Don’t reflash the ColorDMD. It’s not the problem and not in the link that’s causing the page error.

If you have another WPC game, next step is to swap the DMD controller boards to see if the problem follows the board. It could be a failed video RAM or a bad header connection. More commonly it’s the RAM.

On the MPU it could be a poor socket connection at an IC or bad header connection.

It’s usually a ribbon cable or the video RAM.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Are your ribbon cables correct, sometimes the ribbon can be flipped and installed wrong. Just a guess.

They are correct because it was working perfect then I turned it on and got this

#10 5 years ago

If you have another dmd board swap it and see if the problem goes away

#11 5 years ago

This is the ribbon cable that normally causes that issue. Sometimes it takes reseating it 2 or 3 times at each board connection to clear it up. 2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

This is the ribbon cable that normally causes that issue. Sometimes it takes reseating it 2 or 3 times at each board connection to clear it up. [quoted image]

I couldn’t THANK YOU enough. That did the trick and you made it easy for a rookie with the picture. This community rocks!!!

#13 5 years ago

Picture is not as good as what zaza comes up with, but I plan on working on it a bit.

Play ball !!

#14 5 years ago

Just FYI... This same issue would have popped up if it had an original orange plasma display.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 84.99
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-issuehelp?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.