(Topic ID: 286652)

Color DMD Issue

By robey99

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5CB9B6F5-8C00-433B-83EF-DF9120CB2912 (resized).jpeg
    2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
    D0ACD3A1-C4D1-4BAE-B98C-45D12151801D (resized).png
    C6C0DAC1-DF85-4EAE-BE21-3DE3F1667685 (resized).jpeg
    7E5ED96D-A7EA-4FEC-BC08-ADEC4808AF3F (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Having an issue with my color dmd. Works fine in menu settings but very choppy and unreadable in play or attract mode. The led light on Done is green. I reseated all cables. The cables are new. Mpu status is good. I have a pin sound and dmd lux. Those seem fine and all leds show they are operating correctly. I don’t think the issue is the dmd. Any thoughts on where my issue might be. The Mpu? I’m stumped. Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

what game?
    Where is the power plugged into?
    Did you use the correct ROM file when updating the colordmd?

#3 3 years ago

It is for CFTBL. Power is plugged into auxiliary mod power board. Also plugged into the pin sound and same issue. It is the most recent rom file.you can make out some of the creature displays like Universal, etc. Thanks.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from robey99:

It is the most recent rom file.

Chroma.rom?

How about a picture of this please?

You can press the menu button. What game color ROM shows loaded?

#5 3 years ago

It is chroma.rom. I downloaded it twice. Same issue. Let me check on version. Thanks.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from robey99:It is for CFTBL. Power is plugged into auxiliary mod power board. Also plugged into the pin sound and same issue. It is the most recent rom file.you can make out some of the creature displays like Universal, etc. Thanks.

When you say aux mod power board... can you swap to the "stock" install method and plug power into it directly from the power driver board?
    https://www.colordmd.com/installation/Assembly%20for%20Instructions%20WPC%20CHROMA%20eDP%20rev1.PDF

#7 3 years ago

Here are some pics. Thanks.

7E5ED96D-A7EA-4FEC-BC08-ADEC4808AF3F (resized).jpeg7E5ED96D-A7EA-4FEC-BC08-ADEC4808AF3F (resized).jpegC6C0DAC1-DF85-4EAE-BE21-3DE3F1667685 (resized).jpegC6C0DAC1-DF85-4EAE-BE21-3DE3F1667685 (resized).jpegD0ACD3A1-C4D1-4BAE-B98C-45D12151801D (resized).pngD0ACD3A1-C4D1-4BAE-B98C-45D12151801D (resized).png
    #8 3 years ago

Definitely looks like a data problem or color ROM issue.

This is a new Chroma LCD display just purchased?

With power off, reseat this ribbon cable.
    2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#9 3 years ago

I reseated the cable with power off. I also replaced the pin sound sound board and dmd and same issue. I will try another chroma version but I have downloaded the latest one twice. Is it something on the mpu? Can’t think of any other issues. I don’t want to buy another dmd. Thanks.

#10 3 years ago

With power off, you can unplug that ribbon cable from the Fliptronix and sound boards.

Is this really a new Chroma DMD board? Making sure you are not using an older ColorDMD board, which requires a different color ROM file.

#11 3 years ago

This is a fairly new color dmd. It is rev b1. See pic. I reseated that cable and all others with no luck. Maybe it’s the cables.

5CB9B6F5-8C00-433B-83EF-DF9120CB2912 (resized).jpeg5CB9B6F5-8C00-433B-83EF-DF9120CB2912 (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago

Thank you for the confirmation. Try this next. With power off, press on all the ICs that are in IC sockets on the CPU board, including the square IC.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

With power off, you can unplug that ribbon cable from the Fliptronix and sound boards.

This can help narrow it down if it is a ribbon cable or an issue with the data lines on one of the 2 boards you unplug.

#13 3 years ago

Appreciate all the help but nothing is working. Reseated the chips and made sure things were tight. Even the sound is off. I can’t think of anything but the cpu. Thanks again.

#14 3 years ago

Being sound is also being affected, back to the same ribbon cable I am pointing to in post #8. Make sure all the header board pins are straight. May have to scrub those headers on the MPU and Fliptronix boards with alcohol and a toothbrush.

You can try swapping the ribbon cable with Indy 500 to see if the issue moves.

#15 3 years ago

Can you change the MOUNTING setting in the display menus using the buttons on the rear of the display? I had a similar issue with an LED ColorDMD. I didn't change the Mounting setting so it displayed all weird.

#16 3 years ago

I guess I assumed your original board worked, have you swapped back to the dmd to just verify that is displaying good or bad?

#17 3 years ago

Let me give these a try tonight and report back. Much appreciated.

#18 3 years ago

You should reseat both ribbon cables that run from the MPU to the DMD controller board. Try running a display test in the game menus all the way to the end where it tests reads/writes from the MPU to the video RAM on the DMD controller board. The results may be hard to read but that will test if there's a data communication problem between the boards.

You can also try swapping the DMD controller board from another WPC game to see if the problem follows the DMD controller.

#19 3 years ago

Just got around to this. I bought a new set of ribbons and that didn’t work. I replaced the MPu with a working one. That didn’t work. I am going to try replacing the fliptronics board and then the actual color dmd. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

#20 3 years ago

So I finally found the issue and it was the last thing tested. It was a failed color dmd. I replaced the cpu, all cables, the fliptronics board and finally the dmd. Working like a champ now. Appreciate the help.

#21 3 years ago

Unfortunately, I am still having the issue. Not as bad but still a problem. I sent a support message to them. Maybe them have some thoughts on the issue. Thanks.

1 week later
    #22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

You can also try swapping the DMD controller board from another WPC game to see if the problem follows the DMD controller.

Tried this yet?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.