• Latest reply 12 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010628.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hey guys, Just got done installing the Color DMD on AFM. Shot a quick clip showing Multiball & TA. Didnt realize how dusty the glass was but thats not the point of the video anyways.

#2 12 years ago

Looks pretty cool! I would have to consider one of these if they someday make one for WH2O.

#3 12 years ago

That video and others like it are going to force all of us to get AFM just to get this killer mod.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

That video and others like it are going to force all of us to get AFM just to get this killer mod.

My bank account doesn't like that idea.

#5 12 years ago

Just wondering if I should get a green mother ship to replace the gray one. I see you can get colored leds for the mother ship from another link. I also wonder how long before supply catches up with demand and is this mod a simple plug and play?

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Loupie:

Just wondering if I should get a green mother ship to replace the gray one. I see you can get colored leds for the mother ship from another link. I also wonder how long before supply catches up with demand and is this mod a simple plug and play?

I've seen the colored saucers before and to me the only once that look nice are the ones painted a metal look. Colored ones look crappy IMO

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Loupie said:Just wondering if I should get a green mother ship to replace the gray one. I see you can get colored leds for the mother ship from another link. I also wonder how long before supply catches up with demand and is this mod a simple plug and play?
I've seen the colored saucers before and to me the only once that look nice are the ones painted a metal look. Colored ones look crappy IMO

Agreed. Stick with the gray saucer Loupie.

#8 12 years ago

Looks cool. One thing that watching this video does remind me though is how little I see the DMD when I'm playing. I owned AFM and didn't see a lot of those animations when I had the pin, and I doubt you saw much of it either during MB and Total Annihilation....especially since you got the Super Jackpot!

Still....I'm going to want one for my MB!

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Looks cool. One thing that watching this video does remind me though is how little I see the DMD when I'm playing. I owned AFM and didn't see a lot of those animations when I had the pin, and I doubt you saw much of it either during MB and Total Annihilation....especially since you got the Super Jackpot!
Still....I'm going to want one for my MB!

It was actually a 1st time thing for me getting the Super Jackpot while in TA. I couldn't nudge the machine that much cause it would have knocked over my iPhone but was able to shoot the last jackpot shot on the right loop During the grace period which just happened to be the only shot I needed to start TA. Was kinda cool picking up the SJ while in TA.

But I agree you always pick up certain things when your able to sit back and watch the DMD as opposed to trying to see it while playing. I have a feeling the Color DMD will be even better in MM with all the animations it has going on (especially the stacked Madness's)

#10 12 years ago

Wow Awesome!!

#11 12 years ago

Looks great.

If any DMD fails on any machine with this mod made I will absolutely replace with these instead.

#12 12 years ago

I'm definitely getting one when I can use the developer's kit to recolor my own animations. I don't understand why they made the saucers green when they are grey and red in the machine.

Obviously not a huge deal, but something that I will change in mine ASAP.

#14 12 years ago

Man, that looks slick. A buddy of mine is installing his tonight, so I'll have to check it out.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

+1

I really want an AFM

Thanks for the video!

#16 12 years ago

I'm still waiting for Scared Stiff!

#17 12 years ago

I am going to get one as AFM without one seems like it is out of date!!

Great way to modernize the 1990 pins for sure.

Games with color DMD will be even more in demand!

#18 12 years ago

Holy.. I never realized how chaotic the DMD animations get in that game!

You had a great ball for sure.. and the mod looks sweet

#19 12 years ago

Just got mine today and installed it. I don't think I can ever look at an orange DMD again.

#20 12 years ago

Just got done installing mine. Wow, it looks really nice.

#21 12 years ago

Loupie said:I've seen the colored saucers before and to me the only once that look nice are the ones painted a metal look. Colored ones look crappy IMO

Agreed

P1010628.jpgP1010628.jpg

#22 12 years ago

USPS tracking says mine's on its way to the destination country. We'll see how long Canada Customs can sit on it this time...

First mod I did to my game was spraying the saucers silver Testors model paint. Should have been that way from the factory. The gray plastic looks like it was recycled from 90's computer cases.

Looking at the original game, it must have had a low BOM compared to many other 90's titles. Certainly didn't detract from the fun factor though...

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Just got mine today and installed it. I don't think I can ever look at an orange DMD again.

Huge potential problem with this mod...........

Orange dmd's are going to suck fast!!!!

Seriously, we are going to want these on all our pins!

#24 12 years ago

Where's the colored dmd coming from? I checked Bay Area Amusements and they are sold out. Anyone else selling them?

#25 12 years ago

Any news on an offering for stern owners? I need several in my life.....(oh and one for the original indy too)

#26 12 years ago

this is the best mod for any machine I have ever seen. PLEASE make one for the sega super dmd games.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

this is the best mod for any machine I have ever seen. PLEASE make one for the sega super dmd games.

I wouldnt hold my breath on that one.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Loupie:

Where's the colored dmd coming from? I checked Bay Area Amusements and they are sold out. Anyone else selling them?

they were sold out after just a few hours. Youll have to wait for the 2nd run which im sure will be very soon.

#29 12 years ago

I'd love to see this on Monster Bash. Bonus points if the makers create an option that can put it in color or "black-and-white mode." How cool would it be to play a classic Universal Monsters themed game in black-and-white? It's aliiiiiiive!

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I'd love to see this on Monster Bash. Bonus points if the makers create an option that can put it in color or "black-and-white mode." How cool would it be to play a classic Universal Monsters themed game in black-and-white? It's aliiiiiiive!

+1

#31 12 years ago

I wonder if the guys at P-ROC are thinking of just going all out on there BOP DMD MOD and just going the way of the color....hmmm. Make it so!

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Bonus points if the makers create an option that can put it in color or "black-and-white mode."

Actually....
Apparently they are working on / have implemented a way for you to put this in a game that they have not "colorized" yet and basically "select" any replacement color for the orange dots (i.e. All Blue on WH20 or Tron e.t.c.)

I believe it is just a software setting

Plus, the control board that it comes with has a USB port for easy firmware updates in the future

Something tells me these will be very good, reliable, upgradeable units for the immediate future!

#33 12 years ago

Well, my Color DMD is dead. Played several games, turned it off to adjust a lane guide, turned it back on...dead. Put the old DMD back in the game and it works fine, checked voltages, fuses, connections, cables, put the Color DMD back in...nothing...the LCD's backlight doesn't even come on.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Well, my Color DMD is dead. Played several games, turned it off to adjust a lane guide, turned it back on...dead. Put the old DMD back in the game and it works fine, checked voltages, fuses, connections, cables, put the Color DMD back in...nothing...the LCD's backlight doesn't even come on.

That sucks. Wonder what the issue is?

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

At least you have this:

Warranties
All ColorDMD display devices carry a limited 1 year warranty against manufacturer defects. This warranty covers replacement or repair of defective ColorDMD driver boards and cables. This warranty does not apply to LCD screens (see below). For a period of 60 days from original date of purchase, ColorDMD Displays LLC will repair or replace defective ColorDMD driver boards or cables and will pay for all labor and materials. After 60 days, and up to 1 year from date of purchase, ColorDMD Displays LLC will repair or replace defective ColorDMD driver boards or cables for a service charge not to exceed $100.

LCD screens are not covered by this warranty but we may be able to assist you in obtaining a replacement. The screens we use are standard computer parts and available from a number of sources.

Please contact ColorDMD Displays LLC to request warranty service and obtain an RMA number. No shipment for warranty service will be accepted without an accompanying RMA number. Customer is responsible for all costs of shipping items to ColorDMD Displays LLC for warranty service.

#36 12 years ago

Yes, I read that the other day. Sounds like if it is the LCD I'm SOL. We'll see.

#37 12 years ago

I'm sure they'll cut you a break, it's like the first person to break a new iPhone!

#38 12 years ago

I bet it is something simple like a loose wire or connection on the inside. Sux to already have to ship it back though. Do you miss the color now or is it not that big of a deal to play the game in orange?

#39 12 years ago

The guys at Color DMD got back to me quickly and asked me to check a few things. I walk over and power up the game and...it works. So after sitting for 1.5 hours, it is now working. Hopefully we'll figure out what is going on.

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

The guys at Color DMD got back to me quickly and asked me to check a few things. I walk over and power up the game and...it works. So after sitting for 1.5 hours, it is now working. Hopefully we'll figure out what is going on.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. That really sucks.

#41 12 years ago

Working with Randy @ ColorDMD to figure this out. I'll update later with the solution.

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Working with Randy @ ColorDMD to figure this out. I'll update later with the solution.

Hope all is well. I am installing mine tomorrow.

#43 12 years ago

Update: Problem appears to be solved. Broad overview of what happened here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/props-to-colordmd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 37.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-installed-on-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.