Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by wiggy07
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191229_120719 (resized).jpg
4F02C3CC-60ED-4B9D-BDE6-1988DAB16B71 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 months ago

Hello-

Santa brought a color DMD for scared stiff. Followed the vague instructions and installed the code via USB per website. It seemed to upload, as the menu shows it did, but won’t enter game mode and display anything except the menu....

And why in this day and age is their not a phone number to call for support????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 5 months ago

Go to colordmd.com and email them from the website. Randy is usually pretty fast to respond.

LTG : )

#3 5 months ago

Vague instructions for hardware install or firmware updates?

4F02C3CC-60ED-4B9D-BDE6-1988DAB16B71 (resized).jpeg
#4 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

It seemed to upload, as the menu shows it did, but won’t enter game mode and display anything except the menu

Did anything show during game mode before trying to update? If not, perhaps you have the ribbon cable plugged in upside down at the ColorDMD board? Please post a picture of the display plugged in with power on.

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Vague instructions for hardware install or firmware updates?[quoted image]

Neither. Those are self explanatory-as you conveniently attached.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did anything show during game mode before trying to update? If not, perhaps you have the ribbon cable plugged in upside down at the ColorDMD board? Please post a picture of the display plugged in with power on.

Thanks for a genuine response and help. Only thing I noticed was menu had the option of selecting wpc/95, stern etc., but after software was installed, this option was gone.

Will take pic tomorrow. Thanks

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go to colordmd.com and email them from the website. Randy is usually pretty fast to respond.

Thanks, I did email them. Awaiting a response. I’m not a big email guy-is there not a business phone line? I did not find one.

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

Neither. Those are self explanatory-as you conveniently attached.

Sorry, just thought I read something about vague instructions and wondered what you thought was vague. “Genuinely” confused now????

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

is there not a business phone line? I did not find one.

I don't believe so.

Many of the mod companies don't have listed phone numbers.

#10 5 months ago

i'd try a different flash drive, redownload the software and install again. the WPC games are pretty easy to install the colordmd in, and the process is pretty straightforward, other than sometimes the flash drives don't cooperate.

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

Thanks, I did email them. Awaiting a response. I’m not a big email guy-is there not a business phone line? I did not find one.

On Sunday evening?

#12 5 months ago

In his defense, my son got a colorDMD for Christmas for a specific game. However, the game wasn't loaded on it, and the instructions weren't even printed out for it, it was go to such and such website to get them. Now if I'm buying generically, I would expect that as how would they know what software or instructions to give me? But when buying a specific game at $400, adding a 2 page printout and preloading the rom would be appreciated. The product is outstanding, and the website instructions are great, but the actual included ones are basically non-existent.

#13 5 months ago

Game by game instructions are there on their site. Take your time. You will figure it out.

#14 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

Thanks for a genuine response and help. Only thing I noticed was menu had the option of selecting wpc/95, stern etc., but after software was installed, this option was gone.
Will take pic tomorrow. Thanks

That option was just for the single color Sigma ROM. The game specific ROM loads that option and much more with the color animations.

Did you notice if the display was blank or were there animations? If it was not blank, then you may not have loaded the correct ROM. The file should be chroma.rom from this page.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html

#15 5 months ago

#16 5 months ago

Make sure file on USB is named chroma, not chroma(2) or some other derivative.

#17 5 months ago

I had a major fail on the one I installed last week. Working well for a few days on the TZ I am overhauling and turned it on a few days later and POOF, smoke coming out of the Color DMD board. Blown IC. Checked voltages on the rebuilt driver board for the 12V and the 5V and it was normal as well as the power connector going to their board that runs the Color DMD.

Just bought 2 of these Color LED DMD this past September and as a restorer, I was planning to buy more as I have a bunch from this generation in the restoration queue that I was planning on putting these in.

Just heard back from Randy. Sending him the small board in for warranty. Says that 12V cap may have had a spike upon turn on that took it out. Will replace the 12V cap for good measure on the driver board (even though it looks voltage wise well within spec.)

20191229_120719 (resized).jpg
#18 5 months ago

I had to use 3 different USB drives before I got one to work. But then there was no issue.

#19 5 months ago

not sure if this was mentioned. Make sure you use the right format on the usb drive. some do not like ntfs and need to be in fat32.
Just a thought as I have run into that before

#20 5 months ago
Quoted from dmess:

Hello-
Santa brought a color DMD for scared stiff. Followed the vague instructions and installed the code via USB per website. It seemed to upload, as the menu shows it did, but won’t enter game mode and display anything except the menu....
And why in this day and age is their not a phone number to call for support????
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have installed a bunch of ColorDMD's on different version of Williams and Stern pinball machines. The video below shows the installation and rom upgrade of a ColorDMD Bram Stokers Dracula . If you fast forward to 18:55 of the video I show how to upgrade the rom with the USB in the hardware of the ColorDMD. My channel and blog shows the different installation videos of the games if you do a search for them. Good luck.

BSD LED (18:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1134&v=HglnQ6nsoMk&feature=emb_logo

Safe Cracker LED (9:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=650&v=VCi0w7ORgBo&feature=emb_logo

No Good Gophers LCD (12:25)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside