(Topic ID: 178649)

Color DMD in a Gottlieb System 3 .... Sure Can!!

By BillPinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by FlipnFargo
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170429-092418 (resized).png
screenshot.171 (resized).jpg
screenshot.170 (resized).jpg
power cable (resized).jpg
Mean Well RD-65A (resized).jpg
spade connectors (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

We love Color DMDs and one of the last we converted was our Gottlieb Super Mario Brothers. Previously our understanding was that Gottliebs were not supported but considering the same DMD can go in a Gottlieb, Williams, or Data East we figured a Color DMD may work just fine. The display fit just fine so the key was to get the power to it.

Without messing with the boards we decided to add a dual voltage external power supply for the display using the Mean Well RD-65A.

http://tinyurl.com/jzl7urt

We ordered the Color DMD for a Stern WhiteStar machine (the The Simpsons Pinball Party Pinball for example) as it included the long cable to run up to the front of the cab. We cut the connector off with the male pins on the Y.

We crimped on spade connectors,

spade connectors (resized).jpgspade connectors (resized).jpg

and wired it up as follows on the DC side:

Mean Well RD-65A (resized).jpgMean Well RD-65A (resized).jpg

DC voltage side:

+V2 = Grey/Yellow wire (+12v) on Color DMD harness
COM = Black wire (Ground) on Color DMD harness
+V1 = Grey wire (+5v) on Color DMD harness

AC voltage side we bought a regular bare wire power cord and wired as follows:

power cable (resized).jpgpower cable (resized).jpg

L = Black wire
N = White wire
Ground ( -|||) = Green wire

Since Super Marion Brothers is a Gottlieb System 3, there is a second outlet controlled by the game's power switch (outlet closest to the coin door). Plugging the Mean Well into that controlled power outlet we were all set.

Total additional cost beyond the Color DMD, under $40.

As always, proceed at your own risk but we love the look and hope this post is useful to anyone considering a Color DMD for a Gottlieb System 3.

#2 7 years ago

Wow that's neat and looks great. Thanks for sharing the video!

#3 7 years ago

Wow nicely done.

#4 7 years ago

Awesome, I had been wondering if I could put one in a Stargate. If ColorDMD doesn't have plans to officially support Gottliebs, I will definitely go this route.

#5 7 years ago

Good info! Nice to know there's yet another option ...I dont know much about ColorDMD, but can you change the color to something other than green?

EDIT: answered my own question: single-color (SIGMA) and multicolor. The single-color mode can be used with any game and supports 49 different color hues that can be selected through the integrated menu system.

#6 7 years ago

What mode were you running the color DMD on in the video? I always thought "tile mode" would look great on Mario.

#7 7 years ago

I figured it was possible. As always the problem is finding the right voltages. Looks like you did it. Good job.

ColorDMD is really a neat product. If I needed a replacement DMD, even for a machine that isn't supported, I'd get a colorDMD.

I put the LED in my BSD and put it on red first thing. It's better than the original red filter easily.

#8 7 years ago

I plan on trying a LED ColorDMD in Stargate soon.

#9 7 years ago

Nice work. Wish I got the stargate I passed on few months ago now. Damn it was cheap to.

#10 7 years ago

Nice find!
But I think it's not worth the price. You could use a Pin2dmd instead which is half the price with same effects and colorizing to your own taste as an nice addition.

It supports mostly all systems... and stargate was one of the first that were tested.

Here:
https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-Display-Tyche_1?curr=USD

To answer your questions, yes it's my shop, and yes, buying from outside Europe is possible. Just drop me a line here or [email protected]

Greetings,
Dom

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

What mode were you running the color DMD on in the video? I always thought "tile mode" would look great on Mario.

phillymadison - We are running it in the High-Res mode and are absolutely loving it!

3 months later
#12 6 years ago

Well I'll add another Gottlieb Super Mario Bros with a ColorDMD. BillPinball what are you settings set at? I played around with it quite a bit and the only way I could get the Castle (destroy or xtra bl) to show up and Mario at the end of a game (basically the darker colors) was to have it set for
Mount: WPC95
Contrast 1 or 2
Scanline/Highres

screenshot.170 (resized).jpgscreenshot.170 (resized).jpg

screenshot.171 (resized).jpgscreenshot.171 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Well I've played with the settings for several hours, tried several ribbon cables to see if that had any affect on performance. As of right now about 30% of the time the animations show up properly with no shades missing, but the other 70% are incorrect. There are random blips of pixels that show up all randomly as well from time to time. OP had them in his vid as well. I think this is as good as it gets in the current 3.3 Firmware, which IMO isn't all that bad. It's not perfect by any means, but the ability to have a select-a-color screen if pretty slick. Plan on integrating the the Rock Custom interactive undercab light kit as well with this DMD

Screenshot_20170429-092418 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170429-092418 (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

I did one of these in the Stargate for a little over 200 shipped.

1 year later
#15 5 years ago

wipeout is getting a upgrade! thanks for the info guys

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-in-a-gottlieb-system-3-sure-can and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.