CCC4C131-2F30-4BF2-9BEE-569B32098D9C (resized).jpeg
6B369A0B-83D4-465D-B1E9-45E9C42AC611 (resized).jpeg
09177252-89B6-4998-A1E8-979F6A9153C0 (resized).jpeg
20200426_124722 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_124802 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_131522 - Copy (resized).jpg
95CA7F01-71E2-414C-A673-62F4DA8FFBA7.jpeg
2B9DFEFF-CB61-4E50-894D-CBF498288786.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Captain kirk is a playboy so it's gotta be star trek

Dream on.
While hopeful; Star Trek has technical hurdles to solve. something they aren't ready for yet.
I've been working on my own Star Trek colordmd project... I hope to be ready to talk about it in a month or two.

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

what kind of technical hurdles does it have that other games with the same board set do not have?

It was explained in one of the colordmd threads here on pinside that ST has "random" sprites allover the place. As a result; ...and I'm paraphrasing... the existing ColorDMD algorithms and/or checksumming frames have issues. I don't really have any more information ... as I not in the "know". I'm pretty sure there is a real technical issue given that ST was announced years ago... and still hasn't seen the light of day.

Executive summary: Don't hold your breath!

#442 7 years ago

InfiniteLives,
I have faith that Randy is a smart guy... and that he will make an additional attempt to find technical solutions to the issues Star Trek presents. I also continue to "mock ridicule" him every chance I get... just to let him know we still want our promised product... you should do the same.
I know Randy will do the best he can when he looks at it again. Who knows; maybe he's learned something in the later work he's done which may give him the idea he needs to be successful.

4 months later
#968 7 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Amen! From here on out we'll just have to listen to moaning about TWD and Star Trek!

Hey. Star Trek was promised almost TWO years ago... by Dmod (Randy) himself.
So the "moaning" is justified.
TWD - AFAIK; was never committed.

4 months later
2 months later
#1927 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I feel like stern star trek in terms of color dmd is going to end up being our version of a half life 3 joke.

There is so much truth in this statement.

3 months later
#2445 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hoping a Stern title is next. Star Trek would be awesome.

Abandon all hope... that's what I've done.

#2448 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I read someplace that Star Trek was being worked on, but there were technical issues. I don't mind if it takes a little longer as long as it's AWEEEEEESOME when it finally drops,

It's like the last code release for Star Trek. Vaporware until proven otherwise.
I may sound negative... and kinda am... It's just we've been waiting so long... I don't think we are ever going to see a Star Trek Update... much less a ColorDot upgrade.

I pop my head into this thread every once an a while... but never with the hopes that the hints will be Star trek related. I think the only way we'll see a ST ColorDMD hint... is if they've exhausted all other DMD options and there is no other games to do.

#2450 6 years ago

Now Randy is just f...ing with the Star Trek fans. It's a wonder he doesn't try to work a star trek meme into every hint for here on out.

#2452 6 years ago

When 1.61 came out... It was reported that a final polish was in the works. But as we know, Stern has a piss poor track record.

I'm pretty sure it was a ploy to sell out their remaining runs.

3 weeks later
#2612 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Sweet now Zit can stop crying.

Hopefully.
Except for DE Star Trek... but that's a different problem.

#2615 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

#$#@!@@*#@!###$$@@@$$$#@!@#
I will just sit here looking at my All Green fu**ing Ghostbusters LED Color DMD.
Congrats Star Trek owners!

Facebook seems indicated GB is in process... and seemed to indicate they have MORE to announce at the show.

GBclrdmd (resized).pngGBclrdmd (resized).png

#2633 6 years ago

Given the AWESOME news for the Stern Star Trek machines; I'm considering doing another run of ColorDMD adapters.
If you are interested; please add yourself to the waitlist (Red Link at top of page) so I can judge demand. I do not have information on if these fit the Pro model.

#2641 6 years ago

I was just on their site getting an update for STNG so I could do DotsXL...

SIGMA Chroma 3.3 ROM Update (Updated Mar 22, 2017)
3.3: (03/22/17) Added support RGB and RBG LED modules.
3.2: (10/30/16) Added support for Chroma LED and LCD boards. Fixed a bug with RGB control interface, introduced in 3.1.
3.1: (06/02/16) SPIKE support added (BETA release)

--- http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html

Saw something similar on the older board firmware.

#2642 6 years ago

JUST got the email from ColorDMD:

Star Trek is ColorDMD's 66th supported title! Thought to do something different with this release and share a little of the backstory. Hope it's worth the read! -Randy
Captain's Log: Stardate 2015.003

I fear the crew is preparing mutiny. Despite overcoming many challenges during this five year mission, this may be the the first time we find ourselves wholly unprepared. In our attempt to adhere to the prime directive, we have been unable to harness the energy of the red star. We have sent mission after mission, after mission, after (listen... there's really far too many damned missions here) mission. Our best crew. Smart, brave crew. Anyone we can ask... I've asked all of them. It's too daunting. We are overcome. <End Transmission>

Flash back a little more than two years ago and that's what the situation regarding ST looked like. I had foolishly said at the beginning of 2015... hey, we plan on working on Star Trek this year. There were several other games mentioned too, all of which progressed as expected. But the technical challenges in Star Trek turned out to be a surprise. And now I was on the hook.

To be fair, a lot of the fundamental elements needed to tackle Star Trek had already been developed... but we had no formal editor for the new advanced processing features. A lot of this was still being done with pen, paper, and hex editors. Furthermore, the sequences themselves were wholly uncooperative. Very little in the game could simply be colorized offline because the animations were responsive to what was happening beneath the glass on the playfield... That’s pinball!

Factor into that 3-D rendered spaceships and explosions, 18 different gameplay modes, 3 different wizard modes, Vengeance fights, warps, spins, galactic away teams, and on and on. Without realizing the difficulties, I asked Dave Timmer, an experienced ColorDMD developer, to take it on and he was excited to get going. By the middle of the year, after running into endless obstacles with the tools, Dave had managed to color all he could do. We did the only thing we could at the time... take a break and regroup.

The theory was that if tackled games with smaller incremental challenges, in the end that would probably help toward completing Star Trek. Dave (and the rest of the development team) moved on to a number of games that provided new challenges, and I tried to keep up. Over the next two years, we would complete many titles and the coloring engine evolve significantly to the point we thought we could take another stab at Star Trek.

I picked at different sections whenever I could squeeze time between helping to solve issues on other projects. There was progress but slower than I hoped [and I still felt on the hook to find a way to get ST done]. I asked Chris Enright to take over as lead, and I would focus on the remaining technical issues.

Chris started stitching together the foundation that Dave had created along with the pieces I added. I continuously nudged Eric Priepke to help out where he could. Eric had recently completed coloring TWD which was a feat in and of itself. He wanted (or needed) some less daunting challenges and took off on a tear working through WPC games, while filling in some labor intensive bits on ST. Chris asked for help with reference coloring and so I jumped in to provide some anchor points while he controlled the engine to animate the sequences and flag the places where the coloring engine was still falling short.

And this is how it went... we quadruple-teamed ST over a period of 2.5 years to get it done. The heart of it belongs to Chris as he spent the better part of this year pounding through animation after animation in time to show it off for the Chicago Pinball Expo. And it's glorious.

There's really too much animation in this game to show it off in a single preview or even a short video. The crew at Stern did an amazing job with this game. We've never seen anything like it or so difficult to color (although Walking Dead is a close second). We hope we did the team justice, and that you take some time to discover (or rediscover) it all for yourself.

The ColorDMD for Star Trek pinball machines shares the same easy-to-install hardware platform as previous ColorDMD releases. All displays ship with the factory installed SIGMA ROM that supports WPC, WPC95, SAM, Whitestar, and SPIKE platforms. Multicolor operation is enabled through download and installation of a game-specific color ROM file, available from our site. ROMs can be changed at any time, allowing use with any of our supported titles.

Displays are shipping now from our store site or through our distributors. The color ROM for Star Trek pinball machines is targeted for preview at Chicago Expo this week and for public release by Friday, October 13!

For more information, please visit us at www.colordmd.com.

Friday the 13th?! sound ominous. USB stick at the ready!
I'm actually very happy that I've seen some of these screens - That Khan color is awesome ... and the saga behind the development.

#2664 6 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

On my LE there is a blue Shield installed from factory.
you need to buy a clear shield and spacers if you want to install a LCD.
if you want to install an LED you only need the clear shield.

That's likely after market as the stock LE is a Red DMD - not blue.
My Adapter kit includes the clear shield.

#2669 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Just ran through them again.
Answer: None.
Thank you very much! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Wrong.
Everyone would agree that Star Trek was in higher need because it was stated that we'd see color dots in 2015...
GB wasn't even a prototype on the drawing board in 2015.

You opinion / comedy act is not funny.

#2671 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Hey dippy, we're talking post Star Trek's release.
Your lack of understanding is not funny.

Rather than pitching a fit... why don't you color a game.
You seem to have some sense of entitlement so wanted to be clear that you "fake horror" that Ghostbusters (your baby) doesn't yet have color dots rubs me... and others the wrong way. Why don't you wait 3 years like the rest of us.

I don't have a dog in that race... I'm out of games for ColorDMD to color - unless they move to 128x16.
I'm happy ColorDMD is working on GB... but it doesn't deserve any priority over any other games. The color Dot authors set the priority.

#2677 6 years ago

Confirmed.
V1.3A hardware does not take the color dots correctly for Stern Star trek.
The green "done" led comes back on after a power cycle. I suspect either the source file is corrupt... or there is something else going on. It looks to me that some of the animations are missing.

1 year later
#3896 5 years ago

(what... I didn't click the post button twice!)

1 year later
#4391 4 years ago

As a proud support of ColorDMD's product lines... congrats to @dmod and team for completed all the wms/bally titles!
A long road; but a welcome addition to the pinball community.
Now let's see Data East 128x16 support.

5 months later
#4522 3 years ago

All. Lies. DE Star Trek trumps all'ya'lls needs.

3 months later
#4707 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Data East Star Trek.

At much as I want it to be this... Randy like to Torture me... so he'll make me wait until Dec 31 2020 for that title.
That said; I have my 128x16 ColorDMD LED installed; and ready for the color dots mode.

I'm thinking it may not be a 128x16; but something else.

#4743 3 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

The only way KISS is getting done is if someone is able to get someone at Stern to share exact footage that was used. I don’t see it ever getting done unless that happens..

There is a whole lot of complete logic there. Can't argue any point - esp getting Stern to share. It'd have to be a coupe at Stern and they'd want to charge for it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-hint?tu=Zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.