CCC4C131-2F30-4BF2-9BEE-569B32098D9C (resized).jpeg
6B369A0B-83D4-465D-B1E9-45E9C42AC611 (resized).jpeg
09177252-89B6-4998-A1E8-979F6A9153C0 (resized).jpeg
20200426_124722 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_124802 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_131522 - Copy (resized).jpg
95CA7F01-71E2-414C-A673-62F4DA8FFBA7.jpeg
2B9DFEFF-CB61-4E50-894D-CBF498288786.jpeg
There are 5,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 103.
#3851 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Probably just an incomplete capture/color job by whoever worked on that title. Coloring the service menu is a deep rabbit hole I don't even bother with on the titles I do usually.

I completely agree, I have only fully colored one game but I did the sprite modes on another. I thought, oh I can just bang out the service menu, I wasted so much time on and it. In the end just through in the towel and left it the default color. You get so close and then the whole thing just falls apart and makes it much worse. There is just two many variables.

#3852 5 years ago

Real quick looking to buy myself a little Christmas present. If I want to put a color DMD into a TWDLE do I need a clear plastic display or is there already one there? Thanks, Mike

#3853 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Real quick looking to buy myself a little Christmas present. If I want to put a color DMD into a TWDLE do I need a clear plastic display or is there already one there? Thanks, Mike

Needed. TWDs have a red plastic covering the DMD. You need the clear one to see the color. MAKE HASTE, PURCHASE EXPEDITIOUSLY!

#3854 5 years ago

I'm already hungry for the next hint. Ugghh..

#3855 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you have slanted metal speaker panel, then yes.

The only game where it's possible both options is Metallica.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I'M WRONG. PLEASE REFERENCE THE SMART PEOPLE POSTING AFTER THIS POST. Stupid vault editions messing up my definitiveness.

#3856 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The only game where it's possible both options is Metallica.

Spiderman? AC/DC Luci? Iron Man?

All three have old-style speaker panel versions and slanted speaker panel runs later.

#3857 5 years ago

AC/DC vault has a slanted speaker panel and original was wood.

#3858 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Spiderman? AC/DC Luci? Iron Man?
All three have old-style speaker panel versions and slanted speaker panel runs later.

Oh dip. I forgot about vaults.

TWD aint had no vault.

#3859 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh dip. I forgot about vaults.
TWD aint had no vault.

It's not valuable information.

The ONLY reason I know off the top of my head is I had to figure it out because I needed to know what machines might want/need a ColorDMD gasket for LCD installs.

#3860 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Two pics... two DMDs. Strikes N' Spares confirmed.

PINSTYM!!! You're alive!

#3861 5 years ago

2018-12-10 06_53_45-ColorDMD Pinball Displays - Posts - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-12-10 06_53_45-ColorDMD Pinball Displays - Posts - Internet Explorer (resized).png
Looking forward to seeing which one it is.

#3862 5 years ago

What are the odds for KISS now that code is complete?!

#3863 5 years ago

Round out... round ball... NBAFB

#3864 5 years ago

Wheels are round. WoF

#3865 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Don't know about the odds, but would be amazing!!!

#3866 5 years ago

How's this for round...

huricane-transl_b (resized).jpghuricane-transl_b (resized).jpg
#3867 5 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Wheels are round. WoF

But wait pinballs are round... It could be any pin!!!

#3868 5 years ago

I don't think that was meant to be a clue for the next one.

#3869 5 years ago
Screenshot_2018-12-14-06-01-23 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-12-14-06-01-23 (resized).png
#3870 5 years ago

This is huge! That's what she said.

#3871 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Hopefully it will come sometime 2019.

The game is superb with the new code, so just need color dmd to finish it off

#3872 5 years ago

Hoping for Frankenstein! I have a Color DMD in mine ready to go!

#3873 5 years ago

Are they out of the large Sega displays? I don't see Baywatch at all anymore on the site.

#3874 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Are they out of the large Sega displays? I don't see Baywatch at all anymore on the site.

Just go to the X-LED section in their store.

#3875 5 years ago
Quoted from loneranger:

Just go to the X-LED section in their store.

Ah ok. Thanks! Maybe they could also throw Baywatch in the master LED game list so people like me don't miss it!

#3876 5 years ago

Viper Night Driving Awesome!!! ....... wait no?

#3877 5 years ago

Batman Forever is the logical choice.

#3878 5 years ago

Frankenstein is the logical choice.

#3879 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Frankenstein is the logical choice.

It probably is after checking the number of owners as compared to Batman Forever, but Batman Forever is higher rated.

#3880 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It probably is after checking the number of owners as compared to Batman Forever, but Batman Forever is higher rated.

If popularity had anything to do with a game getting colorized...Gilligan's Island, Roller Coaster Tycoon, WHO Dunnit?, Avatar, Flintstones, Godzilla, Popeye, Slugfest, Starship Troopers and WWF Royal Rumble would not have been done already.

I think Frankenstein is the clear choice because of the amazing animations it has.

#3881 5 years ago

"More dots than you can shake a stick at!"

Batman Forever.

Riddler1 (resized).jpgRiddler1 (resized).jpgRiddler2 (resized).jpgRiddler2 (resized).jpgRiddler3 (resized).jpgRiddler3 (resized).jpgRiddler4 (resized).jpgRiddler4 (resized).jpg
#3882 5 years ago

Here's Frankenstein made out of popsicle sticks. This pretty much confirms it.

f62b89be55c59d5841ca9d4c02154835 (resized).jpgf62b89be55c59d5841ca9d4c02154835 (resized).jpg
#3883 5 years ago

No one is guessing Maverick?

#3884 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

No one is guessing Maverick?

Nah. Those clues would have Rockford Files hints.

#3885 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Batman Forever is the logical choice.

I second that.

#3886 5 years ago

Electricity is the Key!

#3887 5 years ago

Dumb question but why are these so high in today's age? TVs are cheaper then ever before, 400 bucks for a tiny lcd seems pricey. I keep buying them of course (just picked up an LED for my Safe Cracker) but could get them for all of my pins if they weren't 400.

#3888 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Dumb question but why are these so high in today's age? TVs are cheaper then ever before, 400 bucks for a tiny lcd seems pricey. I keep buying them of course (just picked up an LED for my Safe Cracker) but could get them for all of my pins if they weren't 400.

It's time consuming to color the games. Plus they have to eat.

#3889 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Labor intensive to color every frame and limited (relatively small) potential sales pool per machine. If they could sell even 5,000 or 10,000 of each one, the price per unit would probably be substantially lower. I'm reasonably certain that they have many titles where they don't break 1000, and probably some where 100 wasn't broken. The price keeps them moving forward in a relatively low-sales market niche.

#3890 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

It is a niche product that probably has about $100 to $150 of materials plus massive time investment per game in coloring, plus tech design time, plus low sales numbers because of the limited to pinball use as compared to tvs. I don’t begrudge someone a decent profit as long as the product is something special that I want that is not easily made by someone else cheaper.

There are several mods in pinball that I believe are overpriced because a cheaper alternative would be easy, but this mod is not easy to do so it does not meet that criteria.

#3891 5 years ago

Can anyone explain as to why the lcd panels have to be larger in size? Also why can’t they be used in the larger Sega displays?

Not knocking the company, I have one on each of my pins and love them.

#3892 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Can anyone explain as to why the lcd panels have to be larger in size? Also why can’t they be used in the larger Sega displays?
Not knocking the company, I have one on each of my pins and love them.

Assuming it's less expensive buying off-the-shelf rather than having custom LCD sizes created. With the number they sell, it makes no sense to spend more having custom sizes made for the LCDs (and may not be financially possible...)

#3893 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

IMHO, same reason pinstadium lights are so expensive. Because they have no (or very little) competition. I guess there’s another color lcd dmd replacement, but I’ve never used it and heard it’s not as user friendly.

I took an economics 101 class in college as an elective and very first day the instructor asked how do you decide how much to charge for a product? Many wrong answers were given about supply costs, labor costs, distribution costs, profit margins, etc. then the instructor told us the real answer is “you charge what people are willing to pay for it”. That lesson has stuck with me for 30+ years.

#3895 5 years ago

Yes!!!!

#3896 5 years ago

(what... I didn't click the post button twice!)

#3897 5 years ago

Can you switch color DMDs between machines? If I got one for my ST Pro, and then later on traded my ST Pro for a GOT Pro, could I switch the color DMD? What about a Jurassic Park or a LOTR? Just wanted to know how interchangeable these are.

Thanks!

#3898 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can you switch color DMDs between machines? If I got one for my ST Pro, and then later on traded my ST Pro for a GOT Pro, could I switch the color DMD? What about a Jurassic Park or a LOTR? Just wanted to know how interchangeable these are.

The short answer is yes, you can switch.
Long answer... Switching between machines using the same boardset is very easy. It's just a matter of re-flashing the dmd with the color file for the game. Switching between say a Stern to a Williams or DE is not hard but you will have to get the cables for that system from colordmd.com or make some yourself. I think even if you go from a Stern SAM system to Spike system you will need some different cables.

#3899 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks!

Yes. Interchangeable. Are you thinking of getting a LED or LCD display?

You would need the spike power adapter to move from ST to GOT and possibly the clear shield and the Mounting Standoffs for New Stern Cabinets if ST does not already use those. ST and GOT both can fit a LED and LCD.

JP is only officially supported as a LED display but many have installed the LCD. The LED display will be an easy move from ST to JP. Edit. You also need a power tap for the JP. http://shop.colordmd.com/data-east-power-adapter/

The LCD and LED both would be easy moves from ST to LOTR.

3 weeks later
#3900 5 years ago

Hoping for some new hints next week.

There are 5,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-hint/page/78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.