CCC4C131-2F30-4BF2-9BEE-569B32098D9C (resized).jpeg
6B369A0B-83D4-465D-B1E9-45E9C42AC611 (resized).jpeg
09177252-89B6-4998-A1E8-979F6A9153C0 (resized).jpeg
20200426_124722 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_124802 - Copy (resized).jpg
20200426_131522 - Copy (resized).jpg
95CA7F01-71E2-414C-A673-62F4DA8FFBA7.jpeg
2B9DFEFF-CB61-4E50-894D-CBF498288786.jpeg
There are 5,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 103.
#3501 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

I wonder if im on a different mailing list...mine had a typo as game 67...

#3502 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

I wonder if im on a different mailing list...mine had a typo as game 67...

lol just a typo, I received it as well. Game 67 and "Size Does Matter!" was from Godzilla.

#3503 5 years ago

Hi guys I need some help. Just installed a colordmd in my Jackbot and now the trough optos don't work, it's a known issue. I want to power the dmd with a 2 amp 12v wall wart and need to know which of the 3 wires are +. - and ground and do I need a ground wire if using a wall wart? Thanks

IMGA0744 (resized).JPGIMGA0744 (resized).JPG
#3504 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hi guys I need some help. Just installed a colordmd in my Jackbot and now the trough optos don't work, it's a known issue. I want to power the dmd with a 2 amp 12v wall wart and need to know which of the 3 wires are +. - and ground and do I need a ground wire if using a wall wart? Thanks
[quoted image]

Mmmm...did you clean the optos (send and receiver) and check the power level supplied to them without a ColorDMD at all? Usually it's just that the power supply needs to be rebuilt because the opto power is right on the edge and the little bit the colordmd takes pushes it over the edge. Cleaning the optos and/or rebuilding the power supply if the power is on the low side should fix your problem and is preferable to introducing a wall wart.

Do you have other mods that draw power in the machine?

#3505 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I want to power the dmd with a 2 amp 12v wall wart and need to know which of the 3 wires are +. - and ground and do I need a ground wire if using a wall wart? Thanks
[quoted image]

+ And - should be just fine. If there's a ground strap available(from the old display) mount that on the colordmd chassis

Yellow is 12vdc
Gray is 5vdc
Black is negative

#3506 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Mmmm...did you clean the optos (send and receiver) and check the power level supplied to them without a ColorDMD at all? Usually it's just that the power supply needs to be rebuilt because the opto power is right on the edge and the little bit the colordmd takes pushes it over the edge. Cleaning the optos and/or rebuilding the power supply if the power is on the low side should fix your problem and is preferable to introducing a wall wart.
Do you have other mods that draw power in the machine?

The optos were cleaned a few months ago so that's not the problem, I have an OCD and a GI OCD on the game, nothing else is drawing power from the board. The game worked perfect before I put the colordmd on that's why I just put a wall wart on it. With all led in the game I should be drawing a lot less through the board.

#3507 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

+ And - should be just fine. If there's a ground strap available(from the old display) mount that on the colordmd chassis
Yellow is 12vdc
Gray is 5vdc
Black is negative

Thanks Scotty, that's what I needed to know. Why is there a 5v on it? The dmd is 12v right.

#3508 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The optos were cleaned a few months ago so that's not the problem, I have an OCD and a GI OCD on the game, nothing else is drawing power from the board. The game worked perfect before I put the colordmd on that's why I just put a wall wart on it. With all led in the game I should be drawing a lot less through the board.

Yeah, but did you check the power lead that the ColorDMD was going to use BEFORE the colorDMD was plugged into it? As those machines age, it's not uncommon for them to fade in the amount of actual power vs their rated power. And if that connector was right on the edge with just enough to drive the Optos, adding the ColorDMD to it would push it over the edge, making the optos not work. You should at least measure the power there, because if it's on the edge, the optos will fail in the future anyway as that eventually fails to deliver even the minimum power to drive them.

#3509 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks Scotty, that's what I needed to know. Why is there a 5v on it? The dmd is 12v right.

Not really sure why the 5V. But I only use the +12V and - connections and have never had issues.

#3510 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

[quoted image]

On your power driver board, TP1 should be 13v or higher, if not is LED7 lit? F116 blown?

#3511 5 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Not really sure why the 5V. But I only use the +12V and - connections and have never had issues.

I believe the 5 volts is for the USB which is needed for software updates.

#3512 5 years ago

On the Chroma boards, only 12V is used. The 5V for USB is generated locally.

As others have stated, it is not normal for the trough optos to fail when the ColorDMD is connected. Sounds like an issue with the unregulated 12V supply (bridge rectifier plus capacitor) on the power driver board.

Check the voltage at the trough with/without the ColorDMD connected. Should remain over 12.5V with the ColorDMD connected.

#3513 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

On your power driver board, TP1 should be 13v or higher, if not is LED7 lit? F116 blown?

TP 1 is 13.78v, LED 7 constant lit and F116 fuse is good. Next will check trough opto.

#3514 5 years ago

Would have been a good clue.....

Slugs (resized).jpgSlugs (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3515 5 years ago

Is ColorDMD really waiting for a code update for GB before releasing the software for the Displays ? For me it would fit to have a pre release for the actual code
What do the others think, it could help to come thru the summer time, right

#3516 5 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

Is ColorDMD really waiting for a code update for GB before releasing the software for the Displays ?

If so, we will never going to see GB in color... Stern will be delaying GB update forever or until they are bankrupt.

#3517 5 years ago

Yep we need GB. I will not buy another ColoDMD before GB is done....

#3518 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I will not buy another ColoDMD before GB is done....

Agreed! Wait do new sterns count as colordmd, because Doh!

2 weeks later
#3519 5 years ago

It's been a month..I'm jones'n for a game 80 clue! Help me out Color DMD!

#3520 5 years ago

I agree. Bring on Mustang!

#3521 5 years ago

Rolling Stones!

#3523 5 years ago

Face it....new code for Kiss is never coming so may as well move it to the head of the line

#3524 5 years ago

Same for GB, code for what is there and release.

#3525 5 years ago

Hmmm ... Trudeau designed Stern games curse?

#3526 5 years ago

NBA Fastbreak that is

2 weeks later
#3527 5 years ago

It has been a while since the last ColorDMD announcement.

#3528 5 years ago

Color display for mustang please.

#3529 5 years ago

GB PLease

#3530 5 years ago

I owned a lethal weapon 3 for near 20 years and sold it to a friend. My friend is going to sell it soon. My bet is that lethal weapon 3 will come out shorty after. All in the timing.

#3531 5 years ago

Hurricane eventually would be nice.

#3532 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hurricane eventually would be nice.

Oh that's right - Hurricane. I was running down the list of not done yet WMS stuff at league on Saturday and came up one short. It was Hurricane.

Er, uh ... sorry bro.

#3533 5 years ago

Damn you all..7 new posts i thought we had a new clue!

#3534 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Damn you all..7 new posts i thought we had a new clue!

You didn't catch that clue?

#3535 5 years ago

Capcom

#3536 5 years ago

It's Batman Forever. Good clues, but quite obvious this time.

#3537 5 years ago

Will be nice to see "Who Dunnit" in color at some point. The dots and sound in that one are great.
"Goldeneye" would be fun to see added to the color list too.

#3538 5 years ago

Would be nice to click on this page and see some actual hints.

#3539 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Would be nice to click on this page and see some actual hints.

What's black and white and red all over?

#3540 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A newspaper?

#3541 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A sunburnt zebra

#3542 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Centaur?

#3543 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Red all over? The current game in beta, according to the guy testing it.

1 week later
#3544 5 years ago

Rolling Stones please ! There has gotta be at least 2 of us that want it !

Mick_Jagger (resized).jpgMick_Jagger (resized).jpg
#3545 5 years ago

Yes - Rolling Stones next!

#3546 5 years ago

Are we just waiting for a couple to be revealed for Expo at this point?

#3547 5 years ago

I claim false advertising..The facebook page says new releases every month...It has been more than a month since the last release.

#3548 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

I claim false advertising..The facebook page says new releases every month...It has been more than a month since the last release.

Maybe that’s the clue and the next game is Who done it?

#3549 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

It has been more than a month since the last release.

Slugfest August 1. Pretty soon you can say 2 months.

#3550 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Slugfest August 1. Pretty soon you can say 2 months.

Slugfest was announced on July 26 so it has been almost two months since an announcement and that was not even a standard pinball machine.

July 13 was the last ColorDMD announcement for a real/standard pinball machine.

There are 5,122 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-hint/page/71?hl=jim-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.