New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150879)

Color DMD Hints

By TopMoose

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,764 posts
  • 426 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 minutes ago by TopMoose
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 544 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 9.26.26 AM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
E6ABA14A-761D-40BD-9825-AB56CDF2737B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20201014-212950_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201012-231637_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
TMNT (resized).jpg
17e853ba8a3bca3cf74d1dd283b0c45b--pretzels-star-trek (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.37.35 AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20200913-211041_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
20200913_145102 (resized).jpg
20200913_145131 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200831-070424_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

There are 4764 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 96.
#2602 3 years ago

Yeah i need to decide if lcd or led. I think i like the lcd better on most titles. Ill wait for some footage before I pull the trigger

#2603 3 years ago

Who else just went to the ColorDMD store and checked everything to see if Randy slipped anything else by us

ColorDMDST (resized).jpg

#2604 3 years ago

They got my money. Can't wait for this. Now bring on GB and then I'm finally done, hahaha.

#2605 3 years ago

Ordered! Will be nice to see Star Trek in Color! Thanks for all the hard work on this! Agree with Zucot, bring on GB!!!

#2606 3 years ago

Awesome!!
Now it just figures that I just had a shed built, my accountant was just indicted on 44 counts and I mailed the check to the IRS this morning for a few grand, and a few other unexpected expenses hit me in the past few weeks.....O well, time to sell a kidney...

#2607 3 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Yeah i need to decide if lcd or led. I think i like the lcd better on most titles. Ill wait for some footage before I pull the trigger

The only cases I would ever use the LED over LCD is when the LCD doesn't fit.

#2608 3 years ago

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW JEAH!!!! I am BOLDLY GOING... to buy another COLOR DMD it's looking like!

#2610 3 years ago

Bring on the preview already!!

HOLY F#($#K STAR TREK!!1!

Just for you epthegeek

#2611 3 years ago

wooohooooo! thanks guys!! last of my stern line up that needed color!

order placed!! you guys rock!!

#2612 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Sweet now Zit can stop crying.

Hopefully.
Except for DE Star Trek... but that's a different problem.

#2613 3 years ago

WOOOO hooooo! Congrats, Star Trek owners!
Years of grumbling have ended at last! (But I'm sure the void will be filled soon.)

#2614 3 years ago

#$#@!@@*#@!###$$@@@$$$#@!@#

I will just sit here looking at my All Green fu**ing Ghostbusters LED Color DMD.

Congrats Star Trek owners!

2017-10-09-15-34-56- (resized).jpg

#2615 3 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

#$#@!@@*#@!###$$@@@$$$#@!@#
I will just sit here looking at my All Green fu**ing Ghostbusters LED Color DMD.
Congrats Star Trek owners!

Facebook seems indicated GB is in process... and seemed to indicate they have MORE to announce at the show.

GBclrdmd (resized).png

#2616 3 years ago

butwaittheresmore (resized).jpg

#2617 3 years ago

Double you see ess ninety-four!

#2618 3 years ago

I have a happy ghost picture I will release when my Ghostbusters displays another color besides green.

#2619 3 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I have a happy ghost picture I will release when my Ghostbusters displays another color besides green.

I can show you how to set it to purple. Need a happy ghost.

#2620 3 years ago

Well played gentlemen!

You need a minimum of two colors to get a happy ghost. Already a very happy customer. All of my pins have color DMD's

#2621 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Who else just went to the ColorDMD store and checked everything to see if Randy slipped anything else by us

Problem is that they don't know if it will work on all models of Star Trek
I just asked them and it has only been tested on a Premium.

#2622 3 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Problem is that they don't know if it will work on all models of Star Trek
I just asked them and it has only been tested on a Premium.

Generally the pro models are just lacking some things, so there's LESS graphics -- usually if it works on the premium it's fine on the pro. But it's ColorDMD. If anything turns up that isn't coloring right, it'll get fixed.

#2623 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Generally the pro models are just lacking some things, so there's LESS graphics -- usually if it works on the premium it's fine on the pro. But it's ColorDMD. If anything turns up that isn't coloring right, it'll get fixed.

Cool, thanks.

#2624 3 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Well played gentlemen!
You need a minimum of two colors to get a happy ghost. Already a very happy customer. All of my pins have color DMD's

Gotta work to make sure you'll (all) be pleased, and it definitely will have more than two colors. But you'll have to wait for the rest I'd tease if I could, but...

#2625 3 years ago

What is better - LCD or LED display?

#2626 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I personally prefer LCD running DOSTXL, but you'll get all sorts of comments on either side of this one.......

#2627 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I would suggest the LCD for most games, but some look nice with LED. For example, I strongly prefer LED on BSD--I believe this is partially due to having a lot of LED GI on this one that blends really well with that DMD. I went LED on Judge Dredd figuring I'd like it in a similar age game, but in retrospect I would have preferred LCD in that game (high res. suits the comic theme on it better IMO). My MET and TWD got LCDs and I was happy with that decision on both. I have yet to own a game with movie clips (Iron Man/Transformers), but have seen both versions installed at shows and would have a hard time picking between them--they both look great on those games (LCD would be set to dots anyway as the video clips look odd with high res, etc.).

#2628 3 years ago

LED is how the technology would have looked had the DMD screen evolved.

#2629 3 years ago

I've posted this a few times, but I'm going to do it again -- for Stern games, especially spike, the LCD will give you a lot better contrast. Spike uses 16 levels of brightness. On an LCD, those are 16 distinct levels. With the LEDs, the dimmer it gets, the less differentiation there is between the brightness levels -- it's not a straight ramp. So you loose detail on the darker bits.

#2630 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

LCD for me. I use scan or hi res for all my titles.

#2631 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

LCD for me. I use scan or hi res for all my titles.

Me too. Creech was the only game I thought looked best in dotsxl and I no longer have creech .

#2632 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Creech was the only game I thought looked best in dotsxl and I no longer have creech .

LCD and DotsXL is my preferred choice on all seven Stern games I currently have colorDMDs installed in.

#2633 3 years ago

Given the AWESOME news for the Stern Star Trek machines; I'm considering doing another run of ColorDMD adapters.
If you are interested; please add yourself to the waitlist (Red Link at top of page) so I can judge demand. I do not have information on if these fit the Pro model.

#2634 3 years ago

I have LED in all my games and love it much more over lcd. But they are all BW 90's.
I had lcd in Spiderman and Iron Man vault and it looked good and a Friend has it in Simpsons and it also looks good.

#2635 3 years ago

I have LCD in 7 machines. They all look great. I prefer hi res for all of the titles except Family Guy and Creature. Dots look better on these two titles as some of the graphics appear "blurry" with hi res. I'd like to see LED on Creature as I think it would really pop. I can't wait for Austin Powers to be done. I think that one will be awesome.

#2636 3 years ago

F'in awesome, bravo guys for getting this title done!

Finally the last thing I need for my STLE - early xmas present from me, to me

#2637 3 years ago

Yesssssssss! Finally. How long does it usually take after it's announced?

#2638 3 years ago

One Question to the Color DMD Team and the Pinside Community.

Can someone tell me where to buy the needed spacers for Sterns new Speakerpanel in Europe?

My ACDC Premium Vault is on the way and needs this spacers for the LCD Panel.

Thank you

#2639 3 years ago

How do you know if you need the speaker Shields or not on the star trek, I have a premium version, On the color DMD website it asks if I want to add it for $24 or not

#2640 3 years ago

Can I put a ColorDMD in GB and set it to green? Which version should you buy as I do not see a Spike version on the website?

#2641 3 years ago

I was just on their site getting an update for STNG so I could do DotsXL...

SIGMA Chroma 3.3 ROM Update (Updated Mar 22, 2017)
3.3: (03/22/17) Added support RGB and RBG LED modules.
3.2: (10/30/16) Added support for Chroma LED and LCD boards. Fixed a bug with RGB control interface, introduced in 3.1.
3.1: (06/02/16) SPIKE support added (BETA release)

--- http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html

Saw something similar on the older board firmware.

#2642 3 years ago

JUST got the email from ColorDMD:

Star Trek is ColorDMD's 66th supported title! Thought to do something different with this release and share a little of the backstory. Hope it's worth the read! -Randy
Captain's Log: Stardate 2015.003

I fear the crew is preparing mutiny. Despite overcoming many challenges during this five year mission, this may be the the first time we find ourselves wholly unprepared. In our attempt to adhere to the prime directive, we have been unable to harness the energy of the red star. We have sent mission after mission, after mission, after (listen... there's really far too many damned missions here) mission. Our best crew. Smart, brave crew. Anyone we can ask... I've asked all of them. It's too daunting. We are overcome. <End Transmission>

Flash back a little more than two years ago and that's what the situation regarding ST looked like. I had foolishly said at the beginning of 2015... hey, we plan on working on Star Trek this year. There were several other games mentioned too, all of which progressed as expected. But the technical challenges in Star Trek turned out to be a surprise. And now I was on the hook.

To be fair, a lot of the fundamental elements needed to tackle Star Trek had already been developed... but we had no formal editor for the new advanced processing features. A lot of this was still being done with pen, paper, and hex editors. Furthermore, the sequences themselves were wholly uncooperative. Very little in the game could simply be colorized offline because the animations were responsive to what was happening beneath the glass on the playfield... That’s pinball!

Factor into that 3-D rendered spaceships and explosions, 18 different gameplay modes, 3 different wizard modes, Vengeance fights, warps, spins, galactic away teams, and on and on. Without realizing the difficulties, I asked Dave Timmer, an experienced ColorDMD developer, to take it on and he was excited to get going. By the middle of the year, after running into endless obstacles with the tools, Dave had managed to color all he could do. We did the only thing we could at the time... take a break and regroup.

The theory was that if tackled games with smaller incremental challenges, in the end that would probably help toward completing Star Trek. Dave (and the rest of the development team) moved on to a number of games that provided new challenges, and I tried to keep up. Over the next two years, we would complete many titles and the coloring engine evolve significantly to the point we thought we could take another stab at Star Trek.

I picked at different sections whenever I could squeeze time between helping to solve issues on other projects. There was progress but slower than I hoped [and I still felt on the hook to find a way to get ST done]. I asked Chris Enright to take over as lead, and I would focus on the remaining technical issues.

Chris started stitching together the foundation that Dave had created along with the pieces I added. I continuously nudged Eric Priepke to help out where he could. Eric had recently completed coloring TWD which was a feat in and of itself. He wanted (or needed) some less daunting challenges and took off on a tear working through WPC games, while filling in some labor intensive bits on ST. Chris asked for help with reference coloring and so I jumped in to provide some anchor points while he controlled the engine to animate the sequences and flag the places where the coloring engine was still falling short.

And this is how it went... we quadruple-teamed ST over a period of 2.5 years to get it done. The heart of it belongs to Chris as he spent the better part of this year pounding through animation after animation in time to show it off for the Chicago Pinball Expo. And it's glorious.

There's really too much animation in this game to show it off in a single preview or even a short video. The crew at Stern did an amazing job with this game. We've never seen anything like it or so difficult to color (although Walking Dead is a close second). We hope we did the team justice, and that you take some time to discover (or rediscover) it all for yourself.

The ColorDMD for Star Trek pinball machines shares the same easy-to-install hardware platform as previous ColorDMD releases. All displays ship with the factory installed SIGMA ROM that supports WPC, WPC95, SAM, Whitestar, and SPIKE platforms. Multicolor operation is enabled through download and installation of a game-specific color ROM file, available from our site. ROMs can be changed at any time, allowing use with any of our supported titles.

Displays are shipping now from our store site or through our distributors. The color ROM for Star Trek pinball machines is targeted for preview at Chicago Expo this week and for public release by Friday, October 13!

For more information, please visit us at www.colordmd.com.

Friday the 13th?! sound ominous. USB stick at the ready!
I'm actually very happy that I've seen some of these screens - That Khan color is awesome ... and the saga behind the development.

#2643 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

JUST got the email from ColorDMD:

Friday the 13th?! sound ominous. USB stick at the ready!
I'm actually very happy that I've seen some of these screens - That Khan color is awesome ... and the saga behind the development.

Zitt, time to get cracking on your MDF STLE color dmd plate! I signed up on your site to be notified. Your set up best protects the color dmd and prevents light bleed. I’m in...

#2644 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I've posted this a few times, but I'm going to do it again -- for Stern games, especially spike, the LCD will give you a lot better contrast. Spike uses 16 levels of brightness. On an LCD, those are 16 distinct levels. With the LEDs, the dimmer it gets, the less differentiation there is between the brightness levels -- it's not a straight ramp. So you loose detail on the darker bits.

When Spike games get done, how are LCD going to fit in the metal panel without a huge gap ? I would prefer LCD but at least LED will fit properly?

And will KISS get done after the final update?

#2645 3 years ago
Quoted from pballjunkie:

How do you know if you need the speaker Shields or not on the star trek, I have a premium version, On the color DMD website it asks if I want to add it for $24 or not

On my LE there is a blue Shield installed from factory.
you need to buy a clear shield and spacers if you want to install a LCD.
if you want to install an LED you only need the clear shield.

#2646 3 years ago

WCS and Godzilla are also previewed next week in Beta. See their facebook post.

#2647 3 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

One Question to the Color DMD Team and the Pinside Community.
Can someone tell me where to buy the needed spacers for Sterns new Speakerpanel in Europe?
My ACDC Premium Vault is on the way and needs this spacers for the LCD Panel.
Thank you

The spacers are just a set of hex standoffs and some washers. You should be able to find them from hardware suppliers in Europe. The specs for the parts are listed within the product page in our store site: http://shop.colordmd.com/mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/

#2648 3 years ago

Wcs!!!

#2649 3 years ago

Will this ROM “fingers crossed” work on the older LCD displays? Some games are too big for the smaller amount of memory.

#2650 3 years ago

Just a joke people. Sad about Ghostbusters not going into color yet. Wow! Tough Crowd.

No problem. Thank you Color DMD do not want to come across as unappreciative. Huge fan of your products.

One day the ghost will dry his tears.

2017-10-11-07-05-33- (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stevenson Ranch, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 4764 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 96.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside