Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by scampcamp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have the DMD installed & it looks great but I am wondering about some glitchy areas on the top at times. I attached a short YouTube video. Is there something wrong or something I can do? Thank you

#2 2 years ago

Yeah that seems weird. I would contact colordmd. Their customer support is awesome. Even if the problem isn't with the colordmd, they give help on what to look for.

#3 2 years ago

I would reach out to Randy at Color DMD... The customer service of this company is beyond reproach!
Looks great beside the small glitch!

#4 2 years ago

I had my sttng going all white for a second then back to color- ended up being the display driver, color dmd helped me with that.... swap your display driver between t2 and twighlight zone and see if that helps, looks like it could be a ribbon cable maybe too.

#5 2 years ago

Have you reseated the ribbon cable going to the ColorDMD? Both ends?

Ah, a second too late

#6 2 years ago

The missing/glitchy dots are a problem with the signal coming from the WPC DMD controller to the ColorDMD. The ColorDMD doesn't create dots. It just superimposes color on them. If you have glitches like that it means that the signal coming to the ColorDMD is distorted.

The errored dots are also interfering with the ColorDMD's recognition of some frames which is why the display is turning white, the default color for TZ.

Put the game in display test mode and run a video test. This will check writes/reads to the video RAM. If the RAM test fails, there it could be a poor ribbon cable connection from the MPU to the WPC DMD controller or the video RAM chip itself.

Reseat the wide ribbon cables that run from the MPU to the WPC DMD controller. Make sure they are aligned properly with no bent pins.

#7 2 years ago

It's looking great now!! You we're correct.... I re-seated the ribbon cable. This is my favorite mod. Makes everything pop.

#8 2 years ago

Would you mind marking this thread as resolved? That way anyone with a similar issue in the future can see known fixes.

#9 2 years ago

I guess re-seating the ribbon cable is not making the glitch go. It works for a few minutes but then it comes back. Do you think I just need a new cable? The pins look good on the board.

I also noticed some things are in color & some are not...... I noticed the things that are.... slot machine, robot. Things that are not color.... talking Tina... the thing that rolls the ball & some other things.

#10 2 years ago

You could try a new set of ribbon cables or swapping cables with another game to see if there's any change in behavior. You might also have a cold solder joint on one of the pins of the ribbon cable.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I guess re-seating the ribbon cable is not making the glitch go. It works for a few minutes but then it comes back. Do you think I just need a new cable? The pins look good on the board.

Which ribbon cable did you reseat? The 2 connector or the 4 connector ribbon cable at the MPU? Even games with a regular DMD that I run into with animation problems mostly been the 4 connector ribbon cable, which runs from the left MPU connector to the Fliptronix board to the sound board to the DMD controller board. As Randy mentioned trying swapping ribbon cables to another game. Reseating ribbon cables can temporarily work ok and may still need to be replaced.

#12 2 years ago

Have you done a video test in the diagnostics? I had a very similar issue, after running a full test the machine kicked out a Ram failure on the Dmd controller board. You have to let the test run all the way through, it does the Ram test at the very end.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Have you done a video test in the diagnostics? I had a very similar issue, after running a full test the machine kicked out a Ram failure on the Dmd controller board. You have to let the test run all the way through, it does the Ram test at the very end.

Is this the usual display test or something I do with the buttons on the color DMD? I did the display test through the TZ main display test.... everything looks good & RAM says OK.

I reseated the other ribbon cables.... played a quick game before work & the glitchy stuff is gone but didn't get to where Talking Tina to see if she was color yet. Thanks for the posts.

#14 2 years ago

No it's in the video test on the machine, like where you test switches etc. Look in the manual in the test section it should tell you which one is the video. The video test runs dot line tests vertically and horizontally, just let it run all the way through those tests and see what it says when it gets through the RAM test.

#15 2 years ago

Everything tested good. I ordered a set of ribbon cables from PinballplusMN which should fix the issues. He said it would be a good idea to change them anyway because of their age.

I hope it didn't come across like I thought the Color DMD was faulty. It's a great product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 16.00
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
8,190 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 30.00
Machine - For Sale
Nanuet, NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside