New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 103298)

Color DMD announces next title!

By iwantansi

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

colordmd_acdc.png
acdc-color-compare.gif
image-895.jpg
image.jpg
eb2.gif
11029481_1011811882181134_6660999426907850475_n.png
IMG_2095 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2094 - Copy.JPG
93cf6368-135e-4876-a583-6197a52ec223.png
l2.jpg
l1.jpeg
71771-that-belongs-in-a-museum-gif-I-UqaM.gif
AExZB6I.gif
frog.jpg

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 6 years ago

i installed one in CFTBL, im experiencing some random missed detail with some of the animations?
anyone have any similar issues? or fix? cables and plugs all seated good, ground wire is on.

4 months later
#203 5 years ago

TERMINATOR 2!!!

#204 5 years ago
#205 5 years ago

While this would be cool...Im not sure it really has all that much going on where it would be worth it.

#206 5 years ago

has there been any talk of Capcom games getting colorized? Pinball Magic would look sweet in color.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is a shame Stern is not putting in ColorDMD into the Premium/LE machines going out the door.

Absolutely. If they are going to charge JJP prices for their LE's a ColorDMD should be included.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

While this would be cool...Im not sure it really has all that much going on where it would be worth it.

That's for the 15,000 T2 owners to decide.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I think it would be totally worth it. And I am pretty sure all the T2 people would buy one for it.

#210 5 years ago

I would rather a new rule set with new or more animations in conjunction with this.

#211 5 years ago

STLE. Please

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I've decided that I want one if it ever happens...........Joey

#213 5 years ago

Every time this thread pops back up I think "Oo! What is it?" and then it's just you guys dreaming.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Every time this thread pops back up I think "Oo! What is it?" and then it's just you guys dreaming.

And there it is ... (on Facebook)

11029481_1011811882181134_6660999426907850475_n.png

#215 5 years ago

It's looking quite awesome as well. Tons of great dots on this game.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

It's looking quite awesome as well. Tons of great dots on this game.

I'm calling it right now, Metallica is going to be the best looking ColorDMD yet.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm calling it right now, Metallica is going to be the best looking ColorDMD yet.

I'm betting the Shadow will be.

#218 5 years ago

Anyone and everyone know my love for The Shadow. Most under-appreciated brilliant game ever? Possibly! But even I have to admit the dots on Metallica are superb. Might even be one of the best ever. And it's going to look so killer in color. ACDC? Pffffftttttt. Bring on Metallica!!

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I agree!
eb2.gif

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Until someone makes Lesure suit Larry. Al Lowe would do it

#221 5 years ago

Metallica has some sick animations. Im really excited for this one. No idea why stern hasn't partnered with these guys so we can have colour right away ffs.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

X-Men will be the best ever IMHO...

#223 5 years ago

Ok I will say it,with all due respect with so many popular games yet to be done why waste your resources on a game that your competition is already doing???

#224 5 years ago

Because many of us want to spend our money here!

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

Ok I will say it,with all due respect with so many popular games yet to be done why waste your resources on a game that your competition is already doing???

As a consumer, I would like to see competition. Competition keeps prices in check.

Admittedly, I own more than 15 ColorDMD displays. ColorDMD has a proven track record of being a simple & clean install and, in my experience, the product has been bullet-proof. Mike D's product advertises a lot of end-user customization capabilities, and his business model promises a site where user-contributed colorization files could be shared.

Maybe there's room for both products in the market. Maybe what we have the beginning of here is IOS vs Android. One is very conforming and the other offers a higher degree of personalization. Or as both products continue to evolve it may be more like comparing Xbox vs Playstation, meaning that the hardware and power arguments are not relevant.

It was bound to happen that there would be overlap on the titles colorized. Now we have our first example. Disclaimer: as of this post, neither manufacturer's product has been released yet.

The landscape is sure to change over the next 24 months, however, right now calling Mike D's product 'competition' to ColorDMD is like ..... well..... calling JJP competition to Stern.

-Brian

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

While there are a number of reasons, not the least of which is covering as many games as possible, one reason would stand for potential operators. It has been stated that SDMD will only work on the Free Play setting, while CDMD can be used at home or with a machine that is out and earning on route. Many CDMDs end up in games on location and would be a wasted investment if their operators couldn't have the game earning while also having color.

#227 5 years ago

It is a shame Stern is not putting in ColorDMD into the Premium/LE machines going out the door.

Could you imagine the cost if they did?
I think we already pay way too much for what we get in LE's!

#228 5 years ago

I want AC/DC, Metallica and Tron......make it happen

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Could you imagine the cost if they did?
I think we already pay way too much for what we get in LE's!

Then they should offer a lesser price on a shipped LE without their DMD then and throw us a bone!

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

I'll stick with ColorDMD despite the slightly higher price. The product has been solid. The support fantastic. And the install plug and play, with a simple USB stick firmware upgrade process. No mucking with Windows and Pinball Browser. Time is limited and I'd rather not waste mine on the install work needed for PMD.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

ColorDMD and SmartDMD aren't the same product. They have different technical specs and abilities, they're not going to look the same. So keep that in mind.

But beyond that, why would ColorDMD, who's been reliably serving the community with colorized games all this time, finally get SAM capability and then just walk away because a newcomer is going to try and do it?

I'm not smearing Mike here, or his product, to be clear. Make your own choice. Just saying it makes no sense for ColorDMD to skip a game like ACDC because of another company stepping into the arena.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

All three confirmed in the works already.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Darth_Chris said:
All three confirmed in the works already

Is that an official announcement from ColorDMD?

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

They are different products with different features, looks and/or quality. The more options the better in my opinion.

#234 5 years ago

More importantly if they dont then they will be dictated by their competition and that's bad business. As I said above I plan on buying color dmds for all my games. If they put the brakes on, sales will falter as folks will wait to see who does what vs plow forward and capture the market. Additionally they will be winning over those that already bought theirs in hopes of more titles. This will also keep sales alive with past customers.

#235 5 years ago

Is that an official announcement from ColorDMD?

Randy already said as much in his 2015 news announcement a while back:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2015#post-2148980

It's going to be a busy year!

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Randy already said as much in his 2015 news announcement a while back:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2015#post-2148980
It's going to be a busy year!

Oh yeah, I had been keeping up. I look forward to seeing color in my TZ soon!!

#237 5 years ago

Randy also has a Jurassic Park in his collection. Oh, I am so behind on getting my JP project up and running/shopped out. I bet he will have color ROM released for it before I finish up my project. That would be a good motivating factor too.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

This is all the explanation I need:
SmartDMDimage.jpg

ColorDMD
image.jpg

// Error: Image 368929 not found // // Error: Image 368930 not found //
#239 5 years ago

I'm looking forward to more comparisons, but this is the best we have so far. I did a quick back and forth frame animation on the two to help see how they're different.

acdc-color-compare.gif

Too bad they're not both dots, be easier to see how they compare that way.

#240 5 years ago
#241 5 years ago

between the two colordmd is looking nicer but it's really about the dots to me. though the additional coloring and depth in the colordmd frame certainly makes me think that they have the edge right now...

#242 5 years ago

ColorDMD colors the pixels to their original brightness level. If I remember correctly, PB/SDMD flattens the brightness down to four levels - off, low, medium, and high - basically the brightness levels of earlier Stern and B/W levels. Newer Stern displays use up to 12 levels of brightness which really adds some depth to the coloring.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

ColorDMD colors the pixels to their original brightness level. If I remember correctly, PB/SDMD flattens the brightness down to four levels - off, low, medium, and high - basically the brightness levels of earlier Stern and B/W levels. Newer Stern displays use up to 12 levels of brightness which really adds some depth to the coloring.

SDMD doesn't flatten to four shades in particular, it just has to use slots on the 16 color pallets for shades, which colordmd doesn't.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

SDMD doesn't flatten to four shades in particular, it just has to use slots on the 16 color pallets for shades, which colordmd doesn't.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Right, if I understand it correctly ColorDMD doesn't "throw away" the shading data (it's what they use to give the darker color the scanline effect on that mode, notice it's not on all the colors) so they have 16 colors, same as SmartDMD, but then the shading data can be applied to those colors.

I don't know how that works for SAM, which has 16 brightness levels, on the old games I think they got an effective 64 colors, 16x4 brightness levels.

Randy correct me if I'm off on anything.

#246 5 years ago

Randy also has a Jurassic Park in his collection. Oh, I am so behind on getting my JP project up and running/shopped out. I bet he will have color ROM released for it before I finish up my project. That would be a good motivating factor too.

If Data East is possible, please do GnR soon!

I am definitely considering AC/DC when it is released. The DMD is my least favorite part of the game. The poor alignment of the 8x8 squares drives me crazy!

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

If Data East is possible, please do GnR soon!
I am definitely considering AC/DC when it is released. The DMD is my least favorite part of the game. The poor alignment of the 8x8 squares drives me crazy!

Why wait? AC/DC can handle Sigma display now.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm looking forward to more comparisons, but this is the best we have so far. I did a quick back and forth frame animation on the two to help see how they're different.
acdc-color-compare.gif (Click image to enlarge)
Too bad they're not both dots, be easier to see how they compare that way.

It looks good, but be fair and compare what can be compared.
Here, you are comparing a photo of the lcd (SmartDmd) to a computer generated bitmap (ColorDMD).
It is obvious that a photo does not render all the shades.
Anyway, I'd really like to see a comparison on the concert videos.

#249 5 years ago

All I can compare is what I have access to. Give me a better frame and I'll remake the gif happily.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It looks good, but be fair and compare what can be compared.
Here, you are comparing a photo of the lcd (SmartDmd) to a computer generated bitmap (ColorDMD).
It is obvious that a photo does not render all the shades.

Unretouched in-game photo taken with an iPhone 6.

colordmd_acdc.png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside