(Topic ID: 98841)

Color DMD announces Dr Who for newest release!!

By Gundam_Pilot_

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dendoc
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD_RS_Color.jpg
DH_mod.jpg
X_Flat.jpg
X_Tail.jpg
X_Soldered.jpg
tom.jpg
DSC_1411.JPG
IMAG1571.jpg
image-726.jpg
image-882.jpg
IMG_1720[1].JPG
image-638.jpg
image-539.jpg
image-105.jpg
image-635.jpg
image-996.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

Unexpected but cool! Motivation for me to fix the reset problems on my Dr. Who!

Quoted from viperrwk:

Interesting idea but no way they could do this because they would somehow have to tie the lamp matrix and display driver together.
viperrwk

They did it on Addams. Works fine. The THING "inserts" on the DMD panel are lit by the LCD.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

Sweet, Dr. Who was my first pin and will never leave my collection! I ordered the color DMD yesterday, and also pulled my lamp board and wired up the extension harness per the PDF. I ordered some of the recommended LED's for it but am also hoping the LED's arent quite as bright as shown in the pictures in the PDF.

Wait, what did I miss...where's this PDF that shows how to make an extension harness?

#70 9 years ago

Oh, cool...thanks.

I have Color DMD on my Addams and the LCD itself lights up the THING inserts...it's dimmer than a real bulb, but I'm perfectly OK with it. Does it also have this function on Dr. Who or do you have to do the light board mod?

#72 9 years ago

Is that a "no" or is the display capable of lighting the inserts with a new connector?

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

It's a no.
There are more strobes and returns used for the 7 doctors than there are for TAF (thus the bigger connector). The ColorDMD interface would have to be modified to manage multiple strobes and multiple returns. I imagine this could be done and then also provide an adapter cable, but it probably isnt worth doing for the few games that could use it.
Bottom line, you want the lights, mod the board.
viperrwk

Ah OK…thanks for bearing with me! Looks like I'll be moddin' that thing eventually. I have to fix my reset issues first

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've got the serial adapter cable for my TRON that ties into the speaker lights.....very cool!!!
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of, or played, a Dr. Who machine......what would you compare it to? What am I missing?.....thanks....mark

It's very unique…not sure it compares to anything. Most of the play field is pretty simple but it has an amazing main toy - the Time Expander. It's a 3-level toy that moves up and down. First level has 2 ball locks and a target. 2nd is a row of button-targets. 3rd level has 3 Dalek "flap-doors" to hit…it moves down then up to reset the flaps during Multiball. Has a upper flipper ramp shot that can go back to the left inlane or drop the ball to the upper flipper for combos (kinda like ST's warp ramp)

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Interesting....thanks Greg....I'll have to hunt one down and play it.....guessing my chances are slim to none finding one around here.....I'm debating on going to expo if work permits........mark

Yeah, check it out first - it's not for everyone. Some people hate the audio, cuz the Dalek's are always screaming. I used to be annoyed by it, but now I like it lol.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed. You could say 1/3 of the Pf "isn't used" and it's a strange layout, but a fun game. Too much looping for me to own, but a super fun player.

For the price it usually goes for (or at least went for), I can forgive the flaws. Like you said - fun player. Shots feel nice, and a great unique main toy.

5 months later
#135 9 years ago

I finally got around to doing the light board mod and installing the Color DMD last nite! I got super motivated by Road Show's release...I couldn't have two games orange when they didn't have to be!

I had some CT Flex Premium Warm Whites - so I tore those apart for my LEDs. You can see there's one without the sleeves - that's the first one I cut off...the resistor legs were super short, but I was still able to solder. For the rest I took more time and destroyed the casing so I could get more leg out. I didn't have a 13-pin connector, so I used an 11 and a 2 ...eh, it's not as professional lookin, but this is the type of thing I'm plugging in and leaving plugged...it all worked perfectly!

Even though the Color DMD "emulates" the lights on TAF, I'm considering doing the mod to that light board too, since the results are so nice and bright.

DH_mod.jpgDH_mod.jpg WD_RS_Color.jpgWD_RS_Color.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-announces-dr-who-for-newest-release?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.