(Topic ID: 98841)

Color DMD announces Dr Who for newest release!!

By Gundam_Pilot_

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dendoc
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD_RS_Color.jpg
DH_mod.jpg
X_Flat.jpg
X_Tail.jpg
X_Soldered.jpg
tom.jpg
DSC_1411.JPG
IMAG1571.jpg
image-726.jpg
image-882.jpg
IMG_1720[1].JPG
image-638.jpg
image-539.jpg
image-105.jpg
image-635.jpg
image-996.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago

this has really stoked the fire to get my Dr done. here is how it sits. : (

IMG_3489.JPG

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Although we came up with a way for the LCD to light the THING inserts on TAF, this would have required a board change and is not supported for Doctor Who.
Bill Hollenbeck of Pacific Coast Pinball created and shared a DIY modification that allows the original lamp board to be used with the ColorDMD. Information on the mod is linked to our SUPPORT page at http://www.colordmd.com.

Seems simple enough... thanks for the info I was wondering how that was going to work...

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

this has really stoked the fire to get my Dr done. here is how it sits. : (

IMG_3489.JPG 187 KB

Get it done before Xmas please Will see you then.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Get it done before Xmas please Will see you then.

It will be!!

#105 7 years ago

Any coupon codes for the color DMD? Trying to save some cash here

#106 7 years ago

I bought LEDs from this ebay auction:
ebay.com link: itm

To remove the LEDs from the plastic case all you need to do is straighten the contact pins and the LED section slides right out. They're made a bit different than the ones in the PDF, with only one surface mount resistor mounted in the center. The leads are labeled with + and - so just make sure you solder the positive leads to the pads on the same side as the header wires.
image-996.jpg

One thing to be careful about is that the legs of the LEDs like to snap off when bending them over. For the few that broke off I just bent them with small pliers, then resoldered them.

I didn't have the 26 gauge wire recommended in the PDF, so I used 22 gauge. I won't know if the additional thickness is a problem until I get my color DMD panel.

One other question I had with the PDF is that it says to use 24" long wires for the extensions. Because I bent the extensions to one side, as shown, after cutting the ends flush to attach the new header the extension wasn't quite 24" in length anymore. I won't know if the extension is too short until I get the Color DMD.
image.jpg

#107 7 years ago

I took a video with my iPhone and put it on youtube:

The lights look brighter than they are in person, and the camera dramatically eccentuated the amount of flicker. In person I'm really happy with the appearance. If I had thought about it before hand I would have left one incandescent bulb in to compare in the video, but I'm happy enough with how it looks that I don't think I need to desolder an LED to swap in a bulb for another video.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Getaway!!! I'd like to see the 'Nice Wheels' lady in full color.

I second that! Possible honorable mention in the "hottest girls in pinball" post?

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

» YouTube video
The lights look brighter than they are in person, and the camera dramatically eccentuated the amount of flicker. In person I'm really happy with the appearance. If I had thought about it before hand I would have left one incandescent bulb in to compare in the video, but I'm happy enough with how it looks that I don't think I need to desolder an LED to swap in a bulb for another video.

Thanks for posting the video, it looks great! I just ordered my color DMD too so let us know how yours installs with the mod you did. I think I'll wait until I get the new DMD before I mod the lights...

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

» YouTube video

No GC or loop champion? And a credit dot. Did you just turn it on?

Just kidding, nice mod and thanks for sharing!

#111 7 years ago

Wow, what a tough crowd!
Seriously though, credit dot is a Dalek head error on power up. The head works in game though. It's one of the kits that uses an R/C servo to move the head. The lack of any good scores is due to not playing it more than a few test games after installing NVRAM to get rid of the batteries.

Back on topic!
My ColorDMD arrived today! I just installed it with no issues. I didn't bother changing any settings, so it's displaying with all defaults. I figure why change settings when the color code is about to come out.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

My ColorDMD arrived today! I just installed it with no issues. I didn't bother changing any settings, so it's displaying with all defaults. I figure why change settings when the color code is about to come out.
» YouTube video

Awesome! According to UPS mine should be arriving tomorrow. What and when is this new color code coming out? They have a current one available correct?

#113 7 years ago

Right now all you can do is choose what single color you want the display to be. Tomorrow they will release the rom file that you put on a usb stick and load into the board attached to the screen. It will then display the animations in multiple colors.

The FAQ on the ColorDMD website has details including a video of how to load the code. I'll be at work all day tomorrow, so I won't be able to load it and take a video until I get home in the evening.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

Right now all you can do is choose what single color you want the display to be. Tomorrow they will release the rom file that you put on a usb stick and load into the board attached to the screen. It will then display the animations in multiple colors.
The FAQ on the ColorDMD website has details including a video of how to load the code. I'll be at work all day tomorrow, so I won't be able to load it and take a video until I get home in the evening.

I watched the ROM load file so that shouldn't be a problem. WOW, talk about perfect timing to get this DMD! I'm so excited to see this in color! By the way it looks like the LED mod you did worked out well...any advice on the install with this mod? Was anything in the way?

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from kmk68sin:

I watched the ROM load file so that shouldn't be a problem. WOW, talk about perfect timing to get this DMD! I'm so excited to see this in color! By the way it looks like the LED mod you did worked out well...any advice on the install with this mod? Was anything in the way?

If you've done the light board mod, you'll be good to go, installation of the ColorDMD is a breeze. Will appreciate feedback on the rom when it comes out. Looking forward to seeing others impressions.

#116 7 years ago

OK, I've shot a video of a couple games showing the ColorDMD the whole time. I'm loving it!
I recently added NVRAM, Cliffy protectors on the Time Expander, new rubbers and wax. I've got some adjustments to do and haven't played it in a while, so excuse my first crappy game.

#118 7 years ago

Well install took 3 hours. The light board was a pain. I think I lost an hour dealing with wire that solder did not want to adhere to, but that was all I had and I was determined to get it done.

I think someone should make a led light board with surface mounts. Pinbits cough cough.

#119 7 years ago

Did my lamp board today and installed my colordmd. Took about an hour and a half to do but well worth it.

image-635.jpg
image-635.jpg
image-635.jpg
image-105.jpg
image-638.jpg
image-539.jpg

#120 7 years ago

Jeez, I didn't realize these were already being sold. I need to get an order in ASAP.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Did my lamp board today and installed my colordmd.

What bulbs did you use?

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

What bulbs did you use?

I used Cointaker frosted 555 LED with 2 LEDs but you can use anything. I took the frosted bulb off , removed led from base and soldered per the guide.
That was the easy part. Hard part was wiring just because there are 13 pins to desolder, then wires to solder on to board and connector.
Turned out great though.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I used Cointaker frosted 555 LED with 2 LEDs but you can use anything. I took the frosted bulb off , removed led from base and soldered per the guide.
That was the easy part. Hard part was wiring just because there are 13 pins to desolder, then wires to solder on to board and connector.
Turned out great though.

Use a dremmel to cut edges of plastic of CT bulbs. I recommend warm white in the supers as then you do not need to worry about polarity.

The bastard part is the 13 wire connector. I thought about reusing the pins a desoldered from the board, but they slide in and out so I went with a diff connector. My issue was getting the solder to adhere to the wire on the connector and I also cut one cable too short. The instruction said feed to the right, but I found the wire could be shorter 18 inches and could easily be fed to the left

#124 7 years ago

forgot pics or it didn't happen

IMG_1720[1].JPG
#125 7 years ago

Looks good! Now i just need to finally score a Dr Who! Your game looks pretty nice. I like the ablaze 4LED warms for those windows.

#126 7 years ago

I did the lamp mod the other night. It is not too bad.
I used all black wire but if I did it again I'd at least use a different color in the 1 position.

Now just need to save up for the colorDMD.
image-882.jpg
image-726.jpg

#127 7 years ago

I wish they would have programmed the Dr. Who DMD to be like the Adams family where they use the DMD to replace the need for the lamp board or mod...it wasn't super hard but was a bit of an inconvenience. Mine turned out well Looks so Awesome with the LEDs

IMAG1571.jpg
#128 7 years ago

As Randy pointed out, it would have been great but the DW connector has too many pins and a completely unique board would have had to be designed/tested/ built just for this game. Glad you did the mod and got the Color added in though!

#129 7 years ago

I thought I'll share my version of the board. I had no thin wires and thought making a flat cable was a neat idea.
There's more than one way to do it!

#130 7 years ago

Reminds me of Tom Baker's scarf..... nice touch.
faz

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Reminds me of Tom Baker's scarf..... nice touch.
faz

tom.jpg
4 months later
#132 6 years ago

I just finished the lightboard for my DW. I PMed around ahead of time looking for some additional advice. The first comment I had was that some ghosting was noticed in the LEDs. The second was a recommendation for CoinTakeer 555 Superbright.

I ended up going with CoinTaker 555 Superbright Warm no-ghosting. They are bright but since warm white, they look right for my game (I have no other LEDs on the game).

Here's a few closeups to show the LEDs. Note that one of the LEDs has a small extension soldered onto the leg of the resistor. Some of my order had this little extend-o-leg but most did not. When I soldered them in, I was careful to solder on the very tip of the leg to reduce heat to the components as much as possible. This also helped to prevent the solder on the extend-o-leg from melting.

Zoom in on the last pic to see the solder joint.

No leg:
X_Flat.jpg

Soldered:
X_Soldered.jpg

Extend-o-leg:
X_Tail.jpg

The ColorDMD will get dropped in next

faz

#133 6 years ago

Well, I finished it.

I wish I could say it was 100% simple, but I ran into a small snag. The instructions tell you to remove the power cable from the DMD Controller Board to the old DMD itself. I did this, but in doing so, removed the power cable TO the DMD Controller Board.

It seems that the operator that had this game before zip tied these two cables together...or perhaps this is how it came from the factory. But anyway, I pulled both cables off without really understanding what the DMD Control Board's power source really was. I just pulled the instructed connector and anything attached to it.

When I turned the game on and saw a blank ColorDMD (actually a bit of garbage) my heart completely sank. Then, I hit the ColorDMD menu button at which point, I saw (perfectly) the system menu. So, I knew the ColorDMD device was not damaged. I loaded the DW code hoping that may positively impact things, but of course in hindsight that would not have done anything.

So, fearing that I screwed up something major (I did have to unplug most of the connectors from the WPC Power Driver Board) I double checked all the connectors and then hooked up the WPC DMD back into the game. OF course I hooked up all the cables to the DMD Controller Board again and the DMD worked perfectly. This made me feel great!

So, I knew a few things:
All the cables to/from the WPC Power Driver Board were ok
The DMD Controller Board was ok
The Ribbon Cable to the DMD was ok

I unplugged the old DMD and hooked up the ColorDMD again to return to the same problem.

Then, I picked up the schematics to figure out what that cable was that I removed.

If the two cables came from the factory this way, it might be good to note in the instructions. I'll post another thread with a poll. This thread at least documents the issue.

Also, the LED Lamp Mod looks great! I really like how bright it is. And the color animations are killer!
Here's a short video to show the completed project.

I don't know if it's "worth" $400 but honestly, I just wanted it.

faz

#134 6 years ago

Looks great Faz, I too pondered over the cost (extra to aus) but not long and its the best thing I have purchased for my DW so far, ever since I saw the colour dmd on Toad's MM I was hoping for them to make it available for my DW.

3 weeks later
#135 6 years ago

I finally got around to doing the light board mod and installing the Color DMD last nite! I got super motivated by Road Show's release...I couldn't have two games orange when they didn't have to be!

I had some CT Flex Premium Warm Whites - so I tore those apart for my LEDs. You can see there's one without the sleeves - that's the first one I cut off...the resistor legs were super short, but I was still able to solder. For the rest I took more time and destroyed the casing so I could get more leg out. I didn't have a 13-pin connector, so I used an 11 and a 2 ...eh, it's not as professional lookin, but this is the type of thing I'm plugging in and leaving plugged...it all worked perfectly!

Even though the Color DMD "emulates" the lights on TAF, I'm considering doing the mod to that light board too, since the results are so nice and bright.

DH_mod.jpg WD_RS_Color.jpg
2 months later
#136 6 years ago

In case anyone missed it, the newer ColorDMDs have holes in the panel that can make installation possible without modifying the game. You'll have to screw the lightboard in a bit lower but could avoid modifying the light board (though it really isn't a difficult mod and is totally reversible). Also, for anyone experiencing a bug (you'll really only see it if you turn off the match feature) where the game won't properly exit bonus mode, I'm testing a fix and should be updated soon.

On another note, it's pretty crazy to think that this was only 8 months ago and I've since colored another game, and 7 more have been released since - most by community developers. In less than a year CDMD offerings have nearly doubled (and will within the year most likely).

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

In case anyone missed it, the newer ColorDMDs have holes in the panel that can make installation possible without modifying the game. You'll have to screw the lightboard in a bit lower but could avoid modifying the light board (though it really isn't a difficult mod and is totally reversible).

I've heard this a couple places... could someone post a picture of what is meant here? Lower seems like the wrong direction to not block the light bar....

#138 6 years ago

I asked the same thing on this thread, and Lame33 was very kind and posted these pics at the bottom of the page
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dr-who-color-dmd-installed

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside