(Topic ID: 98841)

Color DMD announces Dr Who for newest release!!

By Gundam_Pilot_

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dendoc
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD_RS_Color.jpg
DH_mod.jpg
X_Flat.jpg
X_Tail.jpg
X_Soldered.jpg
tom.jpg
DSC_1411.JPG
IMAG1571.jpg
image-726.jpg
image-882.jpg
IMG_1720[1].JPG
image-638.jpg
image-539.jpg
image-105.jpg
image-635.jpg
image-996.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

Hoping for JP soon.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

You should get one

If you are in VA for XMas I will get one.

#53 7 years ago

Happy for Dr. Who owners, but c'mon already - IJ is screaming for color!

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

While I understand that some people want other games I can't understand thumbing up negative responses to any game. For anyone that wants a game done, have you contacted Randy about doing it? There are lots of games being done now because people have made a commitment. I will say that it is now impossible to think if DW not colorized.

Hey Mark. Thanks for taking on this project. I can't wait to see what it looks like in person. It must've taken you forever.

#55 7 years ago

Where is the sweet youtube colordmd video?

#56 7 years ago

TZ next pleeeeezzzzzzz

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well....I'm just going to order the sigma for my TZ....have to admit, I really like the smoothing feature almost as much as I like the colorization.......

It looks amazing! Highly recommended. The original TZ tv-series is B/W anyway. Hmm... now if they just could add a CRT overlay with some old TV glitches.

#58 7 years ago

Dang looks sweet!
DW is a fantastic game!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Gov said:

Cv is physically impossible due to the screen placement.

Really???

- that seems lame

Yeah, facts are lame. I hate facts too.

#60 7 years ago

Meh.

Didn't see this coming.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from dri:

It looks amazing! Highly recommended. The original TZ tv-series is B/W anyway. Hmm... now if they just could add a CRT overlay with some old TV glitches.

Thanks for the reinforcement ....I've got one on my TRONLE and looks sick !!! Hoping for the same in white for my TZ....mark

#62 7 years ago

Whats the smoothing effect? And anyone have video of tz in white?

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

#t=48

#64 7 years ago

This is fantastic news! Now I need to learn how this colordmd thing works.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from dug:

» YouTube video

Wow that does look nice I see now

#66 7 years ago

Sweet, Dr. Who was my first pin and will never leave my collection! I ordered the color DMD yesterday, and also pulled my lamp board and wired up the extension harness per the PDF. I ordered some of the recommended LED's for it but am also hoping the LED's arent quite as bright as shown in the pictures in the PDF.

#67 7 years ago

Selling my Xbox 360 kiosk so I can buy the color DMD LOL!

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Paladin:

Sweet, Dr. Who was my first pin and will never leave my collection! I ordered the color DMD yesterday, and also pulled my lamp board and wired up the extension harness per the PDF. I ordered some of the recommended LED's for it but am also hoping the LED's arent quite as bright as shown in the pictures in the PDF.

Wait, what did I miss...where's this PDF that shows how to make an extension harness?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wait, what did I miss...where's this PDF that shows how to make an extension harness?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-announces-dr-who-for-newest-release#post-1810504

viperrwk

#70 7 years ago

Oh, cool...thanks.

I have Color DMD on my Addams and the LCD itself lights up the THING inserts...it's dimmer than a real bulb, but I'm perfectly OK with it. Does it also have this function on Dr. Who or do you have to do the light board mod?

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, cool...thanks.
I have Color DMD on my Addams and the LCD itself lights up the THING inserts...it's dimmer than a real bulb, but I'm perfectly OK with it. Does it also have this function on Dr. Who or do you have to do the light board mod?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-announces-dr-who-for-newest-release#post-1810589

viperrwk

#72 7 years ago

Is that a "no" or is the display capable of lighting the inserts with a new connector?

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is that a "no" or is the display capable of lighting the inserts with a new connector?

It's a no.

There are more strobes and returns used for the 7 doctors than there are for TAF (thus the bigger connector). The ColorDMD interface would have to be modified to manage multiple strobes and multiple returns. I imagine this could be done and then also provide an adapter cable, but it probably isnt worth doing for the few games that could use it.

Bottom line, you want the lights, mod the board.

viperrwk

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

It's a no.
There are more strobes and returns used for the 7 doctors than there are for TAF (thus the bigger connector). The ColorDMD interface would have to be modified to manage multiple strobes and multiple returns. I imagine this could be done and then also provide an adapter cable, but it probably isnt worth doing for the few games that could use it.
Bottom line, you want the lights, mod the board.
viperrwk

Ah OK…thanks for bearing with me! Looks like I'll be moddin' that thing eventually. I have to fix my reset issues first

#75 7 years ago

I've got the serial adapter cable for my TRON that ties into the speaker lights.....very cool!!!

I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of, or played, a Dr. Who machine......what would you compare it to? What am I missing?.....thanks....mark

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Think Randy posted a white TZ w the effect awhile back.....very nice!!!....mine coming.....

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've got the serial adapter cable for my TRON that ties into the speaker lights.....very cool!!!
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of, or played, a Dr. Who machine......what would you compare it to? What am I missing?.....thanks....mark

It's very unique…not sure it compares to anything. Most of the play field is pretty simple but it has an amazing main toy - the Time Expander. It's a 3-level toy that moves up and down. First level has 2 ball locks and a target. 2nd is a row of button-targets. 3rd level has 3 Dalek "flap-doors" to hit…it moves down then up to reset the flaps during Multiball. Has a upper flipper ramp shot that can go back to the left inlane or drop the ball to the upper flipper for combos (kinda like ST's warp ramp)

#78 7 years ago

looking forward to RS and Congo in the near future!

#79 7 years ago

Basically, for "special format" games like SafeCracker or Cirquis Voltaire, the LCD panel won't fit ... it extends both above, and below, the DMD cutout, so there's physically no space for it.

At some point in the future, there will be 128x32 color LED panels, which'll have the same form factor as the original plasma ... at that point, presumably the colorDMD product will shift over to using the newer technology, and it'll be applicable to games like SC or CV.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's very unique…not sure it compares to anything. Most of the play field is pretty simple but it has an amazing main toy - the Time Expander. It's a 3-level toy that moves up and down. First level has 2 ball locks and a target. 2nd is a row of button-targets. 3rd level has 3 Dalek "flap-doors" to hit…it moves down then up to reset the flaps during Multiball. Has a upper flipper ramp shot that can go back to the left inlane or drop the ball to the upper flipper for combos (kinda like ST's warp ramp)

Interesting....thanks Greg....I'll have to hunt one down and play it.....guessing my chances are slim to none finding one around here.....I'm debating on going to expo if work permits........mark

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from litz:

At some point in the future, there will be 128x32 color LED panels

I doubt it honestly. Too expensive and specialized for there to ever be a need. Pinball will shift away from LED panels and that will be that.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Interesting....thanks Greg....I'll have to hunt one down and play it.....guessing my chances are slim to none finding one around here.....I'm debating on going to expo if work permits........mark

Couple of Bashers have DWs, I believe somewhere in NC.

#83 7 years ago

Pinball isn't the only market for that type of display ... a color DMD in that size could well be desirable for lottery machines, slot machines, similar types where they want a display that's more robust than a LCD panel.

The only only reason the market's gone for the orange DMD displays is they're monochrome.

In today's world, that just doesn't catch the eye.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yeah, check it out first - it's not for everyone. Some people hate the audio, cuz the Dalek's are always screaming. I used to be annoyed by it, but now I like it lol.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, check it out first - it's not for everyone.

Agreed. You could say 1/3 of the Pf "isn't used" and it's a strange layout, but a fun game. Too much looping for me to own, but a super fun player.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed. You could say 1/3 of the Pf "isn't used" and it's a strange layout, but a fun game. Too much looping for me to own, but a super fun player.

For the price it usually goes for (or at least went for), I can forgive the flaws. Like you said - fun player. Shots feel nice, and a great unique main toy.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Shots feel nice, and a great unique main toy.

Always feels good hitting the expander when it's up and slamming it down.

#88 7 years ago

Here's the video!

Looks amazing!

#89 7 years ago

Breathtaking!

Can't wait to get one!

#90 7 years ago

The video looks amazing! I think they made a very wise choice in choosing DW (and not just because I have one!)

#91 7 years ago

DAMN-IT!!!! That's COOL!!!!.....but $400 is so much money....but it's so FREAKING COOL!!!!!

faz

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from litz:

At some point in the future, there will be 128x32 color LED panels, which'll have the same form factor as the original plasma ... at that point, presumably the colorDMD product will shift over to using the newer technology, and it'll be applicable to games like SC or CV.

Quoted from Aurich:

I doubt it honestly. Too expensive and specialized for there to ever be a need. Pinball will shift away from LED panels and that will be that.

Not to mention that RGB LEDs are larger in size than standard single color LEDs resulting in a much larger screen than will actually fit any machine. Also the spaces between each RGB LED are much larger as well creating a somewhat blurred effect.

Then of course you have to drive them which would require the use of a CPLD or FPGA as a conventional micro-controller simply won't be fast enough.

#93 7 years ago

Just sold my Defender arcade!!!!

I will be buying this DMD tomorrow!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Here's the video! » YouTube video
Looks amazing!

Why is this not orange like my game ?

Looks amazing

#95 7 years ago

Woot Woot! The sixth doctor's suit will be hard to re-create though. LOL

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Woot Woot! The sixth doctor's suit will be hard to re-create though. LOL

You aren't kidding!

#97 7 years ago

I wonder if the arrival of the new color DMD will maybe push for another run of wobble head kits????? **Hint Hint**

#98 7 years ago

Can someone confirm my understanding of this product... From what I have seen in instructions and videos, the LCD is so big that you have to take out the bulbs that illuminate the seven doctors that are under the DMD.

Am I correct that the LCD will illuminate them at the appropriate game times instead?

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Am I correct that the LCD will illuminate them at the appropriate game times instead?

Although we came up with a way for the LCD to light the THING inserts on TAF, this would have required a board change and is not supported for Doctor Who.

Bill Hollenbeck of Pacific Coast Pinball created and shared a DIY modification that allows the original lamp board to be used with the ColorDMD. Information on the mod is linked to our SUPPORT page at http://www.colordmd.com.

#100 7 years ago

This is very cool. Now all I need to do is find a Doctor Who...

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside