8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Neonblue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm asking because I just don't know. I own Star Trek: The Next Generation because it is my favorite pinball of all time. The machine is in excellent condition except for a small crack in the speaker cover (which I'm ordering a new one shortly from pinball.com). I'm not a huge fan of all that is pinball but I decided to make a day run to Chicago from Minneapolis yesterday and saw color DMDs which were pretty cool. I was told they had one for STTNG as well. Knowing what my friends do to restore cars to as close to factory as possible, the thought crossed my mind on if this would detract from the value of the machine, have no effect, or add to the value. Anyone care to provide opinions?

#2 8 years ago

No you can change back easy I just got one for my CFTBL and it is amazing. I am waiting anxiously for them do do Star Wars Data East now.

#3 8 years ago

Adds $400 value to the machine. If you can't get your asking price, take out the colorDMD and sell it separately.

ColorDMDs on the whole are appreciated and add value to a machine.

#5 8 years ago

Absolutely adds to the value. If you decide later that you want the game original, it only takes a few minutes to reverse the process. It's also one of the few mods where it's reasonable to expect your money back.

Personally, I can't imagine reversing the process for any game I have a ColorDMD in (unless I ever sell my MM and the buyer wants it as new)

#6 8 years ago

ditto all of the above. wasn't sold on the concept of the display as it originally appears, only in color, but after seeing one in person (TSPP @ Expo, Thanks Chris Gray and the DSMpinball guys) I was more impressed with the increased resolution. Looks like it should always had been there. I'm saving my pennies now in hopes of picking one up next year in Chicago.

#7 8 years ago

Adds about $300 value IMO.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Adds about $300 value IMO.

Agreed, unless you're throwing in a good original display too, then you could maybe get closer to your $400 back. It's a killer upgrade, can't wait for Tron so I can get all of my DMD games in color!

#9 8 years ago

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be upgrading!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-and-value-of-the-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.