0609191859c (resized).jpg
0609191859 (resized).jpg
amhcolor (resized).jpg
20190518_074103 (resized).jpg
20190518_074218 (resized).jpg
20190518_073706 (resized).jpg
fri3 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

We have received approval to reproduce a run of Chroma-Color boards. Thanks, Charlie at Spooky Pinball. This approval is the ONLY tie that Spooky Pinball has to this display. Do not contact them with questions, other than if you NEED to verify the approval. You will NOT be contacting them with support questions, either.

Per the agreement with Spooky Pinball, this will be a one-time run. I need an accurate count of boards to produce, so contrary to my normal practice, I'm requiring a pre-order on this. This deposit is non-refundable and will be applied to the full purchase price of the display.

All parts have been ordered, so the quantity listed on the website is all that will be available. I am looking into other solutions, but for now, this is it.

The build and test is expected to require about 2 months. The estimated first ship date would be approximately 6/1/2019 - 7/1/2019.

I'm setting the price at $329 plus shipping. The remaining balance, minus the deposit, will be required prior to an order shipping.

This kit will include:
Chroma-Color Controller PCB
LCD Display Panel
Display Mounting Bracket
Custom Power Cable
Replacement Clear Plexiglass DMD Cover
SD Card with Updated AV Firmware and Color Videos

More information is available at my website:
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=38

#2 5 years ago

I'm in!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 5 years ago

No need to think about twice about this. Thanks for getting this all together for us. Much appreciated.
-Mike

#6 5 years ago

Count me in as well. Quirky but fun game that will be staying in our collection and this color display will only add to the game. Thank you for moving forward with this.

#7 5 years ago

In!

#8 5 years ago

Pre-order completed. This is awesome. Thank you for tackling the project.

#9 5 years ago

I am in as well.

#10 5 years ago

How are the assets getting colorized?

#11 5 years ago

I'm in. Don't own the game, but will someday. Not the wisest buy for me, but I'd rather have one than try to find one down the road.

#12 5 years ago

I'm in. Deposit sent!

#13 5 years ago

I am in too! Thanks for making this available!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

How are the assets getting colorized?

Ugh! Tedious coloring.

Most of them, I've converted the VID files from the original SD to grayscale, used GIMP to color through various methods, then converted back into an indexed color format.

There are a few that had color in the original assests, Ben gave to a virtual pin guy, and were converted to animated GIFs which I then reused.

I do not have the original assets, but Ben has mentioned me sending him a drive to dump all of them onto. This has been a recent development since I caught his eye with some of the examples I posted.

If anyone is willing to help with the coloring, I'm happy to convert the files and include them. I am also willing to post my conversion tools, though they're written for Linux. Send me PM if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

#15 5 years ago

wow, you rock Herg!

Quoted from herg:

Ugh! Tedious coloring.
Most of them, I've converted the VID files from the original SD to grayscale, used GIMP to color through various methods, then converted back into an indexed color format.
There are a few that had color in the original assests, Ben gave to a virtual pin guy, and were converted to animated GIFs which I then reused.
I do not have the original assets, but Ben has mentioned me sending him a drive to dump all of them onto. This has been a recent development since I caught his eye with some of the examples I posted.
If anyone is willing to help with the coloring, I'm happy to convert the files and include them. I am also willing to post my conversion tools, though they're written for Linux. Send me PM if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

#17 5 years ago

I’m in. I’ll supoort this!

#18 5 years ago

BTW, with the amount of pre-orders so far, I know the price will be dropping. I won't know by how much until I can run the numbers, hopefully tonight.
Thanks for making this a success.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

BTW, with the amount of pre-orders so far, I know the price will be dropping. I won't know by how much until I can run the numbers, hopefully tonight.
Thanks for making this a success.

I may get some downvotes for this, but leave the price where it is. Dont lower it. It is more than reasonable for the amount of work and parts you are putting in it.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I may get some downvotes for this, but leave the price where it is. Dont lower it. It is more than reasonable for the amount of work and parts you are putting in it.

I'm going to kick you in the nuts next time I see you!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm going to kick you in the nuts next time I see you!

That's fine old man. Would you lower your price if you suddenly were able to buy enough wood to make 10,000 footies? Doubtful. People should get paid for thier work. People seem to be happy to pay for colordmd at a higher price, why not for this? There are a max of 149 people that are going to buy this. The reality is, herg probably wont make much profit after you include all the time involved in this project. Before you retired you were paid for your time, someone else should be too.

Besides, I'll keep a couple beers in my new "pac-man pixel bash chill" (that I will have at tpf) for when you stop over for said nut kicking.

pac-man-pixel-bash-chill-arcade-cabinet-mini-fridge-1 (resized).jpgpac-man-pixel-bash-chill-arcade-cabinet-mini-fridge-1 (resized).jpg
#22 5 years ago

The reality is, herg probably wont make much profit after you include all the time involved in this project

True, I won't make much profit. Given the time I've put into it just getting it working, the people assembling it will probably have a higher rate of pay.

That said, I didn't get into it to make money. I have a day job for that. This, I did so that I could have a color display in one of my favorite games that otherwise would have probably remained single color. I had a lot of fun doing it, and I'm glad that I can share it with you guys.

So, with no further ado, I'm going to set the final price at $329. I'll be ordering enough that the PCBs will be a good bit cheaper than they would have been if I was only building 10. I'll still be making what I consider to be fair.

Also, here's an updated video. It still isn't a very good video, but at least you can see the current state of the coloring.

#23 5 years ago

Looks great Herg! Your efforts to do this for AMH owners are very much appreciated!

Todd

#24 5 years ago

That's fine old man. Would you lower your price if you suddenly were able to buy enough wood to make 10,000 footies? Doubtful. People should get paid for thier work. People seem to be happy to pay for colordmd at a higher price, why not for this? There are a max of 149 people that are going to buy this. The reality is, herg probably wont make much profit after you include all the time involved in this project. Before you retired you were paid for your time, someone else should be too.
Besides, I'll keep a couple beers in my new "pac-man pixel bash chill" (that I will have at tpf) for when you stop over for said nut kicking.[quoted image]

I'm still going to kick you in the nuts.

#25 5 years ago

Spoke with Harold this evening. Very impressive work!

I can supply the Adobe Premiere and After Effects files for fast colorizing of the modes he hasn't finished yet.

Anybody with the above programs want to help on the effort?

#26 5 years ago

I’m in!!! Just ordered. Looks
Great!!! Can’t wait. AMH is a cool game for sure!!! I will never sell it!!

#27 5 years ago

Nice job dude!

#28 5 years ago

Oh dear god take my money now!

Seriously, ordered and thanks for all the work

#29 5 years ago

This is really going to raise this fine game to an additional level. Don't miss out AMH owners.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Anybody with the above programs want to help on the effort?

Now, now, not everyone all at once! Seriously, though. Ben has offered to share some of the original assets to help with the remaining coloring. I don't own After Effects and Premiere, nor do I know how to use them. If anyone is willing to help by adding color to those assets, then exporting to bitmap sequence so my tools can convert them, it would be a huge help. Send me or Ben a PM if you would like to talk about it.

#31 5 years ago

Deposit sent! Thanks for offering this.

#32 5 years ago

I wrote installation instructions this morning. If someone is willing to review them, I'd greatly appreciate it. My game is AMH #1, and I know some things changed during the run of games. The thing I question most is the alignment of the new DMD. If someone could compare my pictures to their game, that would be great. A picture of the back of the speaker panel on a high numbered AMH would also help. Here's the link:
http://ledocd.com/install_chroma.html

#33 5 years ago

Deposit sent. Can't wait.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

Deposit sent. Can't wait.

Ditto! Looks like it’s worth every penny.

#35 5 years ago

very excited to get this!

#36 5 years ago

My first ever colour DMD.

How exciting.

rd

#37 5 years ago

A bit of a head's up...

I had hoped that I could source the same display panels that are used in ColorDMD. These have been discontinued for a few years now, and supplies have dried up. At this point, I do not think this is a workable option.

Instead, I am planning to use the same display panel that is used in Total Nuclear Annihilation. The drawback to this display is that the viewing angle is not as good. When you are standing at the machine, the colors are a bit washed out. Colors are vibrant when standing further away or from a lower viewing angle.

For those who have already pre-ordered, I understand this is a bit of a disappointment. I wanted to get the information out before displays were shipped. If you are not satisfied with this option, I have no problem canceling and refunding your pre-order.

If you want to source one of the ColorDMD type display panels from EBay or elsewhere, I do have FPGA firmware that will work with it. I could program the FPGA with this firmware before shipping, and you would only need to screw the panel in place and attach the flex cable. Send me email or PM if you want to go this route.

Edit:

What's the EBay option?

Since the better panels are discontinued, EBay is nearly the only place they can be obtained. You have to be careful, though. Often, they will mention a particular part number, then ship a compatible display that will not be of the same quality as the mentioned part number. There are used ones as well. You really want to see a picture of the part number on the actual display being sold, if possible. The good part numbers that I know of are LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1.

#38 5 years ago

Damn.

#39 5 years ago

It's not all that bad. I just didn't want anyone to be expecting ColorDMD and end up disappointed after installing it. Bad news does not improve with age.

I am still working on getting the better displays, but it just seems like a stretch to be able to get them in quantity now. Even the lesser displays are a huge improvement over single color.

I have also had a few questions about an LED screen option. I do not have the time or motivation to get that done. Sorry.

#40 5 years ago

Part of the problem with the TNA screen is that it is lower and at a different angle because of the cabinet design. Should be less of an issue with AMH’s standard cabinet.

#41 5 years ago

Yeah, TNA screen set to the correct settings and angled back a bit is fine for most ...

And don’t forget the TNA graphics are deliberately made to look 80s-ish ...

rd

#42 5 years ago

There's a reason Stern's LCD mount is angled slightly upward

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Part of the problem with the TNA screen is that it is lower and at a different angle because of the cabinet design. Should be less of an issue with AMH’s standard cabinet.

I have mounted the TNA screen (it did actually come out of my TNA) in AMH, so my observations are based on actually seeing it in my AMH. I'm probably making it sound worse than it really is, but I'm an Engineer, not a salesman. My wife and son love it, even with the TNA display panel. My wife says it's fine, even while playing, and my son is only four foot tall, so his viewing angle is perfect.

Quoted from benheck:

There's a reason Stern's LCD mount is angled slightly upward

It's funny you mention Stern. The display in my Iron Maiden is great, even if you're not angling it. I wonder how many different ones they've used. I looked up the panel my IMDN has in it, and it would be a lot of work to inferface with it, so it's really not an option.

I've also had more questions:
1. No, you can't use a real ColorDMD in AMH. If you could, I would not have spent the hundreds of hours designing this.
2. You *could* steal the display panel from a ColorDMD, but you would still need the rest of the parts from this kit.

Here are the options as I see them now:
1. Full Chroma-Color kit with NT156WHM-N50 (TNA type) display panel - $329
2. DIY-ish Chroma-Color kit not including, but programmed for a LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1 (ColorDMD type) display panel - $279
3. Cancellation and refund of your pre-order

Also, a long shot would be that I could still find a source for LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1 display panels. I don't need any firm decisions until mid-April when I start ordering parts.

#44 5 years ago

Very cool. Haven't been on pinside in a while... Just too busy with other life things.

Is the TNA display the same as RZ? Is that display something that would work (not sure how it compares to TNA)...

Will be pre-ordering as soon as I get to the office!
Jaz

Edit: Done!

#45 5 years ago

The RZ display is what I have in my game. I bought one from Charlie when I started developing this. From what I understand, Spooky switched from the ColorDMD type displays to the TNA one somewhere during the RZ build. Mine, #69, had a ColorDMD type in it. If you had a spare RZ display, yes, you could use it simply by reprogramming it.

#46 5 years ago

The Stern displays are higher quality. They also use dual lane LVDS per their schematics so probably higher resolution too. On top of this they're also angled for a straight eyeline of an average height person.

1366x768 is simply the easiest to get. They're basically "crappy Chromebook" screens.

High quality laptop screens have gone far beyond 1920x1080 and they mostly use embedded Display Port now instead of LVDS.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I have mounted the TNA screen (it did actually come out of my TNA) in AMH, so my observations are based on actually seeing it in my AMH. I'm probably making it sound worse than it really is, but I'm an Engineer, not a salesman. My wife and son love it, even with the TNA display panel. My wife says it's fine, even while playing, and my son is only four foot tall, so his viewing angle is perfect.

It's funny you mention Stern. The display in my Iron Maiden is great, even if you're not angling it. I wonder how many different ones they've used. I looked up the panel my IMDN has in it, and it would be a lot of work to inferface with it, so it's really not an option.
I've also had more questions:
1. No, you can't use a real ColorDMD in AMH. If you could, I would not have spent the hundreds of hours designing this.
2. You *could* steal the display panel from a ColorDMD, but you would still need the rest of the parts from this kit.
Here are the options as I see them now:
1. Full Chroma-Color kit with NT156WHM-N50 (TNA type) display panel - $329
2. DIY-ish Chroma-Color kit not including, but programmed for a LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1 (ColorDMD type) display panel - $279
3. Cancellation and refund of your pre-order
Also, a long shot would be that I could still find a source for LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1 display panels. I don't need any firm decisions until mid-April when I start ordering parts.

For me it would be a no-brainer. Color over no-color every time. Single color DMD is just so dated looking.

#48 5 years ago

I would just buy it without the display. Doesn't look like either of the model numbers you listed are hard to get as a single unit. Now, ordering in bulk I understand why its not feasible as I don't see anyone selling in quantity.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I would just buy it without the display. Doesn't look like either of the model numbers you listed are hard to get as a single unit. Now, ordering in bulk I understand why its not feasible as I don't see anyone selling in quantity.

You do have to read the fine print very closely. The majority of these are selling "compatible" displays. They'll most likely ship you a N156HGE-L11 which does have the same electrical interface, but is not the same quality.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

You do have to read the fine print very closely. The majority of these are selling "compatible" displays. They'll most likely ship you a N156HGE-L11 which does have the same electrical interface, but is not the same quality.

In which case it would get shipped back. I am looking at what they list as the model number of the item in the description, not at compatibility. They are available, and this route is more expensive than 329. they are also not available in bulk which is why I totally get why you have presented the options you have. Guessing the display will cost closer to 100, but won't order it till you finalize things.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-display-for-america-s-most-haunted-it-s-happening?hl=spookykt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.