0609191859c (resized).jpg
0609191859 (resized).jpg
amhcolor (resized).jpg
20190518_074103 (resized).jpg
20190518_074218 (resized).jpg
20190518_073706 (resized).jpg
fri3 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

Finally got around to installing mine - the machine has been out on hire at someone’s House for 3 months. No problems with the installation. Can someone let us know us when there is an updated file with more colorisation? Like what’s there so far but don’t want to get left behind with updates! Thanks

#202 4 years ago

Ive done very little. New house and new job have consumed my free time.

#203 4 years ago

I'll definitely post here if/when there are any updates, and they will be available for download from my website:
http://ledocd.com/amh_color/

1 week later
#204 4 years ago

Ive started on the "DAA" animation which is reused in a set of animations. Its going to take a while to do. I could probably do it a little faster with the adobe source files, but I'll see how long this takes before I go down that path. I will definitely be cutting down the number of colors as I go along.

#205 4 years ago

Awesome, Malenko . I'm really excited to see how you progress.

As a complete novice in coloring dots, I found the hand drawn animations to be relatively easy, but when I came across the ones that were scaled down video sequences, I had hit my breaking point. Things like L3A look simple, but that took me a LOT of time.

When I started thinking about trying to do something like P1A by just coloring the dots, I just couldn't fathom it. That's where I think going Adobe would really help.

#206 4 years ago

I still have all the After Effect files if that would help.

7 months later
#207 3 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Finally got around to installing mine - the machine has been out on hire at someone’s House for 3 months. No problems with the installation. Can someone let us know us when there is an updated file with more colorisation? Like what’s there so far but don’t want to get left behind with updates! Thanks

I just bought a AMH yesterday and it came with this kit Uninstalled. Does the game feel incomplete with the colorization where it's at now?

Thanks

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from Timfenske11:

I just bought a AMH yesterday and it came with this kit Uninstalled. Does the game feel incomplete with the colorization where it's at now?
Thanks

I think it's heaps better with the colour DMD installed, makes a huge improvement.

#209 3 years ago

There have also been a couple of updates (more scenes colored) since the displays shipped. I'd suggest you do the installation prior to updating the SD card so you know it's working. Then, you can download the updated files here:

If you would like to see the state of the coloring before you decide:
http://ledocd.com/amh_color/view_table.html

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from db666:

I think it's heaps better with the colour DMD installed, makes a huge improvement.

Quoted from herg:

There have also been a couple of updates (more scenes colored) since the displays shipped. I'd suggest you do the installation prior to updating the SD card so you know it's working. Then, you can download the updated files here:
If you would like to see the state of the coloring before you decide:
http://ledocd.com/amh_color/view_table.html

I appreciate the responses. Given the state of coloring I am definitely going to install it. I was worried that it was mostly incomplete.

Thanks
Tim

1 month later
#211 3 years ago

Good afternoon! I am late to the party! My NOB America's Most Haunted will arrive this Saturday. I would LOVE color on this game. Would anyone have one of these that they purchased, didn't use and want to sell? If not, any advice on building the PIN2DMD display for AMH? Best place to buy the hardware, list of what I'll need, skills required, etc ...? If any of you are willing to share your wisdom, I sincerely appreciate you!

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Mdanielb:

Good afternoon! I am late to the party! My NOB America's Most Haunted will arrive this Saturday. I would LOVE color on this game. Would anyone have one of these that they purchased, didn't use and want to sell? If not, any advice on building the PIN2DMD display for AMH? Best place to buy the hardware, list of what I'll need, skills required, etc ...? If any of you are willing to share your wisdom, I sincerely appreciate you!

contact dpannell

#213 3 years ago

Thank you!
For those of you who have viewed both options in AMH, do you prefer the LCD display, or the PIN2DMD LED display in this game? My game room is in a walk-out basement, and does have some natural light, so I’d like the display to be bright. I appreciate your advice and opinions!

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from Mdanielb:

I've got one still in the box. Never installed.

$375 shipped, for anyone interested.

Added over 4 years ago:

Sold.

#215 3 years ago

I prefer the LCD, myself, which is why I built those. I then worked with Lucky to get the PIN2DMD option working for those late to the party.

On the plus side, LED is brighter, and the black levels are better. Colors turn out a little weird in places. There was also no way to double buffer, according to @lucky, so you can see some tearing, if you're really picky.

#216 3 years ago

I have had ColorDMD and DMD Extenders in a few games. For AMH I missed out on the LCD option so I bought the RGB panel solution. I have to say, I dig it! I didn't think I'd like it but I do. It's nice having color "dots" and I love how vibrant the colors are. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

There are a ton of PIN2DMD pictures here...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtRwZf2jW5o3c9eM7

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from Mdanielb:

Thank you!
For those of you who have viewed both options in AMH, do you prefer the LCD display, or the PIN2DMD LED display in this game? My game room is in a walk-out basement, and does have some natural light, so I’d like the display to be bright. I appreciate your advice and opinions!

LCD over the dmd. I have plenty of color dmds with leds in my other games, this looks more modern. Having had rz which came with this setup, for anyone who didn't know they would think amh was built this way.

2 months later
#218 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm more than willing to look at the colorization files. I've colored a pretty good number of games and I like to think I know what I'm doing.
I have them downloaded (the TIFs) are there any limits I should know about, like number of colors or anything like that?

Malenko Is there still a chance for this?

#219 3 years ago

Unfortunately , I'm not used to working with the file types associated with this. I also recently became a dad and got a promotion at work, so my free time is practically nil.

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

...I also recently became a dad...

Congratulations!

Completely understandable your free time dropping to zero. Enjoy the new life!

9 months later
#221 2 years ago

Keeping the faith bump.

1 week later
#222 2 years ago

Funny, as I was thinking about this again recently. I could probably force my way through and color some more scenes, but I'm convinced that I just don't have the artistic eye to really do a good job on the coloring. I am somewhat hopeful that as the ColorDMD remaining list grows shorter, that someone will feel inspired to shift over to AMH.

5 months later
#223 2 years ago

I've been playing my AMH more since installing Medisinyl 's awesome mod set, and it reminds me that there are some scenes that could still use some coloring / improvement. If anyone with an artistic eye wants to take a shot at some coloring, please PM me. I have the Adobe source files that Ben sent me, and I did enough with them to figure out how things were organized and to figure out the process. I can also handle the post-processing. I have just realized that I don't have the skill necessary to do an A+ job of coloring.

#224 2 years ago

I'd donate $100 towards someone doing this. I know it's not much but maybe if those of us who aren't talented enough pool our money someone can get a little extra cash for this project.

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I'd donate $100 towards someone doing this. I know it's not much but maybe if those of us who aren't talented enough pool our money someone can get a little extra cash for this project.

I'd add another $100 for a completed set of files of comparable quality to a ColorDMD release or a good PIN2DMD. Even with me doing the work of conversion from AVI to SD card files, it is a lot of work. I believe it would have to be someone with a vested interest, or at least a pinhead to get it "right".

3 months later
#227 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'd add another $100 for a completed set of files of comparable quality to a ColorDMD release or a good PIN2DMD. Even with me doing the work of conversion from AVI to SD card files, it is a lot of work. I believe it would have to be someone with a vested interest, or at least a pinhead to get it "right".

I would add another 100 for a completed set

Is that 300 total now?

#228 2 years ago

What does colorizing entail? My brother is a graphic designer and works fairly cheap if the project interests him.

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from Timfenske11:

What does colorizing entail? My brother is a graphic designer and works fairly cheap if the project interests him.

Basically you have the DMD image in your editor. You click a color then click a pixel to make it that color. Repeat about a million times

There may be some tools that assist with this process (i.e. apply same color changes to the next frame, and only manually recolor those pixels which have changed) but no matter the method it's a very time consuming effort.

#230 2 years ago

For AMH, it's not quite as bad as that. Ben gave us assets and permission to use them. Animations were done in Adobe After Effects and Premiere. Some of them actually had color in those source files, and I was able to keep it. Export AVI video clips from those tools, and I have written my own conversion tools for making them work with the color displays.

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from Timfenske11:

I would add another 100 for a completed set
Is that 300 total now?

I'll up my initial offer to $200.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I'll up my initial offer to $200.

I will also chip in $100 to getting this done. I'm not talented enough to do it but willing to contribute to someone who is.

I could probably ping Eric (He's done more ColorDMD games than anyone except the founders) but I don't know how much time he has on his plate...

Jaz

#233 2 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

I will also chip in $100 to getting this done. I'm not talented enough to do it but willing to contribute to someone who is.
I could probably ping Eric (He's done more ColorDMD games than anyone except the founders) but I don't know how much time he has on his plate...
Jaz

I also contacted Herg and gave him my brothers info to see if this is a project he can take on. He is a big Ben Heck fan and the person who told me about him. Also the main reason I ended up with Rob Zombie and eventuall AMY when it became available locally.

I will help to spearhead the effort in any way I can to get this done.

It looks like there is 500 total in the pool for a completed set currently

JeffF - 200
Herg - 100
Jazman - 100
Timfenske11-100

I will make a post in the owners forum to see if others are interested.

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from Timfenske11:

I also contacted Herg and gave him my brothers info

Thanks for helping to move this in the right direction. Even if he doesn't decide to take it on, I appreciate it, and I sent him some info.

Also, I did try the Fiver approach, but I didn't get any responses that I was convinced even knew what I was asking about. The closest of them were doing pixel art stills and didn't mention any video tools in their profile.

#235 2 years ago

Here's a quick example of coloring a scene.

Step 1 - Color the separate Photoshop files. Ben's files had the water gun image for me to use as a guide.
1_Photoshop (resized).PNG1_Photoshop (resized).PNG

Step 2 - Export animations from After Effects. Ben used AE to do things like sliding the water gun PSD in from the side of the frame, flip from the normal ghost to the sprayed ghost, etc. to turn the stills into video. The export settings are important.
2_AfterEffects (resized).PNG2_AfterEffects (resized).PNG

Step 3 - Export the clips from Premiere. Some of these just use the AE clips without modification. Others, Ben is doing extra work within Premiere. Luckily, I just have to select the clip work area and export.
3_Premiere (resized).PNG3_Premiere (resized).PNG

Step 4 - Run the AVI file through my conversion tools, and I get files to put on the SD card, as well as an animated GIF to make it easy to preview without having to put it in the game.
M8A.gifM8A.gif

#236 2 years ago

For us late comers, anything special to call out when wiring in or configuring pin2dmd for use in a later run AMH? Sorry if this has already been answered--saw the instructions at http://ledocd.com/amh_color/ and read through the thread, but I wasn't 100% confident how it varied (if at all) relative to a "normal" pin2dmd setup.

#237 2 years ago

Biggest thing I learned was to make sure you format the SD card and not just erase it.

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Biggest thing I learned was to make sure you format the SD card and not just erase it.

Noted

#239 2 years ago

There are some newly colored scenes posted. I know that even though I've never made it to Demon Battle, you guys play it all the time. I finally took the time to color those scenes. I also did the Minion hits.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-display-for-america-s-most-haunted-it-s-happening/page/5?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.