0609191859c (resized).jpg
0609191859 (resized).jpg
amhcolor (resized).jpg
20190518_074103 (resized).jpg
20190518_074218 (resized).jpg
20190518_073706 (resized).jpg
fri3 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

In which case it would get shipped back.

If you go that route, I wish you luck. It's VERY common. Just last night, a friend who buys displays often was talking to his supplier on my behalf. He told them I needed a LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1. They quoted a LP156WF1-TLF3 equivalent, and sure enough, it was a N156HGE-L11. Even the spec sheets say the N156HGE-L11 is the same, but I have one, and it's not.

It would suck for you to pay additional for the better display, then end up with one that is basically the same performance as I'm planning to use. It would have sucked even more for me to have that happen in bulk.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you go that route, I wish you luck. It's VERY common. Just last night, a friend who buys displays often was talking to his supplier on my behalf. He told them I needed a LP156WF1-TLF3 or B156HW02 v1. They quoted a LP156WF1-TLF3 equivalent, and sure enough, it was a N156HGE-L11. Even the spec sheets say the N156HGE-L11 is the same, but I have one, and it's not.
It would suck for you to pay additional for the better display, then end up with one that is basically the same performance as I'm planning to use. It would have sucked even more for me to have that happen in bulk.

Paypal sides with the buyer. A screenshot of the ad + a pic of the model number on the display would get it refunded. Just extra work / hoops to jump through.

#53 5 years ago

Unless it's a name brand part China is a crap shoot of crap.

That's why AMH has a "Ghost color mode" in the menu because halfway through production the pinout color order on the RGB LEDs changed. And that was a tape and reel component!

People who do have a good supply chain won't share their info because they don't want their chains affected like animals fighting over a Chinese water hole.

#54 5 years ago

Ugh! Who wants to test their luck on this crap shoot? Buy $3000 worth of displays from a company in China. This company is supposedly trusted according to an exchange website that I've never heard of before. They offered pictures in lieu of a paid sample. Oh, and they don't want to ship outside mainland China.

#55 5 years ago

Not really into rolling the dice like that.
-Mike

#56 5 years ago

Me either, but I'm trying my best to get the best displays I can for you guys.

I'm very close to having to throw in the towel, ship the standard display (which honestly is still good), and I'll be willing to help anyone who wants to upgrade now or later.

#57 5 years ago

I’m still in on this regardless of the display. Either way it’ll be way better than what is in my game now.

#58 5 years ago

...and I'm not trying to force anyone into buying anything, but it's unlikely that the Chroma-Color boards will be produced again after this. There is no other good use for them that I can think of that would warrant a decent sized build, and in small quantity, they are very expensive. If you think you might ever want to add color to AMH, this might be your only chance.

#59 5 years ago

What would it cost to buy a spare with our kit? Reason I ask it would suck if the board fails down the road and we have no way of fixing it. Some of us might be willing to pony up for an extra.

#60 5 years ago

I'm planning to buy a few extra to have in case of failed boards. If you wanted your own, it's looking like $80 based on the current number of pre-orders.

#61 5 years ago

Would there be a difference if you went to a rgb led panel instead of a LCD?

#62 5 years ago

First, I'd have to redesign a bunch of stuff. The part of the FPGA code that drives the display panel would have to be completely written and I'd have to design a bracket to hold all the parts. I'm just looking to finish THIS project as best I can for now.

It would however, look like a LED panel. It wouldn't have the off angle issue. I'm not a huge fan of the LED screens, though. They seem overly bright to me, and I can pick out the individual colors in each dot. If someone else wanted to take that on, I'd be willing to answer questions, and I think it would be OK for me to share my FPGA code.

#63 5 years ago

You also need to factor in a 10% failure rate from China into your costs. IE you need to order 110 screens to get 100 working screens.

Most of the ColorDMD games I see now have the LED's. I think they look fine. Maybe talk to Randy? Also Aaaron from FAST pinball has a display like that too.

#64 5 years ago

Agree Herg, LCD looks way better than LED panels. Stay the course!

Quoted from herg:

First, I'd have to redesign a bunch of stuff. The part of the FPGA code that drives the display panel would have to be
completely written and I'd have to design a bracket to hold all the parts. I'm just looking to finish THIS project as best I can for now.
It would however, look like a LED panel. It wouldn't have the off angle issue. I'm not a huge fan of the LED screens, though. They seem overly bright to me, and I can pick out the individual colors in each dot. If someone else wanted to take that on, I'd be willing to answer questions, and I think it would be OK for me to share my FPGA code.

#65 5 years ago

I also prefer the LCD to the LED so stick with that please...

Jaz

#66 5 years ago

Yes, I will be sticking with LCD.

The next real milestone, other than if lightning strikes and I get the improved panel, will be when the first article board arrives on around 4/1. The plan is to test it and ship a single display to a volunteer to take their game to MGC.

Edit: To be more clear, I am not asking for a volunteer. Someone already suggested the idea and volunteered in the process.

#67 5 years ago

This is awesome, just placed my pre-order. Thank you for doing this!

#68 5 years ago

I'm in. Deposit sent and thank you Herg!

#69 5 years ago

Deposit placed...thanks Herg for spearheading this! Looking forward to checking out the progress at MGC.

#70 5 years ago

I'm patiently awaiting the first article board to arrive... maybe not so patiently. I just want to get this show on the road.

I do have a few things to keep me occupied until I can order parts in quantity. The cheap stuff, I ordered extra and started prepping things. Bags with instruction sheets are ready, I've started building power cables, I have anti-static bags and boxes, etc.

I had thought that I would order a few extra boards for stragglers, and I thought I had a good estimate for the maximum number of kits to build, but I'm starting to think you guys might blow through that number prior to MGC. I'm debating between placing the PCB order just after I verify the first article board or waiting until a few days after MGC. Waiting would add about 3 weeks to the schedule, but I still think delivery in early July would be possible. Like I said, though, I'm really impatient (excited) to get these out to you.

#71 5 years ago

I’m in no rush. Don’t even have the game yet.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I had thought that I would order a few extra boards for stragglers, and I thought I had a good estimate for the maximum number of kits to build, but I'm starting to think you guys might blow through that number prior to MGC. I'm debating between placing the PCB order just after I verify the first article board or waiting until a few days after MGC. Waiting would add about 3 weeks to the schedule, but I still think delivery in early July would be possible. Like I said, though, I'm really impatient (excited) to get these out to you.

I think you should wait and get the solid number of purchases together so no one is left behind.
Owners of AMH have waited this long, what's a few more weeks to get everyone on board.
My .02
-Mike

#73 5 years ago

You're probably right. One reason I've tried to limit the time is that people with interest early tend to lose interest as time goes on. There is no such thing as a solid number, and it wouldn't matter if I waited a year, there would still be people who miss the chance and want one later.

With some other projects, I've had an "interested" list that usually around 25% of people bail out on by the time the project is done. With something like this, there's a very limited market, so any kits that I get stuck with are harder to sell. That's the main reason I've asked for a deposit. I hope that limits the list to real interest and I'll have less attrition.

I don't want to drag this out, but I do want everyone who might want one to have a chance. More people also means I'm spending more on parts up front, and this is a relatively expensive project for me. Plus, I'm just really excited to see these in other people's games.

#74 5 years ago

I’m in !
Just paid the deposit

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

More people also means I'm spending more on parts up front, and this is a relatively expensive project for me.

herg you have a very good standing with me(purchased from you previously) and others in the community and if you needed some extra money down to take some weight off you just say so.
I would gladly send over more deposit to help.
-Mike

#76 5 years ago

I appreciate the offer, but I've got it. It HAS gotten a bit bigger than I expected, but I can (and would rather) fund it with OCD money. Just don't leave me holding a bunch of extra kits, and we're all good.

#77 5 years ago

Hell, I would prefer to give you the money now. At least I know I’m gonna get a color display when they are ready instead of struggling to hold on to the cash. You know, there is always something more to but in pinball

#78 5 years ago

How are you ensuring all the LCD's match?

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How are you ensuring all the LCD's match?

I'm buying a batch of all the same model numbers from a single supplier. Are you suggesting that there is an issue that I may be overlooking? Why would it matter if they didn't match? Worst case, a location somewhere might have multiple games sitting beside each other.

#80 5 years ago

Still waiting patiently for that first board. It supposed to ship on April 1.

In the meantime, here's a really boring picture of the accessories bag I put together for our MGC volunteer.

20190320_172718 (resized).jpg20190320_172718 (resized).jpg
#81 5 years ago

Im in, just paid deposit as well.
cheers

#82 5 years ago

Oooo pretty

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Im in, just paid deposit as well.
cheers

Just heard about this on a TWIP podcast and paid my deposit. I'm in Australia as well but I'll be heading over to Pinburgh for pick up after shipping to him. I have a nice USA friend that will bring it along for me - anyone else need theirs picked up too?

#85 5 years ago

*delete*

#86 5 years ago

So, this arrived today.

IMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0344 (resized).JPG
#87 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

So, this arrived today.
[quoted image]

OMFG!!!!! FASTER FASTER FASTER

#88 5 years ago

I didnt mean the invoice.

#89 5 years ago

There were no surprises during programming or testing, so I packaged it up, ready to ship to our MGC volunteer.

1 week later
#90 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Just heard about this on a TWIP podcast and paid my deposit. I'm in Australia as well but I'll be heading over to Pinburgh for pick up after shipping to him. I have a nice USA friend that will bring it along for me - anyone else need theirs picked up too?

I might just take you up on that offer dendoc - I paid my deposit and have been trying to figure out how to get it to Oz..

#91 4 years ago

The suspense is killing me. I'm really excited to see these in other people's games.

I'm nearly finished programming all the SD cards. That has taken a lot longer than I expected. I think it will make the installations go much smoother though since you guys won't have to download anything or write the SD card, at least until there's an update.

#92 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how it looks at MGC!

If you're already doing the cards, does that mean you're ahead of schedule on the 6/1/date?

#93 4 years ago

Very cool mod, looking forward to checking it out at MGC

Jeremy

#94 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it as well!

There aren't going to be any more code updates BTW.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

If you're already doing the cards, does that mean you're ahead of schedule on the 6/1/date?

I'm trying to have accessory kits prepped so that once I get boards, I'm only dealing with the displays. I'm currently looking at early/mid May for the boards to arrive, so 6/1 is probably a good estimate for shipping.

Quoted from benheck:

There aren't going to be any more code updates BTW.

Hopefully, there will be updated files with more (all) scenes colored.

#96 4 years ago

So....let’s end the suspense.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#97 4 years ago

Install went great. Instructions are clear and succinct. Everything is perfect. Spend the money people. Worth every penny

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Spend the money people. Worth every penny

Along those lines, all of the displays that I'm building during this project are currently claimed. If you would like to be put on the waiting list in case one frees up, you can get on the waitlist here.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=39

If anyone that currently has a pre-order needs to bail out I wouldn't mind having a FEW available for people that really want them. Send me PM or email if something has changed and you want to cancel.

Oh, and don't panic if you're left out. I'm working on other options, and I believe something will be available in the future. It won't be a kit like this one, but you should still have options.

#99 4 years ago

I cannot wait for this. Looks great!

#100 4 years ago

Can someone attending MGC please take some video footage and post it here! Thank you in advance, this is very exciting!

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-display-for-america-s-most-haunted-it-s-happening/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.