8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bear-hug.jpg
    images.jpeg

#1 8 years ago

How many of you consider yourself players vs. collectors? I had somebody call me a collector and i bristled at the thought. I guess i like to see myself as a player who just happens to have enough spare cash to have a few machines. Am I the only that feels that being called a collector has a negative conotation?

No offense to the collectors out there. It's just that I buy mine to play them and they'll be gone when I'm sick of them (so somebody else can enjoy them) as opposed to sitting unplayed to complete a collection.

I probably sound like a troll but maybe i am.

-dave

#2 8 years ago

I would call myself a little of both. With limited room, I like to trade around a bit. I dont consider any of mine keepers, as I want to try so many others. With more than one, I would say thats a collection. But Im a player. If I stop enjoying one, time to trade for another one.

#3 8 years ago

i feel the same way,no offense to the many collectors. i know a few that truly love pinball as i do. i also know a couple that to them pinball is just another investment. and having the top rated pins to show off feeds their ego.they never play them and look down their nose at any pin that is not a collector quality big bang bar or medieval madness. so to answer your question i consider myself a pinball fanatic that owns a couple of pins and im looking for more.

#4 8 years ago

I can't really be called anything yet because I don't have my first machine yet, but I would consider myself a player. I have been shopping around lately and I just can't see myself paying 4k for a machine that I can find elsewhere for 2k. I fully appreciate the quality of the 4k machine but just can't justify the cost if they both play the same. Who knows, that might all change when I have a few pins in my collection.

#5 8 years ago

How many pins does one buy before it starts becoming a "collection"?

If you have a collection of pins doesn't that make you a collector?

I think a person can be both, player and collector without there being any negative
    conotations attached to being a collector.

I guess it all depends on each person's definition of what a collector is and isn't, and
    on the number of pins you have before getting lumped into the collector category.

Look at Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno, both car collectors. They have huge numbers of cars.
    They also have a love of fine automobiles, they love them. I don't see anything negative about that.

If a person has 20+ pins, you definitely have a collection in my book. I don't see anything wrong with that. You obviously LOVE pinball machines to spend that amount of money on those pins, so what's the big deal about being a "collector"?

Where it turns negative for me is going from collector to hoarder. If you have a warehouse, barn or other large storage facility where you're sitting on hundreds of pins, most of them powered down gathering dust and not being played...that's worse to me than being a collector.

For me a collector appreciates the beauty and value of their collection, and they play the pins they own and let others play them as well. That's my 2cents worth...

#6 8 years ago

I am without a doubt both a player and a collector. I play my pins daily, and even go seek out routed pins on a regular basis. At the same time, I really enjoy having a collection, working on my pins, and above all, sharing them with others. Watching my guests play my pins gives me almost as much satisfaction as playing them myself.

#8 8 years ago

please keep in mind that i'm NOT pointing fingers at anybody here nor am i saying it's a bad thing to collect. i just want people to think of ME as a player first and a collector second. I don't think my three crappy pins qualify me as a collector yet, anyhow.

I think the point JWS64 makes about the hoarding in storage facilities is quite valid. i know of a guy near me that supposedly has over 100 pins in a barn and they are supposedly not for sale at any reasonable price and they are just sitting there unplayed. so sad.

#9 8 years ago

Below your name it says, "Has 3 games in collection."

I'm just pointing that out..

#10 8 years ago

Player. Because I only own one pin and I drive long distances just to play pinball at arcades.

#11 8 years ago

i think you forget to mention this main issue regarding players...tournaments. i'd say there's plenty of 'players' people that enjoy pins. then there are the 'real players', people that compete nationally and/or travel to many tourneys. i find there's 2 kinds of players'

1. the average pinball enthusiast that plays at the bars with friends, or may own a machine or 4.

2. someone that plays pinball to defeat wizard modes and have world ranking status (ya, its funny but for real!). competes in large tourneys (chicage, san fran, vegas, colorado, east coast, midwest, etc).

regarding collectors, many do just have pins to have pins....which collect dust.

everyone loves pinball in their own individual ways, but there are large differences amongst us!!

#12 8 years ago

Someone who buys pinball machines (particularly A list) and doesn't play them is a POSER!
    Hey Bif, look at my new pinball machine. It's a Cactus Canyon. Its very rare and cost me twice as much as a new Stern.
    I say, Bradly, good show. You will surely be the envy of the chaps at the Yacht club this weekend. Is it fun to play?
    I don't know, I haven't played it yet. Don't want to damage it.

If you have pins in storage and won't sell them, you are a hoarder.

I myself like to collect pins, but I play all of them. I also love fixing, shopping and modding pins. Most of the pins I buy are non-working and need a lot of TLC. But that is just fine with me.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

Below your name it says, "Has 3 games in collection."
    I'm just pointing that out..

i know. it's pissing me off. lol.

i guess i'm making my "collection" info public in case anyone locally on the site wants to play them.

#14 8 years ago

I would have to agree with a few others and call myself a little of both. A "playector" or maybe a "collayer"; sorry, scratch that both sound horrible. But seriously, I bought my first machine because I love to play pinball. Three weeks later I bought my second machine and now I consider it a collection, and I will definitely add another when the chance comes along.

#15 8 years ago

I play my collection and collect to play them so..........

#16 8 years ago

Everybody forgets the 3rd category to this hobby: tinkering.

There are some people who rather just mod, rebuild, clean, etc... than play or collect.

Personally, I don't know anybody that just collects and doesn't like to play. I got a nice collection, but love to go to shows and people's houses to play machines I don't have. Haven't really met a game I hated.

#17 8 years ago

I am both. I play my collection almost everyday.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from JWS64:

I think a person can be both, player and collector without there being any negative
    conotations attached to being a collector.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Someone who buys pinball machines (particularly A list) and doesn't play them is a POSER!
    Hey Bif, look at my new pinball machine. It's a Cactus Canyon. Its very rare and cost me twice as much as a new Stern.
    I say, Bradly, good show. You will surely be the envy of the chaps at the Yacht club this weekend.

If you have pins in storage and won't sell them, you are a hoarder.

I do not think there is anything negative with being a collector. I consider myself a collector and play every pin I own(when working.) If you collect them just to have, I do not see a problem either as long as they are not sitting outside under a tarp getting ruined.

I collect them to play and look at. I have a Centaur I saved from a barn that is trashed. It is not worth fixing but I cannot part it out. I do not want to see a good cabinet gone. Once money is better and I find a playfield and backglass I am going to restore it because I love pinball.

I agree there are different levels of players, but there are more than two. I was more of a recreational player before I met SC, now I follow the rules more. nothing near tourney player.

We are in a minority even if we own one pin. Why bicker about anybody but posers?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

That's kinda where I'm at. I'd rather buy a pin needing some TLC at a discount and fix it up, even if I put the same amount of money into it that I would have paid for a nice one. I enjoy the satisfaction of playing a pin I brought back from the dead.

#20 8 years ago

I don't have the high end pins to be a collector. I got into pinball just to play and not to show, but I have a collection of old metal lunch boxes hanging in my gameroom for show.

#21 8 years ago

i'm surprised nobody has pointed out the collection theme/goals thread i started earlier today.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

I don't have the high end pins to be a collector. I got into pinball just to play and not to show, but I have a collection of old metal lunch boxes hanging in my gameroom.

really? I think your collection is awesome!

#23 8 years ago

I'm a player that loves to play so much that I feel like I need to start collecting some machines for personal home use, but I also see myself being able to sell games as I grow tired of them, and not have my collection grow exponentially. I also don't make a lot of money so my collection will always be limited to less than I would ultimately ever have otherwise.'

I don't see a collector being a bad connotation unless it is someone who doesn't play the machines at all, then that's lame! I equate it to when people call me "Chef", it pisses me off (long story, but cooks don't like the connotation that the term Chef carries with it) but ultimately it isn't meant maliciously, people just don't know any different.

#24 8 years ago

We are all just pinheads- plain and simple...
    Whether it be- Tournament player, Player, Collector, Modder, Techie, Hobbyist, Historian, Enthusiast, Junkie, Newbie, or Child.
    It all revolves around a silver ball and a intense desire to not let it roll down the drain...

Can we all hug now?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Can we all hug now?

Yes, I call for a collective group hug. Sorry if I offended anyone.

In regards to the aforementioned "bristling", I had someone in my house this weekend and they acted like I was a weirdo bc i had two pins in my family room. They used the "c word" and it bothered me for some reason.

#26 8 years ago

Why care to define. Innocent enough question, but each will define even player and collector differently.

My answer is “I collect to play”

#27 8 years ago

I had someone in my house this weekend and they acted like I was a weirdo bc i had two pins in my family room.

Maybe THEY were the weirdo Dave! Did you ever think of that???
    Just like any episode of "The Munsters", or "TAF", for that matter. When they walked around town or interacted with someone else from the outside world, they were simply acting normal and didn't see what the fuss was all about.

images.jpeg

If I could get away with it. I would put 10 pins in my family room!!!
    Mwahahahahaha!

#28 8 years ago

it doesent matter if its big bang bar or lethal weapon 3 to me. its all pinball and its all good. so call me a pin whore. if it has flippers and a steel ball i will play it.

#29 8 years ago

#30 8 years ago

I am a player that collects my favorites. Referring to my pins as a collection is just a definition. Being angry about that seems silly to me. No offence.

Also, is it now a requirement to have 20+ to call it a collection?

#31 8 years ago

Hi Definitely a player here. I collect them to play so if I stop playing a game it doesn't stay long. I don't play more than one at once so I don't need a lot of games. Between 3-6 working games suits me fine!

#32 8 years ago

Mixture.

#33 8 years ago

Can we all hug now?

bear-hug.jpg

I think the bear on the left looks a little like SC

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

This is why I'd go more toward hobbyist or enthusiast as a general categorization. Could include players (hard core or casual), collectors and tinkerers.

#35 8 years ago

I consider myself a bit of all three--player, collector, and tinkerer--but I wish I was a better player, had more space and disposable income to collect more pins, and knew more about how to fix pins. But that is part of the fun--its the whole process of trying to improve as a player, collector, and tinkerer that has me hooked on pinball...!

#36 8 years ago

I consider myself a fan/hobbyist... I'm not looking to have a huge collection, however I keep finding more and more machines I want to try.

I think in any hobby there will always be people who strive to have the best of everything and will tend to look down their noses at others. I guess some people just need to feel special. I come here to share a common interest in Pinball with others and everyone has different likes and dislikes about each game. That is what makes a community, and that is what keeps me coming back.

Technically we are all collectors as far as Pinside is concerned. After all even the web site says right there under your name "Has X games in "collection".

The REAL question is when do you go from being a collector to a hoarder?

#37 8 years ago

i guess maybe i see collecting as a gateway towards hoarding. That's where i'm afraid I'm headed, possibly, so maybe that's my hangup. Again, I'm talking about myself, now.

I'm not calling/accusing anyone here of hoarding, so let's not get offended.

#38 8 years ago

I'd say it's more of a total hobby with me. I love working on games and restoring basket cases is very fulfilling to me. I'm an ok player, and I play all my games. Searching for new games has to fill certain criteria for me, like whether the game is a known "fun" game or not. I don't buy games just to have another game in the collection. Early on I bought some games solely based on nostalgiac reasons, but now I look for well known fun titles only, because space is becoming an issue.

And yeah, any more than one game is a collection in my opinion. That's not bad though, not bad at all

#39 8 years ago

Both, but would not collect if I did not enjoy playing.

I play and therefore I need to collect in order to play. I collect what I enjoy playing

#40 8 years ago

I consider myself a pinball player but, we are all collectors just the same. The number of machines you own, or why you own them is irrelevant, you collect for one reason or another, sheer joy of playing, love of the artwork, light affects and gadgets....it's all the same, we're drawn like moths to the flame. Bottom line is we love the silver ball nothing more needs said.

#41 8 years ago

I collect them to play them. So I'm both. I also enjoy fixing them...most of the time anyhow, some problems can drive you mental haha

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

The number of machines you own, or why you own them is irrelevant, you collect for one reason or another, sheer joy of playing, love of the artwork, light affects and gadgets....it's all the same, we're drawn like moths to the flame. Bottom line is we love the silver ball nothing more needs said.

Well said, RWH!

#43 8 years ago

I started out as a collector but then realized I'm a player....if it doesn't play good it's gone.

#44 8 years ago

Tinkerer, casual player and collector.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I am without a doubt both a player and a collector. I play my pins daily, and even go seek out routed pins on a regular basis. At the same time, I really enjoy having a collection, working on my pins, and above all, sharing them with others. Watching my guests play my pins gives me almost as much satisfaction as playing them myself.

Well said!

#46 8 years ago

I only collect so I can play. I started buying pins because there aren't enough places (locally) to go to play working pins. Attending CAX once a year (not all games are in good working order) or driving up to the PPM (all games are near 100%) were my main fixes until I decided to own some. There is definitely satisfaction in both maintaining and playing my collection now.

But... I don't consider myself a collector, but don't take offense to it if someone calls me a collector. In my mind, a collector is looking for something to collect and to preserve. A collector wants the best example of what they collect. As a player, I just want to play the game, while it is working 100%. I'm willing to have a little playfield scuff or cabinet ding here or there (it helps on the pocketbook too!).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 88.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside