(Topic ID: 267841)

“Collector Quality” to needs some work after Pilot Freight delivery!

By Zplumb

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EB48BA2A-4109-4626-A32F-1EF1524DFA1B (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    CAE3A641-92E0-4D55-A4D1-60152956E0A4 (resized).png
    4E0064B1-7745-49CD-AC30-0A15978E458A (resized).png
    EECCDA6B-E7D8-4138-B345-C45ED94E8A9A (resized).jpeg
    A75C074E-120D-4CBB-B003-6EFC71FF3A19 (resized).jpeg
    16E5EA20-1906-44C3-B44A-9DDBCBD0F39B (resized).jpeg
    2FAA24A4-FFA4-4D38-8935-8C663489888C (resized).jpeg
    6212CE76-9981-4595-9020-602918FB59F8 (resized).jpeg
    01FD2C58-5104-4C20-8974-2AD18F13EBB5 (resized).jpeg
    41A46D09-3DB3-4CF2-8CD6-C1C70027BBD9 (resized).jpeg
    7F4DE5A3-27D3-4FF6-8AD6-BD91320E1391 (resized).jpeg
    DBAAE39F-C6C0-4C4E-9169-442B34387895 (resized).jpeg
    01E610C5-D6FA-4F33-AEAA-1FE876545D09 (resized).jpeg
    533FA125-691F-4078-B6A2-DEC9ED923436 (resized).jpeg
    34D86291-324C-449F-9861-4F68A429AA60 (resized).jpeg
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

Without insurance shipping was $397, with insurance ($7400) it was $430. There is literally no reason to not have insurance.

According to your numbers there are $33 reasons not to have insurance. It all depends on your tolerance for risk.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

According to your numbers there are $33 reasons not to have insurance. It all depends on your tolerance for risk.

$33 is change in the couch cushions after dropping 7k

#103 3 years ago

I'm sure that $33 in insurance works just like UPS's "insurance", where they have paragraphs and paragraphs of exclusions and packaging requirements that guarantees them to weasel out of any liability and is instead just a quick way to make $33.

#104 3 years ago

I can tell you that for Fastenal in order to get insurance the item must be crated. Fortunately I had a great seller who crated and delivered the crate to the store. Not particularly relevant here, but thought I'd mention it

#105 3 years ago

Sucks to see this!

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok can I guess it’s the one from this listing? Rails and every detail minus damage appear the same. If this is the one, I question the “I’m a shipping pro” comment lol.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/92601

According to ad, he's only "kind of a pro at it".

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

To echo this, I just signed for delivery of my Jurassic Park Premium (via STI). Without insurance shipping was $397, with insurance ($7400) it was $430. There is literally no reason to not have insurance.

yep, I usually over insure all mine as well.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

$33 is change in the couch cushions after dropping 7k

exactly. When you are spending $6-8 grand what is $50?

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

According to ad, he's only "kind of a pro at it".

So did the seller buy insurance or not?

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

So did the seller buy insurance or not?

Did not!

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zplumb:

Just wanted to give you guys an idea what I’m dealing with! He has the same pics I’ve got on this thread.....
    [quoted image]

You should name the seller -- he sounds like a d-bag. That isn't everyone here!

And I am so sorry about your situation, I know from personal experience how much this sucks. And given you wanted to share it with your son (which again I relate to).
    I wouldn't respond to 80% of ppl on this thread, they are just being utterly unhelpful. Everyone is full of great advice -> until it happens to them!

#112 3 years ago

Well hopefully he's doing something to rectify the issue as now that I know the facts he needs to take responsibility....if he thinks its a $200 fix than offer to ship it back him (at your expense) and get your money back...he can fix for $200 and resell the game....

#113 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about this fiasco OP. It will be a long and painful process, but I hope you get your fair resolution you're looking for. I've always been nervous to ship my own games because of potential situations like this.

I did ask a local Pinsider who shipped three games in about a month's time, how he packs games for shipment. I think he gives solid advice, and it gave me a good laugh too.

Here is his process:

"I always have the game in my garage and ready to go the day before shipping.

Here is my packing process:
    -Coin box out. Balls out.
    -Fold the head down (cardboard between the head and the game)
    -Cut cardboard to cover the entire machine
    -Shrink wrap the shit out of it (the good thick stuff from home depot)
    -Tip the game up and take off the legs, shrink each separately and then together as one
    -Continue to shrink wrap the shit out of it until you think you're overdoing it. Then continue shrink wrapping!
    -Lastly, shrink wrap the coin box to the front of the machine (game on it's back, coin door facing up, set the coin box there and wrap over it)

The shippers will show up and take the machine with the coin box. Don't forget to give them the legs. Then you're all done."

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Sorry to hear about this fiasco OP. It will be a long and painful process, but I hope you get your fair resolution you're looking for. I've always been nervous to ship my own games because of potential situations like this.
    I did ask a local Pinsider who shipped three games in about a month's time, how he packs games for shipment. I think he gives solid advice, and it gave me a good laugh too.
    Here is his process:
    "I always have the game in my garage and ready to go the day before shipping.
    Here is my packing process:
    -Coin box out. Balls out.
    -Fold the head down (cardboard between the head and the game)
    -Cut cardboard to cover the entire machine
    -Shrink wrap the shit out of it (the good thick stuff from home depot)
    -Tip the game up and take off the legs, shrink each separately and then together as one
    -Continue to shrink wrap the shit out of it until you think you're overdoing it. Then continue shrink wrapping!
    -Lastly, shrink wrap the coin box to the front of the machine (game on it's back, coin door facing up, set the coin box there and wrap over it)
    The shippers will show up and take the machine with the coin box. Don't forget to give them the legs. Then you're all done."

Thats how my guy shipped the game with a couple caveats....after the initial cardboard, shrink wrap he installed blankets and then shrink wrapped again, wrapped the legs and shrink wrapped to game, then wrapped and shrink wrapped the coin box on top, strapped to a pallet and called it good....its a lot of work for the seller, but its worth the extra work (if u have the right seller)

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats how my guy shipped the game with a couple caveats....after the initial cardboard, shrink wrap he installed blankets and then shrink wrapped again, wrapped the legs and shrink wrapped to game, then wrapped and shrink wrapped the coin box on top, strapped to a pallet and called it good....its a lot of work for the seller, but its worth the extra work (if u have the right seller)

Just fair warning- I shipped one pin that was well wrapped before they got there and they refused to indicate it was in good condition on the paperwork and marked it "unable to inspect".

The guys handling it did have a valid point.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Just fair warning- I shipped one pin that was well wrapped before they got there and they refused to indicate it was in good condition on the paperwork and marked it "unable to inspect".

Happy u mentioned that....the guy who shipped mine waited for them to arrive, and take photos before they packaged the game up for shipping....he had everything ready to wrap so it only took about 30 minutes to strap to the pallet.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

You should name the seller -- he sounds like a d-bag. That isn't everyone here!
    And I am so sorry about your situation, I know from personal experience how much this sucks. And given you wanted to share it with your son (which again I relate to).
    I wouldn't respond to 80% of ppl on this thread, they are just being utterly unhelpful. Everyone is full of great advice -> until it happens to them!

The selling listing and seller have been posted several times.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Happy u mentioned that....the guy who shipped mine waited for them to arrive, and take photos before they packaged the game up for shipping....he had everything ready to wrap so it only took about 30 minutes to strap to the pallet.

Will the delivery company wait for you to wrap it all up? I would think they have a schedule they might need to keep?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Excellent point.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Will the delivery company wait for you to wrap it all up? I would think they have a schedule they might need to keep?

Excellent point.

Like I've said I've never shipped a pin so I have zero experience with that. That being said they waited for my seller, and they took a dozen or so pictures to document condition. I also had mine insured for $9K

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Like I've said I've never shipped a pin so I have zero experience with that. That being said they waited for my seller, and they took a dozen or so pictures to document condition. I also had mine insured for $9K

I bet because they were insuring it for 9K, they want to make sure they understand the condition before it disappears in a mountain of shrink wrap.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I bet because they were insuring it for 9K, they want to make sure they understand the condition before it disappears in a mountain of shrink wrap.

Probably correct....like someone mentioned earlier. I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't throw an extra $100 on big insurance. If your paying $5K+ on a game who cares about another $100 if u get some leverage with the shipper.....I guess the buyers lesson is not making sure the seller didn't insure his game, and the sellers lesson is not insuring it! They both made mistakes....

#122 3 years ago

I shipped some high value pins, insured, with STI. They noted 'insured: high claim value' on the bill of lading for all to see. No shipping issues.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. The seller should make this right, since he claimed to be an experienced shipper.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

This was purchased from a private collector. Would you cover the damages if I shipped a machine from you? Would it be cool if I charged you back?
    EDIT: Apparently the seller included shipping in the deal, cheaped out with freight and lost the gamble. Claiming to be an "expert" shipper doesn't help relieve him of responsibility either.
    WRONG ->: The buyer cheaped out on shipping by going freight and lost the gamble.

This is the reason I roll my eyes at every “shipping is included!!” Listing. I would never accept that arrangement on a pinball machine.

How about you and I come up with a sale price on the game that we can both be happy with, and I’ll deal with having it shipped like I do every time? Shipping a pinball machine isn’t like a key fob or a flyer you just throw in to sweeten a deal. It’s important, it’s expensive, and it needs to be done right, and I’m not interested in getting it “free” when I know you have every incentive to maximize your profit by shipping it as cheaply as possible.

Same goes for buyers who offer me my asking price “if you include shipping!” WTF are you talking about man? Gimme a break.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

A thread like this should make a lot of people look towards the small dedicated shippers like Bob Cunningham and Fast Eddie. Those guys do an amazing job.

They do but these aren’t realistic or timely solutions for many jobs. Eddie is always my first call if I’m buying or selling a game within about 400 miles but it just isn’t going to work if the game is going to California.

#125 3 years ago

Zplumb sorry to hear! Truly the shipping of these $$$ games is probably the low point of this hobby. Every time we have a game shipped I freak the "F" out until the pin is up on it's legs and on. Now, during pre-ZOMBIE apocalypse is just not a good time to ship. We tried several of the small time shippers incl. Bob Cunningham and everyone was on lock down and was not on the road at all. After a month of the pin sitting in the seller's garage, we hesitantly hired STI w/ insurance. My lady watched the driver man handle the pin out of the truck, even after she it was super fragile. I can't imagine what these machines are subjected to when no one is around to supervise.

#126 3 years ago

Doesn't STI at least have a basic amount of coverage? Like $1200 or so?

Anyway, here's the guy. https://www.google.com/search?q=doc+brundys&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GFRC#spf=1588729037166

Used to have a bunch of pins in this "dave and busters" type place. It went under becuase his payment system sucked and the food was outrageously expensive. He's always listed his pins for way too high but "free shipping!" Guess he was going cheap on the shipping so make it look like a good deal.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Doesn't STI at least have a basic amount of coverage? Like $1200 or so?
    Anyway, here's the guy. https://www.google.com/search?q=doc+brundys&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GFRC#spf=1588729037166
    Used to have a bunch of pins in this "dave and busters" type place. It went under becuase his payment system sucked and the food was outrageously expensive. He's always listed his pins for way too high but "free shipping!" Guess he was going cheap on the shipping so make it look like a good deal.

Yes, sti gives around $1200 worth of insurance for the minimum delivery price.

#128 3 years ago

Someone just listed a NOS TDK lower cabinet. Doesn't help with any head damage though.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95752

#129 3 years ago

Talk about serendipitous

#130 3 years ago

so whats the update? Im interested to see if the seller is doing anything to make this right?

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grimstead:

Talk about serendipitous

No kidding.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Someone just listed a NOS TDK lower cabinet. Doesn't help with any head damage though.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95752

How about we all chip in and buy this for the OP? I'm in for $50.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

I’ll help

#134 3 years ago

How about the seller pays for it ...like he should have paid the $500 for proper insured shipping.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Just don't use Pilot to ship it.

#136 3 years ago

He emailed me on Monday and said pilot would take up to 5 business days to send the claim form..... that the last I’ve heard anything.... I emailed him back to let him know it was BDK and not Batman forever..... total sh#% show so far..... from every aspect

EB48BA2A-4109-4626-A32F-1EF1524DFA1B (resized).pngEB48BA2A-4109-4626-A32F-1EF1524DFA1B (resized).png
    #137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zplumb:

He emailed me on Monday and said pilot would take up to 5 business days to send the claim form..... that the last I’ve heard anything.... I emailed him back to let him know it was BDK and not Batman forever..... total sh#% show so far..... from every aspect
    [quoted image]

At least he's doing something...I would be relentless in pestering the guy until u get some sort of workable resolution

#138 3 years ago

Yeah, I don't get it. The seller is a serious collector who's had dozens of high end games many duplicates to boot. He knows what things cost and saying it's a "$200 fix" is complete Bull. If you grab that NOS cabinet I think you'll be way ahead as far as cost to fix it all. Hope you do.

3 weeks later
    #139 3 years ago

Any updates on this?

4 months later
    #140 3 years ago

Did anything ever come of this?

6 months later
    #141 2 years ago

Wtf happened with this....

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collector-quality-to-needs-some-work-after-pilot-freight-delivert-/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.