IMG_7605 (resized).png
IMG_7374 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0007 (resized).JPG
IMG_0006 (resized).JPG
IMG_2122 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2117 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2118 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SergioJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#139 2 years ago

Here’s a few that I’ve had up for a while. I started collecting these through the FIL who was into antiques and going to auctions etc. with him. Unfortunately he’s not collecting anymore, so am going through his collection to see what I want to keep and what should move on. I’ll post more as I get them hung up. I got the distillery sign at the York show one year...

1AD4D6F5-CE68-499C-B5D6-06DC06C989C7 (resized).jpeg1AD4D6F5-CE68-499C-B5D6-06DC06C989C7 (resized).jpeg26243E44-3C0B-44D1-8466-187E10A00371 (resized).jpeg26243E44-3C0B-44D1-8466-187E10A00371 (resized).jpeg8A2A9BAB-29E4-4453-81D7-A10B4F7366A6 (resized).jpeg8A2A9BAB-29E4-4453-81D7-A10B4F7366A6 (resized).jpegB353FFF9-AF61-4695-8362-8AC2550521F1 (resized).jpegB353FFF9-AF61-4695-8362-8AC2550521F1 (resized).jpeg
#143 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You absolutely MUST get neon back in that Star Model Beer sign, for the love of Zoidburg, please.

Lol! Yeah I’ve thought about it but never looked into it strongly. It’s obviously meant to be a double sided sign and I don’t have the frame or other side to it, so I’m not sure how hard it would be to do it. It’s not very stiff as it hangs now. It’s a great sign though.....

How do other folks handle that?

1 week later
#148 2 years ago

A bunch of the small signs I decided to keep from the FIL’s collection. Anybody know what the triangle “A” goes to?

968890EA-ED19-4336-8997-B90C49E875CB (resized).jpeg968890EA-ED19-4336-8997-B90C49E875CB (resized).jpegAB7447FD-DC64-49B8-AB15-F74E3FB6E41A (resized).jpegAB7447FD-DC64-49B8-AB15-F74E3FB6E41A (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#166 1 year ago

Latest acquisition, Anchor Steam beer. Heavy sucker too. I’m trying to date the era and all I’ve been able to figure out is that it’s likely pre 1965. I’m basing that on the older style logo. The thing that’s throwing me off is the 1851 date on it. All of the later logo’s refer to 1896 which is when a transfer of ownership occurred. I’ve not been able to find anything else Anchor Steam that talks about 1851. Any breweriana guys out there that might have a better handle on it?

E5D46EBD-6A0B-4FAB-B3D2-450070B726DD (resized).jpegE5D46EBD-6A0B-4FAB-B3D2-450070B726DD (resized).jpeg
#169 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My bet is it's a reproduction with an incorrect date. I believe they come from India?

Yeah I had concerns around that too and I’ve seen the ones from India. I don’t think this is a repro though because I couldn’t find another one listed anywhere on the net despite doing several variations of extensive searches. The seller was also California based, so it seems to make sense that it’s genuine. There was one sold a while back that I saw, somewhat similar condition, but didn’t have any additional info with it.

Quoted from radium:

Made me curious. The only mention of 1851 I could find was this…
Then I found they have a beer called Flying Cloud…
Down at the bottom they mention this ship was famous for making trips from NY to SF.
[quoted image]
Neat sign.

Thanks for that and for digging into it. I think that beer would be post-1965 though, so if it was advertising their stout, I’m not sure why they would use an old logo. I think they would also specify it on the sign. But then who knows, maybe they just thought it was neater and did it lol.

10 months later
#172 10 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Amazing collection John!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Agreed. I wish I’d collected more back when they were a lot cheaper, but I spent my spare money on pins instead so I guess it all worked out lol. That Yuengling sign is a great one. I totally expected that to be beer related until I took a closer look at it. Been keeping my eyes out for new acquisitions but there’s very little out there….

#181 10 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Picked up three more yesterday. The Pennzoil needs some clean up and it's double sided. I tried to get many others but my pockets were not deep enough.
John

Nice ones! I hear you on the pockets. Seems like just like with pins, there’s more folks out there with way more money to burn on these things than me. Your Gulf pick up and Ex-Lax thermometer reminded me of this one which I don’t think I’ve posted before. Also from the FIL’s collection….

IMG_2456 (resized).jpegIMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#182 9 months ago

Latest acquisition….it’s a small one, but spent many a summer in Peoria so it makes me smile…

IMG_2479 (resized).jpegIMG_2479 (resized).jpeg
#184 9 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Not all porcelain signs but some of them are.

That Snow White cream soda thermometer is really cool!

#188 9 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Those Piedmont chairs are pretty cool. I have a Piedmont sign myself that's in really bad shape. Not sure what's all over it and so far I've got nothing here that will take off whatever that brown stuff is. This is just the way I got it. Any suggestions?
John
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks oxidized maybe? I’ve not tried either of the recommendations on these web pages so take it all with a huge grain of salt, but they are a place to start anyway;

https://roadrelics.com/best-way-clean-porcelain-signs/

This one is more pottery oriented, but I think the part about cleaning the glaze might apply;

https://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pages/Pottery-tips/removing-dark-crazing-lines-and-stains-from-porcelain-and-pottery.htm

Good luck with it and let me know the results if you try it. I’ve got a couple of signs in a similar spot. On another note, what do you guys use to remove the clips that held in the neon? I’ve got one where some of the clips have not been removed. Looks like they were screwed directly into the metal, and have rusted fast over the 80 or so years the sign was hanging outdoors lol! Thanks….

#199 9 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

No , it’s a metal type picture that’s framed in absolute perfect condition . I’ve been collecting all kind of stuff for years .I have the ‘59 Coke Cavalier 72-s with matching ‘59 coke cooler that I’m going to restore someday when I have the time to .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see some 3 Floyd’s in that Cavalier!

1 month later
#203 7 months ago

Not a new acquisition but finally was able to finish taking the hardware off and hang it. This is the only sign I’ve ever been a part of taking down. Long story short, it hung outside an old electronics store in Hanover PA, FIL and I each took a half after getting it at the auction but were responsible for taking it down. Been years but finally got it together.

IMG_2598 (resized).jpegIMG_2598 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#204 6 months ago

I’ve been looking at this sign in a local antique mall for a long time. Couldn’t talk the owner down on it, so finally just bit the bullet and bought it. Probably overpaid for it but I just really like the colors and style. It pops. It’s gotten really tough to find decent original signs. The only other sign I saw in my travels was a very cool Willys and Whippet dealer service sign. Way out of my budget of course lol…

IMG_2713 (resized).jpegIMG_2713 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SergioJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collecting-porcelain-signs?tu=SergioJ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.